Switch to desktop Register Login

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Finals Wk1 - Game Day Thread

Finals Wk1 - Game Day Thread 1 year 4 months ago #25367

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 146
The Panthers will kick off their finals campaign with a home semi final..... at Allianz Stadium.

It's all on the line in the Telstra Premiership with an Elimination Final for the NRL Panthers taking on the Bulldogs. These two teams have looked polar opposites in the last weeks, the Panthers on a 5 game winning streak and the Dogs on a 3 game losing streak, but be sure that both team will ignore all this as the finals are a different beast all together. The Panthers are name 1-17 from last week, and the Bulldogs welcome back Sam Kassiano to the forwards pack, and Will Hopoate missing this clash. Expect this game to go down to the wire. Kickoff is at 4pm.

The Holden Cup will play a qualifying final against the Sharks today, looking to get a much needed week off and secure a playoff spot for the Holden Cup grand final. The Panthers form has been mixed the past weeks, but have had some strong displays the past couple of the weeks. The last time these two teams met it resulted in a 34-34 draw. Don't expect the Sharks to go down easy in this encounter. Kickoff is at 1:30pm

Broadcast

NRL: Fox Sports 1 (Channel 501) *LIVE* 11/9 4:00pm
NYC: Fox Sports 1 (Channel 501) *LIVE* 11/9 4:00pm

This Weeks games

Telstra Premiership: Penrith Panthers v Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs @ Allianz Stadium [PEN 28 d. CBY 12]
Holden Cup: Penrith Panthers v Cronulla Sutherland Sharks @ Allianz Stadium [PEN 28 d. CRO 6]

Telstra Premiership Full Time

Penrith Panthers 28 (D Watene-Zelezniak, Blake, Wallace, Peachey, Mansour Tries. Cleary 4/6 Goals) def.
Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs 12 (Mbye, Perrett Tries. Mbye 1/1, Perrett 1/1 Goals.)

Half Time: Bulldogs 6 lead. Panthers 4

Holden Cup Full Time

Penrith Panthers 28 (Blore, Izzard, Brown, Egan, Tuisese, Burns Tries. Edwards 2/6 Goals.) def.
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks 6 (Brailey Tries. Williams 1/1 Goals.)

Half Time: Panthers 6 draw. Sharks 6
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by Steve Tidball.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Finals Wk1 - Game Day Thread 1 year 4 months ago #25368

well there is a lot to learn out of yesterdays game Raiders v Sharks.......Raiders threw everything at the Sharks in the first 40 and come the second half they were a spent force.

Whether it was youth, inexperience poor coaching or a combination of both the raiders were unbelievable in the first 40 but that was it.....nothing left in the tank for the second half

Our boys must take a lot out of this today.......Bulldogs only know how to grind and our team will be full of energy hut hope Hook talks about the Raiders result.

We need to be clinical and measured and when their big forwards tire we should cut loose.

No excuses today with weather or injuries but as yesterday also showed its how a team responds to events on the field if someone gets a head knock or other injury

Should be a beauty!

Re:Finals Wk1 - Game Day Thread 1 year 4 months ago #25369

4-6 at half time, not too bad. We defiantly had the momentum at the end of the 1st half. Keep it up boys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re:Finals Wk1 - Game Day Thread 1 year 4 months ago #25370

10-6 penrith in front, go boys!

Re:Finals Wk1 - Game Day Thread 1 year 4 months ago #25371

28-12 full time. What a game. Despite us being behind at half time, we were always in front with momentum. Way to go team. 100% effort for everybody.

I'm now waiting in the queue for the bus back to central. I can feel a chant coming on for the bus ride back lol

The following user(s) said Thank You   Pomoz

Re:Finals Wk1 - Game Day Thread 1 year 4 months ago #25372

• Puss
  • Thank you received: 259
...... a very good win yet it won't be any easier next week.

The team is playing as a team and slotting in some very fine footy indeed.

Belong, believe has been resurrected on the back on some fine youngsters who have faith in their ability and teammates.

I hope Waqa's shoulder is ok. All in all, great to be a Panther tonight.

Re:Finals Wk1 - Game Day Thread 1 year 4 months ago #25373

What a game, we controlled it from start to finish despite trailing at half time. Thanks to a ticketek stuff up, ended up sitting amongst the dogs in bay 33 instead of with the panthers, but had fun none the less. So much for a home game, thanks for nothing nrl. But as for the game what a performance! 1,6,7 and 9 were again exceptional. No weakness across the park. No idea who got motm, but I thought mansour's effort was exceptional

Re:Finals Wk1 - Game Day Thread 1 year 4 months ago #25374

• Bryan
  • Thank you received: 45
Glorious, glorious, GLORIOUS 2nd half.

We were being monstered by the Dogs' pack in the middle of the first half. The pack will need to aim up better next week, and Cartwright's defence one-on-one against M'bye was a worry.

Having said that, Matagi was a beast, Merrin & Latimore were very strong, and the entire backline was stellar. Great, daring, free-flowing attack, a joy to watch, the way footy should be, but so often isn't.

Hope Blake's OK. Gees, he was terrific.

Like Puss said, it's great to be a Panther tonight!!! :) :) :)

Re:Finals Wk1 - Game Day Thread 1 year 4 months ago #25375

We may have been most weed in the middle 20 of the first, but held our line (for the most part). As for the first 20 of the second, that was were we won the game.

Re:Finals Wk1 - Game Day Thread 1 year 4 months ago #25376

• Pomoz
  • Thank you received: 204
Here are my five key points from the game:

1. Beaten but not bowed. There was a point in the first half where the Dogs had us pinned in our own 20 and were smashing us in gang tackles. At that point I began to fear for our chances as we struggled with the intensity of finals football. Then the team seemed to shake itself off and put their heads down and get back into the contest. Firstly the backs did a few hit ups to get the team rolling forward and then our forwards got their second wind and started to take hit ups again. They were smashed but hung in there and weren't intimidated by the occasion. Our team has ticker.

2. There is no substitute for skill. The Dogs are all about brute force and they try to smash you into the ground and roll over the top of you. When that doesn't work, then they are done. They just don't have the skill levels to play football like the Panthers. Our footwork and passing are at a different level from the Dogs who basically play one out football for most of the game.

3. Moylan has raised his game to another level. In the last few weeks Moylan has carved teams up with his running and passing. Against the Dogs he pulled them apart and created space for his backs who were only too happy to revel in the space. He really is starting to look like every inch an elite player. That said he couldn't catch tadpoles with a net for a period in the first half and stood by and watched bombs bounce rather than contest for the ball. Wouldn't you just love to see how he would go as a full time 5/8th?

4. Duty of Care for Safety. DWZ got hit in the head twice in the same tackle, leading to his nose bleeding and yet no penalty was given. With blood streaming from his nose as evidence of foul play, the refs ignored what was in front of their own eyes. Where is their duty of care? I'm sure they wouldn't like Tony Williams to smack them in the nose and have people say "sorry, nothing to see here". Not good enough.

5.Footy for fun. I watched the Cowboys vs Storm game and I knew that this would not be our year (happy to be proved wrong, but they are both too good). Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I hate the way the Storm play the game. Anti football. They may win and eventually become premiers but if I wanted to watch grown men rush up quickly and wrestle people I would watch WWF. Turgid. Shit on a stick. Dull and intense so the other team cannot play. Mr Bellamy, you can put your style of play where the don't shine. The Panthers play with a joi de vivre that brings a smile to your face. Skill, daring and played as though they are having fun the Panthers will get the turnstiles clicking. The Storm are AFL's "best advert" for the dark side. They may be brilliant, but they are duller than a documentary on "Bookkeeping through the ages".

How good can this team be? It is sometimes easy to forget that the vast majority of this side is inexperienced and barely out of the u20's. They haven't even physically matured yet. A few more off seasons for the likes of Blake, Cartwright, Yeo and JFH is going to build a team of warriors that will be big, fast and incredibly skilful. Imagine JFH with more muscle and strength? Meanwhile, down in the u20's there are more stars rolling down the production line...........
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by Pomoz.
The following user(s) said Thank You   mr walker, Kevin

Finals Wk1 - Game Day Thread 1 year 4 months ago #25377

• Panther Jack
  • It's bad luck i swear.
  • Thank you received: 108
That was so delicious.

Reynolds crying on the Bulldogs bench, Bulldogs players blowing up at each other, Mansour and Moylan running absolute riot on them and those bastard Canterbury supporters being shut the hell up.

People are going to quiz me on it, but the fact that Morris' try wasn't even looked at makes it unlikely it would have even been given with the on field call had it went to the bunker.Always was a double movement, if anything we were dudded of a penalty but we scored the next set anyway through THAT awesome Wallace try.

I don't really know what else to say, everyone was outstanding.Worn out Dogs in the first 40 and destroyed them in the next 40.

Penrith controlled the tempo very well and along with Moylan's smarts to get the sideline penalty, made us a very formidable side through out the game.Bulldogs got away with plenty early on but i always believed we were going to rise above it anyway.Wallace was terrific, his passion after his try was on show for the whole world to see.

Raiders will be without Hodgson next week and Austin, if in, won't be at his best.If we play supreme footy again we very well could be heading back to the Prelims.

Well, i'm off to plan for my trip to Canberra to see our destined title winners put in another top shift.

F*** you Bulldogs!!!!

Re:Finals Wk1 - Game Day Thread 1 year 4 months ago #25378

Good posts here by all, obviously I ah d a bit more to drink at the game than most lol.

As for Morris's no try- yes I agree, it was obviously a dog blue movement. Don't know why the media are harping on about it.

As for the crowd : 22,500 ish, we could of hosted it at Penrith, and it would have been a genuine home game.

I take it was a coaches call to not kick in goal, but instead run it on the last, great call despite some calling it errors.

Also, kudos for the coaching benching Blake when he had a niggle. Smart play when we have hardaker on the bench

The following user(s) said Thank You   Steve Tidball

Finals Wk1 - Game Day Thread 1 year 4 months ago #25379

• Goonji
  • Thank you received: 33
Brilliant absolutely brilliant. Fantastic win Panthers love the way you play. So satisfying after the Dogs kicked us out in 2004 and 2014. Good to get one back. So many good players across the park but Mansour was my man of the match. Such an exciting team.

Finals Wk1 - Game Day Thread 1 year 4 months ago #25380

• richo
  • Thank you received: 111
Great win.

Amazing atmosphere at the game and after our tries in the second half our crowd raised the roof. Great to be a part of it.

Only want to think to today for now.

Will start thinking about the Raiders and our travel plan tomorrow.

Finals Wk1 - Game Day Thread 1 year 4 months ago #25381

Sitting in Bay 37 with all the Panthers supporters was sensational but the crowd was very ordinary in numbers imo.....and to the Under 20's boys who were clinical and even took the time to walk over to where the Panther supporters sat and thanked all supporters as did the NRL side at the end of the game......shows they know fans are there and they respect the fans....that is brilliant

On the game........Hooks game plan was masterful and simply it was to keep the Dogs playing with little to no breaks and that meant running the ball on 5th tackle and if we didn't score was to finish deep into corners when the dogs had to keep playing, no breaks between sets for their big boppers and they were falling apart and down in the middle of the second half and we were all over them

The team were great despite some poor calls again going against us, like the high hit on DWZ plus a few more but this game reminded me of the Raiders v Sharks game where Bulldogs tried to belt us in the first 40 aka Raiders and we withstood it, scored close to half time and went on with it in the 2nd half.

A lot to like about our composure and intent.....we were really focussed.

The whole team were the collective MOM but as mentioned already Moylan is showing he is the best full back in the comp but there is a kid in the Under 20's who is not too bad either.

Cleary was great but Mansour was unbelievable and he has to be the best winger in the NRL right now.

And lastly on Waqa......this kid is growing into his role and his development has been nothing short of amazing and how he stayed on the paddock with a crook arm (hopefully a burner) is beyond me and he tackled bravely and passed with skill even though he was having difficulty with his arm.

This if nothing else showed me he is a kid with courage and says a big statement about this team and group of boys.

They stick in it ...together.

And Merrin showed me something yesterday as well.....he came over to the Panthers supporters late and he couldn't stop smiling and clapping the supporters.

That says a lot to me about a man who is clearly hitting great form and is loving what he is doing at our Club.

And to the supporters who travelled a long ay to get to this game.....well done

This legend is just unfolding.......we have a very special bunch of boys in this Panther team......and all things being equal we are destined to meet Storm in Melbourne to make it through to the Grand Final.

A promoters dream.......Panthers v Sharks Grand Final in their 50th year in the competition?????
The following user(s) said Thank You   mr walker

Finals Wk1 - Game Day Thread 1 year 4 months ago #25384

• mr walker
  • Thank you received: 129
Still hoarse in the throat, 24 hours later.

Great display - so proud to be a Panther. Kudos to the travelling band of supporters who made the trek. Loud & proud.

Our team have heart and class & have surpassed all expectations & every week is a bonus. Can we go further? Dare to dream!!!

Re:Finals Wk1 - Game Day Thread 1 year 4 months ago #25385

Do I dare to dream - yes I do!

In 2010 we punched above our weight, and our attack was one dimensional.

In 2014 we were racked with injury, and despite a brave and courageous effort (will smith take a bow), we fell short.

This year, we are in form. Our attack is multi-dimensional, our heart is there. Our team play for each other, and us the fans. While we have (at least) 4 first graders unavailable, there is none I would swap for the current 17 (except for RCG).

Yet we have talent to spare who are not on the 17. The fact we are playing so well to keep Martin out of the 17 speaks volumes for our skill and professionalism.

At the beginning of the year, I thought one of our key challenges was coming up to speed with the new interchange rules. And how have we responded - but to build our forwards into 80 minute players. Quite the contrast to 03 when we changed four forwards at the 20 and 60 minute marks.

I too am still horse from yesterday. I recall similar from the roosters game in 14. But this year is different.

And to think that next year we have tamour, it's hard to think we can get better.

Will this be easy - of course not, these are Nrl finals after all. Canberra are dangerous, and Melbourne are our bogey team.

However do I dare to dream?

Yes I do!

The following user(s) said Thank You   Steve Tidball, mutley, Pomoz, mr walker