Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: R8 Eels v Panthers - Game Day Thread

R8 Eels v Panthers - Game Day Thread 7 months 3 weeks ago #25999

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 146
This Weekend Games
Telstra Premiership: Parramatta Eels v Penrith Panthers @ ANZ Stadium 22/4 3:00m
Holden Cup: Parramatta Eels v Penrith Panthers @ ANZ Stadium 22/4 12:40pm
Intrust Super Premiership: Penrith Panthers v Wentworthville Magpies @ Pepper Stadium 22/4 10:45am

Broadcast
Telstra Premiership: FOX LEAGUE LIVE (Channel 502) 3:00pm
Holden Cup: FOX LEAGUE LIVE (Channel 502) 12:30pm
Intrust Super Premiership: FOX LEAGUE LIVE (Channel 502) 10:30am
The administrator has disabled public write access.

R8 Eels v Panthers - Game Day Thread 7 months 3 weeks ago #26000

I suspect most of you will go into cardiac arrest when you see that the future immortal Martin has been dropped.

Good to see the side, at least on paper, looking more like the one that went on a winning run last year.

R8 Eels v Panthers - Game Day Thread 7 months 3 weeks ago #26001

To say I am getting sick of starting a half tomorrow me post with "oh dear" is an understatement.

The good: those that play well week in week out (Yeo, Wallace, Latu) continue to do so.

The bad: despite Tamou's tough talk earlier in the week, there seems to be little lifting of performance this week.

The Ugly: take your pick;

Moylen displayed yet another flaw in his game, defending the ruck on the final set, leaving the in goal vulnerable.

We seem as unfit as ever, maybe getting rid of Ronnie Palmer wasn't such a good idea after all.

I won't bother to mention the coach, no point playing a broken record about the obvious.
The following user(s) said Thank You   hivnoh holova

R8 Eels v Panthers - Game Day Thread 7 months 3 weeks ago #26002

I know why the players are so tired

we have 4 oxygen thieves stealing the oxygen from the rest of the team

Moylan,Tamou,Merrin and Cartwright

I did see Tamou on a push bike.....and it wasn't going anywhere either

I would humbly suggest the class players

Cleary,Latu,Yeo,RCG,CHN,WB and TMM ask for a release and go on the free market

Parra were close to average and we managed to be worse again.

I said Griffin and Gould should quit last week........they should both be sacked this week.

The only reason we won't get the wooden spoon is Newcastle.
Last Edit: 7 months 3 weeks ago by steamboatfarmer.

R8 Eels v Panthers - Game Day Thread 7 months 3 weeks ago #26003

• Panther Jack
  • It's bad luck i swear.
  • Thank you received: 108
I don't care anymore to be honest.
Last Edit: 7 months 3 weeks ago by Panther Jack.

R8 Eels v Panthers - Game Day Thread 7 months 3 weeks ago #26004

to Cartwrights credit he played 80 minutes......well if you call it playing but he did stay on the field for 80 minutes

Tamou and Merrin cannot play 80 minutes....err sorry cannot stay on the field for 80 minutes

we were right in the game until the kick off.

R8 Eels v Panthers - Game Day Thread 7 months 3 weeks ago #26005

lastly

to all our Armed Forces who were on field and the lady who sang the NZ and OZ anthem .......they looked brilliant and were brilliant

well done to our magificent men and women of our military in the Anzac tribute

They protect our great country and allow us to enjoy the freedom we have.
The following user(s) said Thank You   Southernhillfan

R8 Eels v Panthers - Game Day Thread 7 months 3 weeks ago #26006

Well there was a bright side late in the second half, we decided to surprise everyone by running hard and straight, and the outside backs lunched in goal for a return set.

Wow, what a revelation! Maybe we should try that a few more times.

Sarcasm hat off for now, as well as being unfit, be are also displaying a lack of basic skills - ball handling and passing especially, not to mention defense and tackling.

Don't know what more to say, except I'd have Edwards in the number 1 next week, Latu starting prop with RCG, Yeo at lock, with Moylen, Tamou and Merrin of laying reggies.

Coach and Gould have to go. Maybe Alexander would like a crack or maybe Wallace could captain / coach, it''s not like the incumbent is doing anything.

We played like we hadn't seen the training paddock for months, that on top of our very obvious complete lack of anything resembling a game plan for the last 4 weeks (if not the season).

At least being a Panther fan for 40 odd years has prepared me for this.

R8 Eels v Panthers - Game Day Thread 7 months 3 weeks ago #26007

SHF

i just watched the press conference with Griffin and call me old school or even very old school but anyone who does a press conference eating a lollie in his mouth is a pig.......

Griffin just did that and displayed contempt for the questions being asked but he did answer one question

"we will get better, just when i can't tell you"

That was his uplifting speech to all of us long suffering fans

I don't know what s funnier.......the hand up Moylans arse moving his head or Griffin the pig having nothing of substance to say except if Parra hadn't of scored the 2 tries at the start of each half we would have been in it

Maybe Griffin could ask the Broncos not to score first in either half next week.......then we are in it.

ROTFLMAO

Griffin.......he shouldn't be anywhere near the talent he has around him.

Gould shouldn't be anywhere near Penrith

R8 Eels v Panthers - Game Day Thread 7 months 3 weeks ago #26008

to the Tamou family who posted here about their champion and his metres

Tamou ....a stunning 51 metres and done is 34 minutes

Merrin......a close second with 87 metres done in 48 minutes

Champions in being able to play 34 and 48 minutes respectively

Lets not talk about their errors, line breaks and missed tackles

But Tamou did have 6 hit ups which surely must have drained him and Merrin has 10 gut busting runs.

Legends Gould brought to the club and dumped the likes of Latimore and Matagi for these blokes.

R8 Eels v Panthers - Game Day Thread 7 months 3 weeks ago #26009

Can't agree more SBF,

For some time I have lamented the fact our press conferences treat fans, the game and media with contempt.

Haven't watched This one yet, but let me guess how it goes:

Moylen looking all smug with himself, rocking back on his chair.

Yes this might seem harsh criticism, but after the season so far I feel I have the right to vent (god given by the lords of the Internet thingy lol).

Anyone else get the feeling watching Moylen play that he is still a touch footy player? Through the ball everywhere, don't take a tackle.

Sounds somewhat like a certain halfback we had a few years ago, at least he could score tries off kicks.

Again, this may seem harsh criticism, but I for one have seen a real negative attitude to Moylen this year, maybe SOO had something to do with it?

R8 Eels v Panthers - Game Day Thread 7 months 3 weeks ago #26010

RCG - 59 minutes, 9 hit-ups, 128 meters.

Compare that with his starting partner Tamou.

R8 Eels v Panthers - Game Day Thread 7 months 3 weeks ago #26011

well here isa left field call

sack Griffin and get Gould as far as away from the club as you can and offer John Cartwright the job as interim coach

If this isn't changed and changed fast 2017 is over if its not already over

R8 Eels v Panthers - Game Day Thread 7 months 3 weeks ago #26012

even the interchange almost did more minutes then Tamou

Griffin said he was gassed..........ROTFLMAO

Its not fait of me to simply point out Tamou

Cartwright

missed the kick off

didn't ground the bal allowing Eels to score a try

throws a pass hard into a player on 1st tackle 10 metres out

throws a forward pass to Moylan

and he was hiding with 8 runs and 61 metres

and worse still Griffin defended him in the press conference...saying he was rusty

But his Genius kept Peachy on the bench

R8 Eels v Panthers - Game Day Thread 7 months 3 weeks ago #26014

There's a lot of "rusty" isn't there.

Once upon a time, someone like Cartwright would have done at least a week in reggies to "shake off the cobwebs", before coming back to firsts after a spell.

And players struggling for form would also go back to reggies to re-gain form and fitness.

Instead today it seems once a player is labeled "a star", they stay in firsts no matter what.

John Cartwright as coach - why not?

About the only person I wouldn't want to see take over would be Taylor, aside from him, most anyone else should do better.

I wasn't joking when I suggested a captain coach, we are so uncoached at the moment.

R8 Eels v Panthers - Game Day Thread 7 months 3 weeks ago #26015

• Puss
  • Thank you received: 256
souf aussie panther wrote:
I suspect most of you will go into cardiac arrest when you see that the future immortal Martin has been dropped.

Good to see the side, at least on paper, looking more like the one that went on a winning run last year.

.... your goat is struggling, bit like the footy side. :P

R8 Eels v Panthers - Game Day Thread 7 months 3 weeks ago #26016

• Puss
  • Thank you received: 256
..... would I be out of order to suggest our lineup including several rep players,
not being able to match PARRAMATTA is weak as piss. We'll be a much better
side in 2028 with the lessons we've learn't this afternoon....... Yeah right ! :S

R8 Eels v Panthers - Game Day Thread 7 months 3 weeks ago #26017

• Dufeyz
  • Thank you received: 44
I don't think dropping players will fix the problems. Reserve grade aren't too flash at the moment either. Penrith played for roughly 10-15 minutes in that second half, and almost won.

We built some pressure, scored one simple try from a backline movement (more please), and one stupid try from luck. Both tries occured when we were in the Eels 20m zone, wow.

Cleary started doing some grubbers, wallace started kicking long. Boys need to chase the kicks harder. We know cleary can kick, so thats not the problem. Tackle them in their in goal next time.
The following user(s) said Thank You   Rabbit

R8 Eels v Panthers - Game Day Thread 7 months 3 weeks ago #26018

• Rabbit
  • Thank you received: 60
Day one - God created rugby league day 2 - he created a flat defensive line. Day 3 he created the kick behind that flat Line == which Parramatta did for three tries today - 3 out of 3. Two tries by Cronulla last week, and a lot of teams have scored over 20 tries from kicks this season, we have scored one.

I don't know - are they sitting in the sheds afterwards saying they keep rushing our attack. the easiest defense against that is == to kick it behind them because they moved up to fast and can't turn around.

Against St George Cartwright had one of the worst games ever for a back rower in Penrith's history. Bought him straight back in and made him a playmaker.
Our number 1 tackle breaker sat on the bench for most of the game where is the sense in that??? - By the way Peachey has gone out of form because they're rushing him as well because, again they're not threatening to kick.

The commentators are not mentioning on our lack of attacking kicks because it's much more exciting to watch a game where a team doesn't do that == for example Parramatta tries were too easy and were not spectacular == deep down the commentators want Penrith to succeed in this style because it would be better for the game as a whole, but it's not a reality == in the history of the game close to 1/3 of All tries are scored from a kick, sometimes it can be as high is 60% throughout a season (Remember Luke Walsh) for Parramatta today it was 100%.

Other than putting Cartwright in reserve grade and bringing Peachey and Martin back in, I wouldn't change the starting line up.

We did our first tactical kick in the goal in the 75th minute and guess what we scored in the next set (If you can't score in the red zone try and score from further out after a dropout) , it's doing my head in. we must be the laughing stock of the NRL, by the other coaches!! They would be telling their players out wide, rush them they're not going to kick it behind you.

The Panthers were installed as favorites not because of their pedigree like Melbourne or the Broncos, they were installed as favorites purely because of their roster, they got a coach with no credentials he's done nothing for the squad I don't know why he wouldn't be sacked immediately. But then Gould would have to admit he made a mistake in hiring him.
He jumbles the squad up every week. Who does that in the NRL?? It's like following an under nine's coach.

R8 Eels v Panthers - Game Day Thread 7 months 3 weeks ago #26019

what you say about kicks is as valid today as it was in round 1......you can see it, i can see it, the entire football world can see it but Griffin cannot.

on the roster, are you suggesting we start with Tamou who played 38 minutes and Merrin who played a little more over CNH and or JFH?

Clearly we cannot drop all those who need to be dropped but i think there is scope to drop 3.

Moylan,Merrin and Tamou.

I would have maybe TMM at FB and if not him.....have Edwards

I would start Latu/Leota or either JFH

and have CNH in for Merrin

Hopefully JFH is ft to play this week but we need our forwards doing what forwards should do....hurting in defence and taking the ball up hard in offence.

Clearly we are missing Mansour big time with his huge return runs and how we get moving quickly and have had no one do it in his absence.

If we look at the run last year the major change to the team is Mansour missing and Tamou playing badly

If TMM is fit and i think Griffin has signalled he wants Cartwright at 5/8th maybe we could move TMM to FB or centre as he is super fast and his defence is good

Simple changes and not really changing the squad just putting the right people in the right spot.....and when Mansour returns.....he will give us the X factor.

But we need to fix this bleeding and fix it fast and as mentioned Gould is tied to Griffin.....if Griffin fails Gould is also out of work.

Gould will protect him until the bleeding obvious dawns upon them.

Shame they put their jobs above the good of the club...IMO

R8 Eels v Panthers - Game Day Thread 7 months 3 weeks ago #26020

• mutley
  • Thank you received: 205
The opening 5 minutes set the tone for the game. We let the kickoff go out, give Parra repeat sets, fail to clean up in goals, they score, and we are chasing them for the rest of the game, putting ourselves under pressure & pushing plays instead of building pressure on our opponents.

Like last week, I again question the fitness of some of our forwards, in particular our 2 highest paid forwards.

The decision to bench Peachey & start Hiku was also questionable.

We did well to get back into the game at the end, but we never should have been in that position to start with.

R8 Eels v Panthers - Game Day Thread 7 months 3 weeks ago #26021

• Dufeyz
  • Thank you received: 44
I dont mind Hiku starting at centre. In fact, at times Hiku was playing on the wing. I think that is a better make-up for the side in general.

The comments regarding kicking are spot-on. If the reason Griffin has coached those kicks out of the team is because he believes it is risky play, there is nothing more risky than just constantly pushing passes.

Last year the broncos game somewhat triggered our season revival. (maybe it was that manly game, but that broncos game was glorious). Hopefully we will be complete underdogs.

Griffin actually has a decent record against Wayne so we should be a decent chance. Penrith played for roughly 15 minutes here or there last night. They almost won.

R8 Eels v Panthers - Game Day Thread 7 months 3 weeks ago #26022

What is the job description of a first grade coach?

1. Make sure the squad is fit.
2. Select the best possible players in the respective positions that they play in.
3. Come up with a game plan that utilizes the players strengths to the maximum to ensure the best result possible.
4. To creative a positive team culture.

I'm sorry to all you people that love the coach but I can't see any one of those 4 things being implemented at the moment.
He failed at the capless broncos so the chances of him being successful with us was always highly unlikely. Sure, we'll win some more games but if we aren't finals bound there needs to be changes. The problem with that is Gus will have to make a tough call which will be an admission to making a major mistake. Can't see that happening.

LP
The following user(s) said Thank You   mutley

R8 Eels v Panthers - Game Day Thread 7 months 3 weeks ago #26023

• hivnoh holova
  • Celebrating 40 Years as a Penrith tragic !
  • Thank you received: 114
HI LP

Can't see to many on here that love the coach. Club's gone to shit now he has full control of the squad.

They look gassed all of the time so the effort isn't there. In terms of fitness, a player can't give what they haven't got so it's going to be a long season with the odd highlight game where we beat up on weaklings through talent alone.

Thoroughly enjoyed the analysis on here, lots of excellent points made !
The following user(s) said Thank You   Lismore Panther

R8 Eels v Panthers - Game Day Thread 7 months 3 weeks ago #26024

• Griggsy
  • Thank you received: 22
1. Hook would make a good development officer (for another club). The sooner we give Garth Brennan the reigns the sooner we will start becoming a threat and our chances of players going to the Tigers to work under Ivan, will be lessened. Brennan has done a lot with at least half of the squad and took a lot of them to a few grand finals in the 20s and Reggies.

2. What happened to Spud Elford? His energy as a runner was contagious and I reckon he was worth 2+ points a game. I guess Hook wanted to create his own dynasty and got him moved to a desk job. The guys who are currently running around on the field look like they are not too far from a wheelchair.

3. Blake is such an explosive player and has not been having such an impact on the wing. What a waste. Peach and Blake in the centres again please. Hiku would be great in Reggies.

4. People say Tamaou needs to go to Reggies. The way he has been playing I don't think he would even make that team. He would probably do ok at Glenmore Park. Maybe that would start making him realise.

5. How good is Yeo. Just an absolute work horse.
  • Page: