Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: R14 Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread

R14 Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 7 months ago #24423

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 146
Two games on this afternoon. Nathan Cleary gets his second call up as the NRL Panthers take on a heavily depleted Manly side. With so many youngsters lining up on both sides, this should make for some entertaining football.

The NYC team will take on the last placed Manly side looking to keep their place upon the top of the Holden Cup table. The NYC Team has looked the goods all season, and should make light work of the Sea Eagles.

The NSW Cup side played Yesterday at Pepper Stadium against Manly in a error riddled game, with both sides looking awkward and disjointed. The Panthers scored a flurry of late tries to emerge convincing winner 24-6

This week games:

Telstra Premiership: Manly Sea Eagles v Penrith Panthers @ Brookvale Oval [PEN 31 d. MAN 24]
Holden Cup: Manly Sea Eagles v Penrith Panthers @ Brookvale Oval [PEN 60 d. MAN 6]
Intrust Super Premiership: Manly Sea Eagles v Penrith Panthers @ Pepper Stadium [PEN 24 d. MAN 6]

Telstra Premiership Full Time

Penrith Panthers 31
(Peachey, Mansour, Cleary, Latu, Wallace, Watene-Zelezniak. Moylan 0/2 Wallace 3/4 Goals. Moyaln 1/1 FG) def.
Manly Sea Eagles 24 (Walker 2, Trobojevic, Taufua. Walker 4/5 Goals)

Half Time: Sea Eagles 20 - Panthers 4

Holden Cup Full Time

Penrith Panthers 60
(Burns 3, Tuisese 2, Brown 2, Ellis 2, Clark, Martin. Luai 8/11 Goals) def.
Manly Sea Eagles 6 (Tufui. Funa 1/1 Goals)

Half Time: Panthers 36 - Sea Eagles 20 6

Intrust Super Premiership NSW Full Time

Penrith Panthers 24
(W Smith 3, Dockar-Clay. Soward 4/4 Goals) def.
Manly Sea Eagles 6 (Fritz. Pratt 1/1 Goals)

Half Time: Panthers 6 - Sea Eagles 20 6
Last Edit: 1 year 7 months ago by Steve Tidball.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

R14 Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 7 months ago #24424

• mutley
  • Thank you received: 205
The Panthers will line up as per program.

R14 Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 7 months ago #24425

this game more then any in recent times is about how we approach this game "mentally"

Manly are without so many of their "stars" it would be easy to assume we should win this game nd win it easily.

Needless to say much older and wiser heads will suggest any team Manly will put on the paddock will be competitive and our boys will have to have their mind on the job and focus on how we approach our game.

TB the Manly coach has intimate knowledge of our boys and there will some in the Manly team who will relish the game against former clubmates

There should be no excuses today from our side. Conditions will be close to perfect and we have selected a side which should be highly competitive yet will be a key test for Cleary and Griffin's game plan and how well we execute that.

I hope our forwards bash the Manly side which will give Cleary and Carty room to show their magic.

Today should give us a great insight as to what is ahead for us long suffering Panther fans.

I will take a win but i believe this Panther team should win by plenty if we focus.

R14 Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 7 months ago #24426

• mutley
Our Holden Cup side have smashed Manly 60-6

R14 Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 7 months ago #24427

well poor suffering supporters this is going to go one of 2 ways.

Sea Eagles will win 38 to 4 or we will come back and win 32 -24

But this perforce in the first half is worse then rubbish......where are our forwards???????

We are getting creamed in the penalties........we are doing more defence and we look completely disinterested

Embarrassing to watch as a loyal and long time Panther supporter.

Question to self....who sacked Cleary and employed Griffin?
Last Edit: 1 year 7 months ago by steamboatfarmer.

R14 Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 7 months ago #24428

• mutley
Stupid errors & penalties giving Manly too much ball & tiring our defence. We are flat footed in both attack & defence. Same problems that have been costing us all year.

R14 Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 7 months ago #24429

Well that was a train wreck........the coach is now showing his true colours with goofy selections etc. This Manly side is terrible and we're getting flogged. Embarrassing again

LP

R14 Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 7 months ago #24430

Gould has announced we are now in a 25 year plan......please be patient!

Note to Coach Gould err Griffin

why is Moylan kicking when the in form kicker in the club is Cleary??????????

Have to do another edit........why is Wallace kicking when Cleary in the best kicker in the club?
Last Edit: 1 year 7 months ago by steamboatfarmer.

R14 Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 7 months ago #24431

• Puss
  • Thank you received: 259
Gus, Gus, you watching ????

This is a dreadful performance from a talented (on paper) side.
Fact is, we were better under Elliott.
Don't care if we conjur up some face saving comeback.
This team is lacking some real steel.
Some intent, some enthusiasm, some consistency.
I don't wish to be lambasted with "the sort of football you play
when you're 20 in front or 20 behind".
This side need an all mighty ear full and I'm not sure 'Hook' is
the man to deliver it.
The following user(s) said Thank You   Lismore Panther

R14 Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 7 months ago #24432

Thank god Peter Wallace plays for us ;)

R14 Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 7 months ago #24433

firstly Gould should resign in whatever role he has at this club of ours..

And he again in commentary talks about what we are building towards?????????

Hello,,,,,,,,,i wish i could get onto the drugs he is using

So the first half was terrible and his commentary turns to say in the second half we are building a team.

Gould should be sacked tomorrow by Panthers!

He should be the first casualty of this debacle we are watching.

R14 Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 7 months ago #24434

Wallace and more importantly Cleary!!!!

That kid is our future but Wallace was great......he was a standout.

R14 Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 7 months ago #24435

All loyal Panther supporters we are watching something special in this kid Cleary,,,,,,,,a very special talent and a talent we should be building our future around.

Wallace tonight was great as was Latu and Latimore

The rest of our forwards should be embarrassed by that effort.

Carty is lost and has no idea what he is supposed to be doing and should move back to the forwards but he is making dumb choices in attack.

We got a win but we should be embarrassed by it

After sacking Gould tomorrow and getting him out of the club i would say to Griffin......you have free unfettered control of the team and your contract going forward depends on results.

There is something wrong inside this footy team.........seriously wrong!

Getting rid of Gould would be a first step in the right direction.

Cleary was a standout at 7 despite our forwards being embarrassed by the Eagles forwards.

This kid is special with a capital S.

R14 Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 7 months ago #24436

Never doubted that second half comeback for a second...unlike a few of you 'unfaithfuls'...

reeoow reeeooooowwwww
Last Edit: 1 year 7 months ago by souf aussie panther.
The following user(s) said Thank You   mutley

R14 Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 7 months ago #24437

• Dufeyz
  • Thank you received: 44
i dont know how we won, but we did. We only played for 20 minutes. I don't understand this team.
The following user(s) said Thank You   Lismore Panther

R14 Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 7 months ago #24438

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 146
Really was a game of two halves there. I think most were pretty accurate in their assessment of the first half, there was nothing to suggest Penrith were in a position to win today's game. I had a few choice words about that half of football to the group I was watching with. Something along the lines of it being one of the worst first half performances I had ever seen.

As the second half kicked off and many crossed over and scored once more, making the deficit 20 points I begun to shrunk into my seat... this could be a blow out. What happened after that was 27 unanswered points. It stands as the 2016 NRL Seasons biggest comeback. The final 25 minutes was great to watch, set plays were starting to pay off and passes were sticking.

I'll take the win.... having said that though we should had won this game by 40, not 7. But a win is a win.

Congratulations as well to young Nathan Cleary on his first NRL Try. After he settled down returning from the first half he looked great out there.

R14 Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 7 months ago #24439

• panthermike
  • Thank you received: 10
The first half was embarassing, we had a team [?] with no brain their total IQ would not be above their jersey number. But what happened in the second half? Everybody was playing their part. Even Merrin eventually. Thinking. Maybe Moylan is a bit too nice to be captain.

R14 Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 7 months ago #24440

The only impressive moves Trent 'The Myth' Merrin has... are on display in the team song after the match.

R14 Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 7 months ago #24441

• mr walker
  • Thank you received: 129
Well, from the depths of despair to a win!!!

We were very ordinary in the 1st half & really Manly had all the luck. We are just too nice at times - when we have the chance to legitimately finish a tackle on a player who kicks it we need to. Two Manly tries were scored by players who should have been picking themselves up off the ground, not grounding the ball for tries.

But some serious defending over 3 repeats sets where we held them out ultimately when we were 4-24 gave us the chance to play some running football and snatch an improbable victory. Sometimes there are just strange turning points, but it's as if we realised that Manly were not going to score again & we just started playing footy.

Not really too sure what to make of it - all players had their moments, both good & bad, but Sauce IS the BEAST.

I really think that we need to move on now to what will be the future & move Moylan to the 6 - he is now ready & it is his best spot.

Anyway, much happier evening then it looked like being :-)

R14 Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 7 months ago #24442

Moylan will NOT be our 6 going forward......that is Martins position to partner Cleary.

Moylan will remain our 1

R14 Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 7 months ago #24443

• Puss
  • Thank you received: 259
..... if we aspire to finals footy we must not repeat that 1st half malaise.

R14 Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 7 months ago #24444

having the benefit to reflect on the game ......we did not win that game Manly lost it.

and why they lost it goes to what i have mentioned many times.....game management.

Manly should not been run down leading 24-4 but they did because no one in their side took control of their game management.

IF Lyons was on the field they would have won.

I noticed again last night Wallace was the one laying down the law to the boys when we were scored against which begs the question why is Moylan Captain?

And tactically we missed kicks at goal because Griffin did not want to put any more pressure on Cleary (Griffins words)....yet i humbly disagree and those misses by Moylan could have cost us in a close contest.

IF......you have the best kicker in the club on the field he should be the kicker......and lets see how Cleary handles the pressure and make assessments then but to relegate him to #3 behind Moyaln then Wallace is laughable.

On the Captaincy......i would relieve Moylan of it for the remainder of the season and give the Captaincy to Wallace.....let Moylan focus on building his game.

I noted with some joy our shape and options in the game changed with Cleary.

Cleary was giving great service with varying balls to our backs as opposed to the hail marks from Soward.....he was also putting their defence in two minds with his darting runs which finally ended in him scoring.

He did all this behind a forward pack who were terrible.....we allowed the less fancied Manly boys run all over us. We never bent their defensive line and this took time away from Cleary and Carty.

I can only imagine what is possible if our forwards aim up.

On our forwards......outside Wallace and Latu........they need a rocket

Grevsmuhl was awful, never hurt in defence and did almost nothing......Merrin is still too flat and not able to break lines.

Latimore tried when he came on.......RCG was awful as was Matagi.........Yeo had possibly his worst game but was OK.

Our backs though seeing more ball from Cleary were better......Peachy was good and Blake was better and when they were getting better ball they made inroads.

Carty was good but needs a little more time at 5/8th and still takes poor options but when he executes as we know he can its brilliant.......but he had a little more time yesterday and looked more impressive then he had.

I think we are close to the right mix with what is available at the moment and if Martin can make it back to partner Cleary we could go even better BUT our forwards need to find the form we had early in the season.

I think FH will straighten our attack but last night when on attack our attack had more options as opposed to when Soward was there.

There is a a lot to take out of last nights game...other then the 2 points.

Moylan should surrender the Captaincy.....give it to Wallace

Allow Cleary to do the kicking

Leave Carty at 5/8th

I think our forwards missed the hardwork Carty was doing in making them look good but now they have to look at themselves and do some heavy lifting as a group!

I actually still believe we can win this competition.........even on the rubbish dished up yesterday but we need to have the honest conversation with these players about their roles and their dreams.

We have pulled the trigger on Segs and Soward.

Maybe we have to pull the trigger on some more in the forwards.......i would drop Grevs and even consider dropping Merrin.

The forwards have to understand what is required of them and if its a stint in reserves to get their attention......now is the time to do so.

If we get this forward pack hunting and hurting like they did in those early games.......we can do anything in this comp.

I do not subscribe to putting success off into the future......i believe if we are good enough we can do anything now NOT in 5 years time!

R14 Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 7 months ago #24445

• mutley
In 2003, it was one of our rookies (Joel Clinton) who was often laying down the law & revving up our players, despite Gower being captain.

Any player can take the lead in that department, the main thing is that someone is doing some talking during those times.

R14 Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 7 months ago #24446

• Panther Jack
  • It's bad luck i swear.
  • Thank you received: 108
Awful, awful, awful first 50 minutes.

Very impressive last 30 minutes.

Not really much to say besides that.Everyone just woke up and started playing footy like it was their profession at the end of the game.

Terrific mentality to fight back.

- Wallace was great.

- NATHAN CLEARY.He's not as good as him yet, but he certainly has a Cronk aura around him with his kick chases and game management.

- Great professionalism to kill off the game with Moylan's one pointer.No f*cking around.

- I want to marry Latu. :lol:

- Jesus Christ i hope we keep Mansour.

- Awful first half from the officials.Our ability to get quick play the balls were illegally hampered which caused frustration thus leading to errors.If we so much have stayed on a Manly player for a split second, you can bet a penalty was going against us.Such is the case in every game we've played this year.Also, that bunker 'strip' call that lead to a Manly try the next set...an official could stab all of our players and Griffin would say in the post game interview, "we have to take this into our stride and start wearing bullet proof vests for the rest of the season.No point making excuses for ourselves.".

R14 Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 7 months ago #24447

• mr walker
  • Thank you received: 129
steamboatfarmer wrote:
Moylan will NOT be our 6 going forward......that is Martins position to partner Cleary.

Moylan will remain our 1

From an early age Matt has been destined to be at 6. Nothing has happened to change that. His skills & abilities have been honed to that end. I said some years ago that the next time we win the comp there will be a guy named Moylan in the 6. 2014 almost proved me wrong :-)

He is best suited to 6 - he will play origin at 6.

Martin may or may not prove to be the goods - we know Moylan has the goods, right now. IT'S TIME.

And at every game we should thank our lucky stars that we still have him. Gould classed him as surplus to our needs and gave his manager permission to find him a deal elsewhere - 2 weeks before he made his NRL debut! Of course in Goulds defence we did have Wes N to play at F/B :-)
  • Page: