Switch to desktop Register Login

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: R7 Roosters v Panthers - Game Day Thread

R7 Roosters v Panthers - Game Day Thread 2 years 4 days ago #24059

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 149
Just the two games tonight to round out a mixed week of football.

The Holden Cup team will be looking to maintain their spot at the top of the table as they battle against the the second placed Roosters, both teams winning 5 of their first 6 games.

The NRL Team have a chance this week to make a statement against a Roosters side who are struggling to find a win. A big win tonight (win by 28+ points) will see the Panthers stake a spot in the top 8 for the first time this season.

Going to the Game: Gates at Allianz open at 4:30pm
Where to Watch: Fox Sports Channel 501 live coverage starts at 6:30PM. There is no coverage of the Holden Cup.
Where to Listen: Radio broadcast will be available on ABC Grandstand 702AM and Triple M 104.9FM

Todays Matches:
Telstra Premiership: Sydney Roosters v Penrith Panthers @ Allianz Stadium - 7:00 MON 18/04/2016 [PEN 20-16]
Holden Cup: Sydney Roosters v Penrith Panthers @ Allianz Stadium - 4:45pm MON 18/04/2016 [PEN 50-4]
Last Edit: 2 years 4 days ago by Steve Tidball.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

R7 Roosters v Panthers - Game Day Thread 2 years 4 days ago #24061

would like to see us win by 28 but think this could be a difficult game with Roosters reverting back to how they play and also getting the run of penalties against us.

Interestingly Broncos and Cowboys (who we almost beat) both had huge wins on the weekend showing solid defensive efforts which makes our efforts against them even more remarkable.

Raiders were lapped, Dogs were beaten and with Eels and Dragons scoring wins.

We are surely close to breaking out and would like to see us win by 28 tonight

Note i heard on the weekend when Segeyaro returns Soward will be dropped and Wallace going to Half

This was told to me by someone close to the club but to be honest i cannot see Wallace being moved unless he is either unfit or his form turns down.

I think he has been a revelation at Hooker. although a lot might depend on how we go and Soward goes tonight

Go The Panthers

R7 Roosters v Panthers - Game Day Thread 2 years 4 days ago #24062

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
Other games already concluded this round.

Intrust Super Premiership NSW
Wyong Roos 28 (C Centrone, D Reardon, C Taylor, J Ingram, P Afu. T Cornish 4G) def.
Penrith Panthers 6 (C Harawira-Naera. J Hall 1G)

Harold Matthews Finals
Penrith Panthers 30 (S Blore 2, Z Cini, M Faauila, T Piukana, M Trindell. D White 3G) def.
Canberra Raiders 6 (H Smith-Shields. K Jensen 1G)

SG Ball Finals
Illawarra Cutters 26 (T Sailor 2, S Masters, J Gillard, K Tautaiolefua. Z Lomax 3G) def.
Penrith Panthers 22 (M Ritchie, B Too, I Thompson, W Burns. S O'Sullivan 3G)

Harold Hatthews and SG Ball Squads move on to Week 2 of the finals with both squads facing the Cronulla Sharks.
Last Edit: 2 years 4 days ago by Steve Tidball.

R7 Roosters v Panthers - Game Day Thread 2 years 4 days ago #24063

• Johnston
  • Thank you received: 5
Anybody heading to the game tonight?

R7 Roosters v Panthers - Game Day Thread 2 years 4 days ago #24065

• richo
  • Thank you received: 115
Johnston wrote:

Thought about it, but couldn't bear the drive home if we were to sustain another narrow loss. No fair weather fan I'm afraid and going to watch from the comfort of the lounge room. No confidence going into this one, both sides obviously desperate for the two points, I just can't help feeling well find a way to lose this one, probably narrowly, but just cannot see our attack scoring enough points.

R7 Roosters v Panthers - Game Day Thread 2 years 4 days ago #24066

• mutley
  • Thank you received: 223
Holden Cup:

Panthers 50
Roosters 4

First grade team news:

Late starting, McKendry to the bench
Latimore & Taylor dropped off the bench, both played NSW Cup yesterday

R7 Roosters v Panthers - Game Day Thread 2 years 4 days ago #24067

• richo
Roosters are down on troops and struggling to find form but they are at home and I don't think for one minute this is a gimme two points.

The weather is going to be a factor too by the sounds of it, was pouring rain during Holden Cup apparently. Don't know how a rain effected surface will impact on our chances?
The following user(s) said Thank You   mutley

R7 Roosters v Panthers - Game Day Thread 2 years 4 days ago #24068

• TalentScout
  • Thank you received: 82
richo wrote:
Johnston wrote:

Thought about it, but couldn't bear the drive home if we were to sustain another narrow loss. No fair weather fan I'm afraid and going to watch from the comfort of the lounge room. No confidence going into this one, both sides obviously desperate for the two points, I just can't help feeling well find a way to lose this one, probably narrowly, but just cannot see our attack scoring enough points.

Took me 2hrs to get home from Botany today.
Cooking marinated beef and chicken skewers on the barbie, trying maple Jim beam (not bad) and listening to birds of Tokyo.
Looking forward to (hopefully) a performance..

R7 Roosters v Panthers - Game Day Thread 2 years 4 days ago #24069

• mutley
The biggest danger in this competition is thinking that any game is easy. As soon as you think that you lose

R7 Roosters v Panthers - Game Day Thread 2 years 4 days ago #24070

• richo
TalentScout wrote:
richo wrote:
Johnston wrote:

Cooking marinated beef and chicken skewers on the barbie, trying maple Jim beam (not bad) and listening to birds of Tokyo.

SFS only 30 minutes in peak hour from Botany? Driving home from SFS at 9pm only a little over an hour? Could have enjoyed the outstanding culinary delights at the SFS and been one of the 3 or 4 thousand hearty fans who will brave the elements.

Re:R7 Roosters v Panthers - Game Day Thread 2 years 4 days ago #24071

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
Latimore is warming up with the team, 18th man?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re:R7 Roosters v Panthers - Game Day Thread 2 years 4 days ago #24072

• mutley
Maybe, but he did play yesterday in NSW Cup

R7 Roosters v Panthers - Game Day Thread 2 years 4 days ago #24073

• TalentScout
  • Thank you received: 82
richo wrote:
TalentScout wrote:
richo wrote:
Johnston wrote:

SFS only 30 minutes in peak hour from Botany? Driving home from SFS at 9pm only a little over an hour? Could have enjoyed the outstanding culinary delights at the SFS and been one of the 3 or 4 thousand hearty fans who will brave the elements.

I think there was a stack in the tunnel, because the traffic I passed on the way in was terrible, so I came home via Anzac bridge.. M4 was backed up at start, also through five dock..

Food at SFS?? Haha i like your sense of humour richo.. :cheer:
Last Edit: 2 years 4 days ago by TalentScout.

R7 Roosters v Panthers - Game Day Thread 2 years 4 days ago #24074

• richo
Two points. Nothing more to be said really. We got the job done in the last ten minutes on the back of Sowards kicking game. Should have put them to bed way before but didn't. Anyway two points is all that matters I suppose.
The following user(s) said Thank You   Puss, mr walker

R7 Roosters v Panthers - Game Day Thread 2 years 4 days ago #24075

• Panther Jack
  • It's bad luck i swear.
  • Thank you received: 108
A lot of top performances in that team.

- The right side was brilliant.

- Soward turned it on in the second half.

- Matagi with the Latu-like try assist to Te Maire, who also had a brilliant game.

- Blake's try shows how good he can be, and shows how great our attack is when it clicks.

- Our forwards, RCG especially, simply put are workhorses.

Also, who would have foreseen it happening.Another awful potentially game costing call against us.There is absolutely no freaking way that Peachey's pass was a forward pass."But it was an illusion that fooled the touchie!", hahaha what a load of garbage.If anyone seriously gets fooled by that then they shouldn't be employed anywhere, let alone as a referee.That's almost as funny as how some people try to persist with the thought that there's a huge rainbow in the sky and that every team gets the same amount of wrong decisions against them.This refereeing mess that has constantly screwed us over has transcended from being absolutely ridiculous and unfair(robbery, what ever) to being a legitimate comical affair where we get stuffed over by the officials over and over again.There's absolutely no end in sight, this will keep happening until something is done about it.

Anyway, isn't this like the third potentially game costing decision we've suffered thus far this season alone?I'm not even going into how the officiating of the rucks differs from us and our opponent which always goes against us, which has occured in all of our games this year, tonight's game especially.

But i'll just shut up now, standing up for ourselves is outright sooking.We should be applauding the officials for making matches so much more difficult for us.

R7 Roosters v Panthers - Game Day Thread 2 years 4 days ago #24076

• Dufeyz
  • Thank you received: 44
Gonna ignore the referees performance and focus on the boys. Matt Moylan, wow. He's a couple of classes above everyone out there. The other day Josh Dugan had a similiar impact. He was a bit of a standout, while everyone else was struggling. Moylan just keeps getting better. What he does without the ball now is phenomenal. We defends in the line, makes crucial tackles, and is just so smart.

I havent even started on his attacking game which is obviously awesome.

Im so happy that he's captain. No wonder Griffin picked him, hes leading the team with his actions on the field.

R7 Roosters v Panthers - Game Day Thread 2 years 4 days ago #24077

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
A quick summary of tonight's action;

Telstra Premiership
Penrith Panthers 20 (Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, Te Marie Martin, Waqa Blake. Jamie Soward 4G) def.
Sydney Roosters 16 (Latrell Mitchell 2, Blake Ferguson. Jackson Hastings 2G)

Holden Cup
Penrith Panthers 50 (Dylan Edwards 2, Ratu Tuisese 2, Tyrone May 2, Wayde Egan, Cowen Epere, Braiden Burns. Nathan Cleary 7G) def.
Sydney Roosters 4 (Bernard Lewis.)

R7 Roosters v Panthers - Game Day Thread 2 years 4 days ago #24078

great to see the boys get it done albeit again making us nervous in how we close out games but well done boys.

I didn't see the game and listened through radio and will not comment on individuals performance however there were 3 interviews i listened to after full time.

Lati.......this guy had his first radio interview as won MOM from MMM and he was a gentle personable guy who did the club proud in his first ever radio interview........and i noted he was at pains to say the team has to improve and there is improvement in the team

Moylan........commented on how he was improving and not only he but the team had plenty of improvement to do and it was in them to do

Wallace.....he commented on the game but he also spoke about getting rid of mistakes, and as a team making further improvements

I am thrilled to get the 2 points but i am more excited by a team all being on the same page saying they have to improve and they know there is improvement

This is the best thing i have heard for years from our team........NOT excuses but expectation they have greater improvement and that is scary because right now we are winning and losing ugly but we have not been lapped by any team and have beaten Brisbane and Parra who have brilliant defensive records......gone close against Raiders,Dragons and Cowboys and tonight beat a team who were playing circus football which is always hard to contain or defend against as there is no structure.

Well done boys and again we get through a game with no injuries and should field the same 13 against Sharks next weekend.

Every game is a test in this comp but the Sharks might just see how good our forwards are because this is one team who really plays hard and tough in the forwards.......which gives their backs room to execute.

I think our forwards are up to it.

Well done boys and a final note.......well done Soward on keeping the ball on the ground rolling it in goal.....do you read this forum?

LOL

now onto the next game for the mighty Panthers.
The following user(s) said Thank You   Pomoz

R7 Roosters v Panthers - Game Day Thread 2 years 4 days ago #24079

• Tylooper
  • Thank you received: 197
I am glad the SFS isn't our home ground. $25 to park your car and sit in a line for an hour to get out of it.

Whilst it wasn't a polished performance (how could it be on a night like that), we were always one step ahead of the opposition. Jamie controlled the game beautifully with his kicking, whilst Latu and friends did a great job getting over the advantage line.

There is a very good football team building at Penrith and if we can stay in or around the 8, I can see a serious run happening towards the back end. The blend of youth and experience is working and the boys are playing for 80 minutes and for each other.

An added bonus to the night was the performance of the NYC team. Winning by 46 points just shows how much class is in this club.

Get to Cronulla this Sunday....but get there early. It may be $25 to park at the SFS but there is bugger all parking at Cronulla.
The following user(s) said Thank You   Puss

R7 Roosters v Panthers - Game Day Thread 2 years 4 days ago #24080

• shazza
  • Thank you received: 174
It wasn’t much of a game but considering the luck (lack of?) we’ve been having in close finishes this season, and the conditions the match was played in, it was a tremendous and much deserved 20-16 result.

Again it was a result built on the back of good forwards going forward although our lack of urgency in ruck defense was something that needs to be addressed. The young Easts’ ball runners were able to make far too much ground, coming off their line, invariable making 40 metres (and more) from their mandatory 5 carries.

It was worth the admission price alone just to see Waqa Blake finally cut loose and show what he’s capable of, his try off a beautifully executed offload from Yeo, left scorch marks on some pretty agile opponents and put selectors on notice that he has no intention of being the one to make way for the returning Dean Whare.

Bryce Cartwright put in an outstanding performance in defence. The Roosters were all over him whenever he had the ball in hand but this extra attention gave our other forwards a chance for some ball playing of their own. Yeo’s offload to send Blake on his way to the tryline was a piece of slight-of-hand straight out of the Bryce Cartwright play book and Suaia Mataigi’s beautifully timed and weighted pass to send Martin over was just as familiar and equally deft.

Jamie Soward had a terrific game in attack and defence. His kicking in the wet slippery conditions was mostly spot on and his defence, despite being found out on the odd occasion, was brave and mostly rock solid. Young Te Maire Martin again tackled himself to a standstill and showed plenty of threat in attack from limited opportunities.

If Isiah Yeo didn’t win MoM for his outstanding effort in both attack and defence then he ran a very close second to Josh Mansour. Sauce put in another monster effort. His safety under the high ball, his ability to make ground under extreme pressure and his willingness to cart the ball into the defence at every opportunity, had “pick me for State of Origin” written all over it.

I was disappointed to see Latimore missing from the lineup. I assume it’s part of the rotation system and not something more serious. His rock-solid defence was missed in the middle of the ruck although, to be fair, Matagigi didn’t take a backward step in the time he was on the field. Leilani Latu grows in statue with every game and Merrin, back to full fitness, left nothing in the tank.

All in all it wasn’t a great win against top shelf opposition but it was a hell of a lot better than some of the “great losses” we’ve experienced in the first ½ dozen rounds.

shazza
Last Edit: 2 years 3 days ago by shazza. Reason: typo correction
The following user(s) said Thank You   Pomoz

R7 Roosters v Panthers - Game Day Thread 2 years 2 days ago #24086

shazza wrote:
It wasn’t much of a game but considering the luck (lack of?) we’ve been having in close finishes this season, and the conditions the match was played in, it was a tremendous and much deserved 20-16 result.

Again it was a result built on the back of good forwards going forward although our lack of urgency in ruck defense was something that needs to be addressed. The young Easts’ ball runners were able to make far too much ground, coming off their line, invariable making 40 metres (and more) from their mandatory 5 carries.

It was worth the admission price alone just to see Waqa Blake finally cut loose and show what he’s capable of, his try off a beautifully executed offload from Yeo, left scorch marks on some pretty agile opponents and put selectors on notice that he has no intention of being the one to make way for the returning Dean Whare.

Bryce Cartwright put in an outstanding performance in defence. The Roosters were all over him whenever he had the ball in hand but this extra attention gave our other forwards a chance for some ball playing of their own. Yeo’s offload to send Blake on his way to the tryline was a piece of slight-of-hand straight out of the Bryce Cartwright play book and Suaia Mataigi’s beautifully timed and weighted pass to send Martin over was just as familiar and equally deft.

Jamie Soward had a terrific game in attack and defence. His kicking in the wet slippery conditions was mostly spot on and his defence, despite being found out on the odd occasion, was brave and mostly rock solid. Young Te Maire Martin again tackled himself to a standstill and showed plenty of threat in attack from limited opportunities.

If Isiah Yeo didn’t win MoM for his outstanding effort in both attack and defence then he ran a very close second to Josh Mansour. Sauce put in another monster effort. His safety under the high ball, his ability to make ground under extreme pressure and his willingness to cart the ball into the defence at every opportunity, had “pick me for State of Origin” written all over it.

I was disappointed to see Latimore missing from the lineup. I assume it’s part of the rotation system and not something more serious. His rock-solid defence was missed in the middle of the ruck although, to be fair, Matagigi didn’t take a backward step in the time he was on the field. Leilani Latu grows in statue with every game and Merrin, back to full fitness, left nothing in the tank.

All in all it wasn’t a great win against top shelf opposition but it was a hell of a lot better than some of the “great losses” we’ve experienced in the first ½ dozen rounds.

shazza

Shazza, you have plenty of bland observations, cliches and restatements of the obvious to easily qualify you for a job at the Daily Tele.

However, to really get noticed you should be posting your monologues on forums with higher rates of traffic.
The following user(s) said Thank You   Ross

R7 Roosters v Panthers - Game Day Thread 2 years 2 days ago #24088

• richo
shazza wrote:

shazza

Great summary as usual Shazza.