Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: R8 Sharks v Panthers - Game Day Thread

R8 Sharks v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 8 months ago #24100

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 146
This is the place.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

R8 Sharks v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 8 months ago #24102

• mutley
  • Thank you received: 205
We have already beaten the Sharks twice so far this weekend:

Harold Matthew Cup :
Panthers 20
Sharks 10

SG Ball:
Panthers 32
Sharks 6

Let's see if we can make it 4/4 for the weekend

R8 Sharks v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 8 months ago #24103

• mutley
Holden Cup halftime:

Sharks 14
Panthers 10 (Burns, Tuisese tries; Cleary goal)

We have lost Wayde Egan & Reed Izzard to injury, and have missed a few chances.

UPDATE: Izzard has passed concussion test & will play on. Egan left arm injury.
Last Edit: 1 year 8 months ago by mutley.

R8 Sharks v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 8 months ago #24104

• mutley
First grade news:

McKendry (suspended) & Taylor drop off our 6 man bench.

R8 Sharks v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 8 months ago #24105

• mutley
Holden Cup:

Edwards try, converted by Cleary

Panthers 16-14, 67 mins

R8 Sharks v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 8 months ago #24106

• mutley
Tuisese gets his second, converted by Cleary

Panthers 20-14, 74 mins

R8 Sharks v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 8 months ago #24107

• mutley
Edwards gets his second to seal a Panthers victory, Cleary misses the conversion

Panthers 24-14, 78 mins

R8 Sharks v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 8 months ago #24108

• mutley
Holden Cup:

Panthers 24 (Tuisese 2, Edwards 2, Burns tries; Cleary 2 goals)
Sharks 14

3/3 so far, let's see if we can get a perfect weekend against the Sharks

R8 Sharks v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 8 months ago #24109

here comes all of the expert "im happy with that loss" garbage again.....

R8 Sharks v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 8 months ago #24110

• Tylooper
  • Thank you received: 197
We will beat these pretenders by 20 the next time we play them. We scored 4 tries to 3 and were down to 15 players before halftime. There is a team and a half building at Penrith. I am very confident we will get on a run and make the top 4.
The following user(s) said Thank You   mutley

R8 Sharks v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 8 months ago #24111

Rather ironic the two players we lost to injury today were possible the two 'unlucky' players who may have had to make way for Whare and Segeyaro's return.

Was great to see JFH cut loose and causing some mayhem down the right edge! I also thought Yeo played well again when forced into the centres. We are blessed with some versitile players in our midst!

R8 Sharks v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 8 months ago #24112

• Tylooper
  • Thank you received: 197
Yeo has developed nicely into a first grade footballer. I think that even he will admit that he has taken time to find his feet but from the last few games of 2015, he has been a major component of this team. In 2-3 years time, he will be one of the best backrowers in the game.

JFH showed today what Gus has been raving about. He ran today like a first grade footballer. Big, strong and rawboned, he is going to be a sensational player.

If you look at our side today, with a bit of hope and good luck, the following guys will be in their prime over the course of the next 5 years - Moylan, Mansour, DWZ, Blake, Hiku, Martin, Merrin, RCG, Peachey, Latu, Cartwright, Yeo, JFH.....not bad if you ask me.

R8 Sharks v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 8 months ago #24113

• mutley
When we learn how to control the game in the attacking 20, we are going to start putting teams away.. All season we have had ample opportunities, but failed to convert them consistently. We could easily be 8/8 if we were that little bit better in converting those opportunities.

R8 Sharks v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 8 months ago #24114

after a night of reflection and with some trepidation in making the following comments, we cannot win or go deep in this competition with Soward in the team.

Most Shark breaks came his side in defence and his spectacular non effort on their last try was his biggest fail....there was no desperation and what was happening when he gave the goal attempt to Moylan??????? let alone his own kicks at goal which have been a pass at best and at this level you have to be better then that.

And notice how the Sharks half played, testing and taking the line on and made a few clean breaks with speed and putting our defence in 2 minds.

Soward cannot do this...his defence is horrible and now his goal kicking has deserted him.......its time to bring Cleary into the squad

More so now as we have to make some changes to accommodate Whare and a replacement for Martin.....we can now accommodate a "new" kid.

He resorted to these dumb bombs (again) and i have been calling for him to be dropped and i think now he HAS to be dropped.

On the teams effort.........this is another missed opportunity and we had this mob only to falter again and unable to close out a game when in front like the very good teams do.

FH was magnificent and now has secured his place in the top side and his backing up to score off Soward was memorable how he played the ball then scores int he same movement.

Our forwards held them and matched them,,,,,DTZ was quiet but Mansour was again excellent.

I feel for Martin who was taken late and with a shoulder in a cheap shot which will impact his season and Blake succumbed to injury just when he was coming into form.

I thought at every point we had them even when they led 8 nil........our resolve was great and no one can fault the effort but there is something missing and we are at a turning point because we face Raiders again who had a romp this weekend and will be hungry for more.

I believe like someone else said on here.......we have the making of a very very good NRL squad and I believe we can win this comp.............but ONLY if Soward is dropped for Cleary

we need the X factor at half...........Brisbane have Hunt and Milford.......Cowboys have Thurston

we NEED Cleary!

Just found this so i think its worth adding

The Penrith fullback admits he was surprised to take the shot, saying: "He asked me to take that one. I'm not too sure...I didn't really ask him why."

what is going on when the Captain is asked to take Sowards kick and the Captain doesn't know why Soward asked him to do so.

Soward definitely has to go on this alone!
Last Edit: 1 year 8 months ago by steamboatfarmer.

R8 Sharks v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 8 months ago #24115

• Pomoz
  • Thank you received: 204
steamboatfarmer wrote:
after a night of reflection and with some trepidation in making the following comments, we cannot win or go deep in this competition with Soward in the team.

Most Shark breaks came his side in defence and his spectacular non effort on their last try was his biggest fail....there was no desperation and what was happening when he gave the goal attempt to Moylan??????? let alone his own kicks at goal which have been a pass at best and at this level you have to be better then that.

And notice how the Sharks half played, testing and taking the line on and made a few clean breaks with speed and putting our defence in 2 minds.

Soward cannot do this...his defence is horrible and now his goal kicking has deserted him.......its time to bring Cleary into the squad

More so now as we have to make some changes to accommodate Whare and a replacement for Martin.....we can now accommodate a "new" kid.

He resorted to these dumb bombs (again) and i have been calling for him to be dropped and i think now he HAS to be dropped.

On the teams effort.........this is another missed opportunity and we had this mob only to falter again and unable to close out a game when in front like the very good teams do.

FH was magnificent and now has secured his place in the top side and his backing up to score off Soward was memorable how he played the ball then scores int he same movement.

Our forwards held them and matched them,,,,,DTZ was quiet but Mansour was again excellent.

I feel for Martin who was taken late and with a shoulder in a cheap shot which will impact his season and Blake succumbed to injury just when he was coming into form.

I thought at every point we had them even when they led 8 nil........our resolve was great and no one can fault the effort but there is something missing and we are at a turning point because we face Raiders again who had a romp this weekend and will be hungry for more.

I believe like someone else said on here.......we have the making of a very very good NRL squad and I believe we can win this comp.............but ONLY if Soward is dropped for Cleary

we need the X factor at half...........Brisbane have Hunt and Milford.......Cowboys have Thurston

we NEED Cleary!
Agree Soward should be dropped, but dropping a rookie half in may not be the answer. Not sure how big Cleary is, hard to tell from the TV, but we have just broken one young half, do we want another one damaged? Why not move Moylan, or Peachey and put Wallace back at half? Or Cartwright at 5/8th? Can we be any worse? His tackling has cost us two games - Dragons, Sharks. His kicking is sporadic at best. His kicking helps us get metres, but our forward pack is delivering plenty of go forward. Time to try something else.
Last Edit: 1 year 8 months ago by Pomoz.

R8 Sharks v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 8 months ago #24116

• Fez
  • Thank you received: 10
Really hoping Seggy comes back next week. Wallace was shocking at dummy half yesterday. Killed our attack so many times. Not to mention his "tackle" on Townsend.

R8 Sharks v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 8 months ago #24117

• bab
  • Thank you received: 14
There was point in the first half Wallace went the short side where Bryce would of had a 3 on 2 situation Dallin was in marked on the wing so he cuts back to the middle and snuffed out a certain try he is average at best

R8 Sharks v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 8 months ago #24118

• Pomoz
On a positive note, Merrin was immense yesterday. He showed why he is so highly rated. He did the tough stuff as well as take some easy metres running a bit wider. Cartwright had a much better defensive game and was his usual brilliant self in attack. If only Soward could spot gaps like he can. JFH was amazing, we may have another star in our midst. Latimore and Malaga were great off the bench and delivered nearly as many metres as the starting props. The Sharks struggled when Fifita went off and these two were rolling up the field well. A nod to Tyron Peachey who played brilliantly after being dropped the week before.182m is a great effort.

Our forward pack once again held its own against one of the best in the premiership. It is really down to us getting our halves sorted and we will have a team capable of winning the premiership.

R8 Sharks v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 8 months ago #24119

• mutley
I think the area Soward has struggled with is being the senior partner in the halves with a rookie. He has probably not had enough faith in Martin to get the job done, and has tried to control too much himself. If Segeyaro returns next week, Wallace should return to halfback, allowing Soward to play his more natural game, rather than be the chief organiser. If Segeyaro doesn't make it back, then maybe bring Smith in, or failing that Moylan might need to move into 5/8, with DWZ to fullback & possibly Yeo to centre with Blake or Whare (depending on fitness of both players) on the wing.

R8 Sharks v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 8 months ago #24120

Wallace cannot play half......he is even slower then Soward and his role is in the forwards if indeed he has a role anymore as well.

Lets call a spade a shovel........the careers of Wallace and Soward are at a close in 1st grade and we need to think about what we can get out of this season because before we know it ......the season will be over for us

On the halves......i would have gone for Cleary and Martin but Martin is now injured its time for Cleary to come in at half.

Then move Peachey to 5/8th as he has good hands, can tackle and can make line breaks.......will give us options either side of the ruck.

Whare will come in for Blake

I heard Soward would be dropped when Segeyaro came back.........we will see if that rumour was right

I did note Griffin's body movements appeared agitated in the video conference after the game when Moylan was asked to comment on why he kicked at goal?

I think this might have ruffled Griffin as well.

we will see but putting in an effort is NOT winning us games and getting the 2 points.........we need a half who has speed, and the skills to break the line and we need a kicker since there is not one in the side now

R8 Sharks v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 8 months ago #24121

you could be right but that doesn't offer an answer for Soward being a speed bump in defence........and worse still his goal kicking has deserted him (perhaps his only redeeming feature)
I wouldn't advocate wholesale changes as you have........its not panic stations but it is time to make the hard decisions.

R8 Sharks v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 8 months ago #24122

• Pomoz
SBF, I still think Wallace can do a job at dummy half and the Cowboys have shown the way. Wallace to start and then bring on Segeyaro after 20 minutes and tell him to pin his ears back Jake Granville style.

I agree time for tough decisions. Hiku or DWZ to fullback and let Moylan move to the halves. He must be given a few games so he can settle into it. During that time the question is who is the halfback? Wallace is an organiser so may be better suited than Soward who seems to have struggled at being the general and the sergeant major. TMM was really just left to shovel the ball out from time to time. I'm not sure Moylan is an organiser, so we need one player to do that job. Wallace could do that role and he does have a kicking game, not as good as Sowards but his defence is several levels above Sowards.

So just to summarise, Wallace at half, Molan at 5/8th, Segyaro at hooker. I would also bring forward a young half from NSW cup or NYC and put them on the bench and let them have a run at halfback for 15 minutes. You might say "but we lose a valuable interchange", but we have proven conclusively this year that we can last a match with an interchange missing. Yesterday we played the entire second half missing two players. As we also did against the Dogs and with one player missing against the Raiders. Against the Cowboys JFH only got 9 minutes. We can afford to carry a player to see what they are capable of.

R8 Sharks v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 8 months ago #24123

• shazza
  • Thank you received: 162
Once again we’ve managed to grasp a glorious, last minute, defeat from the jaws of a hard fought victory. Absolutely no complaints about the game or the outcome for that matter, but it would be nice for the players to have something more substantial than the paltry 6 competition points they have to show for the enormous effort they’ve put into season 2016 so far. The fact that we were able to run in 4 stunning tries against such a defensively strong home team is only surpassed by the fact that we were able to restrict one of the hottest attacking units in the NRL to just 3 tries.

Sadly, despite a tremendous tackling effort from the Panthers, the Sharks’ tries were a lot softer than Griffin would deem anything like acceptable and, no doubt, will be the subject of plenty of remedial work at training this week. Thankfully, it’s a lot easier to correct defensive lapses that are our fault than it is to counter brilliant attacking play from a skillful, creative, well-drilled opposition. The Cronulla tries yesterday were, pretty much, all down to us.

I’m disappointed with the loss, obviously, but our team put in such a wholehearted performance it would be a pretty mean spirited supporter who’d criticize a single player for our loss.

What a great back-row we have. I’m sure all the post-match hype will be all over Bryce Cartwright’s wonderful performance but the contribution of his second row partner Isiah Yeo cannot be overstated. He too had an outstanding game, in attack and defense, and had we won, would have been well in the running for MoM honours. With Trent Merrin, they form a consummate back three and with Fisher-Harris sniffing out 4 pointers like there’s no tomorrow, our forward stocks have never been stronger. Fisher Harris has put Griffin on notice that he expects a lot more game time in the weeks to come. Latimore celebrated his return to the top grade with one of his trademark all-round professional performances.

No-one wants to hear this but Tyrone Peachey could well be the player to make way for Sam McKendry. He occasionally looked dangerous with the ball in hand but he just doesn’t get the obvious advantage that can be gained by simply promoting the ball to a player better placed to take it forward. He needs the T-shirt LESS IS MORE.

The irony was not lost on me that Whare and Segeyaro are due back just as Waqa Blake and Te Maire Martin are forced out of the side through injury, thus saving the selectors a very difficult and potentially disruptive selection dilemma.

The hot and cold (but mostly hot) Raiders, coming off a landslide victory over the hapless Tigers, will be a formidable opponent next Saturday but if our performances (2 wins x 2 nail-biting losses) against the top 4 teams in the NRL is anything to go by, we should be approaching the game at chilly Carrington Park, Bathurst, with plenty of confidence.

shazza

R8 Sharks v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 8 months ago #24124

• Griggsy
  • Thank you received: 22
What an effort from the players. The boys played hard. The individual effort from every player was outstanding. I don't think any player could have tried any harder.

All these close loses can only come down to one person and that is the coach. Does Hook even practise the players in what to do in the opposition 20. Any game play or moves are thrown out the window once we get close to the line. They need to be that drilled that it comes naturally.

While I get it that the coach's job will not be not be on the line, it is only the players efforts that are keeping us in the game.

When are people going to realise that Hook failed with the Broncos and he will fail with the Panthers. The sooner he goes the better. Of course this will never happen because Gus will never admit he was in the wrong. Give Garth Brennan the job. He took most of these guys to grand final victories in the 20s. He will do it again.

R8 Sharks v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 8 months ago #24125

• richo
  • Thank you received: 111
You could probably dwell on a couple of missed one on one tackles which led to tries, a couple of missed shots at goal, the decision for part time kicker in Moylan to take one of them, allowing a soft early try to a serial pest but the biggest issue for mine was again our inability to convert field position and possession into points in the first half.

No complaint's about the effort, getting our noses in front blah blah blah we have been in a position to win every game in 2016 and while that's great it doesn't take away from the fact we should make more of our attacking opportunities inside our opponents 20 zone. We get there are more often than not are clueless? We surely need to offer more in term's set plays to threaten the defensive line. In the first half against the Sharks they dealt with us fairly comfortably as have other sides this season.

TMM ( who is now obviously out for an extended period) was not used often enough in attack in his half a dozen games. He should have been given far more ball than he has been particularly in attacking positions.

Segeyaro has to come back into the side and play the full 80 minutes. Yes Peter Wallace has done a commendable job but we need to spark ad threat that Segeyaro offers.

Given TMM out for a long time, how long yet to be determined, but we do not need non specialists to fill in at five eighth. No Bryce Cartwright, no Tyrone Peachy,. Simply go back to the Wallace/Soward combination and hope for the best.

Given the breakout game for JFH hopefully he now gets the game time he deserves and impact we need.

Lastly, any available funds for season 2017 and beyond should be used to bring another 6/7. My preference would be a young up and comer in the TMM mould but father time has caught up with our Jamie and Peter and we need to move on and forward. I'm not saying we don't keep Jamie Soward as a back up but we need depth in this position as young Cleary will still be a little way off being ready if he is indeed NRL standard.

Another great effort, but it was another loss and it ain't going to get any easier next week.
The following user(s) said Thank You   mutley, mr walker
  • Page: