Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: R7 Gold Coast Titans v Penrith Panthers

R7 Gold Coast Titans v Penrith Panthers 2 years 9 months ago #21763

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 146
This is the place.

The Panthers head up to the Gold Coast to try an make it 2 from 2 against the Titans today. It will be a different game to the 40-0 drubbing in Bathurst as the Titan have many of their stars back, and Panthers missing quite a few at this point.

The Junior grades also kick off their finals series today in Cabramatta as the Harold Matts and SG BAll reach the pointy end of the season.

As usual game results will be available through this site and Twitter @pantherpride_au

All Grades are playing today (this includes the last regular season round of Harold Matthews and SG Ball):

HMATTS: South Sydney Rabbitohs v Penrith Panthers - 1:00pm (LOCAL) @ New Era Stadium [SOU 26 - PEN 24]
SGBALL: Balmain Tigers v Penrith Panthers - 4:00pm (LOCAL) @ New Era Stadium [PEN 28 - BAL 14]
NYC: Gold Coast Titans v Penrith Panthers - 12:40pm (LOCAL) @ CBUS Super Stadium [PEN 36 - GLD 24]
NSWCUP: Penrith Panthers v New Zealand Warrirors - 3:00pm (LOCAL) @ Pepper Stadium [PEN 34 - WAR 20]
NRL: Gold Coast Titans v Penrith Panthers - 3:00pm (LOCAL) @ CBUS Super Stadium [GLD 32 - PEN 6]
Last Edit: 2 years 9 months ago by Steve Tidball.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You   Panther1967

R7 Gold Coast Titans v Penrith Panthers 2 years 9 months ago #21764

• Purcy
My god they are bad

R7 Gold Coast Titans v Penrith Panthers 2 years 9 months ago #21765

• Tylooper
  • Thank you received: 197
It's just one of those games where you say.....oh well. Putting everything into perspective, if you take the starting halves, the starting centres and and 2 internationals out of any side, they will struggle. We were probably never going to win today but it was only the last 20 minutes when Yeo was sin binned, that the game got away from us.

Don't lose faith Penrith fans.....the tide will turn. surely we are due for our fair share of luck.

If you get on here today and lambast our team, you are a d-head. You don't deserve to call yourself a Penrith fan and you should go away.
The following user(s) said Thank You   mutley

R7 Gold Coast Titans v Penrith Panthers 2 years 9 months ago #21766

• Puss
  • Thank you received: 259
....... Don't ever skite to me about depth. The game's played in the shallows and we can barely stand.

A dreadful performance. Started like the Harlem Globetrotters and finished like the North Sydney Bears.

Our chances this season are disappearing quicker than our outpatient discharges. Abysmal.

R7 Gold Coast Titans v Penrith Panthers 2 years 9 months ago #21767

We also lost Kite and Mansour to injury today.
Last Edit: 2 years 9 months ago by North Shore Panther.

R7 Gold Coast Titans v Penrith Panthers 2 years 9 months ago #21768

• Tylooper
Ah poor Puss.....consider the whole picture. Take Benji and Widdop out of the Dragons, take Pearce and Maloney out of Easts, take JT or Cronk out and none of their respective teams win.

We have back up in the halves, not depth. Name one club that does!

We will be fine once we get a team that resembles a first grade side on the park.

R7 Gold Coast Titans v Penrith Panthers 2 years 9 months ago #21769

Whats disappointing is the amount of injuries we have . I know every club gets them but it happens year after year after year with our mob.

We cant even finish a game without losing 2 or 3 for the majority of the game. Long term though a team can always replace certain positions but not their halves. Until one of them gets back we will always struggle.......

LP
Last Edit: 2 years 9 months ago by Lismore Panther.

R7 Gold Coast Titans v Penrith Panthers 2 years 9 months ago #21771

Tylooper wrote:

If you get on here today and lambast our team, you are a d-head. You don't deserve to call yourself a Penrith fan and you should go away.

Knucklehead comment of the year.
In a forum that is struggling we should encourage a free exchange of ideas...even negative ones or ones that disagree with you.

Penrith played like a slapped breakdown today. If people are negative after that experience. .. its just human nature.

The perceived elitism from people like you...are the reason this forum isnt what it could be

R7 Gold Coast Titans v Penrith Panthers 2 years 9 months ago #21772

• panthermike
  • Thank you received: 10
Disappointing and embaressing.Fancy being BEATEN by the Titans.Did our forwards play or was it their mothers?

R7 Gold Coast Titans v Penrith Panthers 2 years 9 months ago #21773

• Black
I really hope the team comes home by bus instead of flying.
That will give them more time to reflect and fell bad longer.
No one likes that sinking feeling
What a s#*%fight.

R7 Gold Coast Titans v Penrith Panthers 2 years 9 months ago #21774

• Puss
  • Thank you received: 259
souf aussie panther wrote:
Tylooper wrote:

In a forum that is struggling we should encourage a free exchange of ideas...even negative ones or ones that disagree with you.

Penrith played like a slapped breakdown today. If people are negative after that experience. .. its just human nature.

The perceived elitism from people like you...are the reason this forum isnt what it could be

Now now souf, I am clearly out of order since mods are clearly (thank you) in agreement with Mr Tylooper.

R7 Gold Coast Titans v Penrith Panthers 2 years 9 months ago #21775

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 146
I have no problem with constructive criticism of the teams performance. When it get dragged down to abusing players and other forumites, then we have a problem.

I personally think very few positives can be taken from today's game, when looking at the teams injury ward I don't find that too surprising.

I'm sure we will turn a corner once some of the walking wounded rejoin the ranks, but this wasn't one of those games.

Re:R7 Gold Coast Titans v Penrith Panthers 2 years 9 months ago #21777

• Dal
Tylooper wrote:

I'm with u mate we can all sit and cry we lost our halves but we all have our right to not b happy at certain stages of the year and at the moment I can't see us beating to many teams
I think Soward is our No7 full stop we all see how he played there with a makeshift 5/8 in my opinion he was easily in the top 3 halve backs of the year and he suites Moylans game perfectly
I didn't get to watch the game yet as I was working but when I checked my phone it was 12 6 with 60 mins gone very disappointed at the final result

R7 Gold Coast Titans v Penrith Panthers 2 years 9 months ago #21778

• Dufeyz
  • Thank you received: 44
We have like 8 guys injured right now, and I don't think that includes BMM. The boys tried. Its not like 2012 where they get beaten in the first 5. In the end the lack of good kicks and the completion rate killed us. There were opportunities to win, but like last week we dropped the ball or made silly errors after line breaks.

I sure hope soward is ready to go in round 10. He is basically going to have to win just about every game he plays if we are to make the top4 and win the GF

R7 Gold Coast Titans v Penrith Panthers 2 years 9 months ago #21779

• mr walker
  • Thank you received: 129
Being without our halves is a big problem & all teams would be greatly affected with that. I can accept that we will struggle against teams having their halves intact. I can accept that JT killed us, playing against a makeshift halves combo.This argument loses it's sense when we see the Titans had a half playing only his 3rd game.

Will Smith did a serviceable job last year when called upon. He has been playing all around the backline in NSW Cup this year, but must be a better option than IJ???

A commentator said that our attack looked like we just met on the bus on the way to the game. You have to wonder what we have been training for over the past few weeks. The Titans are not even close to being a top team.

We need to recruit cover for our playmakers for next few seasons - we do not have the answers within our club at this time. Reserve graders play reserve grade for a reason - they are reserve graders. Maybe you can get a passbale game or two out of them, but ultimately it's gonna end in tears.

JS & PW are not getting younger & so are likely to miss games even after the current ones. Watching Trent Merrin play for the dragqueens, I can't believe we have paid top $ for him - even at his best he is not going to have the impact that even a half good half would have.

After the cows game IC said we were not a 20 point worse team than the cows. Are we are 26 points worse team than the titans??
The following user(s) said Thank You   shazza

R7 Gold Coast Titans v Penrith Panthers 2 years 9 months ago #21781

• Pomoz
  • Thank you received: 204
Unpleasant though it was watching our team lose, I am far from depressed. Our team had local juniors DZW, Yeo, RCG, Rennings, Blake and Cartwright who have not played a season of first grade. Api has not played a season yet either, although not a local junior. Moylan and Peachey have 1 year under their belts. We played half the game with two of the experienced players, Kite and Mansour missing through injury. We then had a player sin binned. We tried hard until the end and lost to a team playing at home and missing only one of its key players, Nate Myles.

I'm not sure what you expect our team to do when it is missing so many players, loses even more during the game and is playing away from home. They were competitive against a far more experienced team.

I see a team that is racking up huge experience for its junior players;
-RCG looks like he will be a top class prop
-Blake handled the step up for the second week running and looks like he is the real deal
-Cartwright is still recovering from his injury. It is good experience for him and he will be better for his current struggles. He tackled well and didn't make any errors. He can build on this as his leg gets better.
-Moylan is showing he is willing to try and take charge and shows moments of sheer class. He just needs more support. i thought Johns let him down by not giving him enough ball.

Another year and these young men are going to be a force to be reckoned with. Merrin will just add to a really talented and young team.

There is not a club in the NRL who could lose the players that we have and win that game yesterday. Cheer up Panther fans. It's going to get better. :)
Last Edit: 2 years 9 months ago by Pomoz.
The following user(s) said Thank You   mutley

R7 Gold Coast Titans v Penrith Panthers 2 years 9 months ago #21782

Pomoz - No one is getting depressed The Titans are a bottom 4 team. We are a top 4 team. We, the collective souls left here, all recognise our teams bright future. We also recognise if we play like we did on Sat we will lose against anyone. The stupidity of the loss is most disturbing. They flogged us by doing the basics better. Our best 2 players Segeyaro and Moylan were frustrated by having to do too much. The result was both overplayed their hand at times. The grubber on half way by Sege was the end..

We had potentially 10 first graders out by the end of the game. The most troubling thing was the ease the GC exploited Blake by pinning his arms and legs during the tackle for 2 to 3 gift penalties and lack of composure by the more experienced players. Dropped ball by our star young players. Sika at least tried hard to add impact.

Based on Sat it is time to overhaul the team with a view to the future. Isaac played ok against Manly, he is off contract. Back to play NSW Cup to practice kicking the ball again. So Api to half, Moylan to 5/8. Whare and Blake in the centres. George and Robert Jennings can play wing. DWZ to fullback. We have a minimum of 4 weeks before Soward comes back. Worst case we lose.
Last Edit: 2 years 9 months ago by North Shore Panther.
The following user(s) said Thank You   Dal

R7 Gold Coast Titans v Penrith Panthers 2 years 9 months ago #21783

• Pomoz
North Shore Panther wrote:
The most troubling thing was the ease the GC exploited Blake by pinning his arms and legs during the tackle for 2 to 3 gift penalties
He has played two first grade games. TWO!!! Give him a break.

I don't disagree that Isaac John isn't the answer and I would love to see Moylan at 5/8th and DWZ at fullback. I expect DWZ to make mistakes there, he is inexperienced but his kick returns will be far stronger than Moylan's who is more a "glider" than a tackle buster. He just needs help with the kicking part of his game. Isaac John kicked the ball to the fullback plenty of times so he may do a bit worse, but not much.

The biggest issue really, is our young guys DWZ, Yeo and Cartwright are going through the inevitable flat spot that happens when a youngster gets into the NRL grind. Their bodies just aren't used to the physicality. I'm sure all of them would have been spelled in NSW cup if we didn't have so many injuries. Let's hope that none of them get hurt as a result of playing in seniors a bit too long. The forwards in particular, really go through the grinder. RCG will need a spell before too long, he has played some huge games for us in the toughest position on the field.

R7 Gold Coast Titans v Penrith Panthers 2 years 9 months ago #21784

• TalentScout
  • Thank you received: 82
The Titans 2 1st Half tries were scored down our right side, the 1st was due to Moylan not having speed off the mark to get to an in goal grubber.. The 2nd came from Isaac john missed tackles on Ryan James..

Greg bird passed a ball from the ground, from the offload, waqa gets penalised for slowing the ruck.. The score was 6 nil our way at the time, on their 40..

Moylan takes quick 20mtr tap, Greg bird takes him high and late, no penalty!!

Brett kimmorly must've had money on the Titans.. Omg!! Every call he made in commentary was in favour of the opposition.

Last Edit: 2 years 9 months ago by TalentScout.
The following user(s) said Thank You   Pomoz, Tylooper, Ross

R7 Gold Coast Titans v Penrith Panthers 2 years 9 months ago #21785

• Tylooper
Tylooper wrote:

Elitism.....whatever!

I'm not going to get into a slanging match with perennial negative person like you.

R7 Gold Coast Titans v Penrith Panthers 2 years 9 months ago #21786

• Tylooper
100% Talentscout. Noddy was filthy on us last Saturday....we must have turned him down during his playing days.

Joe Montana would have been proud of that pass that 'floated' forward.

R7 Gold Coast Titans v Penrith Panthers 2 years 9 months ago #21787

• Rabbit
  • Thank you received: 60
That disallowed try killed them, they still might of lost but another turning point try disallowed against the Panthers. Third one in recent history the Wallace double movement, the Mansour 1000 replayed disallowed dropped ball try. When your battling away and your undermanned you can’t afford them to go against you. Without dropping your bundle after they do.
By the way I am pretty sure the touchy called a no try because she thought they were off side. Which was clearly incorrect. But the video ref looked at – well he was looking for anything to back up on field decision which was wrong. I have also decided to hate Kimmorley forever, what did he have against the Panthers
I could not believe how bad Isaac John was, his game management was 1/10. I can’t believe I am saying this but we may have to put Moylan at five eight and put in Moss or DWZ at fullback. Apparently Cleary was unhappy with John in the build up to this game. He would have no hair left after watching him in that match.

R7 Gold Coast Titans v Penrith Panthers 2 years 9 months ago #21788

• bab
  • Thank you received: 14
They have to try something in the halves,the way they play at the moment an under 10 side could defend against ,there is no variation in our attack it goes out the back to Moylan to much we need to straighten the attack occasionally with our edge players, we seem to be the only team that doesnt target the opposition halves it is way to predictable you could see on the weekend when they took Moylan over the side line that the opposition have worked out that sweeping play ,you cant go side ways all day ,and yes we have scored a lot of tries from that play but because of the lack of variation we are being found out , and I agree Cartwright isnt going well but he is coming back from a serious injury ,he hasnt played a lot of minutes and he seems to only get the ball of taps or a hit up, you look at last year when he was going well and it was when he gets the ball on an edge or with a bit of room ,same as Yeo he runs good lines comiing back in but I think Ive seen once this year were he was used in that way, just my 2 bobs worth

R7 Gold Coast Titans v Penrith Panthers 2 years 9 months ago #21789

• Pomoz
bab wrote:
They have to try something in the halves,the way they play at the moment an under 10 side could defend against ,there is no variation in our attack it goes out the back to Moylan to much we need to straighten the attack occasionally with our edge players, we seem to be the only team that doesnt target the opposition halves it is way to predictable you could see on the weekend when they took Moylan over the side line that the opposition have worked out that sweeping play ,you cant go side ways all day ,and yes we have scored a lot of tries from that play but because of the lack of variation we are being found out , and I agree Cartwright isnt going well but he is coming back from a serious injury ,he hasnt played a lot of minutes and he seems to only get the ball of taps or a hit up, you look at last year when he was going well and it was when he gets the ball on an edge or with a bit of room ,same as Yeo he runs good lines comiing back in but I think Ive seen once this year were he was used in that way, just my 2 bobs worth
Agree with all of that. Our problems are the same they were when we had Luke Walsh as halfback. Poor organisation from the halves, poor kicking (usually straight to the fullback), no running game to speak of.

Cartwright and Yeo have both been taking the ball up the guts because our props have been poor (McKendry and Kite are deadset phoning it in) except for our young gun RCG and Lats who at least has a go. Plum looked like he is getting fit again on Saturday so that will help. The back rowers have been playing like props to try and get us yardage.

I have serous concerns that Sam is unable to be a first grade prop again after his neck injury. I never question his courage, but he has been terrible. Kite is just an old bloke whose body is starting to say "are you serious, this is f*ckin too hard for a man your age. Play bowls".
Last Edit: 2 years 9 months ago by Pomoz.

R7 Gold Coast Titans v Penrith Panthers 2 years 9 months ago #21790

• TalentScout
  • Thank you received: 82
Ruck speed wins yards/games..

Running 1 out gives the defence easy decisions to get No's in tackles. Running in twos bends the line..

Passing from the ground at dummy half on the kick tackle gives the kickers more time to choose where to kick.
When chiko gave them early ball, they kicked well. When he jumped out or stood up they were put under pressure and had to rush their kicks.

Kicking decisions in attacking zones were poor. On a few occasions, we chose to put in a long grubber from their 40, easy pick up and yards for their fullback/wingers... they chose to put up high/long bombs.. We catch it, go nowhere because the defence is on us. They contest it and Ryan James out jumps Dal, they score.. You do what the opposition doesn't want you to do.
How often do u think "oh no, they've put up a bomb"? It's 50/50.. But if they put in a long grubber, it's like a sigh of relief..

Oh! And jarrod maxwell penalised us for dragging a player 3mtrs over the sideline a week ago, this week he allowed Moylan to be dragged 10mtrs.. Play on??
Another 1, ruck ref called "lost it, lost it" in the Titans play the ball, maxwell says "we're playing on"... The following play gave them an attacking bomb...
Get some consistency..
Last Edit: 2 years 9 months ago by TalentScout.
  • Page: