Switch to desktop Register Login

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: R10 Panthers v Warriors - Game Day Thread

R10 Panthers v Warriors - Game Day Thread 1 year 8 months ago #24264

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 146
Hope you enjoyed your week off. The Panthers have their home game moved to Christchurch NZ this week as they take on the Warriors.

The NRL side are looking to make it 2 wins in a row against a New Zealand side still trying to find their feet this season. Hopefully the boy can pull off the biggest win of the season today.

The Holden Cup side are on fire, not having lost a game since Round 1. The Warriors, normally a strong U20 side has been struggling this year, sitting near the bottom of the table. Can the NYC Boy rack up another huge win?

The Panther NSW Cup Side are struggling this year only chalking up 3 wins this year and been on the end of some embarrassing losses. They will be out to change their fortunes against the Warriors who are sitting in third place on the ladder.

3 games today

Telstra Peremiership: Penrith Panthers v New Zealand Warriors @ AMI Stadium Christchurch (PEN 30 - NZL 18)
Holden Cup: Penrith Panthers v New Zealand Warriors @ Pepper Stadium Penrith (PEN 72 - NZL 10)
Intrust Super Premiership NSW: Penrith Panthers v New Zealand Warriors @ Pepper Stadium Penrith (NZL 32 - PEN 16)

Telstra Premiership Full Time
Penrith Panthers 30 (Peachy 3, Soward, Watene-Zelezniak. Soward 5/6 Goals) def.
New Zealand Warriors 18 (Kata, Wright, Ayshford, Johnson 3/3 Goals)

Holden Cup Full Time
Penrith Panthers 74 (Burns 5, Tuisese 2, Aekins, Hetherington, Ennis, Cleary, Ellis, Martin. Cleary 11/13 Goals) def.
New Zealand Warriors 10 (Clark, Esera. 1/2 Goals)

Intrust Super Premiership Full Time
New Zealand Warriors 32 (Nicoll-Klokstad, Sao, Sipley, Lino, Bell, Tyrell. Lino 5/6 Goals) def.
Penrith Panthers 16 (Hall, Watne-Zelezniak, Smith. Hall 2/3 Goals)
Last Edit: 1 year 8 months ago by Steve Tidball.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

R10 Panthers v Warriors - Game Day Thread 1 year 8 months ago #24267

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
The Holden Cup Panthers has delivered another superb 70+ point performance defeating the Warriors at Pepper Stadium.

Holden Cup Full Time

Penrith Panthers 74 (Burns 5, Tuisese 2, Aekins, Hetherington, Ennis, Cleary, Ellis, Martin. Cleary 11G) def.
New Zealand Warriors 10 (Clark, Esera. 1G)

HT: Panthers 36 lead. Warriors 10

26 Points scored by Nathan Cleary and 20 Points scored by Braiden Burns. Absolute beasts!

I imagine Warriors fans watching the game were thinking...

The following user(s) said Thank You   mutley

R10 Panthers v Warriors - Game Day Thread 1 year 8 months ago #24268

• mutley
  • Thank you received: 205
A few changes to the team announced on Tuesday:

1. Moylan
2. Mansour
12. Yeo
4. Hiku
5. Watene-Zelezniak
6. Soward
7. Wallace
8. McKendry
14. Peachey
10. Campbell-Gillard
11. Cartwright
17. Fisher-Harris
13. Merrin

9. Segeyaro
15. Latimore
16. Latu
20. Matagi

Our Holden Cup side have had another thumping 74-10 win over the Warriors

Our NSW Cup sure are currently 4-all against the Warriors after approx 20 mins

R10 Panthers v Warriors - Game Day Thread 1 year 8 months ago #24270

• mutley
NSW Cup halftime:

Warriors10-4

R10 Panthers v Warriors - Game Day Thread 1 year 8 months ago #24271

• mutley
NSW Cup full time:

Warriors 32
Panthers 16
The following user(s) said Thank You   Panther1967

R10 Panthers v Warriors - Game Day Thread 1 year 8 months ago #24272

• Panther1967
  • Thank you received: 142
A good all round,albeit at times a disjointed performance.We are learning to win now,and once we get those stupid penalties ,and some concentration lapses out of our game,the more easy these wins will come.

Also a great defensive effort in keeping the Warriors scoreless in the 2nd half.

And my replacement tip for next week is for Wallace to make way for Cleary.
Last Edit: 1 year 8 months ago by Panther1967.

R10 Panthers v Warriors - Game Day Thread 1 year 8 months ago #24273

• Panther Jack
  • It's bad luck i swear.
  • Thank you received: 108
Not the best performance, but literally the best result we've got this season thus far so we'll take it.

- Due to Parra's imminent strip of all of their points, we can say we sit at 6th at this moment in time.

- Seven more wins needed for finals footy.It's vital we make it six next week when we play Titans in Penrith(Finally we're back!).

- We did pretty well in the first half considering the wind advantage the Warriors had.We always looked in control in the 2nd half.

- Yeo's try saving tackle...amazing.

- Nothing like getting booed at a 'home game', eh?Hopefully the next home games we have in New Zealand aren't against the freaking New Zealand Warriors.This brings me to my next point.

- Despite the lack of bunker use, Matt Cecchin was pretty inept.How the **** did we only concede two penalties less than the Warriors?He seemed inclined to avoid penalising the Warriors at all costs because of them having 'home ground' advantage.So whilst they were wrestling more than being competent rugby league players and illegally hampering our style of play in the process, we only got two more penalties than them to show for it.Thanks NRL, we get the message now.Abiding by the rules is meaningless, let's all just wrestle instead.FFS, it almost felt like a Bulldogs/Melbourne game.

- Halligan makes my ears bleed.Please retire from commentating, mate.

- Peachey :woohoo:

- And to finish on a good note, how about Soward's last conversion? :ohmy:
Last Edit: 1 year 8 months ago by Panther Jack.

R10 Panthers v Warriors - Game Day Thread 1 year 8 months ago #24274

• Rabbit
  • Thank you received: 60
Everything Panther Jack just said and -;

For the first 55 minutes I thought the Kiwis were on top, at that point they had played so well the best that they have played all year, the balls were sticking and they were running hard, I actually think the wind in the first half helped them because when they threw it out wide the ball was curving to being in front of them and it was making them charge on to the ball, - our first two tries were gifts luckily - so at that 55 minute mark where I thought they probably would win --- I think the Kiwis also thought the same, at this point they went crazy with the ball movement and that's finally when the errors came. Unfortunately for us that's when Wallace became our one man error machine with penalties and drop balls

Gasnier mentioned that he didn't know what Tyrone Peachey best spot was?? - well 4 tried in two games for me means he is a centre. Waka Blake stuffed up his passport for the third time not learning from his mistakes, just like on the field. Tyrone to fill that centre position for the remainder of the season. (I know, I'm biased I think I am his number 1 supporter).

The coach for me is making All the Right Moves for our young team.
He also knows he can't play Wallace at 5/8, Wallace has no lateral movement which means he can't Evade charging Defenders coming off the line the Defenders also know this that is why they charge him!! which shuts down our attack. I think he has been alleviated of making a decision on Wallis because he has Segeyaro as a strike weapon and you need to keep that strike weapon fresh, which is what most teams do when they have a weapon for dummy half, they keep two hookers.
That being said the decision in keeping Wallis is becoming harder to justify when they have two Australian schoolboys that can easily slot in, or can be interchanged directly with Segeyaro, keeping them safe and also giving them a taste of first grade, they should give 30 minutes of game time to Zach Dockar-clay, Katoa, Cleary or May this would give them game time but not over Awe them. I like Tyrone May because he is a big kid and seems to be tradesman like (He reminds me a bit of Wade Graham)(He's smart) considering we have Australian schoolboy in our club and Wallace is at the end of his career I think the time is now to swap them out.
Every week we have one forward on the bench who gets underutilized (This week it was Latimore) we may as well put a young bloke in and fill that that low minute position. and take Wallis completely out and make him 18.

P.s Good on you Jamie that what we bought you for. In those conditions he made (one of the supposed best players in the game) look like an amateur.

R10 Panthers v Warriors - Game Day Thread 1 year 8 months ago #24276

• Puss
  • Thank you received: 259
..... if you take your time building something you end up with a better quality job.

We're building nicely to meet our deadline, finals footy! B)
Last Edit: 1 year 8 months ago by Puss.
The following user(s) said Thank You   Pomoz, Kevin

R10 Panthers v Warriors - Game Day Thread 1 year 8 months ago #24277

• Tylooper
  • Thank you received: 197
I'll describe the performance as tradesman like. The team did a great job to stay in the contest in the first half and from that point, we were only going to lose if we didn't play smart.

Merrin is providing the reasons why Gus was intent on signing him. He is a real forward leader. How good is JFH going to be in 2-3 years!? I like the ball playing that Latu has in his game. However, he can get caught up in it too much. Stick the ball under your arm son and run hard.

Peach....gun. Yeo....showing why he is held in high regard by the coaching staff.

Question or pub debate in 10 years time - will we be talking about the crop of local juniors coming through now as the best we have ever had? Better than the late 80's / early 90's or 2003!??

R10 Panthers v Warriors - Game Day Thread 1 year 8 months ago #24279

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
I was particularly impressed how much better the Panthers played to the conditions than the Warriors did.

Sowards kicking came was changed to suit the high winds, low kicks, long driving grubbers, and Soward, Wallace and even Moylan took advantage of that big gust when trying to get out of their half on the last. Alternatively Shaun Johnsons kicks were veering off course and in many cases landing out of play.

I heard after the game that the Panthers won the toss and chose to run into the wind the first half, this turned out to be a brilliant strategy, The Warriors said at half time said they were going to run their way out of trouble in the second half, and the Panthers wore them down and sealed the 12 point win.

I was happy with the effort, still a ways to go but definitely on the right track. Now to switch our focus back home at Penrith and this Sunday's clash with the Titans.

R10 Panthers v Warriors - Game Day Thread 1 year 8 months ago #24280

my sentiments are pretty similar to those who have already posted........we got the chocolates but really we did our best to lose another which we should have won easily.

The weather i.e. the wind played its hand in the game and we do have some major concerns in defence.

Cartwright had a fair game and made mistakes in defence but he was not alone

Wallace is NOT a 7 anymore.......he is a hooker and that is it......FULL STOP

we are screaming out for a 7 and i keep saying it but we need Cleary to have a go at 7.......this team will go deep into the finals but we cannot win with Wallace at 7 and Soward at 6.

As pointed out Yeoh is remarkable and forced the first try with massive defence and can play in the forwards or centres but this versatility comes at some cost because he is makeshift in these roles and we need someone who can hold these roles permanently.

Fisher Harris and Latu continue to impress

I have full confidence in our forwards despite their dumb mistakes but we are matching every team in the forwards.......where we are getting exposed is on the edges when the opposition target Soward and either centre.

I think for the game against Titans i would drop Wallace..........let Segy start at hooker and start Cleary at 7

We need some potency in attack and options from half......and Cleary can kick for goal if Soward is hurt.

One thing i noticed in the game was our players showing signs of frustration at each other.

This can be viewed as either good and bad.

Bad in that there is friction and players are now targeting team mates who they believe are letting us down or

Good.....players are getting angry at the dumb mistakes we are making because they know we are better then what we are showing

Its Round 10 and we have won 5 from 10........with some better game management and less dumb penalties we could be 10 from 10.

That said and looking into my crystal ball i see us finishing on 34 points.

That is wining 10 of the next 14 games plus the 2 byes

If we improve we could win 12 of the 14 and finish on 38

That said...........at the moment teams like Storm, Broncos and Cowboys have better discipline, better defence and greater firepower in attack then us.

Its clear to me we need to fix our defence and improve our attack to go really deep into the finals

I feel we are heading in the right direction but the 7 position is key.

Yesterday was a win and i will take it but there is plenty to fix

Well done boys......i loved the frustration.......now use it to fix what is wrong!
The following user(s) said Thank You   Pomoz

R10 Panthers v Warriors - Game Day Thread 1 year 8 months ago #24287

• shazza
  • Thank you received: 162
"We need to fix our defence and improve our attack". Brilliant!

The fact that we have the smallest differential of any team in the 110 year history of Rugby League, suggests to me that our defence is as good as any outfit in the NRL. The odd lapse of concentration has resulted in a few tries being let in but our online defence, this year, has been absolutely outstanding. As for our attack, there's always room for improvement but the fact that we've scored almost as many tries as we've conceded, and that commentators are pretty much unanimous in their appraisal of us as an exciting attacking unit, suggests fine tuning is pretty much all that is required. Like most fans, I'd like to see a lot more creativity from set plays inside the opposition's red zone, but there is absolutely no doubt that we have potentially one of the most lethal backlines in the competition. Our centre pairing is a long way from being a done deal but suffice to say, we desperately need the cool head and rock hard defence of Dean Whare back on the field.

Just out of curiosity, if we give Peter Wallace the bullet, who do you suggest will make up the 35+ tackle shortfall.

shazza
Last Edit: 1 year 8 months ago by shazza. Reason: additional info
The following user(s) said Thank You   Steve Tidball

R10 Panthers v Warriors - Game Day Thread 1 year 8 months ago #24288

• Dufeyz
  • Thank you received: 44
shazza wrote:
"

Just out of curiosity, if we give Peter Wallace the bullet, who do you suggest will make up the 35+ tackle shortfall.

shazza

This. Now that ET is gone, we dont have any tackling machines left. This is what Wallace does. When you consider the playmaking abilities of Carty, Sowie, Moylan and even Segs, its no wonder Wallace almost goes missing at 7. Really all he need to do is make tackles, and kick.

R10 Panthers v Warriors - Game Day Thread 1 year 8 months ago #24289

• Puss
...... Taylor's gone and it's up to the rest of TEAM to pick up the slack. If one blokes making 50+ tackles a match, someone's not working hard enough. Now me, mutley and Kev are good for a hundred flops each, but only after a number of schooners. :P

R10 Panthers v Warriors - Game Day Thread 1 year 8 months ago #24290

i would love your rose coloured glasses and my comments on fix our defence and improve our attack i thought was self evident

but to back up my point

Broncos have 276 for and 117 against

Panthers have 198 for and 197 against

This shows we are deficient in attack and in defence compared to the Broncos........we have allowed 80 more points scored against us then the Broncos!

Cowboys have 279 for and 140 against.

I think these highlight my point........we need to fix the defence and attack for this team to go deep into the finals

On Wallace........i for one was calling for him to be at Hooker (if you recall) and he was subsequently put in there when Seg was injured.

Are you suggesting Wallace is the best 7 we have at the club or are you suggesting he is the best forward we have at the club?

And you ask another self evident question who will do the 35 plus tackles?

Thats why its a team game.

I would think from the above stats our concerns run as deep as i suggest.......we are poor in defence and we are not flowing in attack

Granted we have not had an easy team yet such as Knights who make your numbers look great but last night Titans belted a better Roosters team then we played and we only just got the Roosters.

The Titans last night were good.......not great but good and to magnify my point on defence and attack

Titans have 196 for and 217 against.

But they are improving and they have a half combination which is improving

What half combination do we have which puts questions to the defence?????

Personally i would drop Soward and elevate Cleary but would like to see how Cleary goes with an old head outside him.

I rate Wallace at Hooker.......not at 7.

Its the 7 which is our major concern IMO

R10 Panthers v Warriors - Game Day Thread 1 year 8 months ago #24291

• Puss
.... hi steamy, not sure for and against is valid in a competition that doesn't cater for a full home and away program. What team would not aspire to improving their attack and defence? We're travelling pretty well and IMO probably don't need to change too much. Probably need to concentrate on what we've got, rather than what we might/could have.

R10 Panthers v Warriors - Game Day Thread 1 year 7 months ago #24308

• Rabbit
  • Thank you received: 60
I have a different take on defence in the rugby league world -; since it broke away from rugby union there has been so many rule changes and from what I have seen most have been made to benefit the attack, from my perspective a great attacking player is worth about 4 great Defenders a confirmation of this is played out in player payments and also fantasy points and forums like this where we talk about attacking players way more than Defenders.
There is a reason someone like Thurston who is the most valuable in the league is not a very good tackler, he can make a tackle but that is about it!! if a player like Thurston attempted to go out and also make 40 tackles the coach would pull him aside and say what are you doing, save your energy for your attack.
## Other reason Attack rules is if you have a team choc full of great defenders but they only defend - there some things you can't defend against. For example if a fullback or winger drops a bomb. You can't defend against errors, poor discipline, intercepts, chip over the tops, and brain explosions. (Johnson last week)
Now if your team is full of defenders it's nearly impossible to get that try back. If your team is full of defenders you will never win a premiership.
## Another reason attack rules in our sport is, Our sport is set up to give the ball 50/50 to each team. While your scoring -- That's a time that you're not being scored against. One example is the Roosters, they have lost attacking Flair and now I have had heaps of points scored against them - and the players they have lost were not Defenders they were attackers but their defensive stats have gone down the toilet. Because while they're not scoring they getting scored against.
## I always look at attacking options, Option A, Soward is a better option than B, Wallace because he can kick the team into an attacking position and also keep oppositions from attacking us.
## In reference to that type of ideology I would even classify Mc Kendry, Mansour and DWC as an attacking option because They all get fast play the balls on the early tackles. Setting up the whole set of six and finally the attacking raid at the end of the six.
## Defences can also be improved buy - defensive combinations - enthusiasm and technique. In contrast you can't make Johnson Hayne or Milford. Their talents are God given, you can't create it, but you'll probably have to pay for it if you want to keep it or acquire it.
P.s A final comment on my comments on Wallis I wouldn't (Wouldn't) be dropping him at this point either if I was an administrator, who would want to answer all those awkward questions about dropping a Marquee player, especially just before Origin, when we are going to need quality replacements, There probably going to blood guys like Cleary out of necessity. My advice to Wallace would be "don't get injured after the origin period".
## One other thing I have noticed about our defence, coincidentally sharing similarities to the Broncos defence both coached by Griffin. The similarities I have seen is there hitting more with their shoulders and they're not catching the ball Runner to wrestle. We are definitely not wrestling like the other teams, before wrestling come into the game I think this would of really hurt us (Bouncing of tacklers), but currently teams are being coached out of second phase play, so when they check a runner and knock him back or spin him, he doesn't go off to link with another player, the player checked just goes forward again and takes the tackle - - essentially making a hit up last longer which is what wrestling was bought in to do.
Essentially while runners are acting like automatons you can actually miss tackles and be assured that the player missed will not go off and create an attacking opportunity. As long as there is good contact in the tackle it is probably is not going to come back to bite you if you miss. In contrast to tackles missed down the middle, tackles missed out wide in the centres generally lead to points which is unfortunate for us because we have Wallace, Soward, Hiku and Cartwright which are our only players that slide off defended without really checking them. There all posted together out in the centers. Wallis and Cartwright are pretty good Defenders generally but come up with the odd Miss butt because there standing out wide it leads to tries. I noticed Soward doesn't standout in the centres on the line since the Sharks game, he obviously learnt his lesson from that game.
The following user(s) said Thank You   Pomoz

R10 Panthers v Warriors - Game Day Thread 1 year 7 months ago #24335

• Pomoz
  • Thank you received: 204
Brilliant post rabbit. I love a good intellectual dissection of league instead of the usual "I hate player A because he's crap" vitriol. The wise old coaches say defence wins premierships and who am I to disagree? What isn't often mentioned. as you are saying, is that those with good defence have usually got great attack. It's the whole chicken and the egg thing. The Cowboys run you off your feet with a range of brilliant attacking plays and monster go award. When you attack, you're knackered and they mop you up easily with their defence. We are then told they have great defence.

I think we have a major structural flaw in our current team because it lacks pace and it lacks skill in the halves. Soward and Wallace are not schemers like JT sniffing out gaps and weaknesses and they are not line breaking, ball tearing speedsters like SJ. They are good solid pros who between them kick well and Wallace defends like another forward. We absolutely struggle to score points even with 60% possession and against teams with leaky defence. I don't know what it will take for Moylan to be tried at 5/8th but hurry up already or we will not make the 8.