Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Game Day v Dragons

Game Day v Dragons 3 years 5 months ago #19925

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 146
This is the place.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Game Day v Dragons 3 years 5 months ago #19926

• mutley
  • Thank you received: 205
Our NYC team have won 26-18 to move back into the top 8.

Our first grade team is 1-17.

Re:Game Day v Dragons 3 years 5 months ago #19927

• FanSince1995
  • Thank you received: 13
Good win

Re:Game Day v Dragons 3 years 5 months ago #19928

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
For those who missed the game in Penrith yearterday afternoon, the Panthers posted a impressive twelve try romp against the last placed Bears.

NSW Cup Full Time

Penrith Panthers 68 (Capewell 3, Nabuli 2, Moss, W Naiqama, K Naiqama, Murdoch-Masila, N Smith, Eisenhuth, Latu. 10 Goals) def.

North Sydney Bears 12
(Hyland, Grevsmuhl. 2 Goals)
Last Edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Steve Tidball.
The following user(s) said Thank You   hivnoh holova

Re:Game Day v Dragons 3 years 5 months ago #19929

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
The Holden Cup Panthers continue to hit their straps in a impressive win over top four placed NYC Dragons. They now sit on 8th and continue to hold their place in the race for the finals.

Holden Cup Full Time

Penrith Panthers 26 (Smith, Watene-Zelezniak, Creighton 2, Brackenhoffer. 3 Goals) def.

St George Illawarra Dragons 18 (McCrae, Aitken, Crook. 3 Goals)

Re:Game Day v Dragons 3 years 5 months ago #19930

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
Despite a mounting injury toll in season 2014, the Panthers defied the critics once a again to put in a solid defensive effort and smart attacking plan to shutdown a spirited Dragons outfit to secure their spot in the top 4 for another week.

NRL Full Time

Penrith Panthers 16 (Segeyaro, Docker, Idris. 2 Goals) def.

St George Illawarra Dragons 4 (Morris.)

Game Day v Dragons 3 years 5 months ago #19931

• Dufeyz
  • Thank you received: 44
We cant miss the finals now! 2 more wins, is probably a guaranteed top 4, but they wont come easy.

Game Day v Dragons 3 years 5 months ago #19933

our injury toll is just so tragic..

if we still boasted Peachey, Taylor, Bryce, Wal..... i would be thinking seriously about a premiership.
The following user(s) said Thank You   Steve Tidball

Game Day v Dragons 3 years 5 months ago #19934

• Griggsy
  • Thank you received: 22
What a great game from Soward. He really stood up today and led from the front. Docker, as always was outstanding and even Sika got some good metres.
4 big games to go. The Cowboys don't travel well so hopefully that is another win and we always do well against the Storm. Hopefully with the big crowd we can get them back for earlier in the season.
Great time to be a Panther Fan. Feeling sorry for the Tiger fans though. They must be doing it tough.

Game Day v Dragons 3 years 5 months ago #19935

• Tylooper
  • Thank you received: 197
Another great tough win. When was the last time we finished a match with 17 players available? This is a club that has developed a resilience that very few can match. Today's defensive effort was one right off the top shelf and the team should be proud of their efforts.

Jamie and Chicko guided the team around the park beautifully and Moylan was a perfect foil at the back. The forward pack rolled up their sleeves and moved up the park as a good team should. There is not a superstar amongst them but give me our pack over any other. I was very impressed with the defence of the centre's and wingers on both sides of the park. Besides the first try, the boys frustrated the Dragons into kicking early and hoping for the best.

Even though the so called experts keep waiting for Penrith to fall over, everyone has forgotten to tell Ivan and the boys that they should be losing. Confidence is a wonderful thing and add determination and courage and you get what Penrith is about. We may not have the glamour of some of the other teams but we do have a big heart. I'm thoroughly enjoying this ride and I have no doubt that we are in this premiership right up to our eyeballs.
Last Edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Tylooper.
The following user(s) said Thank You   mutley, hivnoh holova, Pomoz, Goonji, hk panther

Game Day v Dragons 3 years 5 months ago #19936

• Goonji
  • Thank you received: 33
Another very good win for the Panthers. Our defence frustrated the Dragons and probably all the experts who keep waiting for our team to fall over.

Re:Game Day v Dragons 3 years 5 months ago #19937

• Dal
Q

Game Day v Dragons 3 years 5 months ago #19938

• brown
  • Thank you received: 4
yes very impressed with our defence today that's what won the game today we are going to be a top team with ivan and gus guiding us with in 2 yrs

Re:Game Day v Dragons 3 years 5 months ago #19939

• Dal
Great win full of heart
Segeyaro has matured into a first class hooker with a extra point of attack which is the best in the competition this year u only have to look at his 12 try's what a player
There a lot of players that stood up today and I am I proud panthers fan bring on the high flying cowboys next week.

Re:Game Day v Dragons 3 years 5 months ago #19941

• Panther1967
  • Thank you received: 142
The Cows and Storm games are very winnable.

And in the last round,it will be interesting to see whether we will rest players if we are in the final four and cannot improve our position.

Manly at Brookie would be the acid test in where we truly stand.

And remember,the other teams in the top 4 are going to be belting the crap out of each other which will mean an easier run for that top 4 position,as well as those other sides in the 4 getting their share of injuries.

Providing [touch-wood] we don't get any more ourselves.

But the bottom line is that the ball is in our court,and we will be masters of our own destiny.

The way we played today and so far this season,only reinforces the belief that the players and the club in it's entirety,have in themselves.

Its a testament to them,the coaching staff,and the front office.

And more to come.

Re:Game Day v Dragons 3 years 5 months ago #19943

• P4N7H3R5
  • Thank you received: 48
In the last few weeks I think Lewis Brown has shown a few fans why he deserves a spot in the team. Not only can he cover almost any position he gains tough metres and defends well. Biggest improvement in his game is curbing his enthusiasm in and around the ruck. His penalties have dropped ten fold.

We won't have a full strength side leading into the finals but if we play with the same patience, commitment and resolve that has won us games so far this year then there is no reason why we can't do damage come September.
The following user(s) said Thank You   Pomoz, Wazza2750

Re:Game Day v Dragons 3 years 5 months ago #19944

• Pomoz
  • Thank you received: 204
Just a few points not covered by others:

- Simmons went off and so we had to adjust our defence to cover. The Dragons have two of the best wingers in the comp, in fact Morris is probably the best winger. Joey kept encouraging them to attack the wings and when they did, they were driven into touch and threw the ball to row z. How good is our team that we lose a player and just adjust without any problem?

- We sometimes forget that Yeo is just a young bloke in his debut season. He has filled in at wing, centre, back row. He covered when Simmons went off and they got no change from him. He belts the ball up the middle and gets bashed and just goes again. He might not do anything spectacular, but he makes few mistakes and works his arse off. He is tough as and quicker than he looks. Well done young man.

- Our wingers would have to be two of the hardest workers in the competition. Mansour took the ball up the middle and got bashed repeatedly. he doesn't crab, he hits the line and usually makes at least 5 metres from the point of contact. Simmons does the same, although doesn't make as many metres (Mansour is really Samson in disguise, he is just so bloody strong). There are no "wingers are people who hang around footballers" at our club.

- Get your Raybans out, our figure is bright. Did you notice that Blake and DZW were playing u20's at the weekend? I forgot how young they are. Blake must have loved playing against boys again. Sometimes he even looks like he is playing boys in reggies, I can't wait to see him fully develop as a player.
Last Edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Pomoz.

Re:Game Day v Dragons 3 years 5 months ago #19946

• Kevin
  • Panthers Hate Parra
  • Thank you received: 187
A good tough win

I had mixed emotions watching Tim Grant, saw him pack into the first scrum and thought, He really does belong here, then the penalties came along and I changed my tune ha haaaaa

At least we know he will put in for Penrith regardless of next year, a couple of silly penalties but that could be pent up aggression, if he stays in 1's he will settle and could be our X factor coming into the finals.

Lewy Brown passing :woohoo: I thought that was his best game this year, tough metres as someone mentioned and an energy that lifts the team.

Sika showed signs of improvement too, a much better effort from him.

Our injuries could be bringing these blokes out of their shells.

My only negative was Idris, he just didn't get going, hopefully that try will "pep" him up, he needs a greater energy with the ball in hand.

Re:Game Day v Dragons 3 years 5 months ago #19947

• shazza
  • Thank you received: 162
In recent seasons a visit to WIN Stadium has been regarded as pretty much a right-off, I can’t remember the last time we came away with the biscuits from the Steelers’ stronghold. Certainly, heading off to play an in form, near full strength, Dragons outfit, our “understrength” team could have been excused for going into the game with survival rather than victory as their main objective. Put up a credible show, keep the Dragons to as few points as possible given the circumstances, avoid more injuries and live to fight another day.
The players, to a man, obviously misread or chose to ignore the script because from the kickoff confidence was paramount as they opted for full out aggression in both attack and defence. Even the 4th minute try from Morris did little to curb our team’s enthusiasm as they immediately hit back to put the Dragons solitary scoring highlight behind them.

Every single player who took to the field yesterday can feel proud of his effort because there wasn’t a single passenger amongst the 17. Segeyaro was again outstanding and probably MoM in most people’s eyes but Jamie Soward, who probably had more pressure on him than anyone, was equally dominant in the way he rallied his troups and steered the team around the park although his kicking was a bit less selective than it might have been.

The standout for me, in the forwards, was big Sam McKendry who I thought had just about his best game ever for the club. His powerful running in the rucks set the tone for our entire forward pack. Nigel Plum, Jeramy Latimore and the resurrected Tim Grant all toiled tirelessly and even the down on form Sica Manu, despite a couple of unforced errors, ran with a lot more purpose and venom than he has all season. Docker, had another marathon stint on the field and tackled himself to a standstill. We forget he’s still relatively new to first-grade and I’m sure his offensive skills will continue to improve as Cleary gives him more responsibilities in this area as we struggle to overcome the loss of Elijah Taylor and Tyrone Peachey. “Mr. Perpetual Motion” Lewis Brown mightn’t have as much class as his former Warriors team-mate ET, but what he lacks in creativity and natural ability, he more than makes up for with sheer hard work and uncompromising commitment to getting the job done.

Young Will Smith was given a lot of dummy half duty, which freed Segeyaro up to do a lot more roving. He (Smith) did a good job with limited opportunities and I’m pleased to see he’s being eased into the team structure, rather than being tossed in at the deep end. By the end of the season I’m sure he’ll be playing a more traditional 5/8 roll and I’m confident by then the real Will Smith will stand up and announce himself as a class player of the future.

Josh Mansour was again outstanding. This powerhouse runner of the football just doesn’t know when he’s tackled. Untill he’s on his back, with his hands tied behind his back, you can just about guarantee he’s got another 5 or 10 metres still in him. He must have just about the best fend in the League and as for work ethic, no one is more committed to getting down and dirty with the hard graft, coming out of trouble.

It’s going to be a tough game next week and I have to admit it’s not a game I’m particularly confident of winning. The good news is, it’s not what I think that counts, it’s what the players think and right now, I think they think they can beat anyone.

Shazza
The following user(s) said Thank You   hivnoh holova

Game Day v Dragons 3 years 5 months ago #19948

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
Have to disagree with you there Kevin.

I thought Idris had a pretty good game just to point a few achievements in the game;

He racked up the second most metres for Penrith (125m).

He also was one of only 3 (Idris, Segeyaro, Docker) for Penrith to make a line break. They were also the 3 to score tries.

He had an impressive 95% Tackle Success rate (20 tackles, 19 completed, 1 missed)

Granted, he had 3 errors (3 handling errors) but if you watched them, you will find 2 of them were from 'poor delivery'.

There is room to improve for Jamal, no doubt, but he did have a good game on Sunday in my opinion.

P.S: Sorry for the overuse of stats Kev. Though on this occasion it does highlight the point of Idris performance on Sunday.
The following user(s) said Thank You   mutley, smokeypanther, Pomoz, HillsPanther, Ross, Wazza2750

Game Day v Dragons 3 years 5 months ago #19949

• Kevin
  • Panthers Hate Parra
  • Thank you received: 187
Appreciate the Stats Steve, they obviously read better than my perception of his performance.

I haven't questioned his defence, however the 125m does surprise me, 20 of them were when he scored.

How many runs did he have to get to 125m?

Do they count sideways as run metres?

I saw a couple of runs where his attacking "effort" was minimal and he was easy pickings. I guess that is what has stuck in my mind......I was Boozed up....and I mean about 20 cans into it ha haaaaa :blink:

Anyway, still happy to have him there, he can change a game, but I would have thought his "condition" would have improved by now, I mean he always seems to be knackered.
The following user(s) said Thank You   Steve Tidball

Game Day v Dragons 3 years 5 months ago #19950

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
Kevin wrote:
How many runs did he have to get to 125m?

13 runs for 125m (9.6m average). He ran about 12m to score his try.

Kevin wrote:
Do they count sideways as run metres?

Nope. Just forward metres.
The following user(s) said Thank You   Kevin

Game Day v Dragons 3 years 5 months ago #19953

• Puss
  • Thank you received: 259
....... A real gritty performance. They done us proud. It won't be any easier against the Cowboys and I hope our fellas can rise to the occasion once more.

I obviously see forward play different to many here but I agree with Shazza, McKendry had another strong game. He rarely surrenders in tackles, gets his share of offloads away, is quick to rise in the play the ball, and takes one hell of an effort to pull up. He runs his share of decoys, passes along a line and doesn't shirk his defensive duties. Segeyaro often shadows Big Sam to good effect. I know opposition forwards find our bloke awkward to say the least. He'll do me any day of the week.

Game Day v Dragons 3 years 5 months ago #19954

• Puss
  • Thank you received: 259
Puss wrote:
....... A real gritty performance. They done us proud. It won't be any easier against the Cowboys and I hope our fellas can rise to the occasion once more.

I obviously see forward play different to many here but I agree with Shazza, McKendry had another strong game. He rarely surrenders in tackles, gets his share of offloads away, is quick to rise in the play the ball, and takes one hell of an effort to pull up. He runs his share of decoys, passes along a line and doesn't shirk his defensive duties. Segeyaro often shadows Big Sam to good effect. I know opposition forwards find our bloke awkward to say the least. He'll do me any day of the week.

This metre eater yardage can be totally misleading for a prop forward. They do the hard yards, the outside men are supposed to make the yardage. They don't do it through the middle of the ruck. So I don't see the point throwing numbers willy hilly around without knowing the circumstances of any gain in context with the game. Nearly every week I see Latimore and others lauded for their efforts in 'chewing up the metres' along with Mansour etc etc. I reckon you blokes sell McKendry short.
Last Edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Puss.

Game Day v Dragons 3 years 5 months ago #19958

• mutley
  • Thank you received: 205
Steve Tidball wrote:
Have to disagree with you there Kevin.

I thought Idris had a pretty good game just to point a few achievements in the game;

He racked up the second most metres for Penrith (125m).

He also was one of only 3 (Idris, Segeyaro, Docker) for Penrith to make a line break. They were also the 3 to score tries.

He had an impressive 95% Tackle Success rate (20 tackles, 19 completed, 1 missed)

Granted, he had 3 errors (3 handling errors) but if you watched them, you will find 2 of them were from 'poor delivery'.

There is room to improve for Jamal, no doubt, but he did have a good game on Sunday in my opinion.

P.S: Sorry for the overuse of stats Kev. Though on this occasion it does highlight the point of Idris performance on Sunday.
I thought this was one of Jamal's best games for us. Granted, there is still room for improvement, but he is heading in the right direction & hopefully will step up another gear or two in the finals.
The following user(s) said Thank You   Wazza2750
  • Page: