Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: R5 Panthers v Cowboys - Game Day Thread

R5 Panthers v Cowboys - Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21679

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 146
This is the place.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:R5 Panthers v Cowboys - Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21680

• Dal
Don't feel very confident at all.
We are looking like a team which can win games but it seems without Soward that's looking more and more unlikely.
We had a million injures last year but there was one person guiding us around to almost a grand final birth and it is seeming Sowie is becoming the "JT" in our team because we can't win without him.
Hope that turns around real quick and doesn't become a ongoing issue

R5 Panthers v Cowboys - Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21681

• Dufeyz
  • Thank you received: 44
This will be the first home game at penrith I won't be attending in over 2 years. I'm so salty. The weather is supposed to be shithouse though. Hopefully Blake makes his debut

R5 Panthers v Cowboys - Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21682

• Puss
  • Thank you received: 259
..... Dear oh dear. We are awful. We put in that effort in the second half they'll lap us. Up the middle soft. We rest 2 after 10 minutes and the sting is gone. Yeah, yeah Sowards missing, but he don't tackle up the middle. And our attack, one swooping move that looks good if it works, but the opposition know that move now. Wallace might consider taking on the line. We need to collectively pull our finger out coz we look like we're starting a five year plan not realising years of hard work.
The following user(s) said Thank You   souf aussie panther

R5 Panthers v Cowboys - Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21683

I was worried about this game.......to many players playing out of position.

LP

R5 Panthers v Cowboys - Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21684

• Purcy
Injuries aside, the boys had nothing, absolutely nothing. That bad :(

R5 Panthers v Cowboys - Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21685

• Dufeyz
You can blame the refs, but then u think of mansours performance. Shit effort from him

R5 Panthers v Cowboys - Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21686

Penrith circa 2007.

Mansour out, Jennings back in.

Peachey or Cartwright....not both.

Idris back to center.

Wallace is fading...fast.

at least we will always have 2014.

and Ivan...you have much work to do.

to all those who said Soward was a poor signing.... you know less than nothing.

R5 Panthers v Cowboys - Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21687

• brown
  • Thank you received: 4
you are so right puss very soft up the middle we won't make the 8

R5 Panthers v Cowboys - Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21688

• panthermike
  • Thank you received: 10
I am a thousand kilometres away and feel like throwing some water bottles at someone but I don,t know who..panthers or officials. we had/have nothing.

R5 Panthers v Cowboys - Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21689

• Griggsy
  • Thank you received: 22
Last night reminded me of the'Matthew Elliott' Days. Looked like the boys were just going through their paces with not a worry in the world. Sure we had some bad calls from the refs, but after watching on tv it was only the second video call in the second half that was dodgy.

We have lost our passion. Don't understand why we played a hooker at 5/8, What happened to Isaac, why was he dropped?

Not only were the players bad but so was the crowd. Only 8000+, we should have been over 10000. Hopefully we can improve on Saturday night against Manly. That drum thing at half time was a farce. I thought with so many drums handed out it would have been a lot bigger.

We need to get our passion back and start playing footy. We can't afford to lose all our games until Soward is back, we will be way to far down the ladder.

R5 Panthers v Cowboys - Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21690

• Dufeyz
It was supposed to rain right on 7pm. I still would have been there if I could have gone. Maybe our left edge is just missing sowards voice. Also, I really liked idris in the forwards. I don't think he had too many runs, but the hits he made in defence were outstanding. If Blake can become the better centre, with Merrin coming here we will have a really strong team.

R5 Panthers v Cowboys - Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21691

• Tylooper
  • Thank you received: 197
Simple message - it's time to pull your heads out of your backsides. What you achieved last year, means absolutely nothing this year. The last 3 teams you have played all ran the ball harder than you, defended their line better than you and offered more variation in attack than you.

If the Penrith players don't want to be another typical 'one season wonder' that we continuously produce, it is time that they pulled their finger out. Run harder at the defensive line and get a quick play the ball. Not, run to the line, turn as you get there and fall over like a limp piece of lettuce. Bring Sam Anderson and Adam Docker back, at least they run a million miles an hour at the line.

Another thing.....that play were Moylan sweeps around the back of Wallace, passes it to Whare and DWZ has no room to work his magic....it's not working, the opposition slide too well these days and have worked it out. It's time for some variation.

Anyway, life goes on. Hopefully it will be a more spirited effort against Manly next week.
Last Edit: 2 years 9 months ago by Tylooper.
The following user(s) said Thank You   mutley, mr walker

R5 Panthers v Cowboys - Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21692

• mr walker
  • Thank you received: 129
Tylooper pretty well summed it up.

Whilst the video reviews are killing us and the lack of consistency from the on-field refs is disgraceful (10m & laying in the tackles), we are just not playing hard enough. Last week Houston, Smith & Scott looked like Supermen smashing us in attack & defence. I watched them this week and they played more Lois Lane. Ditto the roosters a week earlier. Our forwards need to hit the line hard, with support, & put some shoulder into our tackling.

We are definitely a big body short in our roster.... but we all knew that already. Mose???

See you at the game.... all 15,000 of you :ohmy:

R5 Panthers v Cowboys - Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21693

• benos
  • Thank you received: 49
I wish all the players had the same attitude as Elijah Taylor. He looked out on his feet after the game. Spud was almost holding him up to support him. I just had a look at the stats and he made a massive 76 tackles in 80 mins!! RCG also made 150 metres and 33 tackles from 46 mins on the field. He's really starting to stand up.
I thought Nigel Plum had absolutely no impact, maybe rushed back in too early???

Josh Mansour had one of his worse games for a few years. Ran for less than 100 metres and had a bad pair of hands all night. Actually our back 3 had probably 1 of their worst games combined in a long time. DWZ made a simple error on a return, dropping it cold, we held them out for that set but the grubber kick was cleaned up by Moylan who ran across field rather than falling on the ball and then got dragged back in goal for a line drop out - they scored off the next set. This was to start of the 2nd half. DWZ then repeatedly kept getting driven backward near our line, once for a line drop out and a couple of times close to the same... he needs to keep low.

Then there was the video ref decisions. At the ground we couldn't see the screens too clearly to judge whether all 3 were in fact correct and I must admit I haven't seen any replays yet. But watching them on the screen at the game I walked away thinking that all 3 had reasons not to overturn them. Was there conclusive evidence to overturn that decision? I thought that was their mentality since the Panthers vs Roosters game when they said they couldn't overturn the DWZ try based on inconclusive evidence? I thought the same would apply here in all 3 cases. Was it knocked on by Coote? Can you say Moylan definately didn't get the ball down? Was there clear separation for Mansours try? I think at least 2 or the 3 didn't have 100% evidence to overturn it. But yet somehow all 3 went against us. So instead of it being 12-all going into halftime, the Cowboys work the ball off their line, we go for a charge down, Thurston picks it up and the rest is history.

Also did anyone else think that Coote had a nice little cheap shot at his former team mate Peter Wallace with the elbow at the end of the game? And then proceeds to start smiling about it afterwards? I think he just lost a lot of respect from all Panther fans that used to like him and wanted to see him do well. Well now I couldn't care less about him. Good riddance.

R5 Panthers v Cowboys - Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21694

• Dufeyz
Benos, the video refs made the right decision except for the mansour try. I'm not surprised because I'm pretty used to the bullshit that happens to us

R5 Panthers v Cowboys - Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21695

• Panther1967
  • Thank you received: 142
Nigel Plum needed that run for match fitness.With the obvious injuries,stack up the 1st grade experience between both teams and you find there is a big gap.

Plenty of rounds to go to get our hopes back up again.2 or three wins,and we'll be world beaters again in no time.

R5 Panthers v Cowboys - Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21696

Went to the game without great expectation. The Storm ill discipline the previous week with 10 mins to go and leading allowed the Cowboys great confidence. Thurston showed why the Great Gus offered him big money 2 weeks in a row. Cowboys are either greased lightening off the mark or got away with multiple offside plays. They deserve to be ripped off in Sept

Our forwards played poorly. Big Sam was a constant walker towards the end. Every drop out or even a penalty ET and Sam were the last on side so play could restart. Most blame Brent Kite and Manu when we are outplayed. This week they escape.

Our halves were uninspiring although Wallace defended much better than against Newc. He was nearly inspirational in defence if not in attack. Did someone play 5/8? Blake had a good debut if not for sprinting off his line and tackling no one. The winner of this award for not tackling however goes to Josh. Matt Wright was a Panther junior centre. We let him leave. Wright made Josh look very average simply by holding his width at the sideline. This seems to be a simple concept that despite playing for Australia Mansour has not learned. 3 tries to the Cows down Josh's wing with no one to beat. Could have been more.

Now for the scary stat: Without Soward we have not won a game. When he is out we turn to mush, predictable even. So it was stated on 2MMM for the long drive home with the dirts. Time to make another bid for Carney and Mose, Merrin is used to be outplayed up the middle.

R5 Panthers v Cowboys - Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21698

• Panther Jack
  • It's bad luck i swear.
  • Thank you received: 108
Looking forward to Tony Archer's always informative wrap of the referees decisions from the weekend.

And by that i mean treating NRL fans like morons by using fancy terminology whilst not actually justifying why the refs made those decisions.

Wait i've got to be quiet, the NRL will probably start fining fans for rightly criticising the refs...

I mean seriously, the seats have puddles in them, it's cold and i could think of a thousand better things to do than to stare at the big screen constantly replaying the same replays over and over only to 'magically' discover 100% conclusive evidence on the 11th replay that they didn't notice the first ten times they were viewing it.This didn't happen just once or twice, but THREE times.I love how this piece of overturning the original decision is consistent within the game.

I mean, it's not like there has been conclusive evidence to overturn decisions in our favour in the previous two rou...oh forget it.

And the NRL wonders why no one bothers to go to games.

They are pathetic.

I know, we weren't great, but each time i see "JT magic dazzles Penrith" or some rubbish like that i cringe, talk about sweeping it under the rug.
Last Edit: 2 years 9 months ago by Panther Jack.
The following user(s) said Thank You   Steve Tidball, mutley, souf aussie panther

R5 Panthers v Cowboys - Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21700

• Kevin
  • Panthers Hate Parra
  • Thank you received: 187
From what I saw of the game on TV (interrupted by the Storm on the North Coast) we really need to work on our ruck speed.

By that I mean, slow it down like the Rorters and Cowboys have, we are getting off way too early, we don't fight the ball carrier to hold them up, roll them over etc etc.

One of the biggest issues with that is, we don't have any aggression from our forwards in defence, Taylor made how many tackles......none of which would be deemed aggressive, we hit and release, our D is on the back foot and that my friends is a recipe for disaster in this day and age.

Yes, we will give a penalty or 2 using this practice but we will find that the "square up" will be too our benefit. Wallace questioned the last penalty where and the Ref said "I have blown 3 or 4 penalties against them for slowing the ruck so far".......but they are given an eternity to get off, we have one incident where Wallace is trying to get to marker, not roll around with the player, not 3rd man in to hold them up, or the flop (is that now allowed in the game because I'm seeing this more & more) but getting back to marker.

I would love to know the "tackle times" of each side, whatever it was, the Cowboys had at least double the time to get up.

R5 Panthers v Cowboys - Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21703

• Rabbit
  • Thank you received: 60
I think everyone on this forum has being a bit tough on our forwards. What I see as a supporter, is a Panther team always trying to offload, with this, comes more sideways play. From what I see from my years of watching league big lumbering front rowers or even back rowers need to get in position early and be primed to time there run. This is way harder to do if there are offloads or even the expectation of an offload can put you off your timing. And if there is an offload and the play ball spot is moved, well you are just not going to be in position for a decent run.
The Panthers seem to be promoting the ball more than any other team with a lot of second phase play, but no one seems to be hole running.
I don’t think it’s been the heart of our forwards that’s been the problem.
I have also noticed that with the faster play the balls this year - solid, fast of the mark back rowers that time their runs close to the ruck, and run straight down the middle have been killing it. Docker is the only player in the club that I can think of that does that. But instead of going down the middle were running to the sides.
Our defensive line is not as fast as last year, having said that Parramatta was superb with their line speed this week but still lost.
Another thing of note is Mansour is playing with an injured arm. Which means he is can’t hold on to the ball when he is hit, he can’t push away from defenders – which means he is breaking a lot less tackles. And also he looks to be down on confidence in defense. I think anyone would be if they could only use one arm. Bottom line if he is not fit, bring in Simmons and wait till he is fully fit.
Thurston killed us with his kicking game – the back three will be having nightmares. Soward is one of the few kickers that can match him in tactical kicking. Say no more.
I am with everyone else though, things have to change. No doubt we have the team. Just tinker with our style.

Re:R5 Panthers v Cowboys - Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21704

• Dal
Kevin wrote:
From what I saw of the game on TV (interrupted by the Storm on the North Coast) we really need to work on our ruck speed.

By that I mean, slow it down like the Rorters and Cowboys have, we are getting off way too early, we don't fight the ball carrier to hold them up, roll them over etc etc.

One of the biggest issues with that is, we don't have any aggression from our forwards in defence, Taylor made how many tackles......none of which would be deemed aggressive, we hit and release, our D is on the back foot and that my friends is a recipe for disaster in this day and age.

Yes, we will give a penalty or 2 using this practice but we will find that the "square up" will be too our benefit. Wallace questioned the last penalty where and the Ref said "I have blown 3 or 4 penalties against them for slowing the ruck so far".......but they are given an eternity to get off, we have one incident where Wallace is trying to get to marker, not roll around with the player, not 3rd man in to hold them up, or the flop (is that now allowed in the game because I'm seeing this more & more) but getting back to marker.

I would love to know the "tackle times" of each side, whatever it was, the Cowboys had at least double the time to get up.

Very true points Kevin
Also what u said about the penalty on Wallace that was a deadset joke I couldn't believe what I was watching.

Re:R5 Panthers v Cowboys - Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21707

• Kevin
  • Panthers Hate Parra
  • Thank you received: 187
That's the problem Dal, regardless of what is actually happening i.e. the Cowboys getting 5 seconds per tackle vs our 3 seconds, they get penalised 3 times and justified penalties and probably should have been a lot more, but the "Pea Punishers" will always find a "square up" as they did with the Wallace Penalty.

Heaven forbid we see a lobsided penalty count..........at the end of the game !

Check our stats for game penalties at half time vs full time, then check all games, I am sure you will find a trend of "squaring up" the count.

It frustrates the shit out of me that we don't know what is being said by Coaches re refereeing, such an integral part of our game and we the fan cannot find out what is being said.

Don't get me wrong, they don't need to be abused, but seriously, they need to be accountable.
The following user(s) said Thank You   mutley, Dal

R5 Panthers v Cowboys - Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21708

• richo
  • Thank you received: 111
Some pretty decent summations of what went on against the Cowboys so no need for me to rehash the same points.

Jonathon Thurston is pure class and we simply don't have a Jonathon Thurston, sadly.

The video referee's are not giving us a fair go, I don't care what anyone say's. The must have looked at our two 'tries' on ten occasions before overturning the decision of the on field official. I am still to be convinced there was overwhelming evidence to overturn either? But having said that we must be up to five or six video referee decisions this season that have all gone against us regardless of what the on field official has come up with.

For mine, Ben Murdoch Masila must come into our side once he returns and is match fit. He offers a lot more IMO than some currently being selected in front of him and that include some of our young up and comers who are yet to really hit there straps in the top grade.

Sam Anderson deserves a crack also as at least you know you will get 100% even if he is not the biggest of front rowers.

R5 Panthers v Cowboys - Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21709

• Panther Jack
  • It's bad luck i swear.
  • Thank you received: 108
Tony Archer's always informative wrap of the referees was posted today.

Just what i expected.

Fancy words coupled with no knowledge on what he was talking about.

Get this, he said the calls were justified because 'the refs were just making sure' and that the evidence doesn't necessarily have to be conclusive.

He said this despite saying the video ref decisions we have copped in the two weeks prior were correct because there wasn't sufficient evidence and that it wasn't conclusive.I mean, he literally said that whilst reviewing the round three and round four matches.

Talk about consistency.

Petition: www.change.org/p/national-rugby-league-t...the-penrith-panthers

I want all three weeks of decisions to be justified carefully in a format that doesn't signal that he believes all NRL fans are morons, also i want him to some how link them together and note how all three games of decisions were correct.

Seriously, i'd love to see him attempt to do that.I'm not a popcorn eater but i would certainly buy some to eat whilst watching him comically scramble for answers.

What a joke.The refs should be held accountable, not just hidden through this weekly rubbish known as 'referee review', which is more like 'weekly referee pressure release day'.

Also i agree on the points of tackle releases.I've always noted how quickly we release compared to the opposing teams but the penalty count is always basically the same at the end, i like Cleary's calm style but maybe he should fire some cannons in a press conference just once to at least let everyone know about our discomfort right now.
The following user(s) said Thank You   Dal
  • Page: