Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: R23 Knights v Panthers - Game Day Thread

R23 Knights v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #25094

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 146
The NRL Panthers have been handed quite a opportunity with other games swinging their way. A win today will go a long way to locking up a spot in the top 8 and a finals berth. Newcastle are not to be underestimated though as they are no longer the "easybeats" from earlier this season, with many players in key positions returning from injury. The Panther will need to be on their game for the full 80 minutes if they expect to leave Newcastle with the 2 points. Chris Grevsmuhl has been ruled out of today's game with a elbow injury, he will be replaced with Suaia Matagi, returning from a foot injury. Kick-Off is at 2pm

An important game for the NYC Panthers this week, a win over the 11th placed Knights will all but secure the Minor Premiership for the Panthers with 3 weeks still to play. The Knights are still a mathematical chance of making the 8 so expect fierce match at Hunter Stadium this morning. Kick-Off is at 11:30am

The NSW Cup faceed a strong Wyong side on Saturday afternoon looking to crack into a finals spot. The Roos struck early pushing out to a 18-0 lead, but the Panthers staged a comeback mid way through the second half, but with many opportunities wasted, the Panthers managed to only get within reach of winning, the Roos emerging victors 22-16

Broadcast

NRL: Fox Sports 1 (Channel 501) *LIVE* 14/8 2:00pm
NYC: Fox Sports 1 (Channel 501) *LIVE* 14/8 11:30am
NSW: Hawkesbury Radio 89.9FM (LOCAL) *LIVE* 13/8 3:00pm

This rounds games

Telstra Premiership: Newcastle Knights v Penrith Panthers @ Hunter Stadium [PEN 42 d. NEW 6]
Holden Cup: Newcastle Knights v Penrith Panthers @ Hunter Stadium [NEW 32 d. PEN 24]
Intrust Super Premiership: Penrith Panthers v Wyong Roos @ St Marys Stadium [WYO 22 d. PEN 16]

Telstra Premiership Full Time

Penrith Panthers 42 (Mansour 2, D Watene-Zelezniak 2, Moylan, Blake, Peachey. Cleary 7/8 Goals) def.
Newcastle Knights 6 (Elliot. Hodkinson 1/1 Goals)

Half Time: Panthers 6 tie. Knights 6

Holden Cup Full Time

Newcastle Knights 32 (Meaney, Gudgeon, Starling, Robson, Gibbs, Soper-Lawler. Robson 4/6 Goals) def.
Penrith Panthers 24 (Aekins, Crichton, Blore, Tuigamala, Crichton. Luai 2/5 Goals)

Half Time: Knights 14 lead. Panthers 12

Intrust Super Premiership Full Time

Wyong Roos 22 (Cornish, Centrone, Reardon, Garner. Cornish 3/4 Goals) def.
Penrith Panthers 16 (Albert, Jennings, M Watene-Zelezniak. Hall 1/2 Dockar-Clay 1/1 Goals)

Half Time: Roos 18 lead. Panthers 0
Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by Steve Tidball.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

R23 Knights v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #25100

• mutley
  • Thank you received: 205
NYC half time:

Knights 14
Panthers 12

3 tries each, kicking has been ordinary from both teams

R23 Knights v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #25104

• mutley
A few late changes:

1. Matt MOYLAN (c)
2. Josh MANSOUR
3. Waqa BLAKE
4. Tyrone PEACHEY
5. Dallin WATENE-ZELEZNIAK
6. Bryce CARTWRIGHT
7. Nathan CLEARY
8. Leilani LATU
9. Peter WALLACE
19. Suaia MATAGI
11. Isaah YEO
12. James FISHER-HARRIS
13. Trent MERRIN

14. Sitaleki AKAUOLA
15. Jeremy LATIMORE
17. Zak HARDAKER
20. Reagan CAMPBELL-GILLARD

R23 Knights v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #25106

• mutley
NYC full time

Knights 32
Panthers 24

We looked lethargic all game.

R23 Knights v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #25110

• mutley
Panthers 42 (Watene-Zelezniak 2, Mansour 2, Moylan, Blake, Peachey tries; Cleary 7/8 goals)
Knights 6

Ordinary first half, looked like a training run in the second half. Has given our for & against a massive boost, giving us the upper hand over the other teams we are competing with for the last few finals spots.
Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by mutley.

R23 Knights v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #25111

• Puss
  • Thank you received: 259
..... a very tardy 1st stanza. We squandered possession, didn't put them on the ground and didn't respect field position.
Different game after oranges and we dealt with it in a highly efficient manner. Dare I say it ...... The goat was right again. :P

R23 Knights v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #25113

Was Cartwright rested or hurt?
Thats the first question.
The refereeing was of a junior football game standard and this worked for an against both teams.
Hardaker is NOT a first grader and should be playing for Windsor Wolves.

On the game Newcastle gave it a real hot go for about 30 minutes and then just fell apart.

Our execution often was terrible and save for the brilliance of Moylan we wouldn't have scored as many points as we did.

Moylan seems to be enjoying his game atm and his form since SOO was poor until the last 2 weeks where he seems to be injecting himself more into the game.

Carty was either unwell or hurt....i hope neither and was just rested but he looked a little lost in decision making and actions today.

He never kicked (thank god) but he threw a couple of wild passes and made poor decisions in offence.

He was not alone and luckily we played the cellar dwellers but we made dumb mistakes in attack.

Best result was the 6 points given up to Knights.

Other then hoping Carty was not hurt not to much to take out of that game except the 2 points and 42 for.

R23 Knights v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #25114

• mutley
Hook said in the press conference that Cartwright & Merrin were rested for a while

R23 Knights v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #25115

yes just listened to the press conference and that is good news.....no injuries of any concern to any players.

I know this is off topic but just listening to Gould as he speaks during the Roosters v Cowboys game

He has said a number of time the Roosters are the best looking team running 15th he has seen.

I wonder what his thoughts were last Friday when they (Roosters) were lapped by the club paying him a million a year?

Finally this result looks like opening up 6th spot for the Panthers if we can keep winning and the Cowboys and or Broncos lose one of the 3 remaining.

For and against might hurt us but Cowboys look terribly flat

R23 Knights v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #25117

• bab
  • Thank you received: 14
Cartwright was needled up to play he is having issues with the ankle he broke and wasn't expected to play
The following user(s) said Thank You   Pomoz

R23 Knights v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #25118

• Pomoz
  • Thank you received: 204
That explains why he had such a quiet game. I hope he is going to be OK.

Just a quick "well done" to Hook for his half time talk. There have been a number of times we have improved after half time. Whatever it is that he says, it clearly works. It probably shows we start a bit slow and lose concentration.

I said in our preamble we had to start strong and silence the crowd and we did and we didn't. We made a whole bunch of errors and gave away penalties which gave the Knights plenty of possession. That got the crowd going. We then silenced the crowd because in spite of all their possession they could only score one try and that was off a kick and our defence was strong. Our forwards were also clearly dominating the go forward and you could see if we held onto the ball we would dominate. Second half we did. They were running backwards for large patches of the second half and we were busting them through the forwards and getting quick play the balls.

Blake is really responding well to TalentScout's coaching. He even passed the ball for an assist. He had a good game. As did DWZ for the second week in a row. TS needs to work his magic on Peachey now. If we can get him to pass, who knows what this team can do?

Mansour. Just awesome. There was a play in the second half where he hit the line, had four blokes hanging off him and then dragged them 15 metres and even then they couldn't ground him. He must benchpress small family cars in his spare time to get that strong. We should call him "Rhino", because he rampages like one.

Moylan was seeing gaps like they were lit up by runway lights. He constantly fed the ball to a man in space for a break or half break. He also took the line on to keep them honest. As does Cleary, who had another good game.

How good is it after Soward and Walsh to have halves that attack the line (I know Moylan isn't a half, but he is playing as a 5/8th in most of the attacking plays)? Luke and Jamie were known greenies. They didn't like to attack the line and get their shirts dirty so they wouldn't need washing. But now, it is starting to create space for the team because Moylan and Cleary are drawing players in. If the defence doesn't commit they are off. Cleary is quicker than he looks, which is good because Moylan is slower than he looks. Quick between the ears though.

I wish Latu would run harder and not always look for a a bit of ball playing magic. He should try and make good 10m bursts in our own half and do his fancy Dan stuff when we are in the oppositions half. More metres please sir.

R23 Knights v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #25119

• mr walker
  • Thank you received: 129
Well that was certainly a great 2nd half - we are becoming a better 2nd half team :)

Too many errors & penalties in the 1st 40.

Pretty good across the park & we are seeing definite improvements and PLAYING SOME FOOTY :) We have some high class players & some damn hard workers, so a good mix.

We have set ourselves up for a definite chance in run to the finals - let's just enjoy the ride eh?

For the life of me I don't have a clue why the Pom is being named on the bench each week, but that's a just a small issue.

Bring on the tigies Fri night.

Oh, and what the hell happened with the work experience guy?

R23 Knights v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #25120

• Rabbit
  • Thank you received: 60
I think on Hardaker, They are just trying to bring him up to speed on the NRL, Purely as insurance. If we lose another centre just before the semis, we need to be able to slot someone straight in. He'll probably train with them at left and right center, right till the end of our season, but the closer he gets to being ready for NRL will probably mean less time on the field. Increasing to left right out at the start of the semi's. Insurance! Rightly or wrongly, I know it does seem a waste of personnel.

R23 Knights v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #25122

• shazza
  • Thank you received: 162
The most encouraging aspect of yesterday’s record breaking win at Hunter Stadium was the fact that all seven tries were scored by our previously largely dysfunctional 3/4s. I wasn’t privy to what Griffin had to say to the troops at half-time but I’d be amazed if much of his gee-up wasn’t aimed at Bryce Cartwright and his tendency to overplay his hand rather than embrace the important concept of less is often more.
A decisive link player is what’s needed at 5/8 and in the second half that’s pretty much what we got. Ironically, the less Cartwright involved himself in the attack the better our attack functioned. Seven classy tries, all to the outside backs, says it all.

Cartwright is an incredibly gifted footballer but he’s a ball-playing backrower, not a 5/8. Thankfully Te Maire Martin, despite playing in a beaten side on Saturday, is fit and firing and needs to be reinstated to his rightful place in First Grade, sooner rather than later. I’ve watched him carefully in his last couple of outings and he’s a better footballer than even I hoped he’d be. It’s a big call but potentially he’s as good as Cleary and right now Cleary is about as good as it gets.

The first half was a real arm wrestle with a significant points decision going the Panthers way despite the 6-6 scoreline. With a bare 40% of possession, the gritty online defence from Penrith in the opening 40 was absolutely resolute and set the standard for the entire game.

Peter Wallace deadheated with Matt Moylan for MoM honours.

Leilani Latu and Isiah Yeo were the best of an outstanding pack of forwards. Latu, with an eye on the big picture, showed some great touches. He’s not just big and tough but he’s also smart and is developing into a very good ball distributer. He has that uncanny knack that only good footballers have of knowing precisely when to pass and when to punch the ball into the opposition defence.

Isiah Yeo had another outstanding 80 minute game but deserved better results for his sterling efforts on the left side. Unfortunately he was let down on a number of occasions by poor catching from his outside support. None the less he created havoc with the Newcastle defence who were forced to commit in numbers to keep him at bay. Matagi is fast becoming the rock of the Panthers pack. He’s old-school but in a team that’s decidedly short on experience, his strength in attack and defence and his all round solidity is an inspiration to the young players around him. There’s no doubt our forwards looks a lot more settled when he’s on the field.

The 3/4, as a unit, had their best game for the season, their finishing was simply sublime. Cleary was a model of consistency in a game that was all about the outside backs so he let his natural flair take a backseat to the needs of others. His 7 goals from all parts of the ground was a masterclass in competence and composure.
Peachey is anything but a conventional centre but he’s developing into an exceptionally good unconventional one. He’s fast, strong and totally unpredictable which makes him a real handful to defend and almost impossible to completely shut down. Waqa Blake had a largely mistake free game spiced with some examples of absolute brilliance. He’s still very much a work in progress but when he finally gets his act together he could be absolutely anything. Right now I reckon we’re only getting about 70% of his potential. It’s not that he’s not giving 100% it’s just that he hasn’t yet discovered just how good he really is. Something to look forward to.

I have absolutely nothing against Zac Hardaker but for the life of me I can’t see how his continued selection, for a 15 minute cameo, can be justified. The “man of steel” is obviously a very good footballer and I’m sure a really popular, nice bloke - but Moses Leota (2015 Panthers 20’s player of the year), Viliame Kikau (2015 Holden Cup player of the year) and Bryce Cartwright all need places to be found in the front 9 and no-one in the current mix deserves relegation.

Even Ollie Clark, probably still a bit young for the top team, has been in outstanding form in the reserves and would waltz into just about any first grade squad in the competition. You’ve gotta love a prop who tackles like an old school lock.
With 2 new props coming to the club next year, there’s a positive log jam at the top.

It’s lucky Nathan Brown is bald because if he wasn’t to start with he certainly would have been at the end of what must have been an excruciating last 40 minutes. We can’t afford to get too carried away with our result, we didn’t beat much. You can only play what’s in front of you though and Easts certainly franked our form from the week before with a great win over the defending premiers.

shazza

R23 Knights v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #25126

nice summary and whilst we lost some fluidity when the multiple changes were made with Cartwright and Merrin being rested the potency was still there with Moylan playing essentially 5/8th which must have been noticed by more important folks then us.

I hope TMM is selected on Friday night and i would rest Carty.

Its worth noting the only side the Newcastle mob attacked was the Carty,Blake,DWZ side in defence.

Belcher in the game spoke with great common sense about Carty IMO

R23 Knights v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #25127

• Puss
  • Thank you received: 259
..... anyone seen the scout ? :huh:

R23 Knights v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #25128

• Panther Jack
  • It's bad luck i swear.
  • Thank you received: 108
Moylan, Wallace and co. were supreme in the second 40.

Was slightly nervous going into the game but it being 6-6 at half time despite the lop sided possession and penalty count had me pretty much certain we'd win.

Don't think we'll see TMM in first grade again this season, was rusty on the weekend and Griffin probably thinks we'll start to see the perks of the current set up come through.I was willing to get him in for the Tigers game to help stop Tedesco...but...that job is obviously not needed anymore.

Beat Tigers next week and the likely result of Cowboys winning at home against Warriors(don't see them losing four in a row) will mean that with two games remaining we'd be two wins ahead of them with around 100+ F/A in comparison.

Brisbane have some tough clashes left as well so a home(pffft ANZ) final is still a possibility.

Not the best performance but another win chalked up with a decent increase in for and against makes it out to be.

R23 Knights v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #25130

• richo
  • Thank you received: 111
Don't want to detract in any way from our last two wins but the game against the Roosters would have been an entirely different proposition with Mitchell Pearce in the side, particularly given how outstanding he was yesterday and well the Knights tried there best but there results this season speak for themselves.

We have three difficult games to finish in the Tigers, Titans and Sea Eagles and we will have to play better than we did yesterday to be assured of the two points against these sides. The Sea Eagles may have nothing to play for but I hope we don't have to win this game to secure our top eight spot.

R23 Knights v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #25132

• Panther Jack
  • It's bad luck i swear.
  • Thank you received: 108
richo wrote:
Don't want to detract in any way from our last two wins but the game against the Roosters would have been an entirely different proposition with Mitchell Pearce in the side, particularly given how outstanding he was yesterday and well the Knights tried there best but there results this season speak for themselves.

We have three difficult games to finish in the Tigers, Titans and Sea Eagles and we will have to play better than we did yesterday to be assured of the two points against these sides. The Sea Eagles may have nothing to play for but I hope we don't have to win this game to secure our top eight spot.

I like Pearce as a club footballer and i believe he adds a lot to the Roosters when playing, but to be fair we took our foot off the pedal when we were 32 points up.I doubt even Johns in his prime would have guided the Chooks to victory against us.

The last three matches will be tough but i'm quietly confident we'll get by in the Tigers game at the very least.With how the for and against is at the moment winning that game might be all we need to do.

In saying that, if we want to make the finals worth while to us, we should be winning all three matches.

R23 Knights v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #25133

• TalentScout
  • Thank you received: 82
Puss wrote:
..... anyone seen the scout ? :huh:

Present.. :P

You know how I said its hard avoiding the score these days when you record it? :dry:
Well, I ref'd my sons trial game so I didn't know the score, left the radios off, told him not to tell me if he saw it on FB etc.
I blow full time and walk over to the parents to grab my drink.. BOOM! 1 of the mums says "panthers won 42-6..
I hadn't even taken the lid off.!! :woohoo:

When I got home, dinner was ready, I was tired, didn't watch the game till just now. (Watched the raiders v storm last night)

Pomoz wrote:
Blake is really responding well to TalentScout's coaching. He even passed the ball for an assist. He had a good game.

You certainly are a funny man Pomoz. You make me laugh.

I stood up and applauded when he flicked the ball to Dal. (Dal got pummelled near the try line)
THEN, when he drew and passed for the assist.. OMG! :woohoo: he can do it..

Good ole Rocks is adding some diamonds to his play. :P

It didn't look good early for him though. Knights hadn't even had the ball yet and he tackled Mamo without the ball. Mamo wasn't even close to catching it. :whistle: (did he get reported for that?)

R23 Knights v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #25134

• TalentScout
Whenever I watch a game, I watch the 1st 10 sets from both teams closely. (20-22 minute mark)

Our "get out" sets (the area from our try line to the 30-35 with the ball) need variation.
We need to add a "pairs" set or another low risk (short pass) set.
At the moment it's, mansour, Dal, Yeo (or the occasional other forward) running 1 out.

It's an easy read and teams can "jam in" which will allow Nos in tackles, slowing us down. Knights didn't do this, which gave us a good roll on through the ruck and in turn, gave us good field position.

From that field position, we failed to execute on numerous occasions. Or gave away relieving penalties when they had the ball.

Against teams who have a purpose and are finals driven, this could be our downfall.

There is no plan B coming off our line.

In the 1st 10 sets, we gave away 5 penalties.. :woohoo:

Here's how I saw it.
1st set,
Great start, "get out" set, good metres, bomb put up. PENALTY to Knights. Waqa takes out Mamo.

2nd set,
Knock on, Mansour, 2nd tackle, 12mtrs out from our try line.

3rd set,
"Get out" set, Wallace attempts 40/20 on 3rd, ball stays in, Dal and Carty (with some late help from Waqa) drag Mamo in goal, line drop out.

4th set,
Penalty to us, from the above line drop. Buzzer sounded.
Matagi knock on, 2nd tackle, 4mtrs out from knights try line.

Penalty Knights, JFH crowding PTB.

5th set,
Scrum on our 18. One out to halfway, carty loses ball in tackle, ref calls play on, knocked back, latu gives to Waqa (1st touch) who busts some tackles, gets quick PTB near right sideline, Latu at DH, quick ball to Cleary, Cleary early loooong ball to Moylan on the run, Moylan cuts out Yeo to Peachey, Peachey draws winger, mansour scores in opposite corner.. Beautiful play. Well executed!
(Carty lucky to have that call go his way)

6th set,
From kick off. "Get out" set. Bomb on 5th by Moylan 55 away from knights try line.

Penalty Knights, Wallace offside 45 out from knights try line on 4th tackle.

7th set,
"Get out" set, Wallace kicks dead on 4th from our 42.

8th set,
Moylan passes in goal to mansour who gets into FOP (field of play) by 2mtrs.
Get out set, Cleary bombs on 5th just over half way.

Penalty 1st tackle, Flop by Yeo.

9th set,
Scrum, 10 out from our line.
Penalty, high shot on peach. 1st tackle.

10th set,
Good mtrs, run it on 5th, Carty offloads to Knights.
Penalty Knights, Moylan hanging on.

our worst start to any game this season, lucky to go into the break 6-6.

2nd half,
1st 15 minutes similar to the 1st half.
Then, BOOM, floodgates opened.
Some very good tries, created from good field position, execution, and teamwork (as well as some individual brilliance from Peach).

R23 Knights v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #25135

• Rabbit
  • Thank you received: 60
Things I noticed unique from this game.

The stats say all our outside backs broke 5 tackles or more.
Normally it's our forwards winning the games.
The backs looked sensational with the ball in hand, those were some of the best passes by Moylan I have seen from anyone this year.
The saying goes "forwards win matches and the backs decide by how much"
Some comments --
1. The team looked a lot more aggressive running at the line in that game when the game finally opened up, probably because of last week's high scoring win. It was like blood in the water. Unfortunately it manifested into many errors by our guys after they had poked their noses through the line -- then at the last moment realizing they weren't going through -- then doing a hurried offload at the last moment. Everybody seemed to be put off by the change in the style. Timing there runs wrongly. Heaps of crappy passes after a half break.
2. I noticed Newcastle players playing directly at the ball not at the runner in defense. Here what they were doing that I had never seen before in the Nrl. The first tackler going in and latching on to the ball from the side not the front and just dropping like a dead weight, the ball runner then had to drag defender with him. Newcastle did that especially in the first half. As per usual the third player in was going for the ball but it was the way they were doing it they weren't staying on their feet, Just dropping exclusively holding on to the ball. -- I haven't been watching Newcastle games, but I think maybe they have been getting away with it because of their losing ways. (Sympathy Factor). We did the strip thing twice and got penalized twice. I mentioned it because most of our errors came through this and also added to penalties going against us. I'll say again it wasn't one on one strips, the ball was coming away when the ball runner took the body shot from the next couple of defenders. - The first guy inn was still hanging on to the ball like grim death pulling the Panthers to the ground via the ball. I watched the replay today to confirm - we lost all of our ball that way.
I suppose I can see why the refs gave them the benefit of the doubt because if they hadn't, we would of won by 60 or 70. I am not overly concerned because any other teams we play who try to do the same will get pinged soon as the ball comes away.
Opinions.
1. Cartwright looked noticeably quiet. If he played with needles, it could be the perfect time to give him a week off before he goes back into the forwards and bring in TMM.
2. If we beat the Tigers this week and Warriors lose to the Cowboys -- Were In the semis. That will make 4 point spread between us and the chasers with two games to go and The Tigers and Warriors have to play each other round 25.

R23 Knights v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #25136

• Pomoz
  • Thank you received: 204
Well spotted Rabbit. They were obviously trying to shut our offload game down. Our guys normally run with the ball in one hand. We need to counter the "ball tackler" by looking for a fast play the ball and play short passes close to the line making it difficult for the tackler to isolate where the ball is. We have to use short passing to keep the defence in two minds as to who is going to have the ball. One out runs allow the defence to try those type of plays.

They also need to keep the ball closer to their body so it is harder to pull down on it. So, they line up Latu but then he ditches to Yeo, he smashes the line keeping the ball close to his chest so its harder to grip. If the first tackler is the "ball tackler" and he can't grab it easily, he will be stood around not doing much and our guys will be hitting the line and bending it back. Sure it kills our offloads, but it will reduce the effectiveness of their tackling and will minimise our errors.

We could also release the ball and claim the "strip". Need good refs for that though.

R23 Knights v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #25141

• TalentScout
Puss wrote:
..... Dare I say it ...... The goat was right again. :P

We haven't heard from Souf..
Do you think the goat is safe? He may have watched the 1st half and thought we were no chance at 13+.. :dry:

R23 Knights v Panthers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #25142

• TalentScout
Rabbit wrote:
Things I noticed unique from this game.

2. I noticed Newcastle players playing directly at the ball not at the runner in defense. Here what they were doing that I had never seen before in the Nrl. The first tackler going in and latching on to the ball from the side not the front and just dropping like a dead weight, the ball runner then had to drag defender with him. Newcastle did that especially in the first half. As per usual the third player in was going for the ball but it was the way they were doing it they weren't staying on their feet, Just dropping exclusively holding on to the ball..

Good observation Rabbit.
It seems to be the new tackling style.

The other one is, 1 of the defenders holding the "ball carrying arm" of the attacker and staying on his feet while the other defenders drop.
The attackers arm comes free from his body releasing the ball.
No penalty as the defender doesn't have his hand on the ball.
Considered a loose carry. :whistle:
Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by TalentScout.
  • Page: