Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: R7 Panthers v Sharks - Game Day Thread

R7 Panthers v Sharks - Game Day Thread 8 months 23 hours ago #25964

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 146
This weeks games
Telstra Premiership: Penrith Panthers v Cronulla Sharks @ Pepper Stadium - 16/4 4:00pm
Holden Cup: Penrith Panthers v Cronulla Sharks @ Pepper Stadium - 16/4 1:45pm
Intrust Super Premiership: Penrith Panthers v Newtown Jets @ Pepper Stadium - 16/4 11:45am

Broadcast
NRL: Panthers v Sharks - Fox League (Channel 502) LIVE & FTA Channel Nine LIVE

Tickets
Avialable at the gate or via Ticketek
Last Edit: 8 months 23 hours ago by Steve Tidball.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

R7 Panthers v Sharks - Game Day Thread 8 months 17 hours ago #25965

• Pantheranne
  • Thank you received: 6
Not good enough. they need to shorten the plays
up. They lack direction. Need a lot more effort in the second half. Wallace should be captain. Hopefully the second half is better

R7 Panthers v Sharks - Game Day Thread 8 months 17 hours ago #25966

Hopefully we can turn that around in the 2nd half.........but gee we are a poorly coached side. Effort is there but execution 1/10.

LP

R7 Panthers v Sharks - Game Day Thread 8 months 17 hours ago #25967

• Griggsy
  • Thank you received: 22
1. Cleary' kiskcs are awesome but are useless unless there are 2-3 chasers

2. Waqa Blake is much more explosive from centre. He is a waste on the wing and Dean Whare needs to be somewhere else.

3. Great metres from Merrin.

4. Tamau, really. Are we contracted to give home a certain amount of minutes per week?

R7 Panthers v Sharks - Game Day Thread 8 months 17 hours ago #25968

The good: welcome back peachey, Yo is our best, Merrin may be finding form. Great crowd

The bad: we ware not coached or captained

The ugly: enough has been said about JT

I hope we can turn it around. The weather is nice here on the hill

R7 Panthers v Sharks - Game Day Thread 8 months 16 hours ago #25969

• Griggsy
Not sure what makes me laugh more. Krusty the clown or the Penrith Panthers coaching staff.

R7 Panthers v Sharks - Game Day Thread 8 months 16 hours ago #25970

• Griggsy
Griffen has to be the next coach to go.
The following user(s) said Thank You   hivnoh holova, Southernhillfan

R7 Panthers v Sharks - Game Day Thread 8 months 16 hours ago #25971

Royce Simmons may be able to start next week.

Seriously though, what a pathetic performance. Doesn't griffin belive in preparing the team to play the opposition. It's not like we haven't seen cronulla' dour, spoiling game before.

R7 Panthers v Sharks - Game Day Thread 8 months 15 hours ago #25972

On the bright side, 15.7k was a good crowd, and the sunset was very pretty.

Pity I feel this is the sunset on season 2017.

I do know it's only April, but unless major changes are made, I just can't see us turning this around.

At the moment the wooden spoon looks closer than than the finals, let alone the premiership.

R7 Panthers v Sharks - Game Day Thread 8 months 15 hours ago #25973

• Puss
  • Thank you received: 256
..... very poor performance against the reigning premiers.
What did we expect, they'd roll over and give up, wrong. :ohmy:

R7 Panthers v Sharks - Game Day Thread 8 months 15 hours ago #25974

• Rabbit
  • Thank you received: 60
You're not wrong about the coach. Commentators keep saying the Panthers have a great attacking team but the truth is they have on average the best tackle busting or tackle evading team on a individual level in the comp.
If you take that into account ????????

It's like they are trying to reinvent the wheel. Everybody who plays rugby league above under 14s level knows you can't throw the ball side to side without going forward.
You can score going side to side but only against teams that have lost their resolve or a crap defensive team.
The better teams are going to make you look stupid.
The other teams know we have just one plan.
We are St George from last year - Beyond crap. - It's just humiliating and depressing.
Cooper Cronk on the Sunday ticket gave it to Penrith. "Said they had no plan in attack and definitely no plan B" He should know.

P.s the Panthers are consistent 1. Win the arm wrestle 2. Set up camp on the oppositions line. 3. Chuck the ball everywhere for set after set. 4 Finally make an Error and drop your heads 5. Let the opposition score a long range try or Give away a penalty and let the opposition score on their very first set on our line. 6. Repeat until you're out of the game.

The attack is not rocket science. Just watch what the better attacking teams are doing this year and copy.
St George have got three tactics. 1. On the oppositions line put three kickers in the front line ready to grubber behind the line.
2. Fake to grubber behind the line throw it out wide.
3. Fake to grubber - fake to throw it out the back line. Hit one of the forwards out wide running against the grain of the defense.
4.The opposing defenses now don't know whether their coming or going - do we slide, cover the kick, What. Everybody in the opposition are on the back foot. St George is doing this with a team full of rejects.

As opposed the Panthers one trick pony attack with world class players - throw it side to side which is not even a trick.

Another big crowd at home - They lose every single time!! It's amazing anyone stays. If you turn up and there is a big crowd at home, It's going to be a horrible night. Every time.
The following user(s) said Thank You   Lismore Panther

R7 Panthers v Sharks - Game Day Thread 8 months 14 hours ago #25975

• Pantheranne
  • Thank you received: 6
After last year I had hope that 2017 would be a good year. I was concerned when the "experts" had us a premiership contenders however dared to dream. After tonight's performance doubt we will make the top 8.
Except for Wallace, Merrin and DWZ, very few players showed any commitment tonight. It was a poor performance all round and indicates the coach may have lost the dressing room.

R7 Panthers v Sharks - Game Day Thread 8 months 14 hours ago #25976

I think Cooper Cronk knows what he's talking about. The kickers seem that scared to put the ball over the dead ball line that they kick it way to short and ineffective. Sharks on the other hand do the opposite. Their first try is a classic example of that. An aggressive kick into the in goal and if they don't score they get a repeat set. All the good teams build pressure by their kicking game. We offer a softly weighted kick that doesnt even make it into the in goal time and time again because they don't want to kick it dead. We have a half that has one of the best kicking games in the comp but he isn't allowed to play to his strengths. Having Hiku on the bench is as successful as having Hardaker on the bench last year. A waste of a position. Another thing that hasn't been addressed since last year is the missed tackles. It's very concerning.

Gee I hope this is not gonna be another Elliot type era........but it's looking familiar.

LP

R7 Panthers v Sharks - Game Day Thread 8 months 13 hours ago #25977

• Rabbit
Even next week if we started grubbering. Nothing comes easy. Rebooting your attack half way through the season is never going to go smoothly.
In the age of the salary cap and everything being equal how could the coach not know that the kicking game is the most important thing. We have scored 1 try from a kick all year. One. Cronulla scored twice tonight on a grubber and it looked easy, they didn't have to throw 300 Passes.
Gould was quizzed about our shit short kicking game after the Melbourne game. He defended the Panther Tactics in that game. He Said "It was hard to grubber behind the Melbourne line"
I don't want to hear that shit. I want to hear "it's not good enough and were working on it"

I know every Panther supporter has seen this before. It seems like the only time we go good is when we jump out of the bush's and say surprise. Any great expectations and it's crumble time.

R7 Panthers v Sharks - Game Day Thread 8 months 12 hours ago #25978

• mutley
  • Thank you received: 205
Our forwards look unfit. They are not getting back until at least the 3rd tackle, and are taking the ball flat footed instead of running onto the ball & hitting the defensive live with momentum. Until this part of our game gets fixed, we have no hope of playing in the finals.

R7 Panthers v Sharks - Game Day Thread 8 months 9 hours ago #25979

• hivnoh holova
  • Celebrating 40 Years as a Penrith tragic !
  • Thank you received: 114
After watching 6 games live this season this is what I see:

- We lack the strength or desire to dominate the ruck. We lose around 75% of ruck contests, handing opposition sides quicker play the balls than we get. This leads to us facing defensive lines that are coached to have quick line speed to put pressure on our young halves. This then leads to us running sideways (especially, but not only, Moylan) while defensive lines that haven't been tested just slide with us.
In defence we have many missed opportunities to legally slow the play the ball down but a lack of commitment, effort and attention to detail means that other teams get to run straight at our defensive line which has no line speed because of the speed of the play the ball, They get momentum and so it goes on. The modern game, as created by Bellamy is about winning each contest, in attack and defence, on the ground and everything else flows from there. We are not earning the right to play football because of our lack of physical effort/strength in that department so everything else, including our kicking game, so aptly described by other posters, suffer.

I'll put my conspiracy theory hat on for a moment. The boys look genuinely unfit and weak. I saw players gasping for air 5 minutes into the second half today and hands on knees is a regular sight with this team, much like the Elliott era, someone has already stated. My theory is that they have not been physically prepared for the season in a proper fashion. Trent Merrin was our best forward last year in a very good pack, This year his effort is sporadic and ineffective and he looks so unfit it's not funny. At the game you get to see how much he lags behind the play and struggles to produce anywhere last years workrate and without his workrate and leadership our pack is being dominated. Thing is, he's not the only one and apart from CHN and Yeo the rest don't look any good either. Tamou ? 750k ? A serious waste of money if he isn't playing an effective 60 minutes. He needs to show some leadership with effort and workrate. Why are we unfit ? Because Griffen now has his own conditioners in place and he's doing to Penrith what he ended up doing to Brisbane. Question is, will Gould step in,one way or the other if this season continues in this vein ? We have massive structural issues in our play that any good side we've played have exposed and will continue to do so,

Will this side get down and dirty to do the hard things to win football games ? On current form we'll be vulnerable to any side that's on it's game, including the Eels next week

The book has been written on how to beat us and it's not rocket science. Muscle up in the ruck and the rest will look after itself.
The following user(s) said Thank You   mutley

R7 Panthers v Sharks - Game Day Thread 8 months 2 hours ago #25980

There are some things i believe should happen today and they are.

1....Gould should either resign or be sacked.
This is the clown who got us to this point sacking Cleary and giving us Griffin and add to that buying players like Hiku, Tamou and others but he has been the architect of our failure.

2.....Griffin should either resign or be sacked as he clearly cannot coach and i have had advice his dressing room pre match talk consists of "play what is in front of you".......this comes from a seasoned player who is in the dressing room!

That is his game plan.

3.....Tamou should either be dropped or shopped around to get him out of the club.(yes and pay the other club the difference to get rid of him)
It was posted on here his champion metres last week (albeit against Souths) but yesterday he ran 99 metres, missed tackles and couldn't play 60 minutes

4......Drop Merrin until he gets fit and if he cannot get fit.........offer him the door

5......Drop Moylan as he is in terrible trouble. Overplaying his hand, out of position and to be honest looks like he wants to be elsewhere

And take the Captaincy from him.

6.....Drop Hiku

I would offer

1.....The coaching role to Brennan only till the end of 2017 and the 2018 appointment would be based on his efforts and a search for a new coach

2.....Move Blake to FB...this kid needs to see more ball and i would risk him there to see what he can do.

3.....Bring Oldfield in for Blakes wing spot

4.....Bring CNH in for Merrin

5.....Get Leota in for Tamou or another forward who will bend the defence and hurt in defence

On the Captaincy.......i would consider someone like Yeo.......but as this role is key to us moving forward i would even consider a team vote for who they want.....NOT an appointment but a consensus of who the players want to see as their captain.

This team has so much talent and despite where we are at this point i believe we can still cause some serious damage but ONLY if we act now to save this train wreck

I would urge all supporters to listen to the Sharks press conference..........Flanagan all but insults our team and its management

He said we have no defence and are simply an offensive team....he pointed out they scored easy tries when they got down our end and only the unpredictability of our attack kept us in the game.

I actually think he was laughing at us.......we had no game plan and couldn't defend let alone couldn't score.

That is where we are at in Round 7...............in short a bloody mess as many of you touched on but its time for real action and a real clean out

Start today but sacking Gould.........closely followed by Griffin.

I would be happy to allow an incoming coach to make team selections so he can live or die by his own actions but we need to get rid of this empire building by Gould.

We NEED to build a TEAM...........not a temple to Gould.
Last Edit: 8 months 2 hours ago by steamboatfarmer.

R7 Panthers v Sharks - Game Day Thread 8 months 2 hours ago #25981

• Puss
  • Thank you received: 256
.... c'mon 'steamy' Rome wasn't built in a day, it took at least 5 years. :whistle:

R7 Panthers v Sharks - Game Day Thread 8 months 2 hours ago #25982

Gould was appointed in 2012......Director of Coaching

I think what we are seeing now is evidence enough of Gould's efforts.........dont you think?

Of course we could always wait until he runs away like he did last time

We could always go to Plan B........do nothing and run in the bottom 2

Probably the Gould option and then he can blame everyone and keep his cosy gig.
Last Edit: 8 months 23 minutes ago by steamboatfarmer.

R7 Panthers v Sharks - Game Day Thread 7 months 4 weeks ago #25983

• StrawberryBlonde
  • @MrBowls @PDJRLUpdates @PanthersWeekly
  • Thank you received: 72
Tough one to swallow... Especially sitting next to and behind some fairly vocal Cronulla supporters.

Not even sure where to start on deconstructing the actual 80 minutes!
Member #13736 #WeOwnTheWest #PantherPride

R7 Panthers v Sharks - Game Day Thread 7 months 4 weeks ago #25985

• mr walker
  • Thank you received: 129
Oh my!!!!

There is way too much to say about what is wrong. Some have covered a lot of it on here, but unfortunately, the ones who need to see what's wrong, can't!

Let's start with - why would we not go with our best 17 available for the game? Of the extended bench, the first two who would have been left out were Hiku, Browne & they both played!!!!

It was clear we knew we weren't going to win when we took the 2.

R7 Panthers v Sharks - Game Day Thread 7 months 4 weeks ago #25986

• shazza
  • Thank you received: 161
It’s impossible to defend the indefensible so the decision to drop Corey Harrawirra-Naera and Villiam Kikau in favour of Brown and Hiku simply beggars belief. Not that their inclusion would necessarily have changed the extent of the carnage but if the concept of reward for effort means anything, then these two young players should have been automatic selections. A journeyman prop getting towards the end of an unremarkable career and a second rate Manly reject are a poor substitute for two of the most promising young forwards in the club. Thankfully Kikau has just signed an extended contract but the future of Corey Harrawirra is less certain. He’s fully committed to our club but if Panthers are not fully committed to him then it’s not surprising that he’s been fielding offers from elsewhere since his impressive First Grade debut just a few short weeks ago. If playing silly buggers with the team list is the best Griffin can do to confuse and confound the opposition then he needs to rethink his entire strategy, going forward, because what is patently missing from the Panthers game plan is not a selection smokescreen but a game plan.

There is no point wasting time and effort going over how bad we were yesterday. As bad as it gets would be understating the dismal display put on by our team. They played without purpose, passion or pride. Their second half effort was just plain awful. We looked like a pickup side from the local pub pitched in against a genuine, professional, well drilled NRL heavyweight. Early in the season, the Dragons’ debacle not with-standing, our impenetrable forward defence was the hall-mark of our performance. Our forwards refused to be dominated and owned the centre of the park. Not anymore. Our defence, or more precisely, our lack of defence has become our Achilles’ heel and our opponents are exploiting our lack of resolve in this department, in and around the ruck, with easy metres up the field.

The problem isn’t a lack of effort from any individual player, it’s a lack of a cohesion and team effort from at least a dozen players. Yeo, Wallace and RCG give 100% every time they run onto the field, so as far as I’m concerned they’ve earned the right to be free from criticism, but the sheer lack of teamwork in our side is obvious, it would seem, to everyone but the coach. Opposition teams just love to get us into our attacking red-zone because once there any thought of constructing a try goes right out the window. For some unfathomable reason we simply can’t score from close range and I’m afraid there’s only one person who can fix this. It’s over to you Anthony Griffin.

shazza
The following user(s) said Thank You   ptchevpanther

R7 Panthers v Sharks - Game Day Thread 7 months 4 weeks ago #25987

I think Griffin needs to see how the Eels "constructed" tries to come home to win against the Tigers.

Parra simply kept bending the Tigers back then cleverly shifted wide with near passing after outnumbering the Wests defence who did not adjust.

If the Eels go into next weeks game against us with a genuine game plan like this we will be crucified again.

I have repeatedly said Griffin had 6 months to come up with a game plan/strategy for the Dragons game and he didn't have one then and its been 8 days at most to reset and have a game plan for the Opposition sides and none has been forthcoming.

I don't see one for this upcoming game against the Eels.,,,NOTHING will or can change.

On the topic of players.......i believe there is NOT a single player who should be under consideration for the SOO squad.

BTW who was the senior Manager getting paid too much who said the Sharks were soft.......NONE other then Gould and look what they thought of those comments....pure genius by Gould.

LOL

R7 Panthers v Sharks - Game Day Thread 7 months 4 weeks ago #25988

• Rabbit
I know I am writing a lot of posts, This is a long one And I don't even know if i'm right, I just come on here to vent my frustration. Forgive me, here it goes

I personally don't think it is player effort or Talent that has caused this disastrous situation in 2017.

Energy flow in a game is all important, you see it after tries are scored at anytime it's like hitting the nitrous button, the team just is boosted, the same thing can go the other way when team effort is not rewarded with points in a contest. Most people just call it momentum, And what I've noticed is we are getting very few of these moments, We have it right at the beginning of the game but have had few of those moments in the middle of the game, even the games we have one we just ground the other teams to a pulp. == By not turning field position into points we are giving energy to the other teams and dropping our own energy levels.

We are not converting our energy moments because of team tactics, Especially in the red zone.

Here is version 22 of what I think has gone wrong.
The Panthers seem to be hell bent on getting the ball to Moylan to create something in the Red Zone == the defense is reading this and is sprinting up to cut Moylan's time down, and it is working == he is looking disheveled.
So we are not letting the pivots run the attack!!!!! Interestingly Gould pointed out the same scenario with New South Wales losing year in and year out because Farrah is obsessed with forward play and never passes it to the pivots in the clutch situations, this is why Taylor wanted him Gone, he wouldn't give the quality ball too Brooks or Moses at the Tigers, In comparison Queensland always gets the ball to Cronk or Thurston in the clutch plays where Farrar always gives it to Gallen or Woods. Which is why Peirce and others have had few of those game winning moments. I agree with Gould, Farrah and Gallen have been the reason for our losses. If the NSW pivots had of been saying Get out the way I want the ball now! BUT !!

So back to Penrith-- Wallace is giving the ball to the pivots but they are calling for it because Moylan is on that side, and there not calling for it because they think there is an attacking option they can see in front of them == whether it be short numbers in the line or kick option because the fullback or winger is out of position. == It's too predictable, either they make Moylan 5/8 or make Moylan an option in attack not the point of the attack.
The pivots have to run the team and have to play what's in front of them. I came to this Revelation last night while trying to think why the pivots are not kicking behind the Line, whether it be a chip or a grubber , there just obsessively looking to throw the ball out the back linking with their captain (Moylan) (No one out of this is coming looking good).
I could be wrong but all I know is something terrible has going wrong with our attack!
If they can fix this one thing the energy flow will come back and they can potentially win the comp.
Personally I would shift Moylan to 5/8, Just because of the dynamics of personalities in the team. If he's the man making him the man.
I love Martin == only 13 Nrl games, he's a great attacker and defender. But he's hobbled because he's always looking for Moylan. He's not doing any grubbers or set plays because he's always shoveling it on to Moylan. It's just not working. But I know everybody can see that. The fix is the problem. == young halves == the guys on the coal face have to be the ones making the decisions to get you across the line.
They are the youngest halves in the competition bristling with attacking options around them everywhere, But they are our pivots and they have to run the attack. Either let them run it or put someone in with the authority to do it. And when I mean run it, they shouldn't even be thinking what Moylan will do with the ball in attack. He should be just another option.
So they have put them in boxes == Martin distributes it and occasionally runs. == Cleary Kicks it but No tactical kicks == Moylan is the playmaker. == Easy to anticipate!! == look at Thurston no defense knows what he is going to do, because all options are open to him.
Just like New South Wales, Canterbury also don't trust the Chiefs and have got too many Indians ready step forward and win the battle all these scenarios are similar to Penrith's situation right now and it's obviously a recipe for disaster.
The following user(s) said Thank You   Puss, Pomoz, BigMac

R7 Panthers v Sharks - Game Day Thread 7 months 4 weeks ago #25989

• LateMail
  • Thank you received: 10
shazza wrote:
Yeo, Wallace and RCG give 100% every time they run onto the field, so as far as I’m concerned they’ve earned the right to be free from criticism

shazza

I would add DWZ to that list. He puts his body on the line every game making the hard metres running the ball out from our own end. If our forwards were playing with the effort and passion of DWZ, we would be a lot better than 2 and 5.
  • Page: