Switch to desktop Register Login

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: R21 Warriors v Panthers - Game Day Thread

R21 Warriors v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #24925

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 146
The Panthers are heading over the ditch for the second time this season to face off against the Warriors. Panthers have struck some form, silencing the Broncos last week and a comeback win against Parramatta. The Warrior though will be looking for a win to stay i the running for a finals spot after two narrow losses. With injured player looking to make a return in coming weeks it will be a important to win this one to cement a place in the top 8. NRL Kicks-off at 3pm local time.

Can the Holden Cup boys make it 17 unbeaten games in a row? Find out at 12:30pm today as the First placed Panthers tackle the 12th placed Warriors at Mt Smart Stadium. Even with injuries and promotions in the team the Panthers have still found ways to win. The NYC Warriors do have a tendency to leak points, so this could end up being a high scoring affair.

The NSW Cup side head out to Henson Park to face Newtown for the second time this season. The last time this team met at St Marys 4 weeks ago, Jamie Soward handed the Newtown Jets a masterclass in play making as the Panthers piled on 60 points, and the forwards set out to smash the Jets upfront, sending many to the sidelines. I'm sure the Jet will still have this in the back of their minds and with a vastly different looking NSW Cup side, expect a tight hard battle here. The Jets game kicks off at Henson Park today at 3pm.

If you need you footy fix and can't get out to New Zealand, head on over to Henson Park to watch the NSW Cup boys play the Jets. Ground entry is $10.00, with Concessions $5 and Kids under 16 free. If you want to experience the days where you could park your car in the ground you can for an additional $5.

Broadcast

NRL: Fox Sports 1 Channel 501 (LIVE) 12:30pm
NYC: Fox Sports 1 Channel 501 (LIVE) 12:30pm
NSW: Hawkesbury Radio 89.9FM (LIVE)

This Weekends Matches

Telsra Premiership: New Zealand Warriors v Penrith Panthers @ Mt Smart Stadium [WAR 20 d. PEN 16]
Holden Cup: New Zealand Warriors v Penrith Panthers @ Mt Smart Stadium [WAR 30 d. PEN 28]
Intrust Super Premiership: Newtown Jets v Penrith Panthers @ Henson Park [NWT 12 d. 10]

Telstra Premiership Full Time (Golden Point)

New Zealand Warriors 20 (Fusitua 2, Maumalo, Johnson. Luke 2/3, Johnson 0/1 Goals) def.
Penrith Panthers 16 (Mansour 2, Peachey. Cleary 2/3 Goals)

Half Time: Warriors 10 lead. Panthers 2

Holden Cup Full Time

New Zealand Warriors 30 (Telea, Pauga, Price, Soosemea, Faitotoa, Clark. Pauga 3/6 Goals) def.
Penrith Panthers 28 (Waddell 2, Egan, May, Nelson. Luai 4/5 Goals)

Half Time: Warriors 14 lead. Panthers 6

Intrust Super Premiership Full Time

Newtown Jets 12 (Brown 2. Capewell 2/2 Goals) def.
Penrith Panthers 10 (Jennings, Hall. Hall 1/2 Goals)

Half Time: Jets 12 lead Panthers 6
Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by Steve Tidball.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

R21 Warriors v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #24926

• Panther Jack
  • It's bad luck i swear.
  • Thank you received: 108
Warriors are favourites and back in front of their fans that are in desperate need of a win.Warriors aren't the most mentally tough team on the planet and like us have a tendency to crack when expected to do well.

We need to start just like last round, early kicks behind their wingers.Set the tone nice and early.If Merrin, Latu and co. have another strong game i can see us picking up the two points.

R21 Warriors v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #24927

• mutley
  • Thank you received: 205
Early in the second half in Holden Cup, Warriors lead 20-16, after they led 14-6 at half time, Panthers have started dominating in he last few minutes, with 2 tries in about 4 minutes.

R21 Warriors v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #24928

• mutley
Panthers score their 3rd try in 6 minutes to take the lead 22-20 after 56 minutes

R21 Warriors v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #24929

• mutley
Warriors score again to lead 24-22 after 62 mins

R21 Warriors v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #24930

• mutley
Another converted try each, Warriors lead 30-28 after 73 minutes

R21 Warriors v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #24931

• mutley
Holden Cup full time:

Warriors 30
Panthers 28

We had our opportunities to snatch victory in the last 5 minutes, but a few panic plays killed our chances.

R21 Warriors v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #24932

• Panther Jack
  • It's bad luck i swear.
  • Thank you received: 108
Our 20's team are utterly hopeless.

So sick of them losing all the time.

R21 Warriors v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #24933

• mutley
Our first grade side will be as named on Tuesday

R21 Warriors v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #24934

• mutley
Very ordinary first half. Don't know how Mansours try got called back for a forward pass when none of the Warriors forward passes (which were all worse) were let go.
The following user(s) said Thank You   TalentScout

R21 Warriors v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #24935

I was wary that the news of Griffin sacking the entire Panthers ancillary coaching staff would be slightly harder to swallow after the loss today....

and anyone who has followed Penrith closely for more than a few years would have won a few $$ punting on this match today...

R21 Warriors v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #24936

• Rabbit
  • Thank you received: 60
What is it with the fumbling after being put into a gap. Yeo first then Blake fumbled again, he did regather but lost momentum.
Probably Moylan worst game and easily DWZ worst.
It could of been so different Latu put Yeo in, then a few minutes later should of put Cartwright into a hole, but Fisher-Harris stuck out a lazy hand. -- Then tip off called back - %100 a try. -- Moylan and Wallace both dropping it, they weren't looking at the ball.
We have had trouble inside the 20 this season but looked to have fixed that in the last couple of games, but all those lost opportunities I just mentioned above seemed to put us back into the side to side stuff we had done previously.
The instant we put pressure on Johnson's kicking game, we turned the whole game around.
Moylan shouldn't of passed it to DWZ in extra time, He didn't look like he wanted any part of that match. (I closed my eyes soon as it left Moylan hands).
Dropped the ball twice and got stripped once in extra time. Meanwhile the warriors hardly made a handling error the whole match.
The following user(s) said Thank You   kyussian

R21 Warriors v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #24937

• Puss
  • Thank you received: 259
...... we've turned a lot of corners, but just been round the block !!!! :unsure:
The following user(s) said Thank You   Pomoz, TalentScout

R21 Warriors v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #24938

• Pomoz
  • Thank you received: 204
DWZ is hopelessly put of form. Reggies for him, he has been awful for a while now. Moylan is terrible under the high ball, he drops them enough that the opposition halfback will be licking their lips and getting their torpedos ready. Hardaker or Edwards to get a run and Moylan to 5/8th is the way to go, but maybe not this season. We can still make the 8 without disrupting our current team too much. DWZ out next week though. He is a liability.

R21 Warriors v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #24940

• TalentScout
  • Thank you received: 82
souf aussie panther wrote:
I was wary that the news of Griffin sacking the entire Panthers ancillary coaching staff would be slightly harder to swallow after the loss today....

and anyone who has followed Penrith closely for more than a few years would have won a few $$ punting on this match today...

How much did you win Souf?? ;)

R21 Warriors v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #24941

despite all the errors and failings highlighted in earlier posts it was remarkable we were in the game for as long as we were and with an ounce of luck could have won the game.

That is the good news.

The bad news is this team just cannot execute a game plan and too many individuals take it upon themselves to pull off the hail mary play instead of doing the hard grind then execute set plays.

Last week we rolled the ball into the Broncos in goal zone for multiple repeat sets from goal line drop outs.

Last night on a wet and windy track where rolling the ball along the ground would have been the play of choice (Warriors did it) we didnt get one repeat set from a grubber.

Cleary got a remarkable ball away for a try and yet is mostly ignored through game.

Wallace kicked but not long and early in sets.

Cleary put up mid fields bombs which were largely ineffectual because of where the kick was taken from and where it landed.

Cartwright kicks on play 2 straight into a Warriors belly.

As pointed out Moylan really seemed disinterested last night and DWZ is in terrible form.......he is too light and should not run the ball back into the defence as he almost always loses it and if he doesn't he gains next to no ground.

Mansour was brilliant until the dumbest strip of all time in golden point extra time.

And Cartwright is NOT a 5/8th and should be moved if Martin got through yesterdays game without injury...NO..he should be moved full stop!

On the forwards why didn't Merrin play the 80 again?

Although i think our forwards held their own against the Warriors as they have against most forward packs this year.

For next week i would drop DWZ......move Carty to the forwards and start him from the bench....yes start him from the bench, let him see how a game unfolds and get him to do what is required when he comes on.

Let the big boppers Matagi,Latu and Merrin bend the defence back with hard running from the bench players when they rotate.

Bring Martin in at 6 and either give Hardaker the DWZ wing spot or bring a kid up from the Under 20's

And i would even think about resting Moylan and give his spot to Hardaker

We just have to get back to building pressure through execution of a game plan and having the forwards bend the defence line aka the game against the Bronocs so Cleary can cut loose.

Hopefully Martin is fit enough to play and even he doesn't get through a whole game we can turn to Carty but i remain of the view Carty should be on the bench and Moylan needs a break....he is playing himself out of form.

Neither of the two teams who played yesterday can worry the likes of Storm .Cowboys or Sharks on yesterdays display.....but we can if we execute as we did against the Broncos with one note of caution.

Roosters carved up the Broncos as easily as we did and we play Roosters on Monday week....this is no give me game either with Roosters playing for pride and we are playing for a spot in the semis.

Puss best described our efforts as having turned the corner but we have just kept turning right to end up where we started.

Griffin dos shown wonderful support for the team and rarely dropping a player but i think the wake up call is due.

DWZ to lower grades

Moylan having a rest

Carry related to the bench

Griffin needs to get the attention of these players and get them to focus on what he wants, not what they think he wants.

R21 Warriors v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #24942

• TalentScout
Puss wrote:
...... we've turned a lot of corners, but just been round the block !!!! :unsure:

When we turned that corner last week, I thought we'd be on the M1. But, it looks like we took the 1st exit. :angry:

R21 Warriors v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #24943

thats exactly right.....we took the easy way out.

Lets get off at the first exit team......should make them row home from NZ in the same boat and let the team sort out the ones not pulling on the oars.
Moylan is Captain, get him to bring the team to row together.

And i still don't believe he should be Captain.........Merrin as captain?
Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by steamboatfarmer.

R21 Warriors v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #24944

• TalentScout
If they had a team dinner last night, I'd expect the backs (from 1-6) serving the forwards their food.

The forwards did their job and got us to good areas on the field and defended well.
The backs let them down.

Not contesting kicks, dumb plays, poor ball handling/security, impatient etc.

We forced the Warriors into mistakes and instead of turning good field position into opportunities with patience, we pushed passes (tip ons) and failed to execute on numerous occasions early in the count. (Plus the Carty kick on the 2nd :sick: )

A couple of times Mansour shot in again when we were sliding that lead to a try/opportunities and Peach not contesting the cross field bomb for Fusi's 1st try? :angry:
Fusi's 2nd try came from our line speed. Last week Peach was up in Roberts face and his line speed was "on tap", this week he seemed "gassed"..

The coach made a good decision to bring Hardaker on and move Peach to the back row, or the game may not have gone to extra time.

In extra time, commentators pointed out how we were offside (at marker) near our try line and they were spot on, should've been a penalty. What they failed to see was when we were down the Warriors end and Johnson was at 1st marker (I think in the back end of normal time) and he was standing to the side of the PTB and took off to chase what he thought was going to be a field goal attempt.
Should've been a penalty to us. Game over.

R21 Warriors v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #24945

• Puss
........ how did Blake go ? B)

R21 Warriors v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #24946

the consensus view appears to be Referees are reluctant to give penalties in golden point time.....which is at odds in how they ref in the normal period of the game.

On Blake.....i would say he is a work in progress and we all know he is a stop gap centre and would be a better winger but he is doing a fair job..indeedlast night he saved Carty from looking bad in defence again.

Carry struggles with someone who has any lateral movement

Martin at 6 will give Blake more confidence in defence IMO

R21 Warriors v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #24948

• TalentScout
Puss wrote:
........ how did Blake go ? B)

Haha.. Puss. You shit stirrer.. :lol:

I could be highly critical of some of his decisions, but I'll let him off.. (This week) :dry:

(Or we could go post for post. You point out the game minute of what he did good and I'll do the same for what he did bad?) :P
Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by TalentScout.

R21 Warriors v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #24949

• Puss
..... I'll settle for 'shitstirrer', for now. :P
The following user(s) said Thank You   TalentScout

R21 Warriors v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #24951

• TalentScout
Rabbit wrote:
easily DWZ worst.
Pomoz wrote:
DWZ is hopelessly out of form. Reggies for him, he has been awful for a while now. DWZ out next week though. He is a liability.

I did notice he changed his boots at half time.. :dry:
(His ears must've been burning) :P
The following user(s) said Thank You   Kevin

R21 Warriors v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #24952

• shazza
  • Thank you received: 162
The remarkable thing about yesterday’s game was not that we lost a seemingly close match in Golden Point but that we could play so badly and yet still be in the contest with a couple of minutes to go. You can’t win rugby league games without the ball, it’s as simple as that. With a completion rate of less than 65% during the first 70 mins
it’s a miracle that that we managed to scramble our way to the break just 8 points in arrears. A combination of bad luck for the Warriors and good on-line defense from the Panthers was all that was keeping us in the game.

Ball security was undoubtedly our greatest failing but our attack, despite occasional flashes of brilliance that resulted in tries, for the most part, lacked purpose and fluidity. I’m sure there was a game plan but whatever it was it certainly wasn’t obvious to the casual observer. There was a half-arsed attempt to bomb Manu Vatuvei (aka Corey Oates) which thankfully didn’t come back to bite us, but generally it was just a case of keep the ball in motion and hope for the best.

Cartwright is an incredibly gifted footballer but he’s at his best when he’s allowed to free-wheel, playing what’s in front of him, unencumbered by discipline and the inevitable restriction of a formal game plan. He’s not the player we need in the (war-room) halves. This isn’t a criticism of Cartwright, he is what he is and what he isn’t, is a general. He’s very much Special Forces. Hopefully the return of Te Maire Martin will steady the ship.

Isiah Yeo, the most under-rated player in the First Grade squad, had an unbelievable first half in defense and showed a cool head and did everything right just after the break to gift a try to Peachey after a brilliant, last tackle, half-break and offload from Cleary. Kicking apart, Young Cleary had a remarkably sound game, despite the immense pressure his return to Mt. Smart Stadium must have put him under.

Peter Wallace was our best, his defense, inspirational leadership and all round performance confirmed his mantle as “team leader”. Moylan had a shocker, keep it simple stupid. Creative adlibbing is all very good when used selectively but catching and passing the ball has worked perfectly well for the past 108 years so why the tap-on is now the favoured method of progressing the ball, is beyond me.

shazza