Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: R20 Panthers v Titans - Game Day Thread

R20 Panthers v Titans - Game Day Thread 2 months 3 weeks ago #26389

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 146
This is the place.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

R20 Panthers v Titans - Game Day Thread 2 months 3 weeks ago #26390

Carty's return to Intrust Cup has been interesting with 2 x 20 minute stints.

He has shown what he can do with his passing game yet showed what he can do badly in options......heavy strapping on his knee but if he can get up to match fitness he will be a welcome addition if we make it to the finals

Its still a while before kick off to the NRL game but looks like a poor crowd imo at 2.15PM

R20 Panthers v Titans - Game Day Thread 2 months 3 weeks ago #26391

Still a poor crowd at 30 minutes from kickoff. Unless there is a big late rush we will be lucky to reach 10k.

I hope Moylen watched last weeks game, time will tell

R20 Panthers v Titans - Game Day Thread 2 months 3 weeks ago #26392

saw Cleary interviewed on Fox and he said Griffin has asked him to lead the team around again with Moylan to chime in.......lets see if Moylan listened to the Coaches direction.

Only 5 minutes to kick off and if we get 10k that will be a great result.

Not sure what to make of this Titans team and they flogged Cronulla last week in torrential rain so will be buoyed by that win. Panthers will need to on their game for this one.......this is no give me by any stretch

The key to this game will be how Cleary controls it or is allowed to control it........note to self Carty played 5/8th in his second stint today

R20 Panthers v Titans - Game Day Thread 2 months 3 weeks ago #26393

we are lucky to be even at the break but gees we are a mess........Moylan continues to take the oxygen from Cleary and with Moylan we play chaotic football.

Moylan needs a very long break in the Intrust side.......May to partner Cleary

Lets get this side running straight and letting Cleary run the show

If i were Griffin i would take Moylan from the field for the 2nd half and let Cleary run the show.......this is a must win game for Panthers.

R20 Panthers v Titans - Game Day Thread 2 months 3 weeks ago #26394

We are very lucky to be 6-6 at half time, our attack has been pathetic. A lucky intercept and poor opposition has been the only reason we are still in the game.

Wall playing well, his kick and chase in goal should set an example for everyone else.

Moylen - not so good. Injured Edwards in defense, stuffed a try with a stupid tap on. When will he learn to play football instead of trying to be a hero with every play.

Crowd built up after kick off 10-12k

R20 Panthers v Titans - Game Day Thread 2 months 3 weeks ago #26395

i rest my case...this kid Cleary is something very very special

Moylan should be in the Intrust side.......he cripples this side.

R20 Panthers v Titans - Game Day Thread 2 months 3 weeks ago #26396

• Puss
  • Thank you received: 254
Puss should remain in the club, but not in front of a TV.

R20 Panthers v Titans - Game Day Thread 2 months 3 weeks ago #26397

Another game where we played poorly in the first half then turned it on in the second.

Why o why does the team not learn to place an angled kick behind the line into the ingoal until the second half?

Are they being coached to bomb and flat pass in the first half then grubber in the second? Moylen runs the play in the first half, cleary and Wallace in the second?

And why doesn't anyone back up Tahmou when he takes a hit up. The number of times he was looking for an offload with no one around...

Satisfied with the win, but gee we have a lot to learn. If we win this string of home games, we are more or less in the eight (those above us all play each other), but unless we learn to play two halves of smart football, any finals campaign will be short lived.

Our second half was all the more impressive considering how the refs did their best to get the titans back in the game.

Cleary my best, followed by Wallace. Edwards, RCG, Tahmou, and Blake also played well.

Anyone else think Peachey looked like he didn't want to be there?

R20 Panthers v Titans - Game Day Thread 2 months 3 weeks ago #26398

• shazza
  • Thank you received: 161
Just once I’d like to be able to report that we played to our full potential for 80 mins. and thoroughly deserved a comprehensive victory. Alas not this time. We played capably for just 40 minutes and beat an in-form side that in most facets of the game was altogether superior. The Titans are a tough, talented, very well drilled, in-form outfit with attacking options all over the park. If we’d gone in at half-time trailing by 18 points no-one would have been in the least bit surprised, certainly not as surprised as everyone was that we managed to get to the break with the score all square. This despite a first half completion rate of less than 60% typified by 3 lost balls from the first 10 carries. I guess the score was a testament to our side’s defence, particularly the forwards, which was resolute and supportive.

After 35 minutes of underwhelming football, Peachey barrelled Tyrone Roberts, Blake swooped on the resulting loose ball and bolted 60 metres to the black dot to tie up proceedings. 6 all and it was game on. I saw it but I had trouble believing it.

Regan Campbell-Gillard entered the fray at the 20 minute mark and had an immediate impact. His powerhouse running created havoc in the Titans’ ranks, his game stats were nothing short of remarkable. He ran for 181 meters, almost as many as Waqa Blake, and made 28, mostly high impact, tackles. I don’t know what his post contact meterage was but it was noticeably the best of any player from either side.

Moses Leota made the most of his elevation to the top grade and made an immediate impact with the first full blooded tackle of the game. He was an absolute standout in defence but for some inexplicable reason spent most of the game on the warm-up bike.
Isiah Yeo played his usual whole hearted 80 minutes, Latu was effective off the bench, Tamou was strong and Corey Harawira was busy on the edges.

Peter Wallace, despite the long layoff, gave sharp accurate service from dummy half and tackled himself to a standstill.

Waqa Blake, despite some poor ball security (he wasn’t Robinson Crusoe on this count) in the first half, taunted the Titans backline defence with his tear arse power running. There are still plenty of inconsistencies in his game but when he gets it right, he’s positively unstoppable. He was rewarded for his efforts yesterday with a couple fine tries, one, a spectacular solo effort and the other, finishing off the best constructed four pointer of the match.

DWZ and Mansour both had strong second halves and Dylan Edwards delivered another wonderful display of running football. He was a rock under the high ball, tackled strongly, including a try-saving hit on a rampaging Conrad Hurrell, and continually put his hand up for hard carries out of defence. His decision making when he chimed into the backline was invariably spot on and his ball playing was excellent.

MoM was again Nathan Cleary whose cool decision making and execution was pretty much impeccable. In the 70th minute he pelted a cutout pass 10 meters across the face of 2 or 3 teammates for DWZ to stroll over untouched for the try that finally put the game out of reach of an opposition that had no intention of going away. Cleary’s defence was also first class.

Moylan scored a sharp intercept try (on one leg) and set up another, so his positive contribution to the win can’t be denied. He was far from 100% fit and it was hard to miss that he was playing a lot wider, well away from Nathan Cleary’s work zone. He was more selective with his involvement and as a result his game, and the team, was much better for it. Hopefully he’ll be fit for Thursday’s clash with the Dogs because there is absolutely no doubt we are a much more potent force with him than without.

Bryce Cartwright delivered a near MoM performance in his reserve grade return to football. He was right back to his confident silky ball playing best and appeared much more selective with his offloads than he had been earlier in the season. He actually looked as though he was enjoying himself which was certainly a first for season 2017.

Shazza
Last Edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by shazza.

R20 Panthers v Titans - Game Day Thread 2 months 3 weeks ago #26399

• Dufeyz
  • Thank you received: 44
shazza wrote:
, finishing off the best constructed four pointer of the match.

Shazza

I Disagree - It was the best constructed four pointer of our season. We have scored some flashy, brilliant tries. However, as far as a real set play goes, this try is a great sign. Sitting on the Eastern Stand, as soon as Waqa started running you just knew he was in. The TV doesnt do it justice, Waqa ran so incredibly hard and fast he was impossible to stop.

Waqa blake has become one of our best players, and amazingly i believe he can still get better. Its great that we have a genuine speedster in our side, we have lacked this since Jennings.

R20 Panthers v Titans - Game Day Thread 2 months 3 weeks ago #26401

Griffin to my great surprise used the word "frantic" to describe our first half in the press conference.

Its the first overt sign he actually is seeing what we have been seeing and describing for months.

Then lo and behold Moylan leaves the field and we run straighter, harder, roll the ball in goal for repeat sets and we surge to a win.

I have to disagree with you Shazza re Moylan.

I think the guy is a liability and needs time in lower grades to reset his game, career and his future.

I saw enough from May to suggest he could partner Cleary in the coming weeks.....and hopefully we get Carty back a s a wide running backrower where he can create havoc.

With Dragons and Eels both winning we need to win almost every game now to make a run at the 8......and Moylan should be part of it!

R20 Panthers v Titans - Game Day Thread 2 months 3 weeks ago #26403

• Dufeyz
  • Thank you received: 44
I'm not so sure. Titans are a tough, gritty football side. They are polar opposites to the warriors, who at times don't even try. The attack didnt click into gear until half time, and Moylan was still on the field. They even got a very slick backline play happening to send Blake over.

I definitely would not be sending Moylan to reggies. (If he needs a week off for that injury, then so be it)

Look at the positives, not the negatives.
The following user(s) said Thank You   Rabbit