Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: R13 Storm v Panthers - Game Day Thread

R13 Storm v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 7 months ago #24381

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 146
This is the place.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

R13 Storm v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 7 months ago #24383

• mutley
  • Thank you received: 205
A few late changes:

1. Matt MOYLAN (c)
2. Josh MANSOUR
3. Waqa BLAKE
6. Tyrone PEACHEY
5. Dallin WATENE-ZELEZNIAK
18. Nathan CLEARY
7. Jamie SOWARD
8. Sam MCKENDRY
9. Peter WALLACE
10. Reagan CAMPBELL-GILLARD
11. Bryce CARTWRIGHT
12. Trent MERRIN
4. Isaah YEO

13. Leilani LATU
14. Suaia MATAGI
15. Jeremy LATIMORE
16. Chris GREVSMUHL

R13 Storm v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 7 months ago #24384

steamboat will be doing naked cartwheels on his front lawn...

R13 Storm v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 7 months ago #24385

• TalentScout
  • Thank you received: 82
:sick:
What did I just watch?

We have too many "highlight" players.

Soward was involved in 3 tries. Too bad they were for the opposition.

R13 Storm v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 7 months ago #24386

• Rabbit
  • Thank you received: 60
My most hated team made us look 3rd rate again.
Cleary looked like the retarded kid next door on his slip and slide.
Soward found out again in defense just like the Cronulla game. Never threatened the line, basically a shitty game.
Can't score on oppositions line.
Scored at the 8th Minute, All Moylan.
Thank god for Mansour, Peachey.
That right side with Moylan and Cartwright, What Happened there every time one of them got the ball they had four defenders on them. I think it may have been that Blake is never a threat and slip and slide Cleary spent most of the game at peoples feet.
They're going to have to start doing set plays on the opposition's line instead of ad lib play.
Outplayed in the forwards for the first time, it may have been the slippery conditions.
Maybe put Yeo back out on right center.

R13 Storm v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 7 months ago #24387

Even Elliott managed to cobble together a set play or two that we could use inside the opponents 20...

Does this Hook bloke have any idea?

R13 Storm v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 7 months ago #24388

• mutley
TalentScout wrote:
What did I just watch?

We can't have Soward & Peachey defending next to each other, the opposition is going to aim there more often than not. Hook needs to put one on either side of the field in defence.
Last Edit: 1 year 7 months ago by mutley.

R13 Storm v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 7 months ago #24389

• mutley
souf aussie panther wrote:
steamboat will be doing naked cartwheels on his front lawn...
I'm surprised we haven't heard from him yet. You didn't eat him did you Souf? :P

R13 Storm v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 7 months ago #24390

• Panther Jack
  • It's bad luck i swear.
  • Thank you received: 108
Disappointing to watch considering how great we started.

Playing against Storm in Melbourne...in wet conditions?May as well have forfeited before the game.

N.Cleary didn't have the brightest of debuts but on several occasions were the subject of being rushed and hit before he could catch his bearings.Example number one - here's the play the ball just before Cleary got hit into an error.

They got away with this all night.You could tell the frustration in Soward after he had a go at the officials for stopping Soward from taking a touch finder then waiting an additional ten seconds to blow time off.Jamie looked like he wanted to rip their heads off.

The most frustrating part was that if we even thought of emulating their playstyle we'd be penalised.Smith is a crackwhore at shoving his knees into tackled players thus preventing them from getting up.No penalty.Mansour getting up from tackling someone.Penalty, which then leads to a try.As if every team gets the same amount of decisions.Teams like Melbourne are well renowned to get away with everything.

We had Blake f*cking 50 metres downfield with Melbourne attacking our 12 man line, and it took to the last tackle where the officials finally thought "Shit, maybe we should actually stop play and let him come off the field.", there's no way they'd show the same disregard for a player's well being if it was Melbourne's tonight.

The fact that we somehow lost the penalty count bewilders me.This competition is rigged.

On the game, back to what i was saying before.The conditions absolutely do not play to our style, but absolutely did to Melbourne's.No erratic attacking football was possible, but slowed down wrestling tripe was.
Last Edit: 1 year 7 months ago by Panther Jack.
The following user(s) said Thank You   panthermike

R13 Storm v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 7 months ago #24393

• TalentScout
mutley wrote:
TalentScout wrote:
What did I just watch?

We can't have Soward & Peachey defending next to each other, the opposition is going to aim there more often than not. Hook needs to put one on either side of the field in defence.

You're right.
But, we've had 2nd rowers defending with him (Yeo) and teams still find him.
It happens week in, week out.
The try where cooper Cronk ran to the line and gave it to proctor was a line speed error. They didn't move up and gave them room to accelerate. Making it harder to stop Proctor from 3mtrs out.

It was a matter of time before Moysa got caught out defending in the line as well. I've noticed this happening (for weeks) and (although it gives us another man in the line) it's dangerous against smart halves.

Cleary slipping. Change your boots son.
Geez, even I have different boots in my bag for different conditions.
Traction wins/loses games.

Just on Cleary, although it wasn't a debut to remember, he will be better for the run.
He's more of an organising half, so expect a different player once he's given the reigns.
His defence was the only concern of mine leading into the game, but, he was outstanding in defence. He had power runners running at him all night and didn't look like missing. "Thumbs up"
I also noticed he was moving with the A and B runners, anticipating/giving options.
He's a keeper.

When it comes to set plays, I have a book of set plays they can use. (I actually do :P) (mainly for oztag, but have seen them working in the 13 man game when my son and his mates use them)

R13 Storm v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 7 months ago #24394

• mutley
We had the same problem about 10 years ago, when we had Danny Galea (who admittedly wasn't the best defender to start with) defending between Preston Campbell & Lee Hookey. Opposition teams kept aiming their attack down that side & running in try after try. After we separated Campbell & Hookey, putting them on opposite sides of the field, our defence improved. Maybe Hook needs to try this & separate Soward & Peachey.

As I've said in other forums, we seem to be flat footed in both attack & defence. It makes it easy to run over the top of us, especially on the line, and reduces our momentum in attack.

R13 Storm v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 7 months ago #24395

• TalentScout
I see what you're saying, and I don't disagree.
But where do u hide him?
I don't think it matters who u pair him with. (his tackling technique is terrible for a 1st grade footballer)
If he's that important to the teams organisation/structure in attack, then there's 3 places he can defend. On the wing, at fullback or in NSW Cup.

Storm went to Cleary's side almost three times more than Sowards side. Cleary made 35 tackles, Soward 14.
Lucky for us I say. We could've witnessed a cricket score.
Cooper Cronk made 13 tackles? 30 less than he should've made after returning from state of origin.

R13 Storm v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 7 months ago #24396

well there goes our season so with a view to 2017 i will comment on the following.

Any team and that means even the lowly and ugly Knights must show improvement week over week.

Fans, supporters and even coaching staff can deal with and understand a side improving albeit if its slowly but what we have seen from this Panther side is a side in rapid decline.

We have not improved in any area, indeed where we all agreed we had a strength was in our forward pack who have managed to hold their own against all the tope sides.......except for last night.

We played like a team without desire, without a plan and without purpose and the fortnight off made us appear like we all holidayed at the pub for 2 weeks.

We had less energy, less drive and less initiative then Storm.

Lets get the Storm out of the way first......their forward pack made us look second rate.......Cronk put the cherry on top.

I agree with earlier comments about Storm and their tactics and their niggle and breaches etc but this is coached and they get away with it and when any chance of a penalty is given or at least reviewed we get screwed......namely the Munster "tap in" when he was outside the field of play for our 40/20 and the "shoulder" on DTZ by Kiribati when he was about to score.

That being said and despite this we simply got smashed by a side which is well coached, has a plan and executes a plan.

Which now leads me to the coaches.........Bellamy gets average players to perform at their highest level week in and week out.......then he has a game plan which the players execute.

Griffin on the other hand now has my attention and his ability to coach is now in question.

I believe we all agree he has some exciting talent and sadly some who are at their ends but we have nothing and he appears unable to get these players to perform and improve.

And his press conferences are now becoming boring and have the same "feel" about them.

He said of yesterday our kicking game was good......i don't know what game he was watching but i thought our kicking game was terrible.

Our kicks generally went straight to opposition players easily.....Soward was even kicking when we had overlaps and before 5th tackle.
Wallace kicked straight to players,then we had Cartwright trying chip and chases with Cleary kicking too deep or too short of the line

On Cleary......i was thrilled to see him get a start and on his perforce i would rate it as a B plus.

As mentioned it was not stellar and the few slips can be forgiven but on the plus his defence was excellent and his own kick chase of his bombs was great and he made many low tackles on larger opposition players but his defence held firm.

On his options and passes.......this was his "weakness" but in his defence its hard to be creative when your forwards are not creating you space..........but on last nights effort and with 2017 in mind.......i think he should now stay at 7 in this team.

On Soward.........i had someone suggest i was too harsh on Soward in calling him a speed bump and last night he proved he is indeed a "turnstile"....His kicking game was terrible, his options in attack were terrible and he lacked energy and or indeed if he was our key playmaker he showed nothing at all.

Just on our "plan" in attack it seems nothing more or less then make offloads........numerous times last night players tried to offload in terrible positions with balls going to ground, balls being contested on the ground and when this failed we kicked.

I believe as 2016 is over we should drop Soward and my view is that he has played his last game for Penrith as we must now look to 2017 and build a team for the rest of the season with this in mind.

Its time to make the hard choices and build an outfit which will get it done next year....more on this later

Its clear to anyone who watches our games Peachy is OK in defence but he is NOT a 6, 4 or 3.

Peachy is bench player who should come on with 10 minutes to go in the first half once our forwards have decimated the other forwards so he has room to weave his ad hoc game but we only need one player who plays ad hoc......at the moment its like watching the harlem globetrotters except we are not that good!

On the forwards.......again i will ask why can't Merrin play 80 minutes?

Merring has been a huge disappointment, he doesn't hurt in defence, he doesn't break the line and he cannot play 80 minutes

RCG has lost ground as the season has worn on.....from a potential SOO forward he has gone backwards and his running game and hard defence has deserted him.

McKendry is worse....he has lost impact....He is not bending the defensive line......in short last night he was terrible.

Wallace......does nothing but bust his guts and whilst now at the end of his career he can hold his head high for his efforts yet still makes dumb mistakes but think he is our 9 going forward

Cartwright........this kid doesn't know what he is or supposed to do.......he is grubber kicking......chip and chasing and spending himself in defence and unable to make line breaks

Yeo......the player i feel most for as this kid doesn't know what his position is and is moved around so many times in a game players outside and inside him must have to introduce themselves to him during a game.

Latimore.........either Griffin has faith or no faith him.....he is not getting enough game time but he does make dumb mistakes

Latu.........has been our form forward but last night he looked flat and was getting bashed up by Storm forwards.

Matagi was largely ineffective with no power plays as he has done in other weeks,,

Latu and Matagi both looked like they had just come from a 2 week hangi.

And Grevsmuhl.......like what was going on with him??????

I saw him at the game, maybe he went and sat in the grandstands because he added and showed nothing.

Everyone has said it but we were hopeless last night......which is why 2016 is over for us patient fans.

That said i believe we need to

1........Tell Soward to look around with a view to getting rid of him before the June 30 deadline........just get him out of the club.

2........Work in any way we can to help Cleary develop.....bring in someone like Johns to give this kid the best help to develop.

He should be our starting 7 for the remainder of the year and our future built "around" him

3.......Bring a centre up from our lower grade with a view to develop him for 2017

4.......Blake has to remain and similarly work on him to develop for 2017

5......Wallace should be our 9.......we need an old head on the field and in the absence of Soward he has the passion still and capacity to be the calming influence........(notice last night he was doing most of the talking behind the lines when we were scored against)

6.......Either ask Merrin does he want to be at Penrith or not.....if he agrees......get his fitness right so he can play for an entire 80 and more importantly he has to change what he is doing now. He needs to run deep onto balls and bend defences plus improve his lateral defence which at lock will protect Cleary

7......Same with Latu and Matagi..........these 2 with FH when he returns should be our "shock" players.......who can hurt defences and especially Latu develop his passing game which will create a potent force in attack.

8.....McKendy and RCG should have a singular role.........hurt in defence and bend the defensive line with "power runs" i think the runs of the Storm forwards last night should be all they need to see in a coaching manual

9.....Latimore either has a future or he doesn't with Panthers and i cannot blame him but he has to know and he has to get more game time if he is to stay

10....Grevs.....its hard to know but what i saw last night is troubling but now should be given the task of cracking the starting side NOT just being in the side.

11.....Martin will be our 6 when he returns from injury and with Cleary at 7 will give us potency we have not had in the halves for years.

12.....Cartwright.........this kid has so much good he is burdened with so much bad.

He doesn't know what he is and what he is supposed to do and as a result he is not being good let alone great at anything

If i was Griffin i would simplify his game and as 2016 is over get him back to basics....let him build confidence

He has been doing mountains of work in defence which is hurting his attacking game...very similar to Wallace

they both try to hard to do everything which impacts on their ability to do what they do best........simplify their games!

13......Yeo........this kid could be anything only if he knew what anything was.

He is named in forwards, moves to either side in centres and as a result he loses his ability to be good at just one role.

Tell the kid what his starting role is and let him develop his game around that role but he CANNOT be everything

14......Moylan......i think with Soward out of the side he will be able to focus on his game.

2017 should be built around these kids and that starts now because our 2016 is over.

We can have i believe the NRL's best 7/6 and 1 in Cleary,Martin and Moylan and they are our future now and for years to come.

They are game changers in my view and if we have a forward pack who shows mongrel and attitude we can compete but we need discipline across the park with these offloads coming to an end.

Forwards have a purpose and that is the hurt in defence and burt in attack by bending the defensive line.......this creates space and time for the backs.......hunt as a pack and hurt as a pack.

Cleary showed enough in defence and Martin has previously to suggest to me they will be great at the halves in defence and mores in attack with Moylan adding the "sparkle" in attack.

Its a simple game and many more much more knowledgeable then me have noted strategies, plays etc but we need to go back to basics because we are playing as strangers without strategy and purpose.

I believe we have a "great" team in our ranks......Griffin needs to be able to bring this out of the players.

Note to self........Gould

Soward
Griffin Appointment

Cleary sacking

Elliot sacking

Merrin contract

Grevsmuhl

was a Segeyaro fan

Possible Carter and Tamou joining

5 year plans

see a thread developing here?

we are buying or bringing in players who just are not working out

I hope Gould is letting Griffin coach and have his wishlist of players because at the moment the only fall guys i see for these costly mistakes has been coaches

R13 Storm v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 7 months ago #24397

• mr walker
  • Thank you received: 129
Our deficiencies were well & truly exposed by a professional team. I didn't see anyone not trying their hardest, but we are just a long way of the pace when it comes to the good teams.

I read a post on FB, which I think had merit. The poster wrote that Cleary, with the team we have, would have us pushing for top 4 spot - I think that is true.

We are not wrecked with injuries, Whare and Hiku would not have made a difference to last nights result, & yet we are struggling.

Many of what is written above is very obvious - why can some fans see the problems & offer solutions, yet the professionals paid big bucks are oblivious?

The 5 year plan is a crock. I think it's time the double agent is moved on & can return fulltime to his beloved roosters. Then he could hold hands with Nick and not accidently tweet their sweet talk to the world! We have a new CEO & he should be given the chance to do the job, without the spectre of the boss looking over his shoulder.
Last Edit: 1 year 7 months ago by mr walker.

R13 Storm v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 7 months ago #24398

• Rabbit
  • Thank you received: 60
The first game this year we were truly beaten, probably not the end of the world, big reality check for every Panther fan.
It was slippery and they were completely out enthused and out played. At least they didn't get beat by forty or fifty. The Broncos were losing 36 to 12 at one stage yesterday. It can happen.
If I was looking for a finger to point at - I would be looking more at recruitment and that happened before Griffin got here. Every Panther fan before this year even started knew we were light on in the 6 and 7 department and had only one decent centre. My criticism would be our big purchases have been more on forwards. And our purchases made were not guaranteed first grade standard players, Hiku and TM Martin.
The fact is our season may have been in trouble when we lost Whare. Then TM Martin, Then Hiku. That's not an excuse for yesterday just a big picture observation.
I think Griffin knows the deficiencies as these are the positions where he has been continually shuffling. I'm glad I am not in his position.
He has named Wallace at 5/8 plenty of times and then done everything humanly possible not to play him there. Correct.
Put Yeo and Peachey in the centres instead of promoting Blake or Jennings. Correct.
Was hesitant to promote Cleary. He had a shocker. Correct again.
From my point of view the recruitment has been around forwards when it always should of been around 3,4,6 and 7. Like I said earlier Martin and Hiku worked out, but there was no guarantee they would. Wests and Manly both didn't use them as primary first graders. The recruiters attention has NOT been towards 3,4,6 and 7. That's where we have fallen down, everybody on this forum knows these position has been our problem. But the recruiters have just bought Grevsmuhl and they're going to buy Tamou. Even if Cleary works out we still need a replacement for Soward.
Our recruitment has not (NOT) been focused on 3,4,6 and 7, and blind Freddy could see that it should of been. When the season started Whare was the only guy that would make his position throughout the league.
I blame the recruiters primarily Gould and not this particular coach for our current predicament.
Griffin's player positioning has been correct, in my opinion considering what he has to work with.
His tactics have been to do a lot of second phase play. It's worked to get us down the field better than any other team but hasn't got us points. No one could of seen, including this coach that we would be so ineffectual close to the oppositions line. He and we are knobled in the 34,6 and 7 area. He is probably going to have to put in more structure or hope Cleary starts playing like a legend, It was a shocking start to his career but he seemed to cope with the Physicality in a game where we got trounced.
It's easy to blame the new guy, I think any coach would of struggled with the Injuries to centre's and 5/8s. I include Wallace in that injury list - He may have come back from two knee reconstructions - But he can't pivot or accelerate. I don't like to admit it but you have to blame Gould if he is doing the recruiting. He bought Wallace and Soward which was O.K but he has been to loyal, we should of been in the market to replace them. I still haven't given up on Soward but my resolve is weakening.