Panther Pride

Switch to desktop Register Login

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: R24 Raiders v Panthers - Game Day Thread

R24 Raiders v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 4 weeks ago #26475

Is this the game day thread? Guess it will have to do.......

Wow, wow and wow.

Every player giving 110%, 100% completion and 10 points up at half time.

Couldn't name who was best in the first half, 16 to choose from.

And this only half- time.

Tough crowd and Canberra trying to milk penalties with every tackle.

Bring it home Penrith!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

R24 Raiders v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 4 weeks ago #26476

Well that's Karma to end the Raiders season.

A game of two halves, but it was to be expected that the Raiders would throw everything at us.

Well done to come from behind to grab the win.

May has to be in the team, no matter what position.

Win the next 2 and we finish 4th.

Win 1 out of 2 and we will probably finish 6th.

Lose both and we should finish 8th.

That said the effort we gave to day I don't see us losing.

We done boys, you make me proud
The following user(s) said Thank You   hivnoh holova, steamboatfarmer

R24 Raiders v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 4 weeks ago #26477

Gutsy win against an avalanche on penalties against us in the second half...which came about by Croker having a go at the ref at the end of the first half where he mentioned the ref's boss ......a discussion i believe should come under review

But the boys played great........all except Carty who is just going through the motions with nothing to elevate himself above others......not hurting in defence or attack and special mention has to go to May who is making a difference when he come son albeit slightly later

Moylan had a good game making good contributions in attack but still suspect in defence

A great win and i share the karma comment in knocking Canberra out of the 8.......and believe on our form and with players coming back we should get Dragons and eagles.

Where we end up will be a combination of results which we cannot control....we just need to win our last 2.

If we win our last 2..only Storm would have equal form going into the finals.

great win and a win of real substance and that was the impressive thing..
Last Edit: 3 months 4 weeks ago by steamboatfarmer.
The following user(s) said Thank You   Southernhillfan

R24 Raiders v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 4 weeks ago #26478

Couldn't of said it better Steamboat!

R24 Raiders v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 4 weeks ago #26479

• Puss
  • Thank you received: 256
.... Good win full of merit. Not an easy place to visit.
Our forwards were brave in the face of some big 'boppers'.
Thought Tamou was good. Our backs collectively were good.
Luv watching Blake hit open spaces. There were still a few
naive brain explosions but we managed to get away with it.
Keep it up Panthers, belong/believe. You're heading in the
right direction..... B)
The following user(s) said Thank You   Southernhillfan, steamboatfarmer

R24 Raiders v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 3 weeks ago #26480

• richo
  • Thank you received: 111
Given how the bounce of the ball and rub of the green went against us in the 2nd half it is great credit to all that we were able to show such resilience to come back and win. Canberra had opportunities to put the game to bed but the boys shown some real grit and determination to hold them out. Very spirited win, close to our best this season against a good side who had so much to play for.
The following user(s) said Thank You   hk panther

R24 Raiders v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 3 weeks ago #26481

• mr walker
  • Thank you received: 129
Can't comment on the game as didn't see it (I'm in Manila with work), and have only seen the tries. But so happy with the result - well done boys, & now I see Manly have lost!!!!

R24 Raiders v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 3 weeks ago #26482

• mutley
  • Thank you received: 205
Great to get the win & cure Canberra of their clap!!! :P

The only way we can miss the finals now us if we lose both games, and Manly, Cowboys & Dragons all win both of theirs.

R24 Raiders v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 3 weeks ago #26483

• shazza
  • Thank you received: 161
Most fans would agree that the Panthers yesterday delivered 60 minutes of the best football they’ve played all season and to be able to fight back and triumph after giving up a match winning lead was testament to the fighting spirit, tenacity and camaraderie this young side has developed. They’re not there yet, but they’re certainly heading in the right direction. Generally speaking, you miss almost 40 tackles and give away 8 penalties to 3 against a side like Canberra, you lose. Fired up by arguably the most partisan supporters in the NRL, the giant Raiders forwards appeared to be highly motivated and up for a real knock down drag ‘em out encounter and the loss certainly wasn’t down to any lack of effort on their part. Canberra, I’m pleased to say, were simply beaten by a better team on the day and thankfully, there wasn’t a single controversial decision for Ricky Stuart to complain about.

Sixty minutes of fluent, well-constructed attacking football with an almost 90% completion rate and tries on the board, should have resulted in a comprehensive victory but unfortunately, 20 minutes of indiscipline and disorganized backline defence turned what should have been a comprehensive victory into a real nail biter.

From the third minute when Moylan tapped on to Edwards who executed a beautiful catch and pass for Waqa Blake to fly in for the opening try of the match, it looked like the Panthers were well and truly on song for a great day at the office. And despite the soft try conceded to the Raiders just 10 minutes later, our boys settled in to their task of subduing the opposition and grinding out a hard earned victory. There was nothing grinding about our second try when Blake showed the best of his considerable attributes, strength, step and blinding speed, to cut loose and run 50 metres before sending Nathan Cleary in under the posts. At 14-4, just when we thought it was safe to slip into cruise control big Dave Talor, the 5/8 in a prop’s body, slipped a brilliant offload for Papali to cross, 14-10. This pretty much set the tone for the rest of the match.

Edwards, despite a couple of handling hiccups, had another brilliant match, the first two bombs he defused resulting in incisive counter attacking runs. His ball carrying ability obviously didn’t go unnoticed by the Canberra kickers because after his first two carries, they went out of their way to prevent him from getting his hands on the ball.

James Tamour had an outstanding game, front and centre, and for the first time this season got the points over RCG as the dominant front-rower in the team. He started powerfully and went right on with the job against the biggest pack in the NRL. Our dynamic duo in the second row also had strong games, with CHN shading his more experienced partner in crime for performance honors. I think a couple of weeks off for Yeo would do wonders not only for him but for the team’s prospects going forward.
Trent Merrin also delivered in spades, in both attack and defence. It was a remarkable effort from the stocky backrower considering the amount of time he’s been out.

Moylan was also at his elusive best and whether it was by circumstance or design, he seemed to keep well out of the way of Cleary’s maneuvering and playmaking and just did his own thing which seems to work best when he’s not encumbered by too much thinking and preplanning. He didn’t overplay his hand but when he did inject himself into the fray his contribution was generally decisive and positive.

Katao gave good service from dummy half and the statistic sheet says he tackled well but he’s certainly not Peter Wallace whose scything defence and inspirational leadership was sorely missed. Griffin’s claim that Katao’s selection over Mitch Rein gave us more positional options didn’t placate me one bit. When you’ve got a player of the quality and versatility of match-winner Tyrone May on the bench, certainly in the context of yesterday’s game, you don’t need versatile back-up, unless he happens to be 110 kilos.

Cartwright had a game he’d prefer to forget, try as he might, he just couldn’t get himself involved. I suspect he’s got himself wedged between a rock and a hard place. He’s battling to find the happy medium between doing too much and too little. Yesterday he looked decidedly ill-at-ease and might be better, for the next couple of weeks at least, helping the reserves in their title quest.

Mansour ran powerfully and scored a blockbuster try but he’s firmly entrenched himself as a member of the enigmatic “three amigos” Mansour, Blake and Peachey.
Your heart jumps into your mouth every time they get their hands on or near the ball because as absolutely brilliant as they are, there’s a giant mistake just waiting to dash your hopes and aspirations in all of them. They can create a try out of absolutely nothing, but equally they can give up 4 points, a penalty or the ball as regularly as Nathan Cleary slots a goal.

Speaking of which, congratulations to Nathan Cleary on becoming the youngest player in NRL history to score 200 points in a season. I didn’t comment on Cleary’s performance because there are only just so many superlatives you can use before you start sounding parochial.

If we can turn that 60 minute performance into 80 minutes, we’ve got the potential, at the very least, to give the finals series a real shake.

Shazza
The following user(s) said Thank You   Southernhillfan

R24 Raiders v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 3 weeks ago #26484

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 146
Apologies for the lack of a Game Day Thread.

I was on my way down in Canberra to watch the game and he internet was a bit spotty. I have moved all the Game Day discussion to this new Game Day thread.
Last Edit: 3 months 3 weeks ago by Steve Tidball.

R24 Raiders v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 3 weeks ago #26485

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 146
As for the game. I agree that May has to be kept in the squad. Here is what I think what should happen going forward.

I am suspecting that Wallace is set to retire at the end of his contract (or head to the UK ) in 2018. I would be spending the time that Wallace has left grooming May to be the man to fill that spot going forward, have him on the bench and getting minutes on the board, and let him know now that is the plan.

I know that I will get the Mitch Rein fans out there offside, but I feel his future is at another club.
The following user(s) said Thank You   Pomoz

R24 Raiders v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 3 weeks ago #26486

I agree Steve.

While Rein is a good, dependable kind of player, May has already shown he is a cut above, no matter if he is wearing the 6 or 9 in first grade (not mention he has played almost every position in the lower grades).

It's bleeding obvious to me how the recent years success in the lower grades is now beginning to pay dividends.

The combination of Cleary, May and Edwards form, and how they seemingly second guess each other's positional play, comes from their playing together in years prior,

Throw in our 2nd row combo of Corey and Yeo, and we have a team of juniors who know each other's strengths and weaknesses, guided by good experience from others.

May gets his chance in the 6 this week again with Moylen out for two weeks with hamstring. Wallace is back at hooker.
The following user(s) said Thank You   steamboatfarmer

R24 Raiders v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 3 weeks ago #26488

great talking point but i don't see May as our future #9......i think he is our future #6 then moving to Lock

I was impressed with Katoa last week against a big mobile team he gave very slick service from the dummy half and tackled well in the centre......i think he is our future #9

May appears to be a special talent and as you have highlighted we have some kids transition brilliantly and to be honest have been the reason for our late season surge and change in our style

Notice the chaos is lessened without Moylan and when Moylan chanced his hand last weekend he was more judicious and his game improved i believe.

I am concerned about this Moylan injury as it appears to re occur which must be hard for the medical team to work with.........playing a week and having 2 off is not good for him or the team and hopefully this 2 weeks he can get it right.

We will need all hands available come the finals and like Storm we are one of the few teams going into the finals with either players coming back or very little disruption to our starting 17.

Dragons will try and ambush us again as they did in Game 1 this year.....hope the weather is fine and dry so it gives our team its best chance against what we will be a desperate team.

R24 Raiders v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 3 weeks ago #26489

• TalentScout
  • Thank you received: 82
Good ol "rocks or diamonds" got man of the match..

So glad the raiders didn't keep going to Moylans side in attack.
He made some real bad decisions and was left grabbing that led to numerous tries...
His sideways attack is going away from where the team needs to be.. (maybe he's not injured this week??)

R24 Raiders v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 3 weeks ago #26490

• Pomoz
  • Thank you received: 204
steamboatfarmer wrote:
great talking point but i don't see May as our future #9......i think he is our future #6 then moving to Lock

I was impressed with Katoa last week against a big mobile team he gave very slick service from the dummy half and tackled well in the centre......i think he is our future #9

May appears to be a special talent and as you have highlighted we have some kids transition brilliantly and to be honest have been the reason for our late season surge and change in our style

Notice the chaos is lessened without Moylan and when Moylan chanced his hand last weekend he was more judicious and his game improved i believe.

I am concerned about this Moylan injury as it appears to re occur which must be hard for the medical team to work with.........playing a week and having 2 off is not good for him or the team and hopefully this 2 weeks he can get it right.

We will need all hands available come the finals and like Storm we are one of the few teams going into the finals with either players coming back or very little disruption to our starting 17.

Dragons will try and ambush us again as they did in Game 1 this year.....hope the weather is fine and dry so it gives our team its best chance against what we will be a desperate team.
Interesting viewpoint on May. I will come out and say that I am not yet convinced that Moylan is the answer at six. He is too slow and hasn't got enough variation in his game yet. His days as fullback are over though. Edwards is so much better as a fullback he must be the first picked.

However, being "not convinced" doesn't mean I would write off Moylan just yet. When he is in form he can be simply brilliant, he just hasn't consistently produced that form this year. If Moylan does become the long term six, then what about May. Well I'm going to disagree with you and say that he should be our hooker. I think he can be in the vein of a Cameron Smith. A halfback playing as a hooker. He can scheme, organise, kick from dummy half and his defence is already good and will get better as he physically matures. I think Katoa is a good player but I think May is a better player.

What about lock? Bryce Cartwright will be a brilliant lock once he gets past his current issues. We could then have the enviable spine of Edwards, Cleary, Moylan and May. And if thats not creative enough for you, Cartwright is locking the scrum. If all those players live up to their potential, that is scarily good team. That could be a Melbourne Storm dynasty.

R24 Raiders v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 3 weeks ago #26491

• mutley
  • Thank you received: 205
May sees his future as a lock. He has a few years before Merrin retires to get himself ready, in the meantime he can fill in anywhere in the halves, backs or hooker as needed, or come off the bench.

R24 Raiders v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 3 weeks ago #26492

• richo
  • Thank you received: 111
I don't see May as a dummy half and I don't think that is his future but I've been wrong before. Mitch Rein won't be at the club next year so life beyond Wallace will lay elsewhere.

Just on Moylan his move to the halves was not by his choice. He sees himself as a fullback and as a result of a combination of injury, demise of TMM and Dylan Edwards demanding selection he was thrust into the role. Despite the opinion of most it is not his best position and he may suffer long term.
Last Edit: 3 months 3 weeks ago by richo.

R24 Raiders v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 3 weeks ago #26493

• Pomoz
  • Thank you received: 204
richo wrote:
I don't see May as a dummy half and I don't think that is his future but I've been wrong before. Mitch Rein won't be at the club next year so life beyond Wallace will lay elsewhere.

Just on Moylan his move to the halves was not by his choice. He sees himself as a fullback and as a result of a combination of injury, demise of TMM and Dylan Edwards demanding selection he was thrust into the role. Despite the opinion of most it is not his best position and he may suffer long term.
I love Moysa's silky playing style and his passing is awesome, but he has a major limitation as a fullback. His pace. He is slower than a wet weekend in Albury. Edwards has really shown up what we miss with his 200m yardage every week. Moylan is also physically slight and it holds him back in defence and in busting tackles.Unfortunately he doesn't have great footwork and balance to offset his lack of pace.

Size isn't the issue, some players are just pound for pound stronger than others. Mansour is a classic example. A pocket Hercules. Moylan is built like a middle distance runner and runs like one. He doesn't have that explosive power struggles to bust tackles and make line breaks. Edwards is shorter but heavier and more explosive. He drives defensive lines backwards post contact because he is deceptively strong and also has great balance and footwork.

Sad to say, but Moylan's future as a fullback should be at another team.