Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: R20 Panthers v Raiders Game Day Thread

R20 Panthers v Raiders Game Day Thread 2 years 5 months ago #22556

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 146
This is the place.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

R20 Panthers v Raiders Game Day Thread 2 years 5 months ago #22557

• mutley
  • Thank you received: 205
Our NYC team have run out 64-8 winners over the 4th placed Raiders.

Only change for first grade is Jennings in for Simmons.

Crowd looking poor so far, although there is still over 30 minx until kickoff. Several regulars who sit around me have not shown up yet, and I know several others that are definitely not coming. Disappointing with our season on the line today.
Last Edit: 2 years 5 months ago by mutley.

R20 Panthers v Raiders Game Day Thread 2 years 5 months ago #22558

• Puss
  • Thank you received: 259
...... dismal. This side needs a makeover and then some. Their second half effort was lacklustre to say the least.
The following user(s) said Thank You   Lismore Panther

R20 Panthers v Raiders Game Day Thread 2 years 5 months ago #22559

• Panther182
  • Thank you received: 14
some poor errors and ball handling cost us the game but with a reserve grade backline minus whare I wasn't too surprised.

we let in some very soft trys but at least our attack was looking better.

Don't hold out to much hope for the rest of the season but while we are still a chance we can't give up.

Re:R20 Panthers v Raiders Game Day Thread 2 years 5 months ago #22560

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 146
I'm not a fan of pointing out players performances, but Ivan needs to reconsider Waqa Blake's involvement in first grade.
The following user(s) said Thank You   mutley, Kevin

Re:R20 Panthers v Raiders Game Day Thread 2 years 5 months ago #22561

• Puss
..... and then some, coz everything ain't peachy at the foot of the mountains.
Last Edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Puss.

Re:R20 Panthers v Raiders Game Day Thread 2 years 5 months ago #22562

• Puss
..... and you know it irks me no end that our guru, our guardian, our Gus is across town commentating on another matchup. Least he coulda done is donate $10.00c to the 'community charity' as it's unlikely he's paid for a seat in a very long time.

I heard he reads the newspaper upside down coz Panthers are higher on the premiership,ladder. We're not good enough to worry anybody crept travel agencies come Sept.
Last Edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Puss.

R20 Panthers v Raiders Game Day Thread 2 years 5 months ago #22563

• Dufeyz
  • Thank you received: 44
Soward was a bit better today. Our backline is very inexperienced. I believe raiders have the best attack in the comp? So it was no surprise to have so many points scored against us. When you look at the team sheet, the raiders are neutral or better in almost every position.

You put even just moylan in the backline, we probably win. You add mansour, idris and DWZ and we win comfortably and probably sit inside the top 4. But the fact is these injuries have decimated us.

On the plus side, it was great to watch our 20s put a cricket score on. Topped off by the raiders goal kicker having a shocker. We were yelling/appalauding him, then he turned to us and smiled. I love a good sledge but I'm glad he could see the lighter side of it.

Supposed to have the mansourus back next week, and we will need all the troops/ luck we can get against the Bunnies.

R20 Panthers v Raiders Game Day Thread 2 years 5 months ago #22564

• Rabbit
  • Thank you received: 60
They released Naiqama, Eto Nabuli and James Robert at the beginning of the year, probably thinking they had enough depth.
Since wingers can be often slotted in at fullback, here would be my list above Will smith for the fullback position (Not in Order) -
Moylan
Simmons
DWZ
Mansour
Jennings
Jennings
Blake
Moss
Whare

Because of injuries in other positions their probably wasn't many other options on the day.
Smith made about five errors in the first half that I had noticed.
This is the age of the salary cap and you can't expect to play a tenth string fullback in a professional sport and think everything is going to be OK. (13 string from end of last season - is that a massive joke or what)
If there wasn't a salary cap you could go out and buy a reserve grade fullback that some other club wasn't using. But if you get so many injuries in one department, you're done. It's black hole time.
The team and club selection has been boxed in by injuries, you can't blame Gus Gould, Cleary or administration.
I knew we were going to lose and was surprised when we got so close.
Ps I was the member who wrote a few weeks ago that tries are often scored after wingers and fullbacks made
errors. (head dropping moments) I would rather use older guys that make better reads in defensive and attacking
situations than young blokes that can attack a little bit on the wing and at fullback. But there is nothing I or anyone could do today - no personal left to pick from. Game Over. Forget about it. Look to next season. It sux.

R20 Panthers v Raiders Game Day Thread 2 years 5 months ago #22565

• mutley
Injuries & inexperience have killed our season, and today was just another chapter in that book. I would say it's time to blood a few youngsters & look toward the future, but that has been the story of our year anyway. Mathematicaly we might be a chance, but from what I saw today, we don't have it in us to win 6/6, or 5/6 with a huge improvement in for & against. I just hope we can jag a few wins (especially at home), so we can finish on a positive note.

R20 Panthers v Raiders Game Day Thread 2 years 5 months ago #22566

• mr walker
  • Thank you received: 129
Very disappointing again. Last week we got smashed by a red hot team. This week the opposition were very beatable.

We were down on troops, but were in it at oranges. But our 2nd half was very poor. I think IC must have told the kickers they would be fined if we kicked and gave them a 7 tackle set, so our 5th tackle options were very very poor.

We had only one of our 1st choice 3/4's today and needed Whare to step up. Again he just went thru the motions. Our halves playing against a reject half looked pretty ordinary.

At least that charge down put us out of our misery for 2015. We were really just hanging in, both in terms of this game& the season.

Segy was great & Plummy and RCG did well.

The crowd was very disappointing. I guess the members voted with their backsides. At least not being able to arrange the Christchurch venue, gave the travelling Raiders fans a chance to see their team go around.

R20 Panthers v Raiders Game Day Thread 2 years 5 months ago #22567

• panthermike
  • Thank you received: 10
Every try by the Raiders was straight after a mistake by us.We had no game management [ Wallace is in a slump] I liked the forwards but the backs need more experience.

Re:R20 Panthers v Raiders Game Day Thread 2 years 5 months ago #22568

• kyussian
  • Thank you received: 5
Very disappointing again.

Does anyone know where we sit when it comes to unforced errors? I daresay we'd be one of the worst offenders in the league. Would also be interested to know if there was a stat that showed how many occasions we've conceded tries after making mistakes.

There's no doubting the efforts but the confidence & composure is lacking atm. Last tackle options, forced passes, lose carries, poor dummy-half service, missed tackles - we seem to constantly make mistakes that other teams don't.

Didn't see this coming after round 2 this year.

R20 Panthers v Raiders Game Day Thread 2 years 5 months ago #22569

• Pomoz
  • Thank you received: 204
mutley wrote:
Injuries & inexperience have killed our season, and today was just another chapter in that book. I would say it's time to blood a few youngsters & look toward the future, but that has been the story of our year anyway. Mathematicaly we might be a chance, but from what I saw today, we don't have it in us to win 6/6, or 5/6 with a huge improvement in for & against. I just hope we can jag a few wins (especially at home), so we can finish on a positive note.
Blood new youngsters!! We have more youngsters than old heads at the moment. Blake, Yeo, RCG, R Jennings, and Cartwright were all playing u20's 18 months ago. RCG, Blake and R Jennings are in their debut year. Smith has splayed a handful of games and as noted by others, is playing out of position. I think he is having a go and trying hard, you can't ask more than that.

Excluding the halves,we only had a single experienced player in our backline; Dean Whare. Other than dropping him, who else do we put in?

I thought we did OK yesterday, but to be honest, we have a huge chunk of salary cap sat with Spud and you cannot win games with 6 seasoned first graders missing. Add to that, Segyaro, Soward and Cartwright are clearly carrying injuries and you have a team that is going to struggle. At least they tried hard and forwards got stuck in. Abusing young guys like Blake serves no purpose. He has plenty of mongrel and will be a better player for the experience. it will be great to see him in a team that has all of best its players on board so he can show what he can do.

Like many others, I have concerns about our physical conditioning. A point that is often overlooked when I hear comments such as "it's not soft tissue injuries, so you can't blame the training". Muscle tears are only part of the issue. If our players aren't physically strong enough to cope with the impacts, then they will get impact injuries. If we put my nephew in the team, he is 17 and weighs 70kgs and has never lifted a weight in his life. How will he do when Dave Taylor tackles him and flops on him? Are our players strong enough?

I don't know the answer to this, but after so many injuries you should at least employ an independent expert to review it. No point asking somebody in the training staff, of course they will say "no hamstring tears, all good".

R20 Panthers v Raiders Game Day Thread 2 years 5 months ago #22570

• mutley
I think you misunderstood what I said - I was saying that we have been blooding youngsters all year

R20 Panthers v Raiders Game Day Thread 2 years 5 months ago #22571

• Pomoz
Mutley, sorry if I misunderstood you. You did say "I would say it's time to blood a few youngsters & look toward the future...the story of the year so far" so I thought you were implying blood even more. :silly:

Just on that concept, for us older chaps who have been watching sport a long time it is interesting to watch fans calling for youngsters to be given a go. This applies to all sports, not just league. Listen to soccer fans calling for the young reserve grade sensation be given a chance. Then watch them turn on them when it turns out they are no better than the older player in front of them and more inconsistent because they are inexperienced.

Old hands like Simmons are always dismissed, "get Jennings or Blake in". Then people are surprised when it turns out Simmons is actually good player (which is why he has had a long career. Bad players never last long in the NRL). We are seeing this first hand. One week Cartwright is deadset the best player in the the NRL and the next week, he struggles. The same for all our young players. Which is why the average age in the NRL is more than 22 and most players don't even debut until they are 21 or older. Our young players will be champions in a few years, maybe sooner with the accelerated learning they are getting right now. But we need experience in the team to balance it out.

Sometime, it would seem our best players are the ones we have never seen play for us yet.
The following user(s) said Thank You   mutley

R20 Panthers v Raiders Game Day Thread 2 years 5 months ago #22572

• Dufeyz
Spot on pomoz. You can bag the 4 reserve grade players all you like. (I'm looking at you Facebook coaches) but the truth is who do you replace them with? If our backline has no injuries, and for example DWZ is making a shitload of errors a game, isn't taking hit ups and is generally not trying. Then you replace him.

Someone said smith is realistically our 12-sting fullback (I would say 5th) but that explains where our issues are. Our forward pack as actually muscled up in recent weeks. It's the outside backs that have been killing us. Ivan will give Blake a ball to hold over the off season. And tell him to never drop it.

I was reading this 'article' in the daily telecrap about each teams coach killer. They said our worst offender was Tyrone Peachy. Honestly. What is that bloke on?

I know we scored 24 points yesterday, but the raiders have the worse defence in the comp. they will have to be a lot better to beat the bunnies.

R20 Panthers v Raiders Game Day Thread 2 years 5 months ago #22573

• shazza
  • Thank you received: 162
For a team that is looking jaded and in need of a good injection of vitality, the immediate future of the hapless Panthers seems to be firmly in the grip of the salary cap police. Sam Anderson and a still unfit Ben Murdoch-Massila are the only forwards currently available to selectors for call-up to the top side. With Plum ruled out next week due to the concussion rule, we have the choice between Anderson, who has the heart of Rocky Balbao but unfortunately the body of Sylvester Stalone and Murdoch-Massila who is still regaining top fitness after a long layoff through injury. Dave Simmons, who was a late withdrawal yesterday with a hamstring twinge, should be right for next week and Josh Mansour also looks a certain starter for the game against the Bunnies. Dean Whare went into yesterday’s game with a broken hand and sustained a serious finger injury during the match.

I don’t know if Soward is carrying an injury but, on yesterday’s performance, he certainly looks like he is. For those critical of Peter Wallace’s form, ask yourself how Anthony Milford or Blake Austin would go offensively if they were forced to make the number of tackles Wallace does, week in, week out. He copped a bad knock early in yesterday’s game but was still one of our best performers in a game with very few individual standouts.
The fact that we could still have won the match with 4 minutes to go shows that, despite being outplayed by one of the most potent attacking units in the NRL, our players never looked like throwing in the towel. Our forwards, in particular, gave as good as they got against a very big, aggressive, in-form Raiders pack.

Waqa Blake, pitched in at the deep end and playing out of position, has struggled to produce anything like First Grade form. For the time being at least, he’s all we’ve got, so we’ll/he’ll just have to make the best of a bad situation. He’s a good young player who hopefully will not suffer too much mental scaring as a result of this current horror stretch he’s going through.

The good news is, apart from the fact that Matty Moylan is back in full work, our reserves had another good win on the weekend and our U20’s, without Tyrone May and Ollie Clark, beat the 4th placed Raiders 64-8. That’s not a misprint, 64-8. Halfback Nathan Cleary, an absolute clone of his old man, had an outstanding game guiding his older team-mates about the paddock and kicked 10 goals to boot. Corey Harrawira, this week a centre, produced another strong performance but to be fair it was a great team effort and no one player deserves to be singled out over the rest.

shazza
The following user(s) said Thank You   Pomoz

R20 Panthers v Raiders Game Day Thread 2 years 5 months ago #22574

• benos
  • Thank you received: 49
I did want to change the tune a little bit and talk about the form of our Under 20's yesterday. Yes it was Sunday afternoon football in dry sunny conditions, but the game plan and execution of these young guys was outstanding. Cameron Ciraldo, for all the criticism he got as a player out here, is doing a wonderful job leading these boys around. And as Shazza touched on, you can't really single out any one player in particular, but I did like the work of our young front rowers. They ran hard all day and combine with each other at stages so well so set up and score tries. When you have front rowers backing up a break, that's what you want to see. In first grade wel struggle to even find a fullback that even backs up a half break.
Early in the second half is what impressed me, I think it was the number 10 Leota? He scored a try and then off the kick off our number 6 caught the ball dummied and went straight through a massive gap, but what impressed me most was the number 10 pushed up in support straight off the break, and even though he didn't get the ball (Corey Harrawira scored) he still ran the length of the field (with some good pace) and was the first to congratulate the try scorer. If this is the attitude of our young guys coming through, then I hope this is the culture they bring with them when they come into first grade.

The problem is when is the right time for them?

Ps. They have the best defence in the comp (pending Cowboys game tonight) with 330 points against. And when you consider the way the 20's play and the scores you see, 18 points a game conceded is a great effort and a step in learning how to play in the big leagues.
Last Edit: 2 years 5 months ago by benos.
The following user(s) said Thank You   Steve Tidball

R20 Panthers v Raiders Game Day Thread 2 years 5 months ago #22575

• Kevin
  • Panthers Hate Parra
  • Thank you received: 187
I was most disappointed with our "effort". I'm not talking about our forwards, I'm not talking about our backline moves etc, I'm talking about our effort.

There were a number of passes that hit the deck, more often than not when Smith was doing the Moylan chime in, it was way out of time, anyway, the effort I'm talking about is diving on the loose pill, that is a sure sign of a teams intent, we had nothing to offer in this regard.

If you look at any of the top sides, when the ball hits the ground, they have any number of blokes diving to take ownership of the ball, regardless of whether it's a knock on, we simply stared at it and in one instance, 3 blokes stared at it while a Canberra player came through to "pick it up" not dive on it, that's how much time he had.

Other than that, Blake needs some serious wing detail, if he's going to play there, someone should teach him the basic principal of marking up, he was out of position 2 or 3 times that resulted in tries and if he was simply marking his opposite, he could have stopped these tries.

Anyway, he's not the reason we lost, although his "misses" didn't help, our overall commitment left alot to be desired.

R20 Panthers v Raiders Game Day Thread 2 years 5 months ago #22576

• Pomoz
"I don't know if Soward is carrying an injury". Shazza did you miss what happened in the middle of the year? Soward had back surgery. He couldn't train. He could barely walk. I'm surprised he is still playing and it speaks volumes of his commitment to the team that he is out there putting in. He looked a bit fitter yesterday, but he is so far off his usual physical condition it isn't funny. Segyaro is also not fit yet, (he looked better for last weeks run) and he was visibly limping at times. I would suggest he has been rushed back early to help out. Cartwright doesn't look fully fit either.

I agree Wallace is making plenty of tackles and that doesn't help your attack. HIs tackling and kick chase does help our enthusiasm levels though and that's a plus.

As for Blake, he at least takes the ball up and doesn't mind getting belted. He has plenty of ticker and you can't coach that. He took 7 hit ups yesterday, double that of the other backs. Tough up the guts runs like a prop too, no running into gaps created by the forwards. A few more kgs on that great big frame of his and he will be a beast, he already draws in three players every time he gets the ball.

I was disappointed with Peachy yesterday. I'll be honest and say I have never really rated him. He has brain explosions on a regular basis and runs for himself. Sometimes he gets through, more often he runs 20m sideways. Yesterday he run 13 times and averaged 6m a run, illustrating my point about sideways movement. I hope he isn't using a large chunk of our salary cap because I don't think we get much value there at the moment.

With Sika only getting 24 mins (injured?) and Plummy 33 mins (carried off) we virtually played with 16 men. How good would it be if we could finish the game with all our players and none of them get injured or suspended? Who knows, we might even build some combinations and win a game!
Last Edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Pomoz.

R20 Panthers v Raiders Game Day Thread 2 years 5 months ago #22577

• Dufeyz
Have we fielded the same team two times in a row since round 2?

R20 Panthers v Raiders Game Day Thread 2 years 5 months ago #22579

• Puss
.... benos, I wish the transition of form/ability/potential from under 20's to firsts was as seamless as you suggest, but alas history suggests otherwise.We must resist the temptation of building unreasonable expectations of these young men. Reserves has a way of separating the men from the boys and this progression is unlikely to change anytime soon. Let's rejoice when they arrive, no sooner.

R20 Panthers v Raiders Game Day Thread 2 years 5 months ago #22580

• Tylooper
  • Thank you received: 197
I think the joint is tired. The players, the coaches and the fans. The past 2 years have been tough and although the team did magnificently to reach the preliminary final last year, the injury upon injury has sucked the belief and enthusiasm out of everyone.
Sitting in the Westen Stand yesterday was like going to a funeral. It was almost like I expected what happen did happen. Yet, I walked out to my car and didn't have that annoyance of previous seasons. It was almost like I shrugged the shoulders and thought 'ohh well'.

I'm a little concerned about our style of play. In particular, the continual need to play laterally all the time. We've lost the art of running flat out up the middle and getting Chicko and Sowie to play off the back of it. Look at the Broncos and Roosters, bang it up the middle and then go wide. It works for them.

Anyway, a season that promised so much has turned into one of unfortunate circumstance. Surely we cannot be this unlucky in 2016!
I will say to anyone that wants to bag Blake or Yeo, these are kids and whilst they are probably not first graders yet, they will eventually be. We are too quick to judge youngsters these days and it's unfair on them. A coupe of examples are Ben Hunt and Steve Smith. Different sports but both of these guys took 3-4 years to realise that they belonged in the big league and look at them now. I predict the same result for some of our youngsters.
Last Edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Tylooper.
The following user(s) said Thank You   mutley, Pomoz

R20 Panthers v Raiders Game Day Thread 2 years 5 months ago #22581

• Panther Jack
  • It's bad luck i swear.
  • Thank you received: 108
Puss wrote:
.... benos, I wish the transition of form/ability/potential from under 20's to firsts was as seamless as you suggest, but alas history suggests otherwise.We must resist the temptation of building unreasonable expectations of these young men. Reserves has a way of separating the men from the boys and this progression is unlikely to change anytime soon. Let's rejoice when they arrive, no sooner.

Well said.I will be the first to admit that sometimes i can get easily sucked into the hype.A few years ago i was touting Vaipuna Tia Kilifi as the next big thing, like 90% of the fanbase.

Some will make it through reserve grade and continue their goal of realising their potential, other's careers will ultimately collapse.I don't even know where Harry Siejka is nor if he is still even playing.
Tylooper wrote:
Anyway, a season that promised so much has turned into one of unfortunate circumstance. Surely we cannot be this unlucky in 2016!

This is a carbon copy post from last year, and the year before that, and the year before that.Only difference being the year.

I said it after the Bulldogs game, all of the events have effectively made the team, fans and basically anyone associated with the club just give up on this year.We've been winded, it's like we've been hit in the stomach over and over by Thor's hammer.

We're on our knees, we are all at the mercy of the cut off point between the regular season and the finals.We're essentially lifeless.The majority of us are just begging for it to be over with.Bring on next season.

But what a lot of us seem to not understand is that we're in a state that only Bill Murray would understand.The real life groundhog day.The only difference here is that we're not the old comedic ghostbuster, none of us are.We're the citizens that wake up over and over without a single thought that we have already witnessed the transpiring events the previous day.

On the 7th-14th of March, 2016, we will start the new season with the previous events at the back of our minds, with all of us focused on the top quality [insert new stadium name here] field in Penrith on a beautiful sunny day.Then BAM.That alarm clock just ticked onto 6:00 AM and that stupid song is playing again.Oh ****, not again...

Oh, you better believe it sister.Now get your ass down to the festival and let's start this whole thing all over again.
Last Edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Panther Jack.
  • Page: