Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Finals Wk2 - Game Day Thread

Finals Wk2 - Game Day Thread 1 year 4 months ago #25396

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 146
The Panthers are two games away from their first grand final since 2003. It won't be an easy task though, as the trek south to the nations capital to brave the cold damp conditions that await.

A convoy of buses leave Penrith this morning to cheer on the boy in a game that will prove to be a tough entertaining contest. Canberra and Penrith are teams who like to play an exciting brand of football and both wouldn't look out of place in the Grand Final.

The Raiders have named Josh Hodgson and Blake Austin to play this afternoon but would unlikely to be 100%, Clay Priest will be a late withdrawal.

The Panthers Waqa Blake and Sitaleki Akauola are in doubt after reports that they make be late withdrawals.

If you haven't made plans already, get down to Canberra Stadium and cheers our boys home.

Broadcast

NRL: Fox Sports (Channel 501) *LIVE* & Channel Nine *LIVE* @ 17/9 7:30pm

This weeks game

Telstra Finals Series: Canberra Raiders v Penrith Panthers @ GIO Stadium - 17/9 7:50pm
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by Steve Tidball.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Finals Wk2 - Game Day Thread 1 year 4 months ago #25407

not sure about Austin and Hodgson on their selection but this is a winner takes all game so you have to roll the dice
sadly we have lost Blake or so says Gould in a tweet....a bit of skullduggery????

IF he is out we will need to lift and have a big game which i suspect will be similar to the Bulldogs game

It looks like the players are trusting and believing in the game plan......they need to do the same tonight

Sorry i am not at the ground to watch what will be a beauty between 2 teams aka last night who are fighting for survival in the finals

Go The Panthers..........if its close at half time we will get them

And to all those fans who have made the journey to Canberra.....a very big thank you.....well done!
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by steamboatfarmer.

Re:Finals Wk2 - Game Day Thread 1 year 4 months ago #25408

• kyussian
  • Thank you received: 5
I just hope the boys packed their extra long sprigs. We seem to slip an awful lot & Canberra is the place where it's guaranteed to happen!

Good luck boys!! We're all right here with you!!

Re:Finals Wk2 - Game Day Thread 1 year 4 months ago #25410

Carty is key tonight.......Hardaker is now outside him and Cartys defence laterally is terrible.

I guess thats where they will run and Hardaker will need to really be "our man of steel' to hold the line

Only forwards on the bench......will we want to keep it there?

Re:Finals Wk2 - Game Day Thread 1 year 4 months ago #25411

12 -0 at half time yet we are not out of it
but they have 12.....we need to lift and get yardage and get their big boppers running backwards

i think whoever scores next wins.........if we get to 6....they will panic

we have had little to no ball and made silly mistakes

Time to unleash boys.....time to unleash

Re:Finals Wk2 - Game Day Thread 1 year 4 months ago #25412

well we have given them 18
if we do not score next this could get ugly
that being said both of these teams on what i have seen tonight will not worry the Storm

Re:Finals Wk2 - Game Day Thread 1 year 4 months ago #25413

well we have lost but they were less then average and we were worse

we saved our worse game for last

Storm will eat them up

disappointing to spot a team 18 points and have to come back from that

Re:Finals Wk2 - Game Day Thread 1 year 4 months ago #25414

MOTM Cummins
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by Lismore Panther.

Re:Finals Wk2 - Game Day Thread 1 year 4 months ago #25415

Canberra played well, but the refs won the game. As for us, second half was good, but the first was frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re:Finals Wk2 - Game Day Thread 1 year 4 months ago #25416

i wouldn't say that...we leaked 18 points and to be honest i think we played our GF last week

That being said some of our key players went missing and we just couldn't bend their defensive line

Our forwards gave no room for our backs to explore the Raiders

The Storm will easily account for them next week

Go Storm!
The following user(s) said Thank You   mutley

Finals Wk2 - Game Day Thread 1 year 4 months ago #25417

Perhaps come February 2017, we set aside 10 or so minutes every Tuesday afternoon, to develop/practice a kicking game inside our opponents 20 meter line.

i know we thought we could win a comp in 2016 without one..... but that was just a bit silly....

...wasn't it.

Re:Finals Wk2 - Game Day Thread 1 year 4 months ago #25418

• Bryan
  • Thank you received: 45
We turned over too much ball at key times. In both halves, when we were building pressure, a forward pass or a dropped ball sucked all the momentum out of our attack.

Having said that, when we came back from 18 - nil to 18 - 12, I was rapt. With a bit of luck - and minus 2 high shots from Fisher-Harris - we might have got back to 18 - all. But, what a great effort the side put in. When the Raiders scored early in the 2nd half, I was dreading 30 plus to nil. Instead, they clawed their way back into it, and could have won. The reason they didn't win was just because it wasn't their night - which covers referee's decisions, bounce of the ball, etc.

We have a really gutsy side. I couldn't be prouder, not even if they'd won.
The following user(s) said Thank You   hivnoh holova, Pomoz, kyussian

Finals Wk2 - Game Day Thread 1 year 4 months ago #25419

there are a lot of comments to make and to analyse going forward......tonight isn't the night to talk about next year

congrats to the boys for being in the 8 and to giving the raiders a fright

There is and will be a lot more to be said but tonight is to thank the Team........... The Supporters and we would have no team without our great Sponsors such as Oak, Hertz etc

Enjoy a beer boys.......you deserve it

Re:Finals Wk2 - Game Day Thread 1 year 4 months ago #25420

• Panther Jack
  • It's bad luck i swear.
  • Thank you received: 108
And there's still going to be complete morons that think the officials don't have it in for us.Hahahahahahahahahahahaha.

I know what will be banged on about though."But we lost it for us", minus the awful officiating and you would be bringing up Canberra's stats and start saying the same thing for them.

Accept it.We were absolutely robbed.R-O-B-B-E-D.

I warned us and got laughed at."Imagine if this happens against us in a semi-final.", uh-oh.

Get rid of the modest approach Penrith fans.Nice guys always finish last.

Very proud of you Penrith.Looking forward to next season with Tamou coming in and others coming back from injury.

But until we start sending a message to officials, our cowardice will prevent us from doing anything of true value.

I expect such well thought out replies to my sounding out of common sense.

Re:Finals Wk2 - Game Day Thread 1 year 4 months ago #25421

• Darren
  • Thank you received: 13
Cummins hates us and is such a chicken shit hometown Harry. What a disgraceful referee .
Good....Good let the butthurt flow through you.

Re:Finals Wk2 - Game Day Thread 1 year 4 months ago #25422

• brown
  • Thank you received: 4
well said panther jack though beaten by a better side on the night ref was terrible bunker also giving that a try he lost the ball we will come good

Re:Finals Wk2 - Game Day Thread 1 year 4 months ago #25423

All in all a very good year for us. Club champions as well. I won't get into tonights game because I'm still seething over the officials. 7-1 penalty count last 12 minutes :sick: Going to the Titans game was a highlight for me as I live about an hour away from cbus and we didnt get to play them last year there. I still don't understand Griffin playing only 3 bench players..........gives the other team a big advantage especially if we've made plenty of tackles and need fresh players on the field. Anyway good luck to the u20's and I hope the green turds get smashed next week. Especially Paulo who picked on a little 18yo kid all night ;)

LP
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by Lismore Panther.

Finals Wk2 - Game Day Thread 1 year 4 months ago #25424

• Rabbit
  • Thank you received: 60
Sometimes it's just not your night there was a lot of 50/50 calls, everything going against us including, in the second half when ;-
1. Akauola being penalized after the refs said "play on", if it's a not a reportable offence they can't penalise after a "play on" call.
2. Grevsmuhl didn't strip that ball at the end
3. Leilua drop the ball before he kicked it when Peachey was caught in the in goal.
4. Croker scored on the leg not on the ground then there was separation and didn't regather control.
That's why you have to finish top 4 take the refs out of the game.

That stripping of the ball which is always contentious -- Every single time that went against us.

-- At the beginning of the game our kicks - it seemed like the ground was hard and they just bounce up and forward then when they did the same thing the ball stays in play. "lucky" - too many lucky plays and bad calls against us.

Rugby league matches are about momentum. They probably had seventy Minutes and we had ten. Momentum wise. We had too many momentum killer moments. The ones mentioned above, Including that Rapana try before half time and the Akauola penalty at the start of the half. We didn't see the ball for 6 minutes after that.

It showed the Panthers were playing well, in a general sense. If the bounce of the ball had of went our way the game would of been over by half time.

Finals Wk2 - Game Day Thread 1 year 4 months ago #25425

• Puss
  • Thank you received: 259
..... what a load of 'clap'!

an ugly, ugly game. Disappointed we finished what has been an exciting year in that shemozzle!

Finals Wk2 - Game Day Thread 1 year 4 months ago #25426

• TalentScout
  • Thank you received: 82
Our game management was terrible.

Did we even try a set piece? :dry:
Not one repeat set.
No pressure being built.

It seemed we weren't up for it mentally. Disappointing way to finish what has been a pretty good season.

Finals Wk2 - Game Day Thread 1 year 4 months ago #25427

TS all of what you highlight hasn't been there all year so hard to produce it last night

We have basically been a reactive team rather then a pro active team.

Finals Wk2 - Game Day Thread 1 year 4 months ago #25428

• Griggsy
  • Thank you received: 22
A very disappointing game that was no where near the standard of last week against the dogs. Not sure what happened but it did not have the same feeling. Yeo was outstanding in the second half after coming back on from a head knock. His runs were what started getting us on the front foot and allowed us to get over the line. Bring on 2018

Finals Wk2 - Game Day Thread 1 year 4 months ago #25429

• mr walker
  • Thank you received: 129
Very proud of the efforts by the boys and the fans that travelled en masse to the game. We were loud & proud until the very end & then again after the game. Kudos to the boys coming over to the fans - we know you were hurting & disappointed with the result, but to make the effort when you have lost shows great respect. That final chant from the fans, several minutes after full-time shows that Panthers have real class.

It was just not our night. Basically every call & bounce of the ball went against us, including a couple of disgraceful decisions. The signs that the RL gods were agin us came from Cleary's 1st kick after a tough first set. Perfectly slotted between FB and W, and it just went on & on & gave them a 7 set, which set us up for a tough next period.

When the youngster slotted the conversion to get us to 6 behind, the raiders fans fell silent and must have been thinking, here we go again. At that moment I thought, we are going to do it.

Alas, in the end too many errors, a lack of troops and the power of the raiders big boppers proved too much on the night. It was a very quiet ride home on the bus, and it's raining today, but I guess the sun did rise this morning so it's all good. Plans for how the hell we were going to get to Melb for the game have been shelved :)

Onwards & upwards.
The following user(s) said Thank You   mutley, hivnoh holova

Finals Wk2 - Game Day Thread 1 year 4 months ago #25430

• richo
  • Thank you received: 111
We certainly did not do ourselves any favours with our mistake's, particularly handling errors, at least three times we coughed up the ball on our second tackle. Having said that it was a game where crucial decisions and the luck of the bouncing ball did not go our way. As had been said here and elsewhere some of the strip / no strip calls all went the way of the Raiders and they were critical. Instead of getting a penalty and going on the attack we are rather defending our own line. There were three of four such calls that went against us when they could or should have gone our way.

In relation to coach Griffin his use of our bench is the one area that mystifies me. Pisses me off really. Young JFH gave away two 'high shot' penalties late in the game which effectively ended our charge back into the game. You could argue he was fatigued and he clearly was from what I saw at the game. A better use of our interchange bench, JFH getting a breather, means a less fatigued JFH late in the game and chances are no tired/fatigued high shots. Having an unused more than capable bench forward is inexcusable in my opinion.

The dust has settled and I would acknowledged the Raiders deserved there win on the day, but even though we did not play to our best we got ourselves back in the game and for a short time were well on top before decisions/luck did not go our way and our chance was gone.

Finals Wk2 - Game Day Thread 1 year 4 months ago #25431

• Panther Jack
  • It's bad luck i swear.
  • Thank you received: 108
The 'mistakes' a lot of the time were the result of Canberra players always having their hands over the ball when tackling, in the ruck and getting up from the ruck.Which we never got penalties for from Canberra Cummins.

And whenever we attempted to slow down the ruck or Raiders lost the ball just because their handling was poor, we'd get penalised for it.

Out of the almost dozen times there were 50/50 strip/knock on calls, the only time we got one go our way was because of a bunker ruling.Absolutely zero from on field calls, that's f***ing diabolical.

And that's without going into getting penalised after the fact even though it's well documented it can only be done for offences that are worthy of being on report(so much for Dallin getting his nose obliterated by two Bulldogs players last week) which led to Canberra going further in front after the break, the officials calling advantage was played and giving the ball back to Canberra anyway when they knocked on which led to a try, or the fact that Croker can now ground the ball on our players' legs to score tries.What an absolutely shameful display of refereeing.

I can, with the utmost comfort, say that the reason we lost last night was because of how the game was handled by Cummins, Sutton and of course the bunker.Not any of this modesty hunting "we just weren't good enough" rubbish.

Our last away win under that muppet Cummins came against Manly in 2009.He needs to be pushed off a cliff.
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by Panther Jack.
  • Page: