Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: R6 Panthers v Sea Eagles Game Day Thread

R6 Panthers v Sea Eagles Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21719

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 146
This is the place.

Looks like a mostly dry day today, with a few isolated showers, a perfect opportunity to get out to Pepper Stadium tonight to watch the Panthers get out of a 3 game losing streak.

As usual game results will be available through this site and Twitter @pantherpride_au

All Grades are playing today (this includes the last regular season round of Harold Matthews and SG Ball):

HMATTS: Penrith Panthers v Western Suburbs Magpies - 10:30am (LOCAL) @ Campbelltown Oval [WST 24-16]
SGBALL: Penrith Panthers v Western Suburbs Magpies - 12:00pm (LOCAL) @ Campbelltown Oval [PEN 48-8]
NYC: Penrith Panthers v Manly Warringah Sea Eagles - 3:15pm (LOCAL) @ Pepper Stadium [PEN 36-16]
NSWCUP: Penrith Panthers v Manly Warringah Sea Eagles - 5:15pm (LOCAL) @ Pepper Stadium [PEN 24-16]
NRL: Penrith Panthers v Manly Warringah Sea Eagles - 7:30pm (LOCAL) @ Pepper Stadium [PEN 22-12]
Last Edit: 2 years 9 months ago by Steve Tidball.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

R6 Panthers v Sea Eagles Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21720

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
HAROLD MATTHEWS FULL TIME

Western Suburbs Magpies 24 def.
Penrith Panthers 16

HT: Panthers 14 led. Magpies 0
Last Edit: 2 years 9 months ago by Steve Tidball.

R6 Panthers v Sea Eagles Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21721

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
SG BALL FULL TIME

Penrith Panthers 48 def.
Western Suburbs Magpies 8

HT: Panthers 18 led. Magpies 4

R6 Panthers v Sea Eagles Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21723

• Dufeyz
  • Thank you received: 44
Apparently Wallace is out. Can anyone confirm?

R6 Panthers v Sea Eagles Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21724

all im hearing are the usual crickets chirping...

Cartwright is in reserve grade (where he well and truly belongs).

R6 Panthers v Sea Eagles Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21725

• Puss
  • Thank you received: 259
....... efforts there but tactically we're lacking. We don't seem to be able to maintain any pressure. Manly are dictating territorially.

......... we've given the ball back on three separate occasions by my count through sloppy play. How do we win? Be patient, repeat sets ...... they fold.

R6 Panthers v Sea Eagles Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21726

• Panther1967
  • Thank you received: 142
A depleted Penrith side held on for a brave 22-12 victory over a similarly ravaged Manly side at Pepper Stadium on Saturday night – but lost star centre Jamal Idris to a possible ACL injury in the process.

WATCH: Panthers v Sea Eagles highlights

Not only were both teams already carrying three-game losing streaks into the contest, but neither were willing to carry their wounded players.

Penrith captain Peter Wallace was forced out with a knee injury on match eve, as was counterpart Brett Stewart, who was held out by a groin problem.

But they couldn't avoid the injuries they suffered during the match.

First Manly rookie Tom Trbojevic came off in the 19th with a high ankle sprain, followed shortly after by forward Jesse Sene-Lefao hitting the showers early when he injured his AC joint.

The Panthers matched them for injuries in the second half when stand-in skipper Elijah Taylor limped off with a lower leg problem in 52nd. And then he too was joined Idris when he crumpled to the turf three minutes later.

However Idris's exit proved to be a turning point in the match, with the home side crossing for three tries within 12 minutes.

Not long after Idris limped off the field, fullback Matt Moylan combined with Josh Mansour for the second time of the night on a left side shift in the 57th.

Four minutes later rookie Waqa Blake steamed onto an Api Koroisau short ball for the first try of his career, before the premiership-winning Rabbitoh put the game beyond Manly's reach when he finished off an enterprising passage four minutes after that.

Sea Eagles centre Steve Matai got his side within 10 when he took an offload from Cheyse Blair in the 71st, but the Panthers held on for a much-needed victory.

The hosts jumped out of the blocks in the third minute, when Moylan delivered a trademark cutout pass on a left-side shift that Mansour finished in the corner.

The visitors could've answered immediately when the Panthers failed to negotiate a Daly Cherry-Evans bomb in the 10th. But Taylor saved a certain try when he knocked the ball out of Kieran Foran's hands with the tryline in sight.

But it didn't take much longer for Foran to get his side across the stripe. The Eels-bound pivot finished off a third straight set with a neat dink into the in-goal for Justin Horo in the 24th to level the scores.

The Panthers blew a supreme opportunity to take a lead into half-time when Tyrone Peachey broke into the backfield in the 34th, but the utility dummied one too many times and failed to hit Dallin Watene-Zelezniak in support.

Instead it was the Sea Eagles – who completed 19 out of 22 sets in the first half – that took a two-point advantage into the break when Peta Hiku converted a 39th-minute penalty goal close to the uprights.

Penrith 22 (Mansour 2, Blake, Koroisau tries; Moylan 3 goals) def. Manly-Warringah 12 (Horo, Matai tries; Hiku 2 goals). Crowd: 11,170. Half-time: 6-8.

www.nrl.com/injuries-strike-as-panthers-...d/85294/default.aspx

A game which was more frustrating as the match went on.Errors in our game really indicates that we really are not yet ready for the big league.

I suppose we have to wait out until all of the troops are back on board until we resemble the side we had 6 weeks ago.

R6 Panthers v Sea Eagles Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21727

• Puss
  • Thank you received: 259
...... much better second half with some slick support and it was the Eagles who wilted despite us inviting them back into the contest late in the piece.

...... geez these injuries keep coming to haunt us. I hope they're minor and we have a full complement before too long.

....... nice to see Big Sam get stuck in and Peachey was lively despite a few errors. Doesn't Blake look the goods?

...... under the circumstances a good effort and satisfying win but there's work to do, it won't get easier with some stiff competition ahead of us.

R6 Panthers v Sea Eagles Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21728

As was the case in 2014....we look a lot less predictable in attack when Wallace isnt playing.

R6 Panthers v Sea Eagles Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21729

• mr walker
  • Thank you received: 129
Gutsy win, in a game we realistically had to win to keep our season alive. For many years the the thought of winning all 3 grades against Manly would have been a fantasy.

Still way too many errors :( And the kicking game was largely very poor - at times, Isaac thought he was playing for the swans and that Hiku was Buddy Franklin the way he kept hitting him on the chest.

Forwards worked hard & our red zone defence was much improved. We just don't hit hard like the top teams are doing - some our guys run up huge tackle count numbers, but none of the tackles would knock the skin of a custard. You need to create some fear in the opposition.

Waqa is a gunna be a gun.

Ballin and Maxwell must have got a room afterwards after spending the whole game chatting.

Jamal's hit - WOW.

Beating the whinging 'tails with our halves out was great. The commentators seem to forget that the tails had both their international halves playing!

Hope we can find 17 fit players for next Saturday!!!

R6 Panthers v Sea Eagles Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21730

• Panther Jack
  • It's bad luck i swear.
  • Thank you received: 108
Blake's going to be a star.

Ran with the ball in his hands with speed and power.

He made Symonds look like a Ron Massey regular with his try.

Brilliant stuff.

I was thinking about this before, when Wallace retires i believe Api will take his spot.

Yeah i know it was only one game, but there were certainly glimpses of a player being groomed for a halves role in a couple of years time.

Also, no video refereeing aids were received last night even though i thought we were certain for it with Mansour and the Manly player's efforts under the posts when to the big screen, the video ref is a lottery nowadays and it's annoying to say though.

On another note, when will we get a break with injuries?Every year it's an injury crisis.Maybe it's more than just bad luck.

R6 Panthers v Sea Eagles Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21731

• Pomoz
  • Thank you received: 204
mr walker wrote:
And the kicking game was largely very poor - at times, Isaac thought he was playing for the swans and that Hiku was Buddy Franklin the way he kept hitting him on the chest.
Haha, thanks for that, it made me chuckle. The ref didn't though. He kept a skinny 10m and allowed the players to lay all over each other (both sides), which was why it was an arm wrestle.

A few comments:
Peachey's mistakes drive me nuts. He could be a gun player if he didn't do stuff like go into touch on the first tackle when the game is on the line.

Forwards may be able to tackle, but they are powder puffs and make very few metres. They need to get tougher or we will struggle this year.

Moylan's kick returns are poor but his passing is excellent. i think DZW will be more effective at bringing the ball bask because he has mongrel and more speed and evasion than Moylan. Moylan is going to be a great 5/8th though, once he gets his kicking game tuned up.

Blake. Watching talented kids like him come through is why I go to the football. It gave me that little buzz like when I first saw Freddie come through. He is a ripper.
Last Edit: 2 years 9 months ago by Pomoz.

R6 Panthers v Sea Eagles Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21732

• Tylooper
  • Thank you received: 197
I said after last week's game that the team needed to pull it's head out of it's backside. Whilst last night was not a 10 out of 10 performance, there was definitely more spirit. If you take the starting 6 & 7 out of any other team, plus a couple of other regulars, I would say that most teams would lose. Our depth was shown in the right light last night.

Moylan proved that he is heading right to the top of the tree. He will have a Dally M medal before his career is over. He is just a special talent. I though RCG continued to improve and to think how young he is, we are going to be so lucky to watch his skill progress.

All in all, it was a solid team performance and it will need to be better next week. The Titans are a different team to the one we played a few weeks ago and we will need to be at our enthusiastic best.

A couple of things -

1. I could see what Peach was doing when he kept the ball and didn't pass it to DWZ. It was just bad luck that the pass didn't stick. The break showed the enormous talent Tyrone has.

2. Can someone tell me why Waqa plays with his right sock up and his left one down?

R6 Panthers v Sea Eagles Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21733

• Darren
  • Thank you received: 13
He has one calf that's much bigger than the other.
Good....Good let the butthurt flow through you.

R6 Panthers v Sea Eagles Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21734

• Pomoz
  • Thank you received: 204
Tylooper wrote:

Moylan proved that he is heading right to the top of the tree. He will have a Dally M medal before his career is over. He is just a special talent. I though RCG continued to improve and to think how young he is, we are going to be so lucky to watch his skill progress.
Maybe not as a fullback though. He doesn't stand out at taking bombs (in fact he looks decidedly dodgy under a high ball) , returning the ball or, making try saving tackles. His vision and passing though are as good as anybody including Thurston. If he can develop a kicking game, he will be a brilliant half or 5/8th. Because he keeps his cool under pressure, he looks like he could control a game as a half.

Without his vision and passing, we wouldn't have won on Saturday.

In my view, DZW's strength, speed and agility mean that he is probably our best hope at fullback. He could give us a really good kick return platform to start our sets in the mould of a Dugan. Unless you have a brilliant set of metre eating forwards (like the Cowboys), the kick return is so important in winning field position.His passing and vision are not as good, but Moylan can contribute that as a half in the future to give us a better balance as a team.
Last Edit: 2 years 9 months ago by Pomoz.

Re:R6 Panthers v Sea Eagles Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21735

• Dal
I agree with all of your comments
Moylan will b a top half in a while as soon as he gets a kicking game so much control and talent
I have been waiting for Waqa Blake for a while to make the top grade and he is pure talent I also see great potential in Api I think he will b a great option for no 7 very shortly he is a player who will only get better but he needs a year in first grade to develop in that halves position
We have a great mix of players we just need these major injuries tolls to stop happening all the time

R6 Panthers v Sea Eagles Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21736

Pomoz wrote:

A few comments:
Peachey's mistakes drive me nuts. He could be a gun player if he didn't do stuff like go into touch on the first tackle when the game is on the line.
Moylan's kick returns are poor but his passing is excellent. i think DZW will be more effective at bringing the ball bask because he has mongrel and more speed and evasion than Moylan. Moylan is going to be a great 5/8th though, once he gets his kicking game tuned up.
Blake. Watching talented kids like him come through is why I go to the football. It gave me that little buzz like when I first saw Freddie come through. He is a ripper.

Agree with POMOZ DWZ and Blake 100%

I finally watched the replay tonight Peachey was quite superb on Saturday. He smashed a few much larger Manly forward to gain field position. No 15 more than once. He stepped his way through the line in the first half with graceful footwork, made a break and looked like he bombed a try. Fact was DWZ completely overan him in excitement, so Peachey couldn't pass as he was nearly offside. If the try was scored and went upstairs as most seem to do, there was DWZ pushing Blair in the back to get himself into open space. No try anyway.
The article by P 1967 said the pass to Blake was from Api. Commentary and at the game i thought it was a beauty of a ball passed by Peachey.
Running the ball in to touch after we struggled to hold Manly for what seemed like an age was stupid and would have drove Cleary mad at Peachey but...... he gives us another point of attack and plays above his weight. Can't ask for much more.
Last Edit: 2 years 9 months ago by North Shore Panther.

R6 Panthers v Sea Eagles Game Day Thread 2 years 9 months ago #21737

• Kevin
  • Panthers Hate Parra
  • Thank you received: 187
To put it bluntly, it was a reasonable effort against poor opposition.

We still have plenty to do if we want to be in this comp at the pointy end of the season. Our pack need to aim up and become more aggressive.

Mason was dishing it up (verbally - that's all he has nowadays) to Kite when Taylor was injured, Kite said nothing and let the log of wood carry on, but he also didn't fire up when the play re-started either, just went through the motions, maybe he is a "steady as she goes" player in his latter years. I want a F@#$ YOU attitude from our key forwards, not a Nanna smile at full time :evil:

Gasnier made a good point on the after game show about the Manly halves and Geoff Toovey, someone said about Manly sacking Toovey and Gaz said, maybe he is the reason they are losing the games best halves combination. They were woeful Saturday night in comparison to their proven ability. I hope they don't, but Manly need to sever that cord post haste and start from scratch.

DWZ to Fullback - I will be happy with that when it happens, he has plenty of speed to burn and grunt, fights in the tackle and has a good footy brain.
Last Edit: 2 years 9 months ago by Kevin.