Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: R14 Panthers v Raiders - Game Day Thread

R14 Panthers v Raiders - Game Day Thread 6 months 1 week ago #26231

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 146
This is the place.
Last Edit: 6 months 1 week ago by Steve Tidball.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

R14 Panthers v Raiders - Game Day Thread 6 months 6 days ago #26232

• mutley
  • Thank you received: 205
We are 1-17 as named in Tuesday.

In lower grades:

NSW Cup
Panthers 18
Mounties 12

NYC
Panthers 28
Raiders 22

R14 Panthers v Raiders - Game Day Thread 6 months 6 days ago #26233

6-4 at half time, a tight tussle.

12 a side for the first ten minutes of the second half - this should be interesting

R14 Panthers v Raiders - Game Day Thread 6 months 6 days ago #26234

• Panther Jack
  • It's bad luck i swear.
  • Thank you received: 108
Perenara deserves to get pelted with glass bottles.

What a fucking disgrace.

R14 Panthers v Raiders - Game Day Thread 6 months 6 days ago #26235

• Panther Jack
  • It's bad luck i swear.
WHAT WHATWEDUEHFHEFH

R14 Panthers v Raiders - Game Day Thread 6 months 6 days ago #26236

Well I'll be stuffed........how good was that.

I think we would be the first team to win a game with 55 missed tackles.

R14 Panthers v Raiders - Game Day Thread 6 months 6 days ago #26237

• Puss
  • Thank you received: 256
.... didn't deserve it, our discipline was dreadful.

R14 Panthers v Raiders - Game Day Thread 6 months 6 days ago #26238

• Panther Jack
  • It's bad luck i swear.
That instantly brought me back to when we scored two late tries at Suncorp and Wallace won it in Golden Point all those years back.

This team is so flawed, yet just as resilient at the same time.
The following user(s) said Thank You   mutley

R14 Panthers v Raiders - Game Day Thread 6 months 6 days ago #26239

• Dufeyz
  • Thank you received: 44
Wtf was that?

We sooooooooooooooo did not deserve to win that one, but my god those tries were pretty.

At least we can say that we have a team that never gives up.

R14 Panthers v Raiders - Game Day Thread 6 months 6 days ago #26240

Even after an hour I am still in shock.

All prepared to talk about our poor discipline, defensive mis-reads ,yet skill and effort there.

Then bam! We score 2 tries in the last 100 seconds to win.

Moylen and Edwards wow! Think I need to drink and sleep on this one before critiquing further.

R14 Panthers v Raiders - Game Day Thread 6 months 6 days ago #26241

Forgot to add the questionable refereeing,

Shoulder charge penalty for a legal tackle, Edwards tackled in the air but no penalty. Mansour taken out without the ball without a penalty.

Good to get the win. Has anyone else noticed how Austin lifts when he plays against us. Someone would think he held a grudge or something.

Our top 3 for run meters - Edwards, Mansour and Yeo. 2 of the three weren't playing 2 weeks ago. And for Mansour to make over 200m, two weeks in a row afte 6 months off is almost inconceivable.

I'm sold on the Moylen 6, Edwards 1 combo.

Now to get the team discipline, defense and ball security up to scratch....
The following user(s) said Thank You   Pomoz

R14 Panthers v Raiders - Game Day Thread 6 months 6 days ago #26242

• mutley
  • Thank you received: 205
The following user(s) said Thank You   Pomoz, Lismore Panther, mr walker, BathurstTom, Southernhillfan

R14 Panthers v Raiders - Game Day Thread 6 months 5 days ago #26244

• Pomoz
  • Thank you received: 204
A few thoughts on the game.

- Edwards has shown he can step to first grade. He is like Girdler. The physical frame of an accountant but able to bust tackles and tackle larger players. His kick returning is so much better than Moylan's we start every set in a much better place. His extra pace also gives us something different in attack.

- Moylan is a ball playing genius but he still needs to work on his game. His kicking is awful and he must add a kick behind the line to his repertoire. Repeat sets are on offer and with Edwards anticipation and speed, tries are on offer too. I think he also plays too lateral at time. The Raiders just waited until he gave the ball to Yeo or CWH and then shut our attack down. It was the Storm game revisited and we looked like we would never score for a little while. Which leads me too...

- Cartwright would have been very useful when we were in their 20 and kept getting tackled for no result. He offers something Yeo and CWH don't have with his offloads and ball playing. Move Merrin to prop and Cartwright into the back row and we have a very versatile forward pack. In an emergency we have skill to cover the halves and pace to cover the backs. Based on form, Tamou gets to start on the bench and come on as an impact forward.

- The centres are getting a cold at the moment and Blake's skill is wasted by the the lateral crabbing of Moylan since he gets no room to move. Mind you, Whare is down on form and looks like he should be in Reggies. Surely Peachey deserves a starting spot in the centres?

- I just have to praise Mansour. What a brilliant player he is. His workmate and determination is stunning. When you consider he was out for a year, it is the stuff of legend. 200m a game!! He puts the other backs to shame. I notice that when he does one of his runs it inspires the team and often DWZ will be the next to take up the ball. Mansour must have some engine to do what he does considering how small he is. A pocket rocket.

- Gotta laud the team's will to win. They won't die wondering. But could we not just grind out a few wins so I can keep our blood pressure under control?

R14 Panthers v Raiders - Game Day Thread 6 months 5 days ago #26245

• shazza
  • Thank you received: 161
Lazarus was once a name synonymous with the Canberra Raiders during their golden era of the late 80’s, early 90’s but after yesterday’s improbable “back from the dead” victory in chilly Bathurst, strong comparisons with that other Lazarus have been rightly attributed to the new come-back kids of the NRL, the enigmatic Panthers. Two converted tries in the last two minutes of play, to snatch victory 24-20, must surely rate as one of the greatest barnstorming finishes in league history.

The Raiders and Panthers have now met 71 times for 35 wins apiece and a draw. Apart from yesterday’s result, it doesn’t get any closer than that.

Matt Moylan, doing pretty much what he did when he was playing fullback, was probably Man of the Match, edging out rookie full-back Dylan Edwards who had an outstanding game in attack and defence. He ran for well over 200 metres, made 15 tackle breaks, 1 line break and any number of try saving tackles. Moylan’s contribution to this historic victory however, cannot be denied. He scored a try, set up 2 and had 4 critical touches in the final set of 6.

This game was supposed to define our season, and in a way it has, but unfortunately it has left us to ponder a lot more questions than it supplied clear answers. We had enough ball in good position in the first half to win two games but unfortunately 18 missed tackles and just 14 from 20 completions (down from 80% last week) and a frustratingly large penalty count, (mainly for laying on players in the ruck) saw us head for the sheds at the break up just 6-4. Not good enough because the physical effort was there, just the mental attitude needs some serious tweaking.

Tamou is no longer being gifted his position, he’s actually earning it, playing big minutes and getting heavily involved in all aspects of the game. With 3 boys at home under 4, I’m guessing he comes to the games for a break. RCG, Merrin and Yeo all carried their form from last week into this game although Yeo, suffering from a painful foot/ankle injury (he picked up last week), was a tad below his absolute best. Still, with almost 200 metres run and over 30 tackles made, his performance could hardly be regarded as shabby. Corey Harawira-Naera (30 tackles) celebrated his new contract extension (sucko Manly) with a quality try right at the death but blotted his copybook in the first half with a rush of blood to the head stupidity which landed him in the sin-bin for 10 minutes.

Mansor and DWZ both franked their form from last week and Mitch Rein, who topped the tackle count with almost 50 hits, did a wonderful impersonation of the Duracell bunny. Whare, whose contribution went pretty much unremarked by the “experts” made some big defensive plays on some even bigger opponents. Thankfully, he offers stability in a ¾ line that is sadly lacking in calm.

Which brings me to the subject of Tyrone Peachey:
Game-breaker Peachy is nowhere near as effective playing in the forwards. He was one of the most dynamic centres in the NRL last season and nothing has changed, just his position, which is a change for the worse. I absolutely agree that he should be coming off the bench but he should be coming into the position he’s patently most effective in, centre. It’s not rocket science, simply move Whare into lock, where he’d excel on the edge of the ruck (when Merrin goes off), and slot Peachey in where he obviously needs to be.

We’ve got a few players playing busted so the bye next week couldn’t have come at a better time. It will also give Panther fans an opportunity to get their heart rate back in line.

shazza
Last Edit: 6 months 5 days ago by shazza. Reason: correction

R14 Panthers v Raiders - Game Day Thread 6 months 5 days ago #26246

• Panther Jack
  • It's bad luck i swear.
Okay, let's come back to reality.

That refereeing performance was utterly AWFUL and if it wasn't for Moylan completely pulling it out of the hat, would have been the reason why we lost.

I'm not sure if the club seriously believes we're going to beat the likes of Melbourne and Cronulla in the finals with a refereeing performance like that going to be present again?I said this through out last year after that disastrous 2015 campaign which I thought surely had to be warning signs in how detrimental a refereeing performance can be to whether or not we are going to win games.I said we are going to get shafted in the semi finals if we keep going down the same path and what do you know, that game in Canberra last year happened.

Whilst you have Robinson, Bennett and all of these other guys somehow fooling the Rugby League fanbase into thinking their clubs actually get decisions against them, we stay completely silent just waiting to feel the shit end of the stick so those clubs can be 'satisfied'.

There's no incentive to give us a fair refereeing performance, because our club is too weak to speak up.Onwards to another season ended all because of catastrophically bad officiating.

R14 Panthers v Raiders - Game Day Thread 6 months 5 days ago #26247

• Puss
Shazza - 'more is less' with Peachey, leave him where he is, any wider he don't take Moylans pass for the winner.

Pomoz - Carwright ain't the 'grind out' type. He'll have to earn his stripes in this company.
Last Edit: 6 months 5 days ago by Puss.

R14 Panthers v Raiders - Game Day Thread 6 months 5 days ago #26248

It all been pretty well covered and in short when we are good we are unstoppable and when we are bad we are simply terrible and this game had all of this and more.

The refs have been touched on but shouldn't Gould be addressing this at a senior level and Griffin addressing this with the team?

having followed RL for a great many years i have never seen someone penalised for an "alleged" shoulder charge..........as was Kikau

Its either a shoulder charge or its not......if he's charged he's on report yet he was penalised for what i saw hitting a player too hard because he didn't go on report..........that should make the refs joke calls of the year reel

Tamou continues to baffle and i don't think he is up to this grind as was the strip on him at a critical point.

RCG stands out as our only real enforcer in attack and defence although Kikau tries..maybe he just over plays but we need another enforcer if we are to go deep and i think JFH could be this player and we need him back in this side quick.

Edwards looks very good and gives the impression he will only grow into his new role.

Mansour has inspired DWZ whose runs have changed noticeably since Mansour returned..but Mansour will only get better the more game time he gets but has simply begun how he left which is remarkable considering the injury.

On Cartwright.....the only way i see him breaking back into this squad is through injury to a player......he is not up to this level ATM

And it was touched on......the will to win and jaw dropping finish were good signs but i have more concerns about how they get themselves into these impossible positions.

There appears to be no game management as you would see from the Storm..........there doesn't appear to be anyone who can read the game tactically on the field and its more simply playing with abandon and why the better teams make it hard for us because they can defend and unsettle our team.

We got out of this game by a combination of pure luck and the Raiders thinking they had it won......thats the reality
I still cannot understand why Griffin has made no inroads into our poor discipline, poor decision making on the field

He has a squad which has unbelievable ability but its a side i believe largely untapped because of these dumb plays, penalties and game management

Now for the bye and a good break for those bumps and bruises but Griffin needs to get this squad to begin to think........think about their game plan....think about their execution....think about when to unleash.......think about to grind the other team into the ground and think about their actions on the field how it impacts the team.

Silly penalties and individual errors puts pressure on the team....the only pressure we should be applying is to the other mob.

R14 Panthers v Raiders - Game Day Thread 6 months 4 days ago #26249

• Pomoz
Puss wrote:
Shazza - 'more is less' with Peachey, leave him where he is, any wider he don't take Moylans pass for the winner.

Pomoz - Carwright ain't the 'grind out' type. He'll have to earn his stripes in this company.
We'll have to agree to disagree on Cartwright. He has earned his stripes by what he delivered for the team in 2016 when playing out of position. Cartwright delivered 11 line break assists, 77 offloads, 10 try assists, 60 tackle busts and 10 line breaks. Oh and he scored 8 tries. Incidentally, 4 more than Moylan. He also made the 3rd most number of tackles in the team. All done from playing most of the year at 5/8th. Sure, he made 33 errors a but (mind you Mansour made 22) and he missed tackles, but we would not have made the finals without him. As a 5/8th his defence was better than every other 5/8th in the NRL.

I'm not saying he shouldn't improve, but I think we forget how many times he created points for us. He has started 2017 with personal issues, injuries and really hasn't been seen. If we judge him on the start to 2017, then we should judge Merrin and Moylan the same. They were all rubbish.
The following user(s) said Thank You   Southernhillfan

R14 Panthers v Raiders - Game Day Thread 6 months 4 days ago #26251

• Puss
"playing most of the year @ 5/8" - and this option may no longer be available to him, that leaves the forwards.

I re iterate, Cartwright is not the grind out type, more of a flair exponent that will need to re invent himself to
force his way back into this current lineup.

R14 Panthers v Raiders - Game Day Thread 6 months 3 days ago #26252

• shazza
After watching a replay of the game, i decided to reread my comments just to see if I'd missed anything significant. I was shocked to see that I'd failed to mention the wonderful contribution young Cleary made to the team's historic win. Historic in the sense that no team has ever done what we did (to win) in the final 2 minutes of a match. He was targeted from the get-go by the huge Raiders forwards and he didn't take a backward step the entire 80 minutes. Cleary had a much better game this week than he did in the rout of the Bulldogs the week before. He took much more responsibility for decision making this week and as a result had a much positive impact on the game. He really is at his best when he takes it upon himself to be the driver and let Moylan do his thing without the responsibility of thinking too much. His clean slate off the boot was also much appreciated. Having the number one goal kicker in the League in your team definitely gives your side a walk up start.

As for playing Peachey in the forwards Pomoz we'll definitely have to agree to disagree. He would have been just as likely, if not more, to have taken the pass from Moylan, playing in the centres than he would shagged out and busted playing in the forwards. For a person who remembers Cartwright's 2016 contribution so vividly you've got a very foggy memory of what Peachey brought to the table playing in the 3/4's.

Is it just me, or have Merrins energy levels gone up at least 30% since his break-up with Sally Fitzgibbins?

Shazza
Last Edit: 6 months 3 days ago by shazza. Reason: spacing

R14 Panthers v Raiders - Game Day Thread 6 months 3 days ago #26253

• Pomoz
shazza wrote:

As for playing Peachey in the forwards Pomoz we'll definitely have to agree to disagree. He would have been just as likely, if not more, to have taken the pass from Moylan, playing in the centres than he would shagged out and busted playing in the forwards. For a person who remembers Cartwright's 2016 contribution so vividly you've got a very foggy memory of what Peachey brought to the table playing in the 3/4's.

Shazza
Eh? The only thing foggy is your glasses. I said and I quote:
Pomoz wrote:
A few thoughts on the game.
- The centres are getting a cold at the moment and Blake's skill is wasted by the the lateral crabbing of Moylan since he gets no room to move. Mind you, Whare is down on form and looks like he should be in Reggies. Surely Peachey deserves a starting spot in the centres?
Forwards?

R14 Panthers v Raiders - Game Day Thread 6 months 3 days ago #26254

i wasn't aware of this news and goes a long way to explain his early season poor form......clearly had other things on his mind.

On a personal level i am sorry for him the relationship has ended.......hope he rebounds from this as well.

R14 Panthers v Raiders - Game Day Thread 6 months 1 day ago #26255

• shazza
'more is less' with Peachey, leave him where he is, any wider he don't take Moylans pass for the winner.

Sorry Pomoz, on checking I see Puss was the offender. I glimpsed your name at the head of the post and got it in my head the proposition (leaving Peachey in the forwards) came from you.

I couldn't agree more about the 3/4's getting a cold but I'm too smart to be criticizing Moylan right after he's engineered a miracle win. We're damned if we do and damned if we don't with Moylan at 5/8. Except for encouraging Cleary to exert more authority/control, I'm buggered if I know how to get the outside backs more involved.

shazza
The following user(s) said Thank You   Pomoz

R14 Panthers v Raiders - Game Day Thread 6 months 1 day ago #26256

• Puss
...... aahhh yes, the 'offender'.

You know what, I ain't going to apologise for having a different opinion,
or wishing to promote debate and discussion. Luv me Panthers, but I
can do it from a distance, just like souf, Kevin, Talent Scout etc etc.

R14 Panthers v Raiders - Game Day Thread 6 months 1 day ago #26257

• Panther Jack
  • It's bad luck i swear.
Puss wrote:
...... aahhh yes, the 'offender'.

You know what, I ain't going to apologise for having a different opinion,
or wishing to promote debate and discussion. Luv me Panthers, but I
can do it from a distance, just like souf, Kevin, Talent Scout etc etc.

I don't think Shazza was having a go at you, he just used a word that he thought best described mistaking you for someone else.

We all know Shazza has a journalist-esque feeling with his posts so he tends to use more 'sophisticated' wording.He wasn't saying what you said was wrong.
Last Edit: 6 months 1 day ago by Panther Jack.
  • Page: