Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: R22 Panthers v Tigers - Game Day Thread

R22 Panthers v Tigers - Game Day Thread 2 months 1 week ago #26434

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 146
This is the place.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

R22 Panthers v Tigers - Game Day Thread 2 months 1 week ago #26435

• shazza
  • Thank you received: 161
The weekend results (so far) show just what a precarious hold we have on 8th position.
All the teams we have beaten on our recent run to the finals have performed ingloriously.
We don't need to beat the Tigers this afternoon, to restore a measure of credence to our claim as a genuine finals contender, we need to give them a genuine bath.
Shazza
The following user(s) said Thank You   mutley

R22 Panthers v Tigers - Game Day Thread 2 months 1 week ago #26436

• mutley
  • Thank you received: 200

R22 Panthers v Tigers - Game Day Thread 2 months 1 week ago #26437

yes the door is wide open......its up the players now to make the statement

that doesn't come in the form of points but effort......i want to see a team who believes they should be in the 8 turn up

Manly just cleaned out the Roosters so there are 4 teams who have showed up this weekend...........Storm,Eagles,Broncos and Eels

We need Panthers to show up as real contenders and make a final spot their own

R22 Panthers v Tigers - Game Day Thread 2 months 1 week ago #26438

its clear we are a class above but our execution and game management is poor once again.......hopefully Griffin can reset at the break and doubt this mob can run over us but we are sure looking like rough atm and not showing any of the form Storm,Broncos and Manly showed this weekend.
Hope we unleash in the 2nd half

R22 Panthers v Tigers - Game Day Thread 2 months 1 week ago #26439

• Rabbit
  • Thank you received: 60
No short kicking game in the red zone again!

R22 Panthers v Tigers - Game Day Thread 2 months 1 week ago #26440

• Puss
  • Thank you received: 254
geez, nothin to write home about, it was an awful game.
Errors from both sides had me lookin fwd to an ad-break.
The 'home' faithful deserved better. Sorry I can't see us
causing too much trouble in semi finals.

R22 Panthers v Tigers - Game Day Thread 2 months 1 week ago #26441

yes was very ugly and its been evident all year but where is a set play from us in the red zone?

Rabbs touched on it but we had no idea against an ordinary side......imagine how quickly we would run out of options against Broncos and Storm.
I thought Cleary had a very quiet game and not sure if he overthought it but even he seemed to push passes and rely simply on the mid field bomb.

The one play we put the ball through hands we scored when Blake stood up his defender but other then that we seemed bereft of any semblance of an attack with potency.....mind you the Tigers spoiled and got way too close but it was a win.

Cowboys on the other hand are no second string outfit like the Tigers although they have injury concerns they do have set plays and a very solid defence system.

On this performance i wouldn't be buying a series of finals tickets.......will all end in a heap in week 1.

Surely Gould can see Griffin has no ability????

R22 Panthers v Tigers - Game Day Thread 2 months 1 week ago #26442

• Rabbit
  • Thank you received: 60
That game was played more like a touch football match. It was the Tigers best option to play that way. Having said that, the game was taylor made for Moylan. He would of tore that game up.

R22 Panthers v Tigers - Game Day Thread 2 months 1 week ago #26443

• richo
  • Thank you received: 109
Puss wrote:
geez, nothin to write home about, it was an awful game.
Errors from both sides had me lookin fwd to an ad-break.
The 'home' faithful deserved better. Sorry I can't see us
causing too much trouble in semi finals.

It wasn't awful. It wasn't pretty but certainly awful is harsh.

The Tigers were very spirited and we were, well what we have been for the most part this season.

I have been as frustrated as most but then I read someone claims we have won 9 from our last 11. Given our history, perhaps sometimes we expect too much, particularly given we are I believe the youngest side in the competition.

I know where you are coming from but we got the job done and I think I saw enough today to suggest we are on the up and up.
The following user(s) said Thank You   mutley

R22 Panthers v Tigers - Game Day Thread 2 months 1 week ago #26444

• Griggsy
  • Thank you received: 21
Griffen has absolutely no coaching ability. Imagine our team with a quality coach like Hasler or similar.

We have no attacking ability in the opposition 20. It is embarrassing. We should have won that game by 40 plus.

The sooner Gould gets rid of Griffen, the better we will do.

R22 Panthers v Tigers - Game Day Thread 2 months 1 week ago #26445

• mr walker
  • Thank you received: 129
Well, when we were 2 for 9, we would have been more than happy to be in the 8 with a month to go & have our destiny in our own hands. That said, watching our team play, which is what we used to do for enjoyment, is actually bordering on painful.

The tiges have a poor team. Apart from Woods, not one of their forwards would make pretty much any other clubs 1st grade lineup. Tedesco can be dangerous but overall they offer not much - perhaps that's why the are 15th??

The form of Edwards, Blake & Yeo is encouraging & RCG & Wallace never let us down. For us to progress in this comp, we need Moylan's attack for sure.

I think we need a better option than Browne, we have moved way past Whare & I don't see what having Katoa on the bench does for us?

Maybe we are in for a exciting ride, maybe not, but we are a long way ahead of where we looked like being on the table a few months ago.

R22 Panthers v Tigers - Game Day Thread 2 months 1 week ago #26446

• shazza
  • Thank you received: 161
I had one wish as I headed off down the hill to the game yesterday, not that we post a record score or that young Cleary, despite all the media hype, has a standout game, or that Cartwright returns to career best form, or that RCG dominates his overrated representative nemesis Aaron Woods, or even that we win the game. My wish was that I could come home after an enjoyable afternoon of exciting football and finally write a positive, glowing report about my beloved, but regrettably under-performing, Panthers.

Despite some glaring defensive lapses, periods of poor ball security and a completion rate in the mid-sixties, the opening 40 mins was the best half of football we’ve played all year. The scant 2 point margin we held over the tenacious Tigers at the break bore no resemblance to the true state of the game. With an ounce of luck, and a bit more discipline, we could easily have gone to sheds at half time 20 points clear. With two tries denied in the first 15 mins, and a domination of possession & field position it appeared only a matter of time before the “black attack” kicked into gear and so, more or less, it turned out to be. When Peachey swooped on a dropped ball in the 20th minute for his first legal touchdown of the afternoon it looked as though the floodgates were about to open. When Cartwright came on with just 10 minutes to the break he initiated arguably the best ¾’s passing raid of the season which culminated in DWZ flying over in the corner off a beautifully timed Waqa Blake pass (Waqa passes, who knew?)

The less said about the two Tigers tries the better, the Panthers defence and the video referee did themselves no credit whatsoever.

Corey Harrawirra-Naera (on the right) and Isiah Yeo (on the left) both had outstanding games. But for a handful of unforced errors on the part of 22 year-old Harrawirra, MoM honours would have been shared by our two talented, workaholic backrowers. Ironman, Isiah Yeo (3 off-loads, 26 tackles) was simply outstanding and produced a near faultless display on his way to collecting yet another top gong.

21 year-old Edwards (10 tackle breaks) needs to be a bit more selective with his running, like Tedesco, he has a tendency to over-cook the goose, often putting valour ahead of discretion. It’s a pity because his undeniable ball skills are often put on the back burner, subjugated by his overwhelming desire to “take on” the line at every opportunity. One thing for certain though, he’s a huge talent with plenty of improvement still to come, little wonder the ‘powers that be’ are moving heaven and earth to wrap him up for the long term.

Moses Leota was aggressive and effective in both attack and defence but was once again given precious little game time. Brown played well enough and certainly didn’t shirk the hard work in the middle of the ruck, but I still don’t understand how this far less mobile and decidedly less talented journeyman gets more minutes than the, former 20’s player of the year, Leota. Regan Campbell-Gillard, who came on halfway through the first half and was again sidelined towards the back end of the game, still managed the 2nd highest number of tackles for the game with 30 and terrorized the Tigers forwards with his full throttle charges into the fray. The way he attacks the line smacks of suicidal tendencies. It’s either that or he simply doesn’t understand the concept of fear.

DWZ , who scored a double, was outstanding on the wing and did a lot of mopping up at the back. He supported his full-back with his safe catching and good positional play and made countless hard-yakker carries out of our defensive red-zone. Josh Mansour on the opposite side of the field also put in a whole hearted performance, posting a hard won 180 metres on the stats sheet.

Katao was lively (off the bench in the second half) but for the life of me I don’t understand the upside to having a second hooker on the bench when Peter Wallace plays full tilt for 80 minute and giant, mobile, try-scoring, in-form Villiame Kikau wallows in the reserves eyeing off potential suitors for his future services.

Tyrone put in a genuine First Grade performance at 5/8 creating the perfect link between Cleary and his ¾’s. He passed early and long and as a result the outside backs enjoyed a degree of room that till recently has been totally alien to them.
Waqa Blake and Tyrone Peachey were in top form and certainly benefitted from the wealth of quick and creative service they received from Cleary, May, Cartwright, CHN and Yeo.

It’s only one game and it was against the second last team in the competition but the signs are good and with natural improvement that comes with success we could well cause some big upsets come the finals. We can only dream.

Shazza

R22 Panthers v Tigers - Game Day Thread 2 months 1 week ago #26447

• Panther Jack
  • It's bad luck i swear.
  • Thank you received: 108
If Cleary joined Tigers sooner, they would be much higher than 15th.

We beat a much better team than we think.