Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: R19 Warriors v Panthers - Game Day Thread

R19 Warriors v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 4 days ago #26370

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 146
This is the place.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

R19 Warriors v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 4 days ago #26371

• mutley
  • Thank you received: 200
A few late changes, with Moylan withdrawing from the team (hamstring) & Tyrone May to debut at 5/8. Browne starts, with Campbell-Gillard on the bench. Merrin will lead the team tonight.

1. Dylan EDWARDS
2. Josh MANSOUR
3. Tyrone PEACHEY
4. Waqa BLAKE
5. Dallin WATENE-ZELEZNIAK
19. Tyrone MAY
7. Nathan CLEARY
8. James TAMOU
9. Mitch REIN
16. Tim BROWNE
11. Corey HARAWIRA-NAERA
12. Isaah YEO
13. Trent MERRIN (c)

10. Reagan CAMPBELL-GILLARD
14. Sione KATOA
15. Leilani LATU
17. James FISHER-HARRIS
Last Edit: 3 months 3 days ago by mutley.

R19 Warriors v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 3 days ago #26372

• mutley
  • Thank you received: 200
Our NYC side have had a solid 28-4 win over the last placed Warriors.
Last Edit: 3 months 3 days ago by mutley.

R19 Warriors v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 3 days ago #26373

• Bryan
  • Thank you received: 42
Sorry Moylan's out, but very keen to see Tyrone May's debut. Hope he brings us a win!

R19 Warriors v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 3 days ago #26374

Whilst its always hard to see a player injured but i think tonights game showed why Moylan has some serious choices with his game.
Cleary was remarkable and his performance was simply amazing with his running and organising....and he relished not having Moylan taking the oxygen from his game.

That and the form of RCG was the good but gees there is a lot of bad in this team.

I keep saying this coach is out of his depth but maybe i have held too many of the players in too high a regard and they are simply not up to it.

Cleary and Gillard were clear standouts in tonights game with the rest of the team simply going through the motions in my view.

I noted we played a lot straighter and with less chaotic football we seem to play with Moylan on the field.

It was a win and whilst i hope Moylans injury is not bad, i hope he misses the next couple of games so we can see how this site adjusts to Cleary running the side and if there is a difference to how we perform.
The following user(s) said Thank You   Pomoz

R19 Warriors v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 3 days ago #26375

Some questionable defense at times from our edges, but hey, we were playing the warriors.

But what a revelation our attack! Cleary the obvious standout, but what an effort from RCG and Edwards. That 2nd half try through the middle was just the way to beat the warriors, and showed to me more of Cleary gameplay and vision than we have seen in the past.

Interesting for sure that Moylen wasn't there to call the shots

R19 Warriors v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 3 days ago #26376

• mr walker
  • Thank you received: 129
Well winning a 'must win' game is always good.

Still some periods where we seem to lose our way, and the binning was way over the top & could have cost us the game. I'm starting to think Jack is on the mark with the whistleblowers and us.

Cleary really stood up when we needed him, & RCG is well & truly our #1 forward - trust he is getting a share of Tamou's cash! Edwards is getting better every game.

I guess Hook has realised that Browne offers little impact off the bench, so elected to use our best forward off the bench to provide impact??

On Cleary, it truly is hard to believe he's only 19 and had just about 1 year in NRL. He always puts his body on the line in attack & defence, and never seems to panic. Occasional erratic kick is the only blemish, and that will come with experience. I noted that Ennis on Fox highlighted that Nathan never throws the ball to someone in a worse position them him, and just takes the tackle. Can't remember Walshy doing that :)

Anyway, 8th spot is there for us if we are good enough, but that early season record & losing to the useless bunnies twice has made each week almost sudden death.

Onwards & upwards.
The following user(s) said Thank You   Pomoz

R19 Warriors v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 2 days ago #26377

• shazza
  • Thank you received: 161
On reflection, Friday night’s win over the hapless Warriors was a much better effort than it first appeared. Watching the game live, was hard work as both teams locked horns in what appeared to be a race to the bottom. The Panthers, as has been their way in most of their games this year, showed no indication of having a discernable game plan and the Kiwis were just plain undisciplined. Penrith, to their credit, failed to complete only one or two sets in the first half and only conceded a couple of penalties, which was a vast improvement on recent games, but they still lacked cohesion and anything even resembling a strategy to promote the ball up the field. It was pretty obvious from the get go that the intention was to play the Warriors through the middle and our forwards certainly didn’t shirk their task when it came to exerting maximum pressure on the giant opposition forwards. But apart from creating a lot of collisions and a few hard earned metres for limited strategic gains in field position, our ¾’s saw precious little clean ball and scoring opportunities were practically nil.

Campbell-Gillard, who came off the bench in the 20th minute, Yeo and Merrin were the best of our forwards in the first half and starting prop Brown had his best game for the season. Harawira worked hard on the edges and was rewarded with our opening try off a deft Cleary grubber. Mitch Rein was busy and effective at dummy-half and tackled tirelessly before being inexplicitly replaced by Katao in the second half. Katao is a very good footballer who will undoubtedly be a great asset to the team for years to come, but to have him on the bench at this time makes absolutely no sense what-so- ever, especially in a torrid physical game where the addition of an extra front-rower would have been greatly appreciated.

Tyrone May, in for late withdrawal Moylan, despite a couple of early defensive lapses scored a try on debut and looked every bit at home in first grade. Despite a couple of uncharacteristic handling blemishes Edwards tackled bravely and was tireless in attack. He popped up all over the field and was a constant threat to the Warriors’ defence. Mansour was well below his destructive best but improved noticeably in the latter part of the game.

The sin binning of Corey Harawira-Naera just after half time was one of the worst decisions I’ve seen in living memory and I assume will be the subject of much debate and a referee demotion in the days ahead. It should have been the turning point of the game, with Auckland scoring twice to regain the ascendency while Harawira was cooling his heals in the shed. Under the circumstances (and with stand-in captain Merrin gone for the duration), we could easily have been forgiven for accepting our fate that it wasn’t going to be our night but instead of turning it up, and to their great credit, the team lifted as Nathan Cleary took control of proceedings. He raced in for two scintillating tries before bombing for Waqa Blake to put the final nail in Warriors’ coffin.

It was a win based on individual brilliance rather than an exhibition of quality team work and there’s no getting ‘round the fact that for most of the game our play was just as disjointed and lacking in purpose and creativity as it’s been all year. It’s undeniable however that what was clearly lacking in quality was compensated for with a really gritty fightback against overwhelming odds. We’ve got the players to go a long way in this competition but unfortunately, as yet, we simply don’t have the team.

shazza

R19 Warriors v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 2 days ago #26378

• Panther Jack
  • It's bad luck i swear.
  • Thank you received: 108
We've beaten the Warriors twice this year despite a player from our team being sinbinned in each game, with the latter sinbinning being agreed by many to be the worst since 1908.

But it's only bad refereeing if a team plays like dipshits and loses the penalty count 14-4.

R19 Warriors v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 1 day ago #26380

• Pomoz
  • Thank you received: 204
steamboatfarmer wrote:
Whilst its always hard to see a player injured but i think tonights game showed why Moylan has some serious choices with his game.
Cleary was remarkable and his performance was simply amazing with his running and organising....and he relished not having Moylan taking the oxygen from his game.

That and the form of RCG was the good but gees there is a lot of bad in this team.

I keep saying this coach is out of his depth but maybe i have held too many of the players in too high a regard and they are simply not up to it.

Cleary and Gillard were clear standouts in tonights game with the rest of the team simply going through the motions in my view.

I noted we played a lot straighter and with less chaotic football we seem to play with Moylan on the field.

It was a win and whilst i hope Moylans injury is not bad, i hope he misses the next couple of games so we can see how this site adjusts to Cleary running the side and if there is a difference to how we perform.
We did play straighter and it was quite noticeable. Cleary also mixed up his kicks better. Brandy deserves a rap for his coaching. Moylan just needs to learn when to let Cleary go, he has different skills and should let others take over sometimes. You don't always need to make the miracle play Moysa!

R19 Warriors v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 11 hours ago #26383

If Alexander has had this impact on Cleary..brilliant and is a testimony to the kid to engage and put into practice what he is being coached.

Just on the upcoming game we now have Merrin out for 6 to 8 weeks which should open the door for Late to get more game time and i would like to see him be less busy but when needed hit like he did last year and get the odd pass away like he did last year.......just think he is another who is trying too hard

Like to see Seti on the bench.....also to be asked to impact like he did last year.

R19 Warriors v Panthers - Game Day Thread 2 months 4 weeks ago #26384

• Rabbit
  • Thank you received: 60
In a interview during the week, Cleary said that him and Moylan we're still working their combination out.
To put in my two cents, I would say after that display, Cleary runs the show in the Red Zone and only uses Moylan as an option.

Note 1. To use the storm as a template they run their set plays from all different parts of the field but mainly let Cronk take Charge in the Red Zone with his superior kicking game.

I think Moylan should be in charge of our set plays further up the field as well as having free reign further up the field.

Note 2. Moylan does have superior hand coordination and great footwork, as well as his ability to out think a defender. His ability to run across field and pick up and time a pass to a runner is second to none. But this doesn't work in the Red Zone, the defense is much closer, and the use of jammers can shut down any frenetic attack. Moylan in charge of our attack in the Red Zone has been useless. Our conversion rate in the Red Zone is probably the worst in the competition. I have been saying on every post we don't kick it enough and we don't challenge the kicks when they are kicked. Last weekend that turned on its head with Cleary in charge.

Two completely different mentalities were on show over a fortnight -
Moylan ++. The players in the team when Moylan is attacking in the Red Zone are going to stay deep because they know they're going to have to run onto the ball when Moylan chooses to run across field.
Cleary ++. They're going to have to time their run to chase a kick when Cleary is In Charge of the attack in the Red Zone.

Now this changes your whole mindset outside the playmakers-
Moving the ball from side to side in the NRL in the Red Zone (2017) is currently a low percentage play compared to a kick that has about 30% strike rate.

Other good things that happen when your mentality is to kick in the red zone- (Besides a try)
1. Getting an error by the kick diffuser.
2. The outside defenders don't rush up as much because their always wary of the kick.
3. Players in the defensive line turn their feet and their shoulders to get ready to turn and chase, If they do that shit too early it can be exploited by a good pivot. (Andrew Johns was legendary at it exploiting the turned inside shoulder).
4. A second kick after the first has about a %50 strike rate. And some of those kicks against the Warriors DWZ should of caught it and kicked it again. South's destroyed us with the second kick.

What we saw on the Weekend was clearly the way to go and if we go back to Moylan running the attack in the Red Zone again we deserve to lose. I didn't think until now, we have had any other options than Moylan, He is our best attacker but everybody in the known universe knows Moylan is getting the ball. And that's been a hard "Work Around".
The following user(s) said Thank You   Pomoz, Southernhillfan, steamboatfarmer