Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: R12 Panthers v Eels Game Day Thread

R12 Panthers v Eels Game Day Thread 2 years 7 months ago #22102

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 146
This is the place.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

R12 Panthers v Eels Game Day Thread 2 years 7 months ago #22104

• Puss
  • Thank you received: 259
..... Xxxx this. 10 mins gone, down 12 blot and Moylans gone. Thank xxxx for Judge Judy.

R12 Panthers v Eels Game Day Thread 2 years 7 months ago #22105

• Pomoz
  • Thank you received: 204
Cartwright. Shazza. Humble pie. Fries with that?

R12 Panthers v Eels Game Day Thread 2 years 7 months ago #22106

• Pomoz
  • Thank you received: 204
Cartwright. Shazza. Humble pie. Dessert.

R12 Panthers v Eels Game Day Thread 2 years 7 months ago #22107

Well that sux.........The whistle blowers got what they wanted :S

LP

R12 Panthers v Eels Game Day Thread 2 years 7 months ago #22108

• benos
  • Thank you received: 49
Does Blake have feet for hands? I always cringe when I see him with the ball. Even when he was going for the try I wasn't surprised that he dropped it.
The following user(s) said Thank You   Anthony

R12 Panthers v Eels Game Day Thread 2 years 7 months ago #22109

• panthermike
  • Thank you received: 10
Well we played another team into form. Grrrrrr

R12 Panthers v Eels Game Day Thread 2 years 7 months ago #22110

• Anthony
  • Thank you received: 12
Lewis Brown and Isaah Yeoh were good. The rest, average.

Waqa Blake.....worst hands in the team. His hands were responsible for a 12 point swing. Butchered a try and spilled the ball to gift Parra the field position for their last try. Seriously poor.

R12 Panthers v Eels Game Day Thread 2 years 7 months ago #22111

• Tylooper
  • Thank you received: 197
We were out enthused, we were bashed but somehow, we stayed in the game. We really need to do something about our go forward as we are being forced to go sideways, way too much.

We really are cursed at the moment with injuries and when Moylan went down, i just thought....here we go again. To his credit, DWZ stepped in and did a great job. It will be interesting to see what happens next week if Whare is still out injured. Will Moss get his chance?

Finally, I hope people aren't going to go too hard at the young players in our team. We've got some great players of the future and it takes time to be as good as everyone expects you to be. Talent only takes you so far but experience completes the circle. The likes of Cartwright, Yeo, Jennings and Blake are going to be leaders in the next 3-4 years. Ryan James is a perfect example of talent taking time to develop.
Last Edit: 2 years 7 months ago by Tylooper.
The following user(s) said Thank You   mr walker

R12 Panthers v Eels Game Day Thread 2 years 7 months ago #22112

• Tylooper
What about Checcin tonight.......teams stand off side and we do it too but tonight, a few of those fat Parramatta forwards stood offside all game and to negate it, he moved up with them, rather than penalise for not being back with him. If he is one of the best we have, the game has issues.

R12 Panthers v Eels Game Day Thread 2 years 7 months ago #22113

• Panther Jack
  • It's bad luck i swear.
  • Thank you received: 108
A Panthers fan after the Roosters game(DWZ no try) on facebook was telling everyone to relax, as it will all even up and we will get the rub of the green back later on in the season, when it matters.

Judging by the officiating performance displayed tonight, the refs have a lot of matches to make up for later in the season to even it up.
Last Edit: 2 years 7 months ago by Panther Jack.

R12 Panthers v Eels Game Day Thread 2 years 7 months ago #22114

• Tylooper
Panther Jack wrote:
A Panthers fan after the Roosters game(DWZ no try) on facebook was telling everyone to relax, as it will all even up and we will get the rub of the green back later on in the season, when it matters.

Judging by the officiating performance displayed tonight, the refs have a lot of matches to make up for later in the season to even it up.

Mate, we lost it tonight, not the officials.
The following user(s) said Thank You   mutley

R12 Panthers v Eels Game Day Thread 2 years 7 months ago #22115

• Panther Jack
  • It's bad luck i swear.
I never said we were the globetrotters.

Nor did i say we played like Parra from 1956-1961.

Ah, forget it.

They will probably just want us to shut up and go with it.

#SouthsBackToBack

R12 Panthers v Eels Game Day Thread 2 years 7 months ago #22116

• hivnoh holova
  • Celebrating 40 Years as a Penrith tragic !
  • Thank you received: 114
That first half was amazingly poor. We were a competent team going through the motions. No struggle to get up and play the ball no drive in the hit ups. I'm really curious as to what Ivan had put into the boys heads before that performance. Something like "just hold the ball and we'll win" ??? The players appeared disinterested in the first half and as much as it hurts to say Parra deserved their win.

The Moylan injury is a case in point of where there was a lack of effort. He should not have been doing that hit up. A winger should have been there.as that point of the set.. Another example is with 1.40 left in the first half we meander to a scrum, take the 40 seconds we would have had the ball after Parra to pack. and so we lose the last shot of the half because of laziness. There are a number of examples of this sort of slopiness and lack of leadership throughout the first half.

It was interesting to see Cartwright blossom on the left side when Soward went off and disappear when Soward returned. Carty appears to be a player being held back in "playing a role" rather than what is in front of him.. Hopefully this will change in the next few weeks.

2015 has become incredibly frustrating. How many fluent 80 minute performances have we put on in 11 matches ? 2- 3 ? Injuries have been a factor but they don't explain everything, especially when considering last year.

Tonight appeared like the players minds were elsewhere. I wonder what is going on in the background ? Something isn't right.

R12 Panthers v Eels Game Day Thread 2 years 7 months ago #22117

• Panther Jack
  • It's bad luck i swear.
Parra player should have been binned, or at least penalised, for holding down Wallace after break on fifth tackle late in the game.Refs were too scared knowing it was the last tackle.

It's not going to get any better against Melbourne next week, knowing how last year's game against them at Penrith went officiating wise. :sick:

I don't care if a fortune teller told everyone before the game that we will not deserve to nor will we win.

It's still a very blatant refereeing error that has once again cost us the opportunity to get the two points.

And the obstruction try?****

Nope, too p*ssed off to type right now.Going to bed. :angry:

R12 Panthers v Eels Game Day Thread 2 years 7 months ago #22118

• P4N7H3R5
  • Thank you received: 48
The game was frustrating to say the least.

Moving forward I think it's worth noting that with Idris & Whare in our backline we looked a far better side. Blake & Jennings may be the future but right now I can't see them adding value to the side. Injuries are killing us :-(

DWZ at fullback will be interesting to see. We tried hard but we were beaten in the forwards and lacked any real direction. I feel as though we will blood all these youngsters and have them primed for an NRL career only for them to boom elsewhere. Separate issue.

Too drunk.

R12 Panthers v Eels Game Day Thread 2 years 7 months ago #22119

• mutley
  • Thank you received: 205
Watching the early exchanges last night, I got the feeling that our boys went out with the attitude that if they went through the motions, they would walk away with the points. You can't take that attitude with any team in this competition if you want to be a contender.

The second half we did show improvement, and showed glimpses of what we are capable of when we are switched on, but in the end it was too little, too late. You won't win too many games playing 15-20 minutes & going through the motions for the rest.

Credit to Parra, they turned up to play & deserved to win it.

We need to learn to take every opponent seriously from the opening whistle.
Last Edit: 2 years 7 months ago by mutley.
The following user(s) said Thank You   Pomoz, mr walker, Anthony

R12 Panthers v Eels Game Day Thread 2 years 7 months ago #22120

• shazza
  • Thank you received: 162
Watching the game last night, it was hard not to be consumed by a dreaded feeling of deja vu. Twice against the bottom dwelling Sharks last year, we went into unloseable games with no apparent resolve other than to go through the motions and stay healthy for the next round. I know that wasn't anyone's true intention but that's certainly how it appeared then and sadly, in the opening period last night. In criticizing Penrith's first half performance it's easy to forget how well Parramatta played. They were absolutely brutal in defense, their shape and execution in attack was near flawless and the fact that we were as close as we were at the break was a case of good luck on our part rather than a lack of total control on theirs. Parramatta played with great enthusiasm and structure and in comparison, we seemed disinterested, disorganized and below our best. Yes the refereeing, especially control of the 10mts in the rucks, was appalling but as Tylooper said, it wasn't the whistle-blowers that beat us, we were simply outplayed by a better team on the night. I'd have happily taken it but it would have been an injustice if we'd managed to snatch a last gasp win.

It was great to see young Cartwright finally show what he's capable of, hopefully his success last night will give him the confidence to get a lot more involved from here on in. And let's not over look the fact that Isiah Yeo, while lacking the hype and silky skills of his young 2nd row partner, also set-up and scored a pair of tries which, for some reason, have gone pretty much unremarked upon.

I thought Lewis Brown was our MoM, closely followed by Peter Wallace. Coming off a 5? week break and a family tragedy, Wallace, particularly in defence, was positively inspirational. DWZ was also outstanding and tragic as it is, the loss of Moylan could well see the arrival of a new superstar fullback in our ranks. Hopefully Dean Whare will be back for the Melbourne clash, the big question will be who will partner him in the centres? If Peachy comes straight back into first-grade, we'll have one forward surplus to requirements, a move to the 3/4's for Bryce Cartwright might warrant some consideration. He certainly looked a lot more comfortable and effective out wide last night, than he did in the war zone of the ruck.

The worry with Melbourne is, they play exactly the same style of structured football Parramatta employed so successfully last night. The only thing is they invented it and you would have to imagine are even better at it than the 14th placed Eels. Thankfully it's not our worry, sorting out how to overcome it is what Ivan gets paid the big bucks for.

Shazza

R12 Panthers v Eels Game Day Thread 2 years 7 months ago #22121

• panthermike
  • Thank you received: 10
Our forwards got manhandled last night, they don,t bend/break the line.They may be "fleet of foot" but slow at the play the ball.

R12 Panthers v Eels Game Day Thread 2 years 7 months ago #22122

There are many Penrith fans out there that think we are only losing because the ref's are ripping us off on a weekly basis, and that we are serious premiership contenders if we start getting a fair rub of the green.

I dont believe this to be the case.

We have problems. I will now outline them for you:

- We lack speed, movement and aggression in the forwards. Plum is inconsistent, Manu is predicable, Kite (before his hip replacement surgery) was having all kinds of difficulty maneuvering his walking frame in and around the ruck. Gould realizes this and thus signed Merrin and is now targeting the young Kiwi wrecking ball playing in Nth Qld.

- our young outside backs have terrific potential, but are slow learners and their inexperience is costing us, both in attack and defense. Blake in particular doesnt appear to be the sharpest pencil in the pack, but could be worth persevering with.

- injuries. we will never win a comp with the consistent long term injuries to key players. This is totally inexplicable yet is about the only consistent aspect of our play.

- Api's must be thinking the jump to Penrith was a waste of time. He plays a similar role to what he played at Souths.

- Ivan's attempts to involve Taylor more in our attacking plays look very amateurish. I didnt realise just how one dimensional Taylor is as a player. Cartwright could be a better option at lock.

- Mr Suave Cleary needs to work on his ability to effectively mentally prepare a team for a game. This is one of the few times under his coaching that Penrith do not seem to be moving forward in a positive direction.

And, if Penrith keep playing like they did during the Elliot Era, we may find this forum once again becomes the powerhouse it was during those heady days!
The following user(s) said Thank You   Pomoz

R12 Panthers v Eels Game Day Thread 2 years 7 months ago #22123

• Anthony
  • Thank you received: 12
Souf.....agree with most of your comments, particularly regarding our backs. I was at the game in Brisbane and there was a moment when a high ball was put through for the backs to chase. We couldn't get there in time to compete for the ball but Blake got there just in time to belt the Brisbane player in mid air hence giving away a penalty and relieving all pressure on the broncos. It was possibly the dumbest play I've seen all year and he copped a spray from a few of the boys. Blake appears to be missing one key ingredient....a good footballing brain. Here's hoping the coaching staff are on top of it.

The question has to be asked though......why are we so poor early in games? Why do we get consistently out-enthused in the initial exchanges? We seem to be capable of holding our own once the game gets into the grind but we make life so hard for ourselves by conceding early points.
Last Edit: 2 years 7 months ago by Anthony.

R12 Panthers v Eels Game Day Thread 2 years 7 months ago #22124

• Panther1967
  • Thank you received: 142
Goal-kicking the difference.

Maybe that bloke at Cronulla might want to come back.

And there is something about a long turnaround,or a bye,that mysteriously turns us into playing like strangers.

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet,the most glaring aspect of that poor first 10 minutes was the inexperience in reading the defense.

We sorely need Whare and Mansour back ASAP.

In fact,we need the whole lot back...including confidence.

R12 Panthers v Eels Game Day Thread 2 years 7 months ago #22125

I see Kieren Moss is back for the NSW Cup team today...

Could he be a bolter to fill Moylan's boots?

Providing he plays well today and makes it through the game in one piece!!

I do agree DWZ played well at fullback, just keen on people's thoughts?

R12 Panthers v Eels Game Day Thread 2 years 7 months ago #22126

• Puss
  • Thank you received: 259
67 ........ Your bearded buddy Mansour is not renowned as a defensive tyro.

We looked as if we hadn't played together in a while and we haven't. We did run in a few three pointers you know. The game however dictates you don't allow them scored against you.

The forwards ..... why does McKendry play so few minutes? He looks the most likely to whack someone. Aggression is a dirty word out west, we look more like giving someone a warm hug. There's more aggression in the beer queue.

We'll get better, no doubt, but a serious challenger for the '15 title, forget it.
Last Edit: 2 years 7 months ago by Puss.
The following user(s) said Thank You   Pomoz

R12 Panthers v Eels Game Day Thread 2 years 7 months ago #22129

• Dufeyz
  • Thank you received: 44
I don't know how we beat melbourne next week. It's not the refs fault, but it always seems like when we get convincingly beaten, its by the slow ruck speed. If i was Cleary, i would be calling Archer every night until saturday. We can't and wont win games if our ruk speed is that slow. The forwards can't bend the line, unless josh mansour/idris are there to get quick play the balls on the 1st/2nd tackle. Moylan tried, and now he's gone for 6 weeks.

Looking forward to DWZ, I'm sure he will play fullback. I hope Mansour and Whare are back, melbourne's set plays will destroy our edges if young blokes are playing there. Melbourne are due for a loss, if that means anything.
  • Page: