Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: R24 Panthers v Tigers - Game Day Thread

R24 Panthers v Tigers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #25162

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 146
A massive week of football for the Panthers in all grades. Each game represents a chance to lock up finals football in every grade, and in the case of Holden Cup, secure the minor Premiership.

The NRL face the West Tigers who are also desperate to lock in a spot in the finals. A win to the Panthers will end the Tigers finals hopes and secure their own place in the Top 8. James Tedesco will be omitted from the Tigers squad tonight suffering from a fractured jaw. The Panthers will line up the same 17 that smashed the Knights last week, and will be looking to make it 3 in a row.

The Holden Cup panthers have a chance to lock up the Minor Premiership tonight against the 7th placed Tigers, the Panthers were dealt a blow by a shocking loss to the Knights, but will be given the chance again this week to finish on a strong note and prepare for the finals.

On Saturday the Panthers will face the Bulldogs in a game which will have significant impact on the ladder. A win over Canterbury this weekend will guarantee the NSW Cup Panthers a finals spot, with only one round to play. The Panthers will need to be on their game, they have suffered 3 losses from the last 4 starts, and the Bulldogs can sneak into the finals by winning their final 2 games.

Get out to Pepper Stadium tonight (and on Saturday afternoon) to cheer the boys home, and secure a finals triple treat. Gates open 5:15pm tonight

Broadcast
NRL: Fox Sports 1 (Channel 501) *LIVE* 19/8 7:30pm & Channel 9 *LIVE* 19/8 7:30pm
NYC: No Broadcast
NSW: Hawkesbury Radio 89.9FM (LOCAL) *LIVE* 20/8 3:00pm

This weeks games
Telstra Premiership: Penrith Panthers v Wests Tigers @ Pepper Stadium [PEN 40 d. WST 10]
Holden Cup: Penrith Panthers v Wests Tigers @ Pepper Stadium [WST 22 d. PEN 14]
Intrust Super Premiership: Penrith Panthers v Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs @ Pepper Stadium [CBY 28 d. PEN 22]

Telstra Premiership Full Time

Penrith Panthers 40
(Blake, Cartright, Yeo, Campbell-Gillard, Wallace, Marrin, Fisher-Harris. Cleary 6/7 Goals.) def.
Wests Tigers 10 (Addo-Carr, Moses. Moses 1/2 Goals)

Half Time: Panthers 28 lead. Tigers 4

Holden Cup Full Time

Wests Tigers 22 (Tali 2, Giles, Marsters. Ioelu 3/4 Goals) def.
Penrith Panthers 14 (Crichton, Burns, Hetherington. Luai 1/3 Goals)

Half Time: Tigers 6 lead. Panthers 4

Intrust Super Premiership Full Time

Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs 28 (Perrett 2, Phillips, Montoya, Manuel-Liolevave. Garvey 3/4, Abbey 1/1 Goals) def.
Penrith Panthers 22 (Aunese-Scanlon, Leota, MacKay, Harawira-Naera. Dockar-Clay 3/4 Goals)

Half Time: Bulldogs 18 lead. Panthers 16
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by Steve Tidball.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

R24 Panthers v Tigers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #25164

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
The Panthers also have a chance to lockup the NRL Club Championship. 6 points still left on offer, and the Panthers are in a head to head race with Cronulla to the finish line.

R24 Panthers v Tigers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #25165

• mutley
  • Thank you received: 205
What has happened with our Holden Cup game against the Storm, which was postponed? Big League shows we still have that game in hand? If that game does not get played, or gets awarded as a draw, it could cost us the club championship.

R24 Panthers v Tigers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #25167

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
mutley wrote:
What has happened with our Holden Cup game against the Storm, which was postponed? Big League shows we still have that game in hand? If that game does not get played, or gets awarded as a draw, it could cost us the club championship.

That's a good question, I would imagine they won't play that game as there is no place to play it heading into the finals so I would imagine they would split the difference and call it a draw. That could have some effect over the NRL Club Championship (especially if we fall a point short).

UPDATE: Apparently this game has already been declared a draw.

On a side note, the Panthers Juniors (SG Ball and Harold Matts) and NSW Cup teams also have us in the race to go back to back and win the Flowers Memorial Pennant (NSWRL Championship). It will come down to the wire against the Cutters, 4 points still on offer and 1 point the difference.

Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by Steve Tidball.

R24 Panthers v Tigers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #25168

Yeah screw winning the premiership...Club Championships are where the true legends of the game are created and remembered.

And i am sure there will be a ticker tape parade down High Street if we win the Club Championship...

R24 Panthers v Tigers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #25169

Club Championships just advertise the talent you have for other clubs to poach as you cannot keep them all and Panthers have had a happy knack of letting some great juniors go

When isn't there an important game but this is crucial especially since the Broncos had that win last night....and looked good in patches in making the Dogs look ordinary

The Tigers game is based on speed in what they do and energy in attack.

If we can nullify this by the forwards handing out big hits and giving the likes of Brooks an co less time we will go a long way to winning.........we have to take time away from their halves.

Should be a cracker with no concern of weather and or injuries......we are fielding a core we have fielded now for weeks

We need to win and win well

R24 Panthers v Tigers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #25170

Gone the Panthers to win 13+ in a high scoring affair #juggernaut

R24 Panthers v Tigers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #25171

• TalentScout
  • Thank you received: 82
souf aussie panther wrote:
Gone the Panthers to win 13+ in a high scoring affair #juggernaut

I notice "the goat" didn't make that prediction... :dry:
Did the goat survive last weeks 1st half?? :unsure:

12.20am.. Just back from the game. :whistle:
(Was expecting to read some positive posts... Nothing?) :dry:

Completion rate was pretty good.? I think we dominated possession. :P

Congrats boys. And thanks. Well worth the entry fee. Did a lot of cheering (in my brothers ear. Tigers fan)

I noticed some different tactics tonight. ;) looked good. A bit of variation. Keep em guessing. Nice coaching! *thumbs up*
Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by TalentScout.

R24 Panthers v Tigers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #25172

• TalentScout
Ps: panther Jack
The officiating on the Tigers 1st try was terrible.
Woodsy could follow Hayne into the NFL with that qtr back pass.. ;)

How they missed that one?
Did your tv survive the rest of the game? :huh:

R24 Panthers v Tigers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #25174

• TalentScout
They got this call right though..

Great vision by Moylan to notice space on the right after thinking he got a bad call. Awesome tackle bust and then decisions/execution by Dal, great support by Waqa to finish it. B)
The following user(s) said Thank You   Pomoz

R24 Panthers v Tigers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #25175

• Puss
  • Thank you received: 259
...... some nice Panther moves but gee, we had a lot of ball.

R24 Panthers v Tigers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #25176

Rocks or Diamonds is the best way to describe us and some of our team.
Carty is still making dumb decisions but that said if one comes off in the GF he will be a club legend but just wish he would be more selective when he is creative and thats goes for the team.
Last night when we appeared to be playing to a game plan we looked great but when we went outside this, well we were less then good.
And that last 15 minutes was terrible when everything fell apart and still not sure why we have Hardaker on the bench and comes on late in the game...Hook must have some plan for him in the finals but to be honest i would rather have TMM on the bench then Hardaker.
The Tigers were given no room which is what i had thought would be our plan, our forwards completely dominated them and gave no room for Brooks and Moses although Moses through sheer skill did make some breaks but in the main we contained them easily which is a surprise considering the Tigers had a real incentive to win the game but their season is now over.

For the Panthers it was a solid win again with no obvious injuries out of the game and some nice improvement visible in Blake and DWZ whose workload has increased and making good runs and their combined try from our goal line was a highlight

Moylan appeared to be having "fun" last night and i am excited by the team doing it for their fans and loving the home crowd but that all changes in September when you are not at home and often have a hostile crowd to play in front of.

I like their head space, i like how they are able to adapt and exercise a game plan and how they can respond to the coach at half time
We sure are heading in the right direction with just a couple of subtle tweaks we can make a big impact in the Finals.
Titans next week away which will be very hard as they have Finals footy in their sights as well and will be played like a finals game
This should show us where we are at before the Finals

R24 Panthers v Tigers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #25177

• mr walker
  • Thank you received: 129
Well, that was well worth the entry fee :)

Looked very good all across the park, and outplayed them comprehensively. In a complete team display, it would be a little unfair to name names. Not a bad player.

Low error count & not so many penalties led to dominating possession. A fast track suited our game, and the grunters really dominated. A lot more support players, instead of just one-out runners proved too much for the tiges.

Made the most of our line breaks, and some good defence shut-down most of the chances the tiges had.

Coming good at the business end (5/6), but need to keep it going. After all we play Hayne next week :-)

Once in the play-offs, may depend a lot on who we draw. I think we could beat most of them on our day, but some will be harder than others, particularly where we have to play them.

Last point. We have a versatile team, that can cover most eventualities. When it comes down to sudden death, I really think someone on the bench other than Hardaker will be better value. Be it another forward or maybe TMM, it would just make more sense than an OK outside back.

Good to be a Panther today :lol:

R24 Panthers v Tigers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #25178

• Panther Jack
  • It's bad luck i swear.
  • Thank you received: 108
TalentScout wrote:
Ps: panther Jack
The officiating on the Tigers 1st try was terrible.
Woodsy could follow Hayne into the NFL with that qtr back pass.. ;)

How they missed that one?
Did your tv survive the rest of the game? :huh:

My TV can count its lucky stars that i was actually at the game, i'll say that...
The following user(s) said Thank You   Pomoz, TalentScout

R24 Panthers v Tigers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #25179

• shazza
  • Thank you received: 162
Contrary to what I’m sure most people think on this site, I’m a massive fan of Bryce Cartwright. He’s potentially the most gifted ball-playing backrower the Panthers have ever produced but unfortunately ‘potentially’ doesn’t make it so. A 5/8 he definitely isn’t and if Griffin continues to play him there, the potential he undoubtedly has in abundance, might never be realized. As best as I can make out from a recent interview I saw with Griffin on the subject of Cartwright and his selection at 5/8, the main reason for picking him in the position is because “everyone keeps telling us Bryce isn’t a 5/8 but I think he’s doing a wonderful job”.

Cartwright had a shocker last night and if Griffin stubbornly insists on playing him in the halves then he’s either in complete denial of what’s obvious to anyone with even a modicum of football nous or he’s not as smart a coach as I’d hoped he’d be.

Last night’s emphatic 40-10 win over the Tigers was in spite of Cartwright’s performance at 5/8, certainly not because of it. As talented as he is, Cartwright just can’t get his head around the principle of less is often more and overplaying his hand is fast becoming his stock in trade. Playing at 5/8 he invariably attempts to over finesse every touch of the ball and often something as uncomplicated as simply passing the ball or not, ends in a complete breakdown of the attack. Ball security was supposed to be the watchword for this important clash and yet time and time again Cartwright lost the ball attempting the impossible or unnecessary off-load when simply going to ground for a quick play-the-ball was the obvious/smart decision. Kicking? - we won’t even go there.

Despite an overall poor performance there were, as we’ve come to expect from this ridiculously talented footballer, examples of pure genius.

It was a great night to be a Panther fan, a night that suggested that ambitions of just a top 8 finish could possibly be underestimating this young team’s full potential. I’m not entertaining premiership aspirations but I certainly wouldn’t be ruling out a top 4 finish.

I thought Merrin had a wonderful game, he’s certainly one of our best buys in recent times and rising star Isiah Yeo (exactly the same age as Cartwright) just keeps getting better. I’m not sure if Dubbo qualifies him for Queensland but if it doesn’t he’s got N.S.W. State of Origin player written all over him. Regan Campbell-Gillard, after his injury enforced layoff is right back to his devastating best.

Moylan continues to improve and seems to be getting much more involved in the running of the side and Cleary further pressed his claims for Rookie of the Year honours. His game last night was a consummate example of the previously mentioned less is more principle. Peter Wallace, the cornerstone of our defence and the instigator of our attack delivered his usual 100% performance.

DWZ and Mansour were both seen at their sparkling and powerhouse best and the centres, while still very much a work in progress, showed plenty of attacking flair and made a good job of shutting down the Tigers outside attack. I’d still swap Zelezniak and Blake.

We can’t afford to get ahead of ourselves, West Tigers are not the Gold Coast and next week’s clash with the upwardly mobile Titans, is going to be a huge obstacle to overcome.

shazza

R24 Panthers v Tigers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #25180

• Panther Jack
  • It's bad luck i swear.
Cartwright had a shocker last night?That's bit of a stretch.

Your 5/8 couldn't have played that bad if your team wins by 30 points.

Last night wasn't a case of how bad the Tigers were, but instead a case of how bad we made them play.

We bullied them until they let us score.Ruthless running and countering their sliding defence by having fearless runners come back in side through out the night.Tigers wanted the game to end at half time.Wallace

That's not going into Cleary's tormenting bombs.With the pressure we were applying as well i can guarantee you that Rankin wouldn't be the only fullback to mess up those catches.

That six again call compounded by that shocking let go of the Tigers' forward pass in their first try as someone else described really did ignite the crowd and in a more edgy way to put it, pissed them off.After that Maxwell didn't even have the thought of f***ing us over again.Outstanding.

Guess you could say that hostility helped us not get refereed out of another game...no?Oh this is too much?Sorry, i drifted off topic.Waqa Blake you are the worst player to have ever put on a Penrith jersey. :lol:

R24 Panthers v Tigers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #25181

• richo
  • Thank you received: 111
I'll try and keep it short and concise.

Trent Merrin is just a super footy player and one of the best buys this club has ever made. Player of the year no question (Josh Mansour second).

The back three Moylan, Mansour and DWZ superb as usual.

Waqa Blake if he realises his potential is going to be an amazing player in a season or two. In full flight in open space worth the price of admission alone.

Bryce was Bryce. Capable of the sublime but at the same time as has been pointed out does occasionally play low percentage options which lead to mistakes. He will be so much better next season.

Young Cleary at 18 soon to be 19 has a huge future. He is so mature. Great kicking game and doesn't over play his hand. We have kicked a huge goal with Nathan.

The forwards last night were terrific. Hard to single out one in particular as they all did there job.

When you look at the age of this side. Tamou coming in for 2017 there is some serious competition for places in our forward pack and the sad thing is we have so many great kids who may not even figure unless for unforeseen injuries. (May, Clark, Moses, Kikau to name a few) Unbelieveable depth we have.

Credit to Phil Gould. Yes it has taken time and maybe the five year plan has'nt quite come of fruition but we really do have the making's of a seriously good footy team. A few tweaks here and there. A back up dummy half would be nice given Peter Wallace is not getting any younger but we are in serious good shape and I don't care whom we play in sudden death semi final because if we deliver we can beat just about anybody on our day. (On our day being the key)

It was a good night, even if we switched off a little in that last 20 minutes of so.
Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by richo.

R24 Panthers v Tigers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #25182

• Pomoz
  • Thank you received: 204
Shazza, to say that Cartwright had a shocker is just not right. He scored a try, he made a try, he ran for 124m, made 18 tackles and missed only 1, he made a line break, a line break assist, 5 tackle breaks and and 3 offloads. He did one kick and assisted the chase to turn it into a line drop out. He did one flick pass into touch and that was a clear error. That is a shocker? Just what on earth do you want? Short of cutting the oranges, washing the jerseys and dropping Hooks kids off at the babysitters, I don't know what more he could have done!
The following user(s) said Thank You   Puss

R24 Panthers v Tigers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #25183

• Panther Jack
  • It's bad luck i swear.
Pomoz wrote:
Shazza, to say that Cartwright had a shocker is just not right. He scored a try, he made a try, he ran for 124m, made 18 tackles and missed only 1, he made a line break, a line break assist, 5 tackle breaks and and 3 offloads. He did one kick and assisted the chase to turn it into a line drop out. He did one flick pass into touch and that was a clear error. That is a shocker? Just what on earth do you want? Short of cutting the oranges, washing the jerseys and dropping Hooks kids off at the babysitters, I don't know what more he could have done!

He probably could have checked up on SAP's goat.Poor bugger's been scarily quiet this week. :unsure:

R24 Panthers v Tigers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #25184

• Rabbit
  • Thank you received: 60
1. I noticed Moylan is playing more elusive it seems earlier in the season after he got the captaincy he was trying to play tough, the elusive thing is a lot better for the team.
2. After the Tigers beat us earlier in the season they used a lot of shooters, Jamming our attack and we couldn't score, especially inside the twenty, but we learnt our lesson and turned it back inside and it worked a treat.
3. The stripping of the ball last week by Newcastle last week, I think helped us this week. I think a letter may have been shot off to the referees body. This week any time the Tigers went near the ball it was called 6 again to us, Knock on to them or penalty. It was a 180 degree turn around in perspective by the refs. From ball lost to ball played at.
4. On Cartwright, it seems to me everything good he is doing - a good wide running back rower would do. And all the crappy stuff he is doing is something a pivot would do that hasn't come off. For me Cartwright should be a wide running back rower. He would nearly be in the same position on the paddock as he currently is at 5/8. Just not with the pivot mentality. TMM to 5/8.
5. Blake is scoring a few tries, I should hope so, we have scored 120 points in three games. Saloon passage tries, You actually just have to be standing in the centers and catch the ball which he couldn't do earlier this year.
Not convinced of any footballing talent, Big and fast sure I agree, In the clear he looks brilliant, Looks like a sprinter.
Our forwards are turning defenses into Swiss cheese, Blake still hasn't broken the line. For me a center has to be able to make breaks and beat tacklers to set up his winger. He's never done that!! I don't know if he ever will. Can't see him being in the centers in the Nrl after this season, unless he plays on the wing or in the forwards.
At least he is catching it and not mis-timing his runs.
I hope I am not banished to life in front of the firing squad for making these comments.

R24 Panthers v Tigers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #25185

• bab
  • Thank you received: 14
A shocker? You are a clown

R24 Panthers v Tigers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #25186

• shazza
  • Thank you received: 162
Why trust your eyes when you've got statistics to rely on. Shazza

R24 Panthers v Tigers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #25187

We are putting together a string of wins, so DO NOT change the halves.

DO NOT move Cartwright anywhere.

DO NOT bring in TMM

Do you want me to translate this into Spanish, Chinese and Hindi, and in triplicate, to ensure proper understanding?

By the sounds of things, putting it in braille might be handy too..

We are playing the best footy we have since 2014...perhaps even better than the footy we were playing at the same time of that year..

Even my goat scoffed, kicked, bleated, charged and head butted me at the idea of altering the halves

R24 Panthers v Tigers - Game Day Thread 1 year 5 months ago #25188

i think despite what we may hope for Carty will remain at 5/8th
its just too late now to make any changes with he finals looming

that is to the run on team......i would have TMM on the bench instead of Hardaker as a replacement back so if a centre half or f/b is hurt we can shuffle TMM into the backs.

I just see Hardaker as a mistake waiting to happen in defence and pretty impotent in attack

I think TMM just gives us more options from the bench
Carty has issues but so do a few others but they are learning which is a great thing

We are set to make a finals appearance and hopefully its more then just a game

If things stay close to what is seen we look like playing Storm or Cronulla away from home which will be a daunting task but i hope its Sharks at Cronulla then Storm in Melbourne

With an ounce of luck we could sneak into 6th

R24 Panthers v Tigers - Game Day Thread 1 year 4 months ago #25189

• mr walker
  • Thank you received: 129
steamboatfarmer wrote:
We are set to make a finals appearance and hopefully its more then just a game

If things stay close to what is seen we look like playing Storm or Cronulla away from home which will be a daunting task but i hope its Sharks at Cronulla then Storm in Melbourne

With an ounce of luck we could sneak into 6th

My understanding is that the top 4 play-off in week 1 ie 1v4, 2x3, and the likewise the bottom of the 8 play ie 5v8, 6v7. So if it says as is, we would play Broncs in Bris week 1 - loser eliminated. I think the best we could hope for would be a Sydney game vs Dogs, if that works out, or sneaking into 6th as you say, and getting a 'home' [ANZ] game.
The following user(s) said Thank You   mutley
  • Page: