Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: R18 Panthers v Sea Eagles - Game Day Thread

R18 Panthers v Sea Eagles - Game Day Thread 5 months 1 week ago #26356

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 146
This is the place.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

R18 Panthers v Sea Eagles - Game Day Thread 5 months 1 week ago #26357

• Puss
  • Thank you received: 256
12 mins in we lead 6-4.
Are we smart enough to match some neat possession plays
and mount some pressure of our own ????

R18 Panthers v Sea Eagles - Game Day Thread 5 months 1 week ago #26358

• Puss
after 27 mins, 7-2 the penalties in favour Jack, how we going ????

R18 Panthers v Sea Eagles - Game Day Thread 5 months 1 week ago #26359

Nice to lead at halftime but we need to improve to bring this home. Very little structure and plenty of missed tackles again. Fingers crossed

R18 Panthers v Sea Eagles - Game Day Thread 5 months 1 week ago #26360

I didn't know we recruited Henry. ;) Usually we are on the other end of that , but I'll take it.

R18 Panthers v Sea Eagles - Game Day Thread 5 months 1 week ago #26361

• Rabbit
  • Thank you received: 60
That was very satisfying, Manly had a better attack and a better defense than us, but still lost! Exactly the same way we lost to the Cowboys, they finally did all that grafting stuff that other teams do, like chasing the kicks hard and actually contesting the kicks, and when the niggles started, they stayed out of it and nearly got a try out of it when Manly put too many players in the altercation.
I agree with Moylan's comments in post match interview, He said they need to work on there attack - Moylan to a straight running back rower = it is so obvious = now they have to turn one back inside or cut them out and pick up a center!!
+ They have to at least look like they're going to create some second phase even if they don't.
We did our homework on them as well, Manly really uses their backs to take a lot of the hit ups = we were ready for it! They have carved other teams up, down the middle.
The halves finally read the tempo of the game and put on the appropriate plays. Yay = Win ugly if you have to but just win. It's not pretty playing the percentages. But it's better than losing.

R18 Panthers v Sea Eagles - Game Day Thread 5 months 1 week ago #26362

• mutley
  • Thank you received: 205
A much improved effort, especially in defence. Our attack still looks short on ideas, especially close to the line.

R18 Panthers v Sea Eagles - Game Day Thread 5 months 1 week ago #26363

• Puss
.... just wiping the egg off my face. A fair share of possession produced a larger dose of intent
which was sadly lacking in last weeks she mozzie. What a difference a week makes eh ? Now
the hard part, see if you can repeat that effort over and over again.

Goulds ref spray seemed to do the trick (as reported by rabbit) and Jack would say it's long
overdue. If it's gonna make a difference then 'spray away'.

My only concern .... did the 14-4 penalty count in our favour simply disguise our performance?
Last Edit: 5 months 1 week ago by Puss.

R18 Panthers v Sea Eagles - Game Day Thread 5 months 1 week ago #26364

• TalentScout
  • Thank you received: 82
Messy and disorganized..
Lucky to get the 2pts..

A lot of dumb footy being played.
Frustrating to watch.

R18 Panthers v Sea Eagles - Game Day Thread 5 months 1 week ago #26365

• shazza
  • Thank you received: 161
Well, we’re still alive in NRL season 2017 but even our most optimistic fans would have to concede we’re on life support with the much sought after ‘form reversal/revival’ still little more than a pipedream.

If the choice is between winning ugly or losing pretty, I’ll take ugly every time but it doesn’t mean I have to like it. One thing I have to say about our side, even though they didn’t play particularly well, they played tough and maybe at this time of the year where every game is a ‘must win’ affair, the ability to hang in the fight and grind out a result is as important as a well-structured defence, a well thought out game plan and a fluent, clinical, well executed attack. Rubbish! A well-structured defence, a well thought out game plan and a fluent, clinical, well executed attack is the very minimum we should be striving for and right now, apart from a willing, pretty well-structured defence, we have none of the offensive attributes required to progress to the pointy end of the season.

Most teams would salivate at the opportunity of getting inside the opposition’s red-zone for extended periods. The Panthers are totally unique in that they are much more likely to score a try from the other side of halfway than they are of going over from in close. I don’t recall seeing a single set move employed by our lot when attempting to score a try from close range. Passing the ball, one out, to a barging forward does not, in my book, constitute a set play and if last night is any indication, that’s about all we have to offer. With a 14-4 penalty count in our favor and around 60% of possession, we had enough ball and opportunities to win two games of football, but our total lack of cohesion and purpose in attack saw us floundering in our attempts to put the Sea Eagles away for the count.

Leilani Latu, off the bench, was close to MoM. His bullocking runs and uncompromising defence were a constant headache for Manly as was the much improved form of fellow prop James Tamou. Isiah Yeo was back to something approaching his best form, as was his second-row partner Corey Harawira-Naera who posted his best defensive effort for the year. Both played strongly for the full 80 minutes. Trent Merrin ground out almost 200 metres and tackled himself into the ground. His first half in particular was outstanding.

Mitch Rein had another strong game. His service from dummy-half was decisive and accurate and his defence was impeccable. Why he was replaced at half-time by Sioni Katao is totally beyond me, or more to the point, why Katao was on the bench in the first place is another one of life’s little mysteries. Villiam Kikau, Ollie Clark and Moses Leota must be wondering the same thing.

Dylan Edwards was sound at the back and ran over 150 metres for the match. If Edwards has a fault right now, it’s his desire to get involved at every opportunity. It’s called Tedesco syndrome and he needs to be a bit more selective if he wants to enjoy a long and healthy career in first grade.

Cleary had a solid game in attack and defence and his general kicking, in the main, was attacking and spot on. His goal kicking was again perfect.
DWZ was the standout back with an electric performance of broken field running that had the crowd on their feet and cheering for more. His strong carries off his line and rock solid defence were also features of his 5 star performance.

I think Trent Barrett was a bit disingenuous in his post-match assessment of our effort.
As he pointed out, we did only score from ‘a kick and a barge over’ off the back of a ‘mountain of possession’ from a 14-4 penalty count, but he didn’t mention the two slashing ‘legal’ tries we scored that were disallowed, one by an over-zealous on-field referee and the other by a spatially challenged video referee, or the fact that his side’s defensive line was indeed offside for most of the game. ‘If you can’t do the time, don’t do the crime’, no good bitching about it in the post-match wash-up.

I honestly don’t know where we go from here. We won and winning can definitely be habit forming but unless scoring tries moves a few rungs up our priorities ladder, we will battle to win games where the penalty count is a bit closer to even.

Shazza

R18 Panthers v Sea Eagles - Game Day Thread 5 months 1 week ago #26366

• Panther Jack
  • It's bad luck i swear.
  • Thank you received: 108
Puss wrote:
after 27 mins, 7-2 the penalties in favour Jack, how we going ????
It took 17 games and an erratic opposition team but we finally smashed a side in the penalty count.

About fucking time.

R18 Panthers v Sea Eagles - Game Day Thread 5 months 1 week ago #26367

• Panther Jack
  • It's bad luck i swear.
  • Thank you received: 108
Kind of funny though how our most 'ref helped' win still involved us getting disallowed legal tries :lol: :lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You   mutley

R18 Panthers v Sea Eagles - Game Day Thread 5 months 1 week ago #26368

• Dufeyz
  • Thank you received: 44
Every Week, my Dad and I wish the refs a good game. (mostly sarcastically). One game, we forgot to cheer them on, which was that Roosters game this year. Finally it paid off lol.