Switch to desktop Register Login

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: R8 Penrith Panthers v Cronulla Sharks

R8 Penrith Panthers v Cronulla Sharks 2 years 8 months ago #21829

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 146
Be sure to get out to Pepper Stadium and pay respect to our Defence Forces at the 2015 ANZAC match against the Cronulla Sharks. The Panthers are back at home for a double header against the sharks in the Holden Cup and the NRL.

The NSW Cup was played on Saturday at St Marys, Panthers victorious 16-10 against Mounties.

The SG Ball team had this week off. The Panthers will be playing the playing the Sharks next week for a place in the Grand Final.

As usual game results will be available through this site and Twitter @pantherpride_au

All Grades are playing today (this includes the last regular season round of Harold Matthews and SG Ball):

NYC: Penrith Panthers v Cronulla Sharks - 12:00pm (LOCAL) @ Pepper Stadium [ PEN 34 - CRO 6 ]
NRL: Penrith Panthers v Cronulla Sharks - 2:00pm (LOCAL) @ Pepper Stadium [ PEN 26 - CRO 18 ]
Last Edit: 2 years 8 months ago by Steve Tidball.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

R8 Penrith Panthers v Cronulla Sharks 2 years 8 months ago #21830

• Puss
  • Thank you received: 259
...... our first half mistakes put us under pressure and not the opposition. 2nd half we dominated and deservingly got the decision. A pleasing result with some meritorious performances. Moylan was good, so too Lewis Brown. I thought Isaac John was more authoritave and RCG and Sam ran with purpose. A special mention to 'pop' Simmonds, welcome back.

...... we appear to have finished the match unscathed, so a bye next week might see a few of our casualties closing on a return, here's hoping anyway.

....... those commemorative Anzac jerseys, simply stunning, well done.
Last Edit: 2 years 8 months ago by Puss.

R8 Penrith Panthers v Cronulla Sharks 2 years 8 months ago #21831

• Panther1967
  • Thank you received: 142
With other results going our way,we jumped 6 spots.

One more try would have had us in 7th spot.

Will be a stern test when we play Brisbane in a fortnight.

But with these players practically knowing each others game from the lower grades,especially the reserve grade,I think we will have that formula that got us through last year.

Just hope the injuries don't continue to haunt us.

R8 Penrith Panthers v Cronulla Sharks 2 years 8 months ago #21832

• Tylooper
  • Thank you received: 197
It's nice to drive back to the Sutherland Shire after smacking their team.

What other club could say that if you take 7 of their starter's out of the team, would still win? Today wasn't pretty, it was tough. Our team hangs in there until the death. There is a big heart under that Penrith jumper and when we get our team back on the park...watch us roll.

Awesome day, lovely drive home.

One thing....gamesmanship is one thing but Ennis boarders on cheating. The sooner the NRL makes players who lay down after being hit high, go off for a mandatory 3-5 minutes for a concussion test, the sooner the laying down will cease. It is starting to turn into football with all this 'faking'.
The following user(s) said Thank You   mutley, mr walker

R8 Penrith Panthers v Cronulla Sharks 2 years 8 months ago #21833

• Tylooper
  • Thank you received: 197
How long before we see the teal replaced by gold? The hint is there with the training gear having gold trimmings. The gold on the jersey today looked fantastic.

R8 Penrith Panthers v Cronulla Sharks 2 years 8 months ago #21839

The Jersey was worn proudly with great guts, it looks simply outstanding. It is so far ahead of every other clubs effort.

Good efforts by all the boys. Special mention to Latimore for playing well after that terrible tackle, the team was lead well by Brown who was deservedly MoM, I agree that Isaac John played better than last week, he just needs to kick a little better and with Smith at 5/8 we looked good at times. Welcome back George and Simmons. DWZ great in attack if not defence and Moylan great trysaving tackle.

Excellent anthems by Mabelle and the other lady. Very easy to be proud on a very proud and classy day. Well Done panthers.

R8 Penrith Panthers v Cronulla Sharks 2 years 8 months ago #21840

• TalentScout
  • Thank you received: 82
Wow!! Did not expect to come away from that game with the 2pts..

Lewis brown running at Robson was a master stroke! he struggled to get under his ribs due to Lewis Browns running style.. But when he was replaced, Yeo (a taller player) was easier to tackle (maybe Manu would've been better on that side).
There were a few times when we were attacking in their red zone when I thought we could've gone to the middle of the sticks to isolate Robson on his try line to our right or even outside the left upright and lined Sika up with him..

Our right side attack was pretty good 8/10.. Our right side defence was terrible 2/10..
After their 1st 2 tries were scored down that side I thought they'd open up that side of the field and go there all day.. But, thankfully they didn't!!

The scramble D on the try line was awesome..

But, again, the kicking game was average.. 2/10
The idea of the bomb 40mtrs out is good, but the execution on 2 occasions were terrible..

All 3 grades got the W..

Luke Lewis professional foul should have been sin binned!! :angry:
The following user(s) said Thank You   mutley

R8 Penrith Panthers v Cronulla Sharks 2 years 8 months ago #21843

• mutley
  • Thank you received: 205
Tylooper wrote:
It's nice to drive back to the Sutherland Shire after smacking their team.
Agreed, would have been better if my mates had come in the same car as me though :evil:

R8 Penrith Panthers v Cronulla Sharks 2 years 8 months ago #21848

• mr walker
  • Thank you received: 129
Grafted out a win against the odds. Brown was outstanding & we generally matched them in the forwards. I think we made some poor reads in defence, but our backline was better than there's. That said, their knucklehead rotation to get Barba on the park is just dumb - I think the coach is still on the pills :(

As others have said our kicking game is very ordinary, but we hung in there and got the bikkies. Any wins during this injury stretch are very valuable.

Ennis should be rubbed out - what a prick!

Happy to get the 2 points!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You   mutley

R8 Penrith Panthers v Cronulla Sharks 2 years 8 months ago #21850

• Goonji
  • Thank you received: 33
Great to get a win when you least expect it. No injuries, never in doubt but the team stood up yesterday and was great to be there to cheer them on. A week off will hopefully see some injured players return against the ponies.

R8 Penrith Panthers v Cronulla Sharks 2 years 8 months ago #21853

• Pomoz
  • Thank you received: 204
Yeo, DWZ, Moylan, McKendry, Jennings, Blake, Cartwright, RCG. All local juniors. That represents nearly 50% of the team. Six of them from our recent u20's teams.

Their inexperience really showed in the game at times with penalties and errors, but their talent still shone through. Big hits and hit ups from Blake (he is absolutely huge - 92kgs!! Yeah, maybe when he was 12 years old)), great running and passing from DWZ, good defence from Jennings. A bit more sedate from Yeo and Cartwright, although Carty showed some glimpses of what he is capable of and looked stronger than he has for a while. Yeo looks like he needs a spell in reggies just to get a breather.

In any case that game just showed that we will be quite formidable when these players get more experience and we have Taylor, Soward, Segyaro and Whare back.

I think Segyaro needs to study what Api did. I think Seggs has over compensated for the loss of Soward and Wallace and tried to be a creator of tries. Consequently, I don't think he has played his natural game and is actually reducing the time the halves have on the ball while he looks around for gaps. He has stopped running from dummy half while he looks around. Api made sure the halves got quick ball and took a run every so often when a gap appeared.

Do what you do best Seggs.

R8 Penrith Panthers v Cronulla Sharks 2 years 8 months ago #21854

• shazza
  • Thank you received: 162
There’s been a remarkable turnaround in the Panthers fortunes in just eight short days and the only significant change to the formula that failed so dismally at the Cold Coast was the addition of a workaholic, experienced backrower (Lewis Brown) and a genuine 5/8 (Will Smith). Brown, the motivation machine, just shaded Reegan Campbell-Gillard as my MoM. He was relentless in both attack and defence and his work ethic, will to win and almost frenetic style of play is infectious. Considering he was returning from an extended layoff his effort in playing such a long stint at full pace was nothing short of remarkable. He wasn’t alone in his efforts though, a rejuvenated Sica Manu gave the team plenty of go-forward with his aggressive running on the edges of the ruck and young prop tyro Campbell-Gillard turned in another powerhouse display. All the big men played well but special mention should be made of RCG who is developing into an outstanding front-row forward. For a player who still had a huge question mark hanging over his NRL credentials at the end of last year, C-G has finally matured into a genuine first grade footballer who, while playing exceptionally well right now, is set to get a whole lot better.

I thought Smith had a terrific game and deserved a better result for his attacking efforts. From a player (last year) who lacked confidence and was happy to be a helper rather than a doer, Smith, on Sunday, continually tested the Shark’s defence with his speed and agility and showed plenty of confidence and willingness to take the line on at every opportunity. He looked right at home playing first-grade. It’s ironic and disappointing in some ways that just as he finds the sort of form we need, Soward and Wallace will return and he’ll be back to the Reggies. Hopefully he’ll get further opportunities in the not too distant future. He’s got the makings of a very good footballer.

DWZ although caught out of position in defence on a number of occasions, in the unfamiliar right centre position, was a real handful for the Sharks’ defenders and once again showed what an incredible attacking unit he is developing into. Because Simmons is a right wing and George Jennings and Waqa Blake are both left side players, I assume it was a pragmatic decision, and not a long term plan, that saw W-Z moved to the centres. He’s good there, but he’s better on the wing and will be even better at fullback.

Not much to say about Moylan, his performance has been reported on everywhere else and doesn’t need me elaborating on it here. He is what he is, a very, very talented player.

The Bronco’s will be a bloody hard game to follow-up with but the signs are good that we’ll have plenty of troups back to add to, what showed itself on the weekend to be, an already strong side. I didn’t see the game but I’ve been told that Murdoch Massilla was damn near unstoppable in the reserves great win over table leaders Mounties, on Saturday.

Shazza
The following user(s) said Thank You   Panther mike

R8 Penrith Panthers v Cronulla Sharks 2 years 8 months ago #21856

• Panther Jack
  • It's bad luck i swear.
  • Thank you received: 108
I'm proud of the team's performance considering the injury toll and they were playing a team who dismantled Souths and Roosters in the previous two weeks.Must be that easy draw we keep hearing about. :whistle:

But that refereeing display, like we have seen in many games we have played in this year, was awful, absolutely disgusting, it was that bad that the NRL could have done what they did to the Bulldogs a few years ago and took points off the Sharks for having extra players on the field.

Ennis' dart out of dummy half was always intended to come into contact with RCG's feet, RCG clearly has surrended and rolled out of the tackle and got in a position where the attacking team can still play with no restraints.

Now, Ennis, clearly lost it on a stationary player who has surrended.Please tell me, how is that a penalty?Eight point swing as Peachey was off to the races before a Sharks player could react.

Another point in the game requires no explaining as everyone knows what happened, how the hell was Lewis not sin binned?Wasn't Yeo sin binned last week?Where's the consistency?How come we are the ones always negatively affected by this rubbish?

Oh and Heighington should have been sent off, no if's, no but's.Send off.But nope, we get an injured player as Heighington just gets reported(what the hell do we get to compensate for the injured player?) and he gets a pissy little three week suspension anyway, where as DWZ's awful act of humanity gets a one week suspension. :S Oh my goodness we have idiots running this game.

Five out of the last six games(barring the Manly game, as no team was dudded) we've been ripped off by a refereeing monstrosity.Well i'm just happy we didn't lose because of it, otherwise we'd have to sit through crap like "Lewis magic haunts Penrith." or dare i say it "2012 Barba returns as Sharks destroy Penrith." :sick:

Oh well, bring on the referee review by rugby league mastermind Tony Archer, i love it when he treats NRL fans like morons and contradicts himself week after week. :huh:

R8 Penrith Panthers v Cronulla Sharks 2 years 8 months ago #21857

• TalentScout
Panther Jack wrote:
Ennis' dart out of dummy half was always intended to come into contact with RCG's feet, RCG clearly has surrended and rolled out of the tackle and got in a position where the attacking team can still play with no restraints.

Now, Ennis, clearly lost it on a stationary player who has surrended.Please tell me, how is that a penalty?Eight point swing as Peachey was off to the races before a Sharks player could react.

He was laying around the ruck. Which is illegal. Penalty every time.
It's unfortunate it happened (to us) but, put the boot on the other foot and imagine it happening to us.
A player has to clear the ruck. U can't lay there acting like a turtle on its back.
If Ennis meant it, good (but very risky) football. I, on the other hand, don't think he meant it. He was clearly shocked when he dummied to the left and jumped out to the right, then had the ball dislodged from his hands by no fault of his own.
Last Edit: 2 years 8 months ago by TalentScout.

R8 Penrith Panthers v Cronulla Sharks 2 years 8 months ago #21858

• TalentScout
Nice post Shazza except for the below.
shazza wrote:
Not much to say about Moylan, his performance has been reported on everywhere else and doesn’t need me elaborating on it here. He is what he is, a very, very talented player.
Shazza

Maybe I'm more sceptical when it comes to fullbacks due to being one myself (until Mr Ron Gibbs snapped my knee in a blatant late shot :S ) but, Moylan is (at the moment) a talented player, not a "very very"..
There's a lot of hype around him being touted as the next Lockyer etc but in my opinion he has work to do with his positional play in both attack and defence while playing fullback.
Don't get me wrong here, I like the kid and prefer him playing for us rather than against us. He definitely has the hands and vision to be a very very talented player. And his composure for someone his age is exceptional.

Watch Slater and Inglis. Is he in their class?
In attack, both Billy and GI hang around the ruck early in the count, following forwards, sniffing for an offload before heading out the back to chime into a backline movement later in the count. How often do u see him in the clear in a game from an offload around the ruck compared to Billy or GI? We've had a truck load of offloads this season and majority of them are to flat footed players or sweeping players.. No-one anticipating them and hitting them at speed. The team (and himself) would benefit more if he positioned himself to make those 5 or 6 steps in anticipation of an offload around the ruck. A fullbacks roving role.

His metre eating kick returns (before last weekend vs sharks) were in slow motion. (He could communicate a bit better with his wingers to be closer so he doesn't have to throw 20mtr passes, which risks a turnover)
If he catches the down field kicks on the full, short pass to a winger, if the ball hits the ground, 1st to it races to eat the metres.

Plus, Moylan sells our backline play early to the opposition by lingering to one side.. I let my mate know when it's coming and each time I'm right he "use to" give me 50 cents.. :P

In defence, he's been caught out a few times with his sweeping on the try line.. Because he doesn't have the turbo of a slater, he needs to be a mtr or 2 further across the attacking side to clean up in goal grubbers. (Something GI does well)
It's anticipation. He needs to bundle all available attacking options in anticipation of what may happen and be ready to react in a split second.
His goal line defence is pretty good and maybe that's why his sweeping suffers. Maybe he's anticipating the block runner getting the ball so it halts his position??

If he could add those to his game consistently, he'd be a very very talented player.

R8 Penrith Panthers v Cronulla Sharks 2 years 8 months ago #21861

• benos
  • Thank you received: 49
Panther Jack wrote:

Another point in the game requires no explaining as everyone knows what happened, how the hell was Lewis not sin binned?Wasn't Yeo sin binned last week?Where's the consistency?How come we are the ones always negatively affected by this rubbish?

Absolutely should have been sin binned. I saw Josh Dugan slap the ball out of someone's hands when they were trying to do a quick tap from a 20 metre restart and he was sin binned. So how is it that Luke Lewis can do this and get away with just a penalty? It's not like the referee could have forgotten the rule as almost all the Panther players around it put their hands up for sin bin. It was a professional foul and should have been treated like one.

R8 Penrith Panthers v Cronulla Sharks 2 years 8 months ago #21862

• shazza
TalentScout,
Notice I avoided using the overworked "champion" tag, I think you're being a bit begrudging not to to let me get away with a very very talented. I think, by the way, we've got at least 1/2 a dozen very verys in the club so it's not like I'm singling him out for special praise. I'd be a bit careful with constructive criticism of up and coming players on this sight, it has been known to bring the wrath of God down on incautious contributors.
Shazza

R8 Penrith Panthers v Cronulla Sharks 2 years 8 months ago #21863

• shazza
While we're on the subject, Brown and Peachey (2 of my favorite players) have some glaring faults in their game that need addressing but you won't hear it from me.
Shazza

R8 Penrith Panthers v Cronulla Sharks 2 years 8 months ago #21864

• Kevin
  • Panthers Hate Parra
  • Thank you received: 187
:lol:

Shazza, if the Scout was to ram home his opinion, we would all start to analyse what he says, I don't think he has said anything no-one already knows and he wasn't "bagging" the bloke.

We all know your opinion on Bryce and his defense, but from what I have seen of his tackling abilities (or lack thereof based on your opinion) I have no issue with his effort and or results.

I do agree that we have a few "very very's" within our ranks and I for one am not concerned at all with you labelling Moysa as such, the things Scout has highlighted are all learning curves.

Slater and Inglis never did what he has stated in the early stages of their careers, but they have continued the growth of their skills and that is what Moylan needs to do as well. Moylan has a great eye for the game, it just needs some fine tuning.

His 1 on 1 for the Sharks first try left a bit to be desired, although he tried to put his body on the line, he was left wanting. That should have been the classic full back try saver, maybe the winger had too much on Moysa.........which will be an issue if that's par for the course.

Just my 2 Bobs mate, don't get emotional :P
The following user(s) said Thank You   TalentScout

R8 Penrith Panthers v Cronulla Sharks 2 years 8 months ago #21867

• richo
  • Thank you received: 111
In relation to Will Smith he has a lot of ability and I think in his half a dozen games last season he was probably over cautious and afraid to play his natural game which was fair enough.

This time around I think he probably need's to throw caution to the wind so to speak and make every post a winner. He has some tremendous attacking skills obviously on the back of his speed and acceleration and he need to use these talents and take the line on more often.

While obviously he has to take into account the coaches game plan and not run his own race I think he need's to make his current opportunity with both hands as there may not be third or fourth chances. He need's to make the position his own and demand selection when Wallace returns on the basis Soward is probably an automatic selection.

Re:R8 Penrith Panthers v Cronulla Sharks 2 years 8 months ago #21869

• Dal
Onya Shazza and Richo
I have always had a very high regard of Will Smith I honestly think he is a lot better then a lot of people give him credit for and I agree with both of the things u guys have brought up
He was over cautious last year which I don't blame him for but at the same time he didn't do much wrong and I see a lot of potential
I think Soward/Smith might b the winning combo
I have high praise for the boys on Sunday For pulling off a unbelievable must win game (let's not forget the two loses to them last year) Sika was great early on and to many names to mention later on
I also think Api played a great game and didn't over play his hand which is true sign of a player who belongs in first grade

Re:R8 Penrith Panthers v Cronulla Sharks 2 years 8 months ago #21872

• Kevin
  • Panthers Hate Parra
Me 3 Dal - Don't forget, Will had a dominant half in Sowy last year, so second fiddle was always going to be the way forward and he handled it superbly IMO.

Now - Both halves are out, he has come in (and for my money should have been first picked to replace either Wal or Sowy) and can show his skill set without recourse.

The fact he is an effort player as well, what I mean is he is a 1% player, looking to dive on the loose ball, sprinting from the ground to get into the defensive line, looking to back up half a break etc etc these facets are what makes a half worth his salt.

I can't believe it's taken this long for him to get a run, maybe his training "enthusiasm" isn't to IC's liking, I don't know, but I'm glad he's back in the mix.

R8 Penrith Panthers v Cronulla Sharks 2 years 8 months ago #21879

• bab
  • Thank you received: 14
:unsure:shazza wrote:
While we're on the subject, Brown and Peachey (2 of my favorite players) have some glaring faults in their game that need addressing but you won't hear it from me.
Shazza

Why cant you share your wisdom about these 2 when you openly have a dislike for a certain forward and freely offer your criticism about his perceived downfalls?
Last Edit: 2 years 8 months ago by bab.

R8 Penrith Panthers v Cronulla Sharks 2 years 8 months ago #21881

• Kevin
  • Panthers Hate Parra
bab wrote:
:unsure:shazza wrote:
Shazza

Why cant you share your wisdom about these 2 when you openly have a dislike for a certain forward and freely offer your criticism about his perceived downfalls?

He doesn't dislike Bryce, Shazza just believes he should make 30 effective tackles in the middle of the ruck each game before he will be considered reaching his potential........or something like that.

I would be happy to know Shazza's thoughts on these 2 also, I haven't really given them much thought, they are effort players so they are going to have some bad moments, but overall they will provide energy and action to our side.

Re:R8 Penrith Panthers v Cronulla Sharks 2 years 8 months ago #21894

• richo
  • Thank you received: 111
Kevin wrote:
Me 3 Dal - Don't forget, Will had a dominant half in Sowy last year, so second fiddle was always going to be the way forward and he handled it superbly IMO.

Now - Both halves are out, he has come in (and for my money should have been first picked to replace either Wal or Sowy) and can show his skill set without recourse.

The fact he is an effort player as well, what I mean is he is a 1% player, looking to dive on the loose ball, sprinting from the ground to get into the defensive line, looking to back up half a break etc etc these facets are what makes a half worth his salt.

I can't believe it's taken this long for him to get a run, maybe his training "enthusiasm" isn't to IC's liking, I don't know, but I'm glad he's back in the mix.

I am a fan of Will Smith. I think he has great potential and I too was disappointed he wasn't brought in 'earlier' once Sowie and Wallace were injured.

As I said previously he needs to be given licence to improvise because that is what he brings to the team.

He needs to be allowed to do what he does best and not feel inhibited in any way. When you see what he is capable off in NSW Cup he brings that wow factor to the game and there is absolutely no reason why he can't have the same impact in the top grade. No reason at all.
The following user(s) said Thank You   Kevin