Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: R4 Knights v Panthers - Game Day Thread

R4 Knights v Panthers - Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21641

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 146
This is the place.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

R4 Knights v Panthers - Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21642

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
Holden Cup Full Time

Newcastle Knights 28 (Lamb, Phythian, Cogger, Birch, Levi. 4G)
Penrith Panthers 8 (Jay 2.)

HT: Knights 18 led. Panthers 4
Last Edit: 2 years 9 months ago by Steve Tidball.

R4 Knights v Panthers - Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21644

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
VB NSW Cup Full Time

Newcastle Knights 18 (Feeny, Redmond, Filipo 3G)
Penrith Panthers 16 (Akeripa, Coates, Scarlett 2G)

HT: Knights 16 led. Panthers 0

Heartbreaking game. The scores were leveled with 5 minutes left on the clock. A knock-on gave Newcastle the ball on the Panther line. First field goal attempt was stopped, the second attempt by Newcastle was deflected and bounced into an offside Sopoaga.

Knights take the penalty kick as the siren sounds in the difference to take the 2 point win 18-16.

R4 Knights v Panthers - Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21645

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
NRL Full Time

Newcastle Knights 26 (Houston, Clydsdale, Gidley, Uate. 5G)
Penrith Panthers 14 (Mansour, Moylan, Whare. 1G)

HT: Knights 18 led. Panthers 4
The following user(s) said Thank You   Panther1967

R4 Knights v Panthers - Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21646

• Panther1967
  • Thank you received: 142
Wouldn't you know it,an hour before the game,I get called out to an I.T. issue.

Just got back about 20 mins ago...but alas,it looks as though it'll be the highlights for me to watch over.

R4 Knights v Panthers - Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21647

• Puss
  • Thank you received: 259
....... a dismal performance. Our lauded depth exposed. Our forwards were manhandled. I thought we were soft.

Poor ole Wallace got shmacked, little or no protection. He was brave but ineffective. They need more tham Merrin up front to deliver some grunt. That Taylor has got some motor and Chico's cheek was missed, but at the end of the day.... a weekend I'd rather forget.

R4 Knights v Panthers - Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21648

• Tylooper
  • Thank you received: 197
Same as Monday night.....to much lateral play and not enough hitting it up the guts. We really miss Jamie and losing Chicko was a big blow.

There is not much more to say than that. At least we don't support the rugby union team....Cronulla Sharks. That intercept made my day a little bit more palatable. Why you would go for an extra 2 points when you are 2 in front is beyond me.

Anyway....go Penrith.
The following user(s) said Thank You   mutley, Rabbit

R4 Knights v Panthers - Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21649

• Panther1967
On a brighter note,Panthers S.G Ball continued on it's points scoring winning ways with a resounding 36-18 win over Newcastle.

Panthers:Tries: Reed Izzard 2, Nathan Cleary, Wayde Egan, Mark Laban, Terrell Smith.Goals: Cleary 6.

Bt Newcastle:Tries: Matt Faitotoa 2, Samuel McIntyre, Brodie Jones. Goals: Brendan O'Hagan

This win jumps the Panthers into outright 3rd spot on the ladder with two rounds to play until the finals.

Panther's Matts side had a 26 all draw.

Panthers:Tries: Jake Tago 2, Dylan McBain, Brendan Hands, Jordan-Trae Cadona. Goals: Thomas Lofts 3

Newcastle:Tries: Callum Wesley, Jack Threadgate, Triston Reilly, Tex Hoy, Matt Croker. Goals: Hoy.

R4 Knights v Panthers - Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21650

• Rabbit
  • Thank you received: 60
One hundred percent agree with Tylooper, no one is running onto the ball to run through the line. Wallace was under pressure but made bad decisions especially his kicks at the beginning.
Moylan is nowhere near as effective without Soward inside him. I thought we would miss Soward but not this Much.
I said this last week if you don’t start with first try 90 percent of the games this year, First scorer wins! Every Panther game has gone that way as well. There has been a few last grasp wins but if a team scores first they will probably lead for the first 75 minutes. It’s all about confidence. Let’s hope Penrith start with a try next week!
Video refs are killing us. Both weeks both turning point tries disallowed.

R4 Knights v Panthers - Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21651

• mutley
  • Thank you received: 205
Despite our ordinary performance, I thought we were the better team for 60 minutes yesterday. Unfortunately the first 20 minutes, in particular our defence in the first 20, killed us.

As Tylooper pointed out, there was too much lateral play in attack. We looked completely lost without Soward & Segeyaro steering the ship. The late withdrawal of John didn't help things, but I think that putting Cartwright in at 5/8 was a mistake. We probably would have been better served with Moylan 5/8, DWZ fullback, Whare wing, Yeo centre or possibly Koroisau 5/8, Brown hooker.

The "No try" call against Idris has again highlighted the deficiency of the current video system, where the video referee needs to find evidence to overturn the on field decision. As I said last week, the video ref should be going in with an open mind & making a decision based on what they see. Whether or not it would have been awarded otherwise is still a 50/50 call, but at least we would would have had a chance of getting the call in that situation.

R4 Knights v Panthers - Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21652

• mr walker
  • Thank you received: 129
Very disappointing display. Outplayed by a bunch of pensioners who run harder and hit harder & wanted to win more.

We need to have more try scoring options then running into the corner and hoping to just have DWZ coming up with a miracle put down in the corner, or kicking a highball into the corners on the last.

Lot of work to do. The makeup of our pack is not working - some hard decisions to me made Ivan. But unlike your predecessor, I am confident you will come up with the right decisions.

R4 Knights v Panthers - Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21653

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
As has already been said the game was virtually decided in the first 20 minutes. 3 unanswered tries made it a massive task to win.

In saying that I may I highlight some good things I noticed in that game.

Our second half was much better than our first. This has been the case for every game except for Round 1.

Despite making many more tackles in the first half, the team had energy and were able to outplay the Knights in the last 20. This was the case last week too against the Roosters. Having the ability to play the full 80 minutes with little fatigue can make the difference in tight games.

We were horribly unlucky with the referee yesterday. Had the Idris and Wallace tries been deemed a tries by the on field referee, I am pretty confident that they were 50/50 enough for the Video referee to be unable to overturn them. This would have been a 12 point turnaround and potentially had the game leveled at 26-26.

Despite the last minute shuffle to the team, I don't think this performance warrants the scorn and abuse placed on players on mediums like Facebook.

We'll be back at home this week, and will probably see John, Segeyaro and Plum return to the squad to play the Cowboys. I have a feeling we will be back in the winners circle.
The following user(s) said Thank You   mutley

R4 Knights v Panthers - Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21654

• Puss
  • Thank you received: 259
........ Assistant coach David Fairleigh was a terrific back rower for the Bears and Nsw. Yet despite his size was as intimidating as Souf with all his body parts intact. I re iterate we were soft. MG hits harder and that's in the Triple M canteen.

Plum and Docker to stiffen the defence might just give the opposition something to think about. And Shazza, Cartwright ain't no five eighth. For heavens sake he's not even a regular 1st grader, yet !

There's work to do and we need to get fair dinkum or sit the final series out as we've been known to do over the last 10 years.
Bore it up 'em Ivan.

R4 Knights v Panthers - Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21655

Basically agree with all. We were disappointing beyond belief.

Clearly the Monday night and short turnaround of 5 days, the fact we were battered and bruised after playing the Roosters. contributed to our shocking start I thought i heard on the coverage that the Panthers caught the bus up the M1 on the morning of the game. Looked a bit jaded boys.
Once again we had 2 fair tries disallowed. What use is having an ex player in the box if he is shit scared to overrule a ex big headed ref in Shayne Hayne.
We will improve out of sight with Segeyaro and Soward.

Negatives- We were simply soft in the middle. When you get outplayed by Snowden, Faalongo, Stockwell and Houston really your props are letting you down. Docker and Plum will bring some bite to the defence but soft as we were on Sat is unacceptable.
Peter Wallace was ordinary in attack and defence early. Disturbingly ordinary and predictable.

Positives- Taylor was outstanding, Jamal tried hard, Mansour, Whare and Cartwright were good at times, RCG looked our best go forward guy. We have a decent break between our next game whilst the Cowboys play the Storm tonight
The biggest positive i look at is that last year we lost twice to the Sharks and finished top 4. This year no shame in losing to the Roosters at home most team will. Knights at home looks like a more difficult game than in previous years.

R4 Knights v Panthers - Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21659

• Kevin
  • Panthers Hate Parra
  • Thank you received: 187
We don't have any Arseholes in our team, you know the win at all costs attitude that makes you play on the edge of penaltyville.

That grub Jeremy Smith should be suspended for tripping, I paused that "Cumberland Throw" and it was a blatant trip.

The Knights intimidated us, end of story.

The second? try they scored, the one under the posts said it all, the ball has been planted and Jeremy Smith pushes McKendry like he was a school kid, McKendry did nothing, I would have jobbed the idiot, but that is what those grubs do, get in your face an challenge your man hood.

We have a real issue with aggression in our team, without it, I don't see how we will win a comp. :(

R4 Knights v Panthers - Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21661

• Panther1967
We'll be O.K. when the troops return.

Then "The Firm" will be back to do some damage.

R4 Knights v Panthers - Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21669

• Kevin
  • Panthers Hate Parra
  • Thank you received: 187
1967 - We were shown up to be soft bruised apples in the Major Semi last year, Graham was in all our faces and no-one stood up to him. From that we have halves who are watching over their shoulder because they have no protection.

At least Merrin is happy to stand and deliver if necessary, at the moment we have the girl guide association playing front row. From our current stocks I would suggest only BMM is prepared to "give it" but he is injured.

If I was Ivan Cleary, I would take a pocket full of rocks into the sheds before we play the Cowboys and throw them at our front row, Taumololo? will have a field day against our "hold and release" tackling style.