Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: R13 Bulldogs v Panthers - Game Day Thread

R13 Bulldogs v Panthers - Game Day Thread 4 months 2 weeks ago #26213

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 146
This is the place.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

R13 Bulldogs v Panthers - Game Day Thread 4 months 2 weeks ago #26214

I wonder if the news of Klemmer wanting out of the Dogs will inspire or hurt them today?

Again there should be absolutely no excuse today.........clear skies, good track and coming into the game with a 2 week break.

On paper we have the class to beat the Dogs but that hasn't meant much this year so far.

Plenty to play for today and will be interesting to see if the team performs as if it does mean something

Updating with news Graham and Morris is out for the game
Last Edit: 4 months 2 weeks ago by steamboatfarmer.

R13 Bulldogs v Panthers - Game Day Thread 4 months 2 weeks ago #26215

• mutley
  • Thank you received: 200
Watching NSW Cup at the moment, Hiku, Martin, Leota & Akauola are all on the field now, so I'm guessing we will be 1-17 as named on Tuesday.

R13 Bulldogs v Panthers - Game Day Thread 4 months 2 weeks ago #26216

• mutley
  • Thank you received: 200
NSW Cup

Bulldogs 14
Panthers 4

Ordinary effort from both teams

R13 Bulldogs v Panthers - Game Day Thread 4 months 2 weeks ago #26217

I am looking forward to this game.

Although the poor start to the season has prevented me from mentioning this earlier, my pre- season prediction was we would finish the season with Edwards 1, Moylen 6.

Today's game rests on two things for me:

1) the forwards go forward.

2) Moylen doesn't overplay his hand.

190+ m running for Mansour!?

R13 Bulldogs v Panthers - Game Day Thread 4 months 2 weeks ago #26218

Can't fault that first half!

14-0, everyone playing well.

Yeo on the way towards MOM

Go Penrith!

R13 Bulldogs v Panthers - Game Day Thread 4 months 2 weeks ago #26219

Its hard to believe but Mansour has made the difference again with his runs and to his credit DWZ has added which has got us onto the front foot and then the backs can weave the magic.

Its a simple game and we have a simple plan....turn the big boppers around, fast play the balls, kicks to the corners and you have them at sixers and sevens.

Rein has been very good as well at dummy half with good defence and service.

Edwards very solid.....we look pretty well balanced with potency either side.

And only 1 penalty

Now we should put them to the sword.....and go on with this big time.

And keep them to zero!!!

R13 Bulldogs v Panthers - Game Day Thread 4 months 1 week ago #26220

thrilled to see we kept them to zero.....but the 38 showed intent.

Mansour was legend........unbelievable he played the 80 and made the difference with his returns and backed up by a determined DWZ

The team played as a team.......they can all hold their heads high tonight and maybe the Bulldogs played us into form.

Sadly we might have seen the last of Wallace on Reins form which was very good and i think Cartwright will struggle even to make it back as a forward.

We looked balanced, we beat them with muscle in the forwards and potency in the backs although not well oiled at times but potent.

Its great to see what many of us had hoped for earlier in the season to expose itself.

Great win and a lot of positives to take out of it.

R13 Bulldogs v Panthers - Game Day Thread 4 months 1 week ago #26221

• Puss
  • Thank you received: 254
.... nice to post s score but, Dogs didn't offer much today.
Caught a depleted oppositition but you can only play what's
in front of you. A good hit out though, can we go on with it ?

R13 Bulldogs v Panthers - Game Day Thread 4 months 1 week ago #26222

• Panther Jack
  • It's bad luck i swear.
  • Thank you received: 108
Mansour:

First game since his ACL injury and he plays like that.

What a superstar.
The following user(s) said Thank You   steamboatfarmer

R13 Bulldogs v Panthers - Game Day Thread 4 months 1 week ago #26223

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
It's pretty clear where Moylan's future lies in regard to position. I would imagine this move of Moylan to 6 will be a long term thing. TMM will be stuck in reggies for quite some time I think.

steamboatfarmer wrote:
Sadly we might have seen the last of Wallace on Reins form which was very good...

Think you might be jumping the gun a bit there. Rein doesn't have the experience and composure of Wallace. In a tight grinding battle (unlike today's hot mess from the Bulldogs) I would rather the level head of Wallace in the 9 jumper.
Last Edit: 4 months 1 week ago by Steve Tidball.

R13 Bulldogs v Panthers - Game Day Thread 4 months 1 week ago #26224

I havent written Wallace off completely but its nice to have pressure on a position don't you agree?

Rein was good defensively scored 2 tries and didn't give away a penalty....Wallace does give away the odd penalty and that was one thing which was missing today until the last 10 or 15 minutes..our discipline was great and we didn't give them penalties.

Agree re TMM

R13 Bulldogs v Panthers - Game Day Thread 4 months 1 week ago #26225

• mr walker
  • Thank you received: 129
The heightened air of expectancy around the Panthers going into this game was clear. Just why, I'm not so sure. Was it the 2 come from behind wins, the week off, the return of Sauce, or the anticipation of the lineup changes signalling a new era?? Well whatever it was it was on the money.

38-0 is a result beyond anyone's expectations, with the team playing well across the park in attack & defence. The dogs were a rabble, but we often adapt our game to be just as poor as the opposition, but not this week!

I have long awaited the move of Moylan to 6 & predicted, prior to his 1st grade debut, that when we next won the comp the player with 6 on his back would be named Moylan. JS almost wrecked my prediction in 2014, but maybe it's back on track - maybe not this year, but in the next couple. Not only having Matt at 6 makes the most of his game, but then having Edwards at the back adds a further dimension to our team.

Yeo was outstanding, as was RCG & Merrin. In fact all the forwards went well, completely dominating the dogs.

Mansour - well he IS THE BEAST!

I wish we had focused on football and not money & the game this week would be at home & not Bathurst. The raiders will be a better measuring stick of where we are at the halfway point. But for now, let's enjoy a positive week after a remarkable win.

R13 Bulldogs v Panthers - Game Day Thread 4 months 1 week ago #26226

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
steamboatfarmer wrote:
I havent written Wallace off completely but its nice to have pressure on a position don't you agree?

I absolutely agree. I think if Rein hangs in there he will eventually become the first choice Hooker when Wallace retires or heads over to ESL at the end of his contract in 2018.

I think Rein has talent, I just don't think he is at the level of where Wallace is now.
The following user(s) said Thank You   steamboatfarmer

R13 Bulldogs v Panthers - Game Day Thread 4 months 1 week ago #26227

i posted in anticipation in the weeks leading up to this......Mansour was the missing link and he didn't make my prediction look good he humbled it

Mansour is the difference to this squad with his runs from set plays and returns.....i think (and will be happily corrected) he led our run metres and all this from a guy returning after 7 months and a major knee injury.

Simply put he sets the tone.....if he has the energy and makes those hard 10 or 20 metres and closely followed by DWZ it gives our forwards a breather and a chance to roll forward.

RCG was our best forward by a mile......he simply relished the heavy work and had a smile on his face doing it.

And on the point of scheduling, i know we have a role to play in taking the game to the country but it is true this weeks game is simply a must watch/see game.

Raiders are yet to find that form which left them one game short of a GF and a one point loss on the weekend will have them hurting even more

Its an old adage but this is a must win game for both teams......Panthers need to replicate the same game plan as deployed against Bulldogs.

Kick early, kick to corners and work hard in the forwards so the backs can have room to be creative

And ST.......Wallace has been brilliant for the club and how he transitioned from Half to hooker.

His courage and loyalty to Panthers can never be questioned but father time could be having his say.

Rein might not be our long term option but he sure looked very good........but that said it is easier to look good when the big boppers were belting the Dogs....Wallace has been one of the few who can hold his head high with effort even when we were being run over by other forwards.

R13 Bulldogs v Panthers - Game Day Thread 4 months 1 week ago #26228

Still basking in the warm glow from yesterday's game.

The combination between Moylen and Yeo was a sight to behold.

Welcome back to form Merrin. He has been building the last couple of weeks, and yesterday reminded me of last season.

Tamou, much maligned has finally shown the form that won him SOO selection in years past. Hope he keeps it up.

I thought Moylen played the position well, and as far as I'm concerned it is now his to loose. He could do with practicing his short kicking game, but I was happy to see him run and take the tackle.

Edwards lived up to every expectation at fullback. I imagine he will improve as he plays more first grade at fullback.

Everyone played well and lifted. Yes the opposition was soft but we softened them!

A little bit premature to suggest Rein (as good as he played) will replace Wallace once he returned. Had Wall not got injured, he may well have played SOO.

A week or two ago I asked if we had seen the turning point of our season. While it's still early to say, things are looking up.

Welcome back Mansour! It's like you never left. Haven't seen his stats, but his hit-ups from the back (the're too good to simply be called "runs"), inspired the other backs, and those meters lay the platform for the forwards, who lay the platform for the attack.

R13 Bulldogs v Panthers - Game Day Thread 4 months 1 week ago #26229

• shazza
  • Thank you received: 161
If getting off to a flying start was the game plan, then the team that has been leaking first-half points like the Titanic leaked passengers, delivered in spades. It might not have worked against a team with a healthy, well drilled, enthusiastic defence, but the razzle-dazzle disco football which has become our hallmark recently was certainly good enough to see off the under-strength Bulldogs. Missing three of their best and down on current form, the Dogs were always going to be up against it, and the fact that the Panthers (with a point to prove) finally turned up to play from the opening whistle, meant a big win was always on the cards.

Isiah Yeo was again Man of the Match and despite suffering a painful foot injury in the first half, he continued to taunt the opposition (for 65 minutes) with his crunching defence, powerful running and skilfull ball play, which is fast becoming the hallmark of this incredible talented, incredibly versatile young backrower.

Moylan tried to do too much but even his greatest critics would have to concede that the relatively low-risk strategy of putting the 6 on his back, worked. The enigmatic Moylan is not a conventional 5/8 but he’s such a gifted footballer it doesn’t matter where he plays, he’s dangerous whenever and wherever he gets his hands on the ball. He plays incredible flat, courtesy of his touch football background, which works fine against a disjointed, slow moving defence, but against a team that jams up and in (as a single unit) like the Storm or the Sharks, all playing flat achieves is a cramped 3/4 line forced to crab sidewise across field looking for space.
If it’s the captain’s responsibility to organize the troops and implement the game plan, then I’m afraid Moylan is not the right man for the job. He doesn’t know what he’s doing himself half the time, so expecting him to guide the team around the park is a bridge too far for this gifted but decidedly tear-arse footballer. It’s difficult to live with him but we definitely can’t afford to live without him. He’s the consummate intuitive footballer who just plays what’s in front of him and to hell with pre-conceived plans. If you’ve got the players, there’s no doubt you can win games without careful planning, but you can’t win premierships because teams with a well-structured plan, and the ability to implement it, will always win a lot more games than they lose.

It was good to see Mitch Rein rewarded for his strong performance with a try double. It was an impressive debut from this quality first grader who balanced his passing and running game to perfection.

Josh Mansour took up where he left off and showed no sign of tentativeness on his return from serious injury. His final try was a fitting reward for his trademark powerhouse contribution.

Leilani Latu was strong in both attack and defence and gave the Bulldogs’ forwards a torrid time when he came on half-way through the first half after Tamou, Merrin, Yeo and Campbell-Gillard had fired the opening salvos and got the team onto the front foot and off to a flying start. You can say a lot of things about RCG but taking the easy option isn’t one of them, his 2 man war with Sam Kasiano was a brutal (bordering on masochistic) example of why genuine front rowers deserve every cent they earn.

Waqa Blake terrorised his opposite number with a relentless display of aggressive running and ‘take-no-prisoners’ front-on defence. DWZ was equally impressive and dangerous and gave great support to young Edwards who contributed a pretty much faultless performance at the back.

The Raiders, smarting from their last gasp defeat at Lottoland, will no doubt be baying for blood in chilly Bathurst next week and anything less than another good start and a 100% 80 minute commitment from the Panthers will see an abrupt end to our mid-season revival.

shazza
Last Edit: 4 months 1 week ago by shazza. Reason: spacing
The following user(s) said Thank You   Pomoz, Southernhillfan