Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: R23 Panthers v Cowboys - Game Day Thread

R23 Panthers v Cowboys - Game Day Thread 2 months 6 days ago #26451

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 146
This is the place.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

R23 Panthers v Cowboys - Game Day Thread 2 months 6 days ago #26452

Just over three hours to kick-off and I can't wait.

No update to the team list yet, but Moylen expected to play, and Brown to start with RCG to the bench.

R23 Panthers v Cowboys - Game Day Thread 2 months 6 days ago #26453

Moylen is on the field for the warm-up, as is May. No sign of Katoa

R23 Panthers v Cowboys - Game Day Thread 2 months 6 days ago #26454

Correction- Katoa is one the field

R23 Panthers v Cowboys - Game Day Thread 2 months 6 days ago #26455

6-10 at halftime.

Not going too bad, cowboys deserve an oscar for diving, there naturally good at milking too

R23 Panthers v Cowboys - Game Day Thread 2 months 6 days ago #26456

A very good second half 24-16, only one point off my 9 point win prediction.

Tahmou MOM for mine, sauce a close second.

Quite a difference with May on the field for the final 20.

Moylen's comeback was a bit mixed, while he ran ok, he played like he was wearing blinkers, and still has the hospital pass in his game.

Hopefully they all watch the video and realise that peachey needs the ball with room to play, not the close pass in the ruck.

All in all a good win against very determined opposition.

R23 Panthers v Cowboys - Game Day Thread 2 months 6 days ago #26457

• richo
  • Thank you received: 109
Gutsy.

I have nothing but admiration for the boys after tonights win.

Yes I know some may say the Cowboys were down on troops but when you are down by 10 against a quality side and come back to win credit where credit is due. My only criticism would be the fact we should and could have put the game beyond doubt much earlier than we did.

Really happy with the win. Good night, good atmosphere and good performance with the prospect we are getting better each week,
The following user(s) said Thank You   mutley, Southernhillfan, Bryan

R23 Panthers v Cowboys - Game Day Thread 2 months 5 days ago #26458

• Bryan
  • Thank you received: 42
I agree. I haven't posted for a few weeks now, just wanted to watch the team's progress and get an idea of where we are. But, after tonight's win, I felt the need to merely say that I don't think the team - or the coach - has been getting anywhere near the credit they deserve. The team has won something like 10 out of the last 12 games, and one of those losses was on the bell against the Cowboys. True, we haven't been playing teams like the Storm or Roosters, but we have played Manly, the Cowboys, Raiders and beaten them all.

The media in general, and some posters on this forum, still question the tone and style of the team's play and their victories. To me, that misses the point. This team has found a way to win, full stop. They may not have won pretty or stylishly, but they have won and kept winning, at a time when their season was on the line. In doing so, Cleary has stepped up and taken charge where he needed to, and injuries to Merrin, Moylan, Cartwright and others have allowed the Mays, Leotas, Kitoas etc to get valuable time in first grade and build our depth.

I'm not suggesting that the team cannot improve or that they deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as the Storm. But the fact that they have developed a winning habit at a time when a couple of loses would have meant the season was gone speaks of a very hard-nosed, resilient attitude. I like that attitude and mentality more than our winning run at the back end of last season. That felt like a carnival. This season has been much more of a grind and, when the chips were down, the team - and coach - stepped up.

We may or may not make the finals, and we may or may not go deep into them. But if attitude counts, we should give a good account of ourselves for the rest of the season.

Well done, Panthers. You've made me proud.
The following user(s) said Thank You   mutley, Puss, Pomoz, mr walker, Southernhillfan

R23 Panthers v Cowboys - Game Day Thread 2 months 5 days ago #26459

• mutley
  • Thank you received: 200
I think we took another step up last night.

The Cowboys are the type of team that can get 1 ahead & defend that for 60 minutes if need be, and will only be beaten if you seriously challenge them, which we did. Yes, they were down on troops, but you can only play what us in front of you, and as I have already said, they are still a great defensive unit.

We still need to work on our attack, and in particular 5th play options, but we are headed in the right direction.

Thanks to other results this weekend, we are now in a position where 4th spot is a very real possibility if we can win the next 3 games. If we play those 3 games like we did last night, we will go a long way towards achieving that.
The following user(s) said Thank You   steamboatfarmer

R23 Panthers v Cowboys - Game Day Thread 2 months 5 days ago #26460

Just like our theme song, guts and determination saw us through.

The attitude of our younger players is a sight to behold. much is spoken of how cool and calm Cleary is, and the same applies to a few others. Edwards had a bit of a tough time at the back, dropping a couple of bombs, but never did nerves or attitude seem to overwhelm him.

Corey played 80 minutes (as did Yeo), tiredly hitting the. All up and eating the meters. Not to mention the tackle count. It's amazing to think how young these two are, and the contribution they put in.

Arguably Peachey's best game of the year. His vision to put that kick in was superb. I only wish our other outside backs would kick infield like that, especially on the last play.

Mansours try in the first half was a sight to behold (even if I was at the other end of the field). The way he hits the ball up like another prop, gains us a meter advantage that is worth every cent we pay him. The fact he can finish try's is a bonus.

I havent given the coach a wrap all year, but his decision over the last few weeks to start with Brown and bring RCG on from the bench is paying dividends as only six straight wins can prove.

Brown only played 21 minutes, yet absorbed the opening onslaught of tackles, and allowing big bonuses from our other props - 60 from RCG and 53 from Tahmou.

Unusually for the modern game, we played three lock forwards during the game. With the role and effort Tyrone May played in the last 25, we now have 4 players vying for that position. Who would of thought this time last year that Merrin may not be a certainty for the starting side (when back), and Cartwright may have to fight for a bench spot.

What has most impressed thes last few weeks, which culminated last night is the team effort - not just a group of individuals but a team who plays for each other. Who puts in, has each other's back, and never gives up. A team who once again believes in themselves.

I team in which I am proud.

The Raiders won't be an easy task, but after last night I see a team who is capable of grinding out a win against anybody.
The following user(s) said Thank You   Pomoz, steamboatfarmer

R23 Panthers v Cowboys - Game Day Thread 2 months 5 days ago #26461

• shazza
  • Thank you received: 161
It was difficult to watch last night’s game without mixed emotions. The Cowboys, decimated by injuries, were incredibly brave and had they been playing any other side but Penrith, I would have been right in their corner. They play a beautifully structured,
patient, supportive, disciplined yet expansive style of football that is always a pleasure to watch, but they were playing the Panthers and blood is thicker than XXXX or Bundaberg Rum or whatever the hell they drink up there in the far north, so it was a no brainer where my loyalty lay.

I know it appears mean spirited to be criticizing our boys after such a strong and courageous win but, fact is, our performance continues to be a long way short of the standard required if we are to enjoy success at the pointy end of the season. The fact that we’re still not playing anything like the football our squad is capable of, yet still winning, is a testament to what’s possible, if not necessarily probable, as we continue to muddle our way towards a place in the finals. We don’t need to step up to be successful at season’s end, we actually need to take a step back. We need to get back to the basics of off-loading, supporting the player with the ball, discipline and teamwork in defence, ball security, running at gaps (not at opponents), contesting the ball from high kicks and building pressure rather than trying to score off every play, the list goes on.

It was hard to miss the colossal MoM performance of bench player Reagan Campbell-Gillard who has surely cemented a spot for himself in the end of season representative program. He ran for more than 230 crashing meters during his 60 minutes of game time and his defence was positively brutal. Cowboys’ best Jason Taumalolo (70 mins), arguably the best running forward in the NRL, was the only forward to run further.

Isiah Yeo and Corey Harawira-Naera are fast developing into one of the best second-row pairings in the competition. Both had outstanding games last night in both attack and defence. It’s easy to forget they’re just 22 with their best football well ahead of them. Jimmy Tamou crashed over for a great front-rower’s try and played out of his skin against his old club. Moses Leota, again spent more time on the bench than on the field, but still delivered another powerhouse performance.

Peter Wallace did what Peter Wallace does, he gave precise, slick service from the play-the-ball, made a number of incisive runs from dummy half and tackled himself to a standstill with another 45 scalps added to his season tally.

Nathan Cleary’s performance was another ‘par for the course’ standout effort from this emerging superstar, 2 tries and a clean slate off the boot. His try-saving tackle on Coen Hess has already taken its place (front and center) as part of Panther folklore. The photo has gone straight to the pool-room. Rooky fullback Dylan Edwards continued his impressive form. He ran for well over 200 metres, tackled powerfully and contributed a near faultless performance at the back. As impressive as he’s been since his elevation to the top grade, he’s definitely a player who is going to get a whole lot better with more experience.

Special mention should also be made of DWZ who is fast developing into one of the most destructive wingers in the NRL (and he’s not even Fijian). He continually put his hand up to make the hard yards out of defence, he tackled with plenty of venom and even cleaned up the Cowboys’ playmaker for good measure. He’s another relative youngster who’s in career best form and getting better all the time.

Winning can definitely become habit forming but unfortunately every win takes us one game closer to that inevitable loss. Of the games we’ve got left, I’m inclined to think the Raiders at hypothermia central, next week, will be the hardest. We get through that one unscathed and even I might start dreaming the dream.

shazza
The following user(s) said Thank You   steamboatfarmer

R23 Panthers v Cowboys - Game Day Thread 2 months 5 days ago #26462

A lots been covered here already but something which happened last night which showed to me this team want to win and one thing which hasn't been touched on which won the game..our defence

The half time stats were terrible for us...more tackles, less metres more mistakes yet we were only down 10 -6 then the early try for Cowboys seemed to ignite something.

But our defence in that first 20minutes was remarkable.....they had repeat sets and were grinding as they do but couldn't break us down.

Our defence has been quite good although still with some work to do.

But in the second half we seemed to go up a whole gear across the team and the Cowboys couldn't go with us.....sure they had disruptions and loss of players but this came mostly through either our more robust defence and our hyper energy in offence.

That was the unusual thing i saw......how we could simply go up another gear but just not one player....they all lifted with a couple of standouts which have been mentioned.......RCG who is playing at simply another level to all other forwards, Tamou had his best game for us last night while Peachey also had probably his best game defensively and he was marking Lowe at the end.

Cleary as mentioned continues his path forward as a player but he has some friends in the team......Edwards,CHN,Mansour and despite DWZ mistakes...his blistering returns and energy levels are a sight to behold.

Which leads me to some issues........Carty is neither hurting in defence and or attack.........If Merrin is right to return Carty would be the player to not make the bench......and Moylan appears to have learnt nothing with 2 weeks on the sidelines

I do not know what to do with either of these blokes but we need them......just wish they both would learn to do the grafting before we play Harlem football.

And then we have May....he made a noticeable difference when he came on last night and has to be in the 17.

We won but gees we were clunky in attack and again our game management with 5th tackle options plus this "bomb" mentality when kicks in goal are achieving the results is frustrating.

The footy gods were so kind to us this weekend with Tigers getting over the Eagles today...so we remain in 6th place and just 1 game behind Eels and Cronulla who are on 30 and are 5th and 4th respectively

At some point this side is going to click.......and when they do could hurt any team in the 8 but we need to learn to do it and do it consistently.

Seeing moments of genius is a thrill....but being able to see a team execute at a high level for an entire game and consistently would be an absolute joy.

On what i saw in the second half showed to me the boys are hungry......and showed we can play a power game......show me how you can compete for 80 minutes at this level with less errors, mistakes and get our attack to execute correctly.

Great win...now onto the Raiders in Canberra
The following user(s) said Thank You   Pomoz

R23 Panthers v Cowboys - Game Day Thread 2 months 5 days ago #26463

• Pomoz
  • Thank you received: 204
I've gotta agree with SBF about hurting teams if it clicks. Its the halves that haven't gelled yet. Moylan seems to overplay his hand and try and score off every ball. When May and Cartwright were in 2nd or first receiver the ball was moved quickly and cleanly Moylan drifted and held the pass up and the defence cut down his runner every time. If we get Cleary/Moylan working properly then we are a force. Moylan has to let Cleary control the ruck and inject himself when the space is there. Get this right and last tackle options will get better.

I think a missing piece of the jigsaw is emerging with May. He could be our next number 9 in the mould of a Cameron Smith because he has the smarts (not saying as good as Smith, he is a legend, but a halfback in a hookers role as it were).

Also in respect of Cartwright, he made 16 tackles and didn't miss any and he hit hard, I thought he did what was needed and didn't try anything silly. Both he and JFH aren't fit yet, but are building nicely. We need Merrin back soon as well so he can get some match fitness.

Any chance McKendry will be ready for the finals?

R23 Panthers v Cowboys - Game Day Thread 2 months 4 days ago #26465

• richo
  • Thank you received: 109
McKendry is 100% out for the season.
The following user(s) said Thank You   Pomoz