Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: R9 Brisbane Broncos v Penrith Panthers

R9 Brisbane Broncos v Penrith Panthers 2 years 8 months ago #21901

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 146
The Panthers head up north to take on the table Brisbane Broncos (NRL and Holden Cup) at Suncorp Stadium today.

The Holden Cup Panthers are on a hot streak of 4 wins and a win will see the Panthers on level points with competition leaders Brisbane Broncos. Can the boys aim up and put their stamp on the Holden Cup this week?

The NRL Panthers will welcome back the much needed Jamie Soward and Elijah Taylor to take on the hot Brisbane Broncos who have won 7 of their last 10 games. With players returning to the NRL team, can the Panthers start to string some wins together.

Don't forget this game is delayed on Channel 9, so this thread may contain spoilers.

NYC: Brisbane Broncos v Penrith Panthers - 5:20pm (LOCAL) @ Suncorp Stadium [ PEN 40 - BRI 24 ]
NRL: Brisbane Broncos v Penrith Panthers - 7:30pm (LOCAL) @ Suncorp Stadium [ BRI 8 - PEN 5 ]
Last Edit: 2 years 8 months ago by Steve Tidball.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

R9 Brisbane Broncos v Penrith Panthers 2 years 8 months ago #21902

Screw you Channel Nine, Gem Channel and Foxsports.

Hello to live streaming

'NRL' is a fallacy. there is nothing 'national' about this game.

Farcical.
The following user(s) said Thank You   Steve Tidball

R9 Brisbane Broncos v Penrith Panthers 2 years 8 months ago #21903

• Dufeyz
  • Thank you received: 44
Soward, Taylor IN. Sika Manu OUT. source: Triple M

R9 Brisbane Broncos v Penrith Panthers 2 years 8 months ago #21904

• Panther Jack
  • It's bad luck i swear.
  • Thank you received: 108
The NRL's constant talk about Boyd coming back and barely a whisper about Soward has got me worried that they have already decided who will win tonight.

Much like five of our last six matches(with one of them we still won which was against the Shonkies).

Let's hope it's the same as our last match.

Panthers 26-16 Broncos.

Carn Panthers!

R9 Brisbane Broncos v Penrith Panthers 2 years 8 months ago #21905

• Puss
  • Thank you received: 259
souf aussie panther wrote:
Screw you Channel Nine, Gem Channel and Foxsports.

Hello to live streaming

'NRL' is a fallacy. there is nothing 'national' about this game.

Farcical.

.... absobloodylutely. Collectively they can go get stuffed. We can watch an FACup live later this month from London, but can't raise a game of League from bloody Brisbane. This games admin is going backwoods and they hold the fans in contempt.

Interesting to note Sportsbet are reporting a $10,000 bet on Panthers to win. Must be souf and his streaming buddies. :cheer:
The following user(s) said Thank You   souf aussie panther

R9 Brisbane Broncos v Penrith Panthers 2 years 8 months ago #21906

• mutley
  • Thank you received: 205
Our NYC side has won 40-24, putting them equal with the Broncos, at the top of the ladder.
Last Edit: 2 years 8 months ago by mutley.

R9 Brisbane Broncos v Penrith Panthers 2 years 8 months ago #21907

• Panther Jack
  • It's bad luck i swear.
What did i say.

Dud penalties left, right and centre, all of which going towards the 'home team'.

The team 'everyone' wants to win because of beautiful Boyd coming back and gracing the NRL with his presence.

Not to mention one of them led to a try.

We've played really well and we really don't deserve to be losing by two points, but at least i can take comfort into knowing that if things stay the same, headlines will be plastered everywhere that acts like they played like a team of supermen.

Different week, same ****.

R9 Brisbane Broncos v Penrith Panthers 2 years 8 months ago #21908

• mutley
  • Thank you received: 205
If the score remains the same for the next 20 mins, we might get home on the back of the square up penalties. Surely the Trent call will have to go out soon :P

R9 Brisbane Broncos v Penrith Panthers 2 years 8 months ago #21909

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
Holden Cup Full Time

Penrith Panthers 40 (Albert, Naden 2, Harawira-Naera, Crichton 3, Clark. 4G) def.
Brisbane Broncos 24 (Saitaua 2, Pearson, Byrnes. 4G)

Half Time: Panthers 16 lead Broncos 6

Telstra Premiership Full Time

Brisbane Broncos 8 (Hahu, Oates.) def.
Penrith Panthers 5 (Moylan 2G. Moylan 1FG)

Half Time: Broncos 4 lead. Panthers 2

R9 Brisbane Broncos v Penrith Panthers 2 years 8 months ago #21910

• Anthony
  • Thank you received: 12
Went to the game. Gutted. We lacked composure in the last 10 minutes. Too many dumb plays. Offloads in our own half leading to dropped balls after we hit the lead. Soward failing to find touch and kicking the ball dead with 2 minutes on the clock.

On the plus side we turned up tonight and competed for the full 80 minutes against the comp leaders with a young team.

R9 Brisbane Broncos v Penrith Panthers 2 years 8 months ago #21911

• Tylooper
  • Thank you received: 197
Tough to take in the end. I'd imagine Jamie would like to take that last kick back and at least wait until the last tackle, before drilling it out over the touchline.

A bloody good effort considering but we need to play smarter sometimes. If Wallace isn't back next game, Ivan needs to go back to the halves combination that got us to the preliminary final. John just doesn't offer anything in attack at the moment.

I thought the front rowers played really well. I haven't seen the stats but I'd hazard a guess that we ran at least a couple hundred more meters than the Broncos forwards. I also thought Yeo had a good game and ET was everywhere as usual.

To Channel Nine.....if Ray Hadley is your second selection for commentator, you are in massive trouble. Firstly, the guy is a drip and secondly, the guy is a drip. i cannot believe they sacked Andrew Voss for this guy.
Last Edit: 2 years 8 months ago by Tylooper.

R9 Brisbane Broncos v Penrith Panthers 2 years 8 months ago #21912

• TalentScout
  • Thank you received: 82
The backs should be carrying the forwards bags to the airport after that game... They certainly laid the foundation to set up a win.
They won the ruck in both attack and defence with quick play the balls and wrestle. It was clearly frustrating the Broncos.
RCG is getting better with every game.. (He's definitely a keeper)..
Is Nigel Plum retiring this year? Geez I hope not.. He's the perfect front rower and I wouldn't swap him for any prop in the game.
Macca's hit ups were barnstorming. Love how he's running between shoulders now and not straight at the body. He's carrying defenders and getting faster play the balls.
Lats made 1 error in trying a pressured offload in our half, Which dropped a few heads. But had solid carries.
ET was everywhere.. He reads the game so well.
Api could've scooted a few more times, the 2 or 3 times he did, created mayhem around the ruck.

The backs how-ever, just didn't question their defence enough..
The Milford/ Reed side is definitely the Broncos weaker side and not once did they open that side up.
It was obvious we ran Lewis Brown at Milford (which is a very good idea) but, they needed to try it one on one, not on the short side with Nos. It would've set up Lewis brown angling back toward Milford as a decoy, later in the game.

If we did spread the ball it went through the hands with no angled decoys.. Just a hand off now and then.
wouldve liked to see waqa vs reed when DWZ went off. His footwork/ change of direction could've been the difference. (DWZ tried to run around reed.) (waqa would benefit from watching Mark Gasnier footage)
I like the idea of the grubber on the sweeping play, but, it needs to be a pass earlier, not from the sweeper. (Dummy to the sweeper, to commit their wide players, drop it on the foot) (That's where we need Wallace)

When you keep your opposition below 10 and your forwards are dominating, you should be coming away with the 2pts.

R9 Brisbane Broncos v Penrith Panthers 2 years 8 months ago #21913

• TalentScout
  • Thank you received: 82
Oh! And I agree with Tylooper regarding Ray Hadley!! OMG! :woohoo: such a head doer..

Ps: at one stage in commentary I thought Wally was having a fit or something.. Hadley and Freddy questioned him to no response.. It got weird..

R9 Brisbane Broncos v Penrith Panthers 2 years 8 months ago #21914

• mr walker
  • Thank you received: 129
Disappointed of course not to get the 2 points, and to lose in the last minute. As always, a couple of things go wrong which affected the flow of the game & maybe the result. That goal-line dropout decision by chicken legs exposed him once again as a complete DH.

But have to say, proud to be a Panther today. Right across the park we ran with effort & tackled liked demons. It was a high quality game, with 2 of the top teams in the league playing. Not a bad player for us.

We will be better with the return of Whare, Wally & Segy, but our guys made me think last night, we are truly in this comp, something I was doubting recently.

Don't like to name individuals after a great TEAM effort, but I have to pay special tribute to JS. I was doubtful about his signing, albeit mostly of the 4 years part, but this guy has gone to another level in his time with us. Maybe he just needed to be 'wanted' in a leadership role, for his skills, abilities and spirit to shine thru. He IS the difference for us, and to play such a dominant role, returning from injury was a testament to him. Get Wally back as a foil to him & we will give this thing a big shake.

Note I think the performance upfront has confirmed that we have moved past old man Kite.

Re-sign Plummy now :)

Well done boys, and a shoutout to the fans who ventured north for the game.
The following user(s) said Thank You   BathurstTom

Re:R9 Brisbane Broncos v Penrith Panthers 2 years 8 months ago #21915

• kyussian
  • Thank you received: 5
Anthony wrote:
Went to the game. Gutted. We lacked composure in the last 10 minutes. Too many dumb plays. Offloads in our own half leading to dropped balls after we hit the lead. Soward failing to find touch and kicking the ball dead with 2 minutes on the clock.

100% spot on. Despite the best intentions those unforced errors (Api offload/Moylan drop & Soward failed touch finder) ultimately gave them a sniff & they grabbed it. Hard to swallow the loss & reminders of Brookvale last year. We needed to shut down the game in the last 5 mins. The one thing that got me was Soward's kick was on the 4th of a 7 tackle set with the Broncos retreating & struggling! Such a huge turnaround & you could see the anguish on his face when it went dead & at the same time lift the Broncos & the home crowd. Even a handover close to their line would've been better but hindsight is a wonderful thing. Other observations:

• very proud of that effort & my belief has been restored. If that is the standard they can reach consistently then things can only look good for the season ahead
• our attack is just not there - especially in the opposition 20. It was obvious Moylan was hampered by his hand injury. We relied on bombs which we gave away 3 penalties on. Also bombed two chances to score with unmarked men outside. Think we may be missing Idris more than we realise especially his power runs & ability to attract defenders close to the line
• starting to review my concerns re Yeo - I think Ivan might be right after all. He will only get better
• favourable hometown decisions may have ultimately cost us but happy the boys didn't drop their heads - effort is there just execution
• hoping we don't pay for Tyrone's brain snap but you could see he was frustrated at the mistake & then the harassment by Blair
• thrilled to have Soward & Taylor back - such great contributors to our team

R9 Brisbane Broncos v Penrith Panthers 2 years 8 months ago #21916

went to bed last night feeling like a 10 year old whose pet had just died.
The following user(s) said Thank You   Pomoz

R9 Brisbane Broncos v Penrith Panthers 2 years 8 months ago #21917

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator

That pretty much sums up how I felt at Full Time.

Out of curiosity, when was the last time a team has won a game of Rugby League without scoring a try?

EDIT: I found a game in 1973, the score was a 1-0 win by Newtown over St. George in 1973.
Last Edit: 2 years 8 months ago by Steve Tidball.

R9 Brisbane Broncos v Penrith Panthers 2 years 8 months ago #21918

Didn't QLD win Origin game 2-0 in 1995 series!

R9 Brisbane Broncos v Penrith Panthers 2 years 8 months ago #21919

• BathurstTom
  • Thank you received: 35
Mr Walker, very well said. I hope the players know the fans are proud of that effort.

Tom.

R9 Brisbane Broncos v Penrith Panthers 2 years 8 months ago #21920

• Panther Jack
  • It's bad luck i swear.
Heartbreaking, distraught, but mostly proud of this great team's efforts.

It seems like the NRL already knew who were going to win the game before it even started, based on the penalties they were giving Brisbane in the first half alone.If Jamie didn't remind the ref of the Heighington incident a couple of weeks ago before the decision was made, you could put your house on Peachey being sent off.

The fact we went to the ladder leader's home ground and fought this, especially with Chicko, Wallace, Whare and co out injured, i'm not sure how Brisbane fans can celebrate barring the late try 'adrenaline rush'.

Our reserve grade team were better than them, this backs up my point from another thread, i'm confident we will add another premiership to the club at the end of the year, but first we need to hope the bad luck with injuries and referee decisions end find a reason as into why we get so many injuries and put the referees under further scrutiny without the NRL protecting them.

Bring on the Mongs.
Last Edit: 2 years 8 months ago by Panther Jack.

R9 Brisbane Broncos v Penrith Panthers 2 years 8 months ago #21921

• panthermike
  • Thank you received: 10
A tight game which we lost [ie they didn,t win it] Penalising one side for something but not the other ,ig guess thats not bias.

R9 Brisbane Broncos v Penrith Panthers 2 years 8 months ago #21924

• Pomoz
  • Thank you received: 204
A few points from the game:
•RCG is increasingly looking like the real deal. He is beating our established props in games against the big teams. 179m against the Broncos (the most of any player) with a prop who is touted for SOO and a lock who is a SOO legend;

•Api gives much smoother service from dummy half than Segyaro who seemed to lose his way a bit in deciding whether he was a ball player or a dummy half. I understand that he was doing so in the belief he needed to do more because Wallace and Soward were out, but I think it just made him less effective. Api deserves his spot right now;

•Blake is struggling a bit as he adjusts to life with the big boys. His defence is good but he needs to do a few more runs. Just a confidence thing I think;

•Moylan’s busted hand makes ball security very difficult and he lost the ball a few times. This could be a real problem over the next few weeks. Why not give DWZ a run and let Moylan have a rest? He isn’t very effective when he is turning over the ball all the time;

•Peachey frustrates the hell out of me. He makes errors at crucial times. To become a great player instead of a nice to have impact player, he needs to reduce his error rate and be prepared to tough it out;

•Any doubts about the quality of Soward should now be laid to rest. We are a completely different team when he is playing and to play as well as he did after such a long layoff, shows how good he is. We just need a good halfback. Api? Hastings? Moylan?

•Bennett has the Broncos playing well. I think they are a superstar short from winning a comp though. They should go well this year.

The ref was spot on with the Moylan call in goal call. It was dumb play by Moylan. Never put the ref in a position where he has to exercise discretion because you never know the outcome. Rules are rules. We score from a quick tap and the Brocnos have every right to call foul. We would, if the position was reversed.
Last Edit: 2 years 8 months ago by Pomoz.

R9 Brisbane Broncos v Penrith Panthers 2 years 8 months ago #21925

• Tylooper
  • Thank you received: 197
It will be interesting to see how the referee's adjudicate the dead ball rule for the rest of the year. I have seen hundreds of examples of defending players touching the ball before it hits the ground over the dead ball line. Friday was the first time I have seen the letter of the law applied.

The disappointing thing for me is the lack of consistency. Why a referee decides at a given moment to apply the rule when it never gets applied, is beyond me. This decision didn't cost us the match but it certainly played a major roll.

Another disappointing thing is, we played Easts last year and they were awarded a 40/20, which led to a sin bin and try against us. The replay clearly showed that Moylan touched the ball after his foot touched the sideline and before the ball hit the ground. The correct ruling should have been a scrum but they gave the quick tap. This was exactly the same situation as Friday but the rule applied differently.

Between this incident and the overturned 'try' rules against the Cowboys, we are certainly owed our share of luck. This is probably a stupid comment but it seems to me that some teams are afforded more latitude than others in the 50/50 calls.

On the Peachey tackle, I agree it didn't look good. However, I will argue that there was intent. Frustration is not a defense but if you look at Tyrone's face when he picked Blair up, you can clearly see that he was shocked that the tackle ended up the way it did. Careless and dangerous - yes, intentional - no. Then again, I won't be surprised if another decision goes against us in terms of the suspension length.
Last Edit: 2 years 8 months ago by Tylooper.

Re:R9 Brisbane Broncos v Penrith Panthers 2 years 8 months ago #21929

• Dal
Steve Tidball wrote:

That pretty much sums up how I felt at Full Time.

Out of curiosity, when was the last time a team has won a game of Rugby League without scoring a try?

That is the best call from souf I have ever heard!!!
I was devastated but very proud of the boys I hope our luck turns because last year we had a bit of luck but this year the balls not rolling our way
I'm sure things will turn
It goes to show what a quality player JS is
I would also hate to see Api sit in reggies when segs is back but will two hookers work in our style of play?
I like Apis style of play his service of ball is high quality what do u guys think

R9 Brisbane Broncos v Penrith Panthers 2 years 8 months ago #21930

• panthermike
  • Thank you received: 10
Inconsistent rulings , Opposing teams given more time etc and inventive rulings that have not been applied for many a year,this is the lot of a panther follower. Remember our kicker being penalised for stepping over the try line for a drop out, in front of the kicker when kicking off ,all rules but applied to no one else. Now we have this one against us but it won,t be applied to any other team. ahhhhh
  • Page: