Panther Pride

Switch to desktop Register Login

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: R25 Panthers v Dragons - Game Day Thread

R25 Panthers v Dragons - Game Day Thread 1 month 3 weeks ago #26494

1. Dylan Edwards 2. Josh Mansour 3. Tyrone Peachey 4. Waqa Blake 5. Dallin Watene Zelezniak 6. Tyrone May 7. Nathan Cleary 8. James Tamou 9. Peter Wallace 10. Regan Campbell-Gillard 11. Corey Harawira 12. Isaah Yeo 13. James Fisher-Harris 14. Sione Katoa 15. Bryce Cartwright 16. Tim Browne 17. Trent Merrin 18. Moses Leota 19. Dean Whare 20. Viliame Kikau 21. Kaide Ellis

Its great to see the core of our 17 starting again with the inclusion of Wallace and Moylan injured.

There will be no excuses again and we thought Raiders would be desperate......Dragons simply have to win or all the good work of 2017 for them is done.

Last nights result with Eels thumping Broncos show just what can happen if you are off your game and highlights a Top 4 spot is possible if we get a few lucky breaks with results although with Broncos for and against so positive hard to see them missing the 4 along with Storm.

1 spots up for grabs with Eels looking a good thing to be in the Top 4.

Weather and conditions should be perfect along with a huge home crowd.

A win cements a Top 8 spot for Panthers.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You   Pomoz

R25 Panthers v Dragons - Game Day Thread 1 month 3 weeks ago #26495

• Bryan
  • Thank you received: 42
I think the Eels belting the Broncos last night has effectively ruled us out of the top 4. I doubt the Bunnies will beat Parra next week & I can't see the Sharks losing to the Knights.

The important thing now (as it always was) is to win our last two games & get a home final. Or did I read somewhere that a Penrith home final wouldn't happen?

R25 Panthers v Dragons - Game Day Thread 1 month 3 weeks ago #26496

• mutley
  • Thank you received: 200
Our "home" final would probably be at Homebush. First two weeks of finals are played at "home" city.

Top 4 is still possible, but not likely, we would need to win both games & rely on 2 out of Eels, Sharks & Roosters not winning again before the finals.

Sharks play Rooster tonight, so the loser & the Eels would need to lose next week, not likely considering next week Eels play Souths, Roosters play Titans & Sharks play Knights.
Last Edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by mutley.
The following user(s) said Thank You   Bryan

R25 Panthers v Dragons - Game Day Thread 1 month 3 weeks ago #26497

a win today will move us to 5th ..ahead of Sharks on for and against and our best likely outcome.

still have to get the job done today and if anyone watched Storm dismantle Souths last night just shows the difference between Storm and us.

Storm were clinical and displayed set play after set play........it was a beautiful thing to watch as a League fan.

R25 Panthers v Dragons - Game Day Thread 1 month 3 weeks ago #26498

• LateMail
  • Thank you received: 9
steamboatfarmer wrote:
still have to get the job done today and if anyone watched Storm dismantle Souths last night just shows the difference between Storm and us.

Agree with you re the Storm. They just keep getting better, while the other top 4 teams seem to be struggling for consistency.

That's why we not only need to win today, but need a big win, to try and get to and then keep 5th spot. The Sharks will probably win by plenty against the Knights next week, so a big win today will be crucial to keeping our for and against ahead of them if we hope to finish 5th. Because 5th spot ensures we avoid the Storm in the finals, and we could actually get to the grand final before having to play them (assuming as certainty they beat the Eels in week 1).
The following user(s) said Thank You   steamboatfarmer

R25 Panthers v Dragons - Game Day Thread 1 month 3 weeks ago #26499

The refs won the game for the dragons.

NRL and channel nine get their wish of a high rating final round.

We missed Edwards in the second half who must of been injured?

We missed Moylen.

A blizzard came at half time and scared the fair weather fans away.

I am just starting to thaw out.

R25 Panthers v Dragons - Game Day Thread 1 month 3 weeks ago #26500

• Rabbit
  • Thank you received: 60
Reminded me a lot of last year's game against Canberra in the semi's. They didn't handle the conditions - They lost control of the ball way too much. They dropped it coming of their own line several times. They dropped the bombs they tried to take. (St George hardly contested any of the kicks when it was a contest). They lost the ball while playing it. And Getting the ball stripped cost them the game in the end.
They did their usual relieving penalties with teams coming of their line. But in the end they lost control of the ball, they dropped it, they fumbled it, from the beginning of the game to the end!!

R25 Panthers v Dragons - Game Day Thread 1 month 3 weeks ago #26501

well reality hit and we were unmasked by a team with no standouts, no superstars but just a team.

sure we lost Edwards but a team of any substance can deal with this.......and a team of any substance doesn't do dumb things and give dumb penalties away.

Worst of all we have no game management and no set plays......absolutely nothing.

Not a single positive to take out of this game.

R25 Panthers v Dragons - Game Day Thread 1 month 3 weeks ago #26502

• Puss
  • Thank you received: 254
.... naive ill disciplined rabble, not befitting a side with finals aspirations. Next year ???

R25 Panthers v Dragons - Game Day Thread 1 month 3 weeks ago #26503

• mutley
Southernhillfan wrote:
We missed Edwards in the second half who must of been injured?
Knee injury just before half time & he didn't return. Suspected medial, I'm guessing he will have scans tomorrow to determine how much damage.

R25 Panthers v Dragons - Game Day Thread 1 month 3 weeks ago #26504

• mutley
Just running my eye over the draw for next week. From what I can tell:

If we win, we will be 6th, unless Sharks lose or Cowboys beat Broncos by 28 more than we win by

If we lose & Dragons lose, we are safe.

If Cowboys lose, we need to lose by no more than 28 more than them to stay safe.

If Cowboys & Dragons both lose, we are 7th.

With Cowboys playing Thursday night, we will know their part in the equation before we play.
Last Edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by mutley.

R25 Panthers v Dragons - Game Day Thread 1 month 3 weeks ago #26505

I don't see us as being safe and that is why yesterdays game was so important and its hard to believe we are now relying on other results for us to secure a Top 8 spot.

Its true the Cowboys game shapes the weekend for us.....if Cowboys win along with Dragons and we lose to Manly...we miss the 8

I wouldn't write the Cowboys off completely although Broncos also will need to respond to the Eels embarrassment.

Dragons play Bulldogs and you would expect them to get the Dogs.

I am still shock over yesterdays result and effort and just cannot understand what our game plan is.

We bombed in the first half for no results...we grubber in gaol in the second half and get outcomes.

And on yesterdays efforts.......Cleary had arguably his worst game but his forwards never gave him the room to be creative....they as a group were terrible.

And its sad thing to say but Wallace cannot be in our squad for Manly of for the finals......he gives away penalties, was largely ineffective yesterday and Katoa has to get the nod over him.

DWZ also had his game from hell which he can do, costing us dearly with the loose carry plus other dumb mistakes and he aint no FB

He wasn't alone ....even Waqa had his worst game......he appeared angry and restricted but he needs to learn how to overcome this in his game to progress as we know he has it in his ability to do so.

In short we were a rabble with simply no idea against a team who had major issues before kick off with Duggan dumped for disciplinary reasons and a side reshuffle before kick off........one would have thought they would be disjointed and perhaps flat with this decision but they turned up to play........maybe they do have a coach with an idea?

I think the wins had masked our real problems and exposes Griffin as coach

DWZ always had a loss carry in his game.....where has been his improvement in this area?

The team as group still give penalties away......where has been the improvement in this area?

We still have no game management?

We still have no set plays.....NOT a single one?

I mentioned the Storm game against Souths and not only how they executed plays, set plays but more importantly their attitude.

Cronk on being interviewed walking off at half time said yeah the score board looks god but we need to create good habits.( or words to this effect)

It shows despite being up 36 nil they still wanted to learn and execute as a matter of habit.

Compare that to what we saw yesterday from the Panthers.

Lastly on Cartwright..he is NOT a first grader and should be dropped from the squad.

His game either through confidence or other external reasons has deserted him and he is now ineffectual as a player.

I hope Edwards is OK but suspect he will miss the rest of the season but he has been a shining light for the squad and will be missed.

On the Manly game...they were terrible against Warriors and should have lost but somehow conjured up a win and will not roll over for us next week......in fact i expect them to win in what will be an ugly game.
Last Edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by steamboatfarmer.

R25 Panthers v Dragons - Game Day Thread 1 month 2 weeks ago #26506

• Kevin
  • Panthers Hate Parra
  • Thank you received: 183
Can anyone tell me why we are the only team who try to play the ball with our feet? It cost us big time yesterday....

R25 Panthers v Dragons - Game Day Thread 1 month 2 weeks ago #26507

• shazza
  • Thank you received: 161
Taking a glass half full approach to yesterday’s debacle, we can be thankful that this much needed and long overdue reality check occurred when it did and not in two weeks’ time. As best as I can make out, the loss to the Dragons, as painful as it was, has not affected our standing on the League ladder to any great extent and it may well have done us a good turn by highlighting the inadequacies that have been glaringly obvious to most keen observers ever since we started our remarkable sequence of bumbling, fumbling, against the run of play, get out of jail victories.

Last week’s match was, I thought, the turning point for our season. But what appeared to be a light at the end of the tunnel turned out to be a bloody big red and white freight train that ran right over us yesterday. Defence wins games and the Dragons, with Widdop and Sims in the vanguard, buried our hopes of a victorious 2017 home ground swan song, in the lush turf of Pepper Stadium, with a relentless exhibition of hard edge, uncompromising tackling. For us, 22 missed tackles by the break pretty much told the tale of where the match was headed. St. George were playing for their season and looked like it.

Our usually dominant forwards failed to dominate, with only Brown and Merrin making any sort of impact. Even Reagan Campbell-Gillard, arguably the best of our best in recent weeks, had to play second fiddle to his rampaging cousin Taraq Sims who was in unstoppable form. Sims lost a split decision for MoM honors to his inspirational captain Gareth Widdop.
Our team selection left a lot to be desired. Cartwright tried hard but is still playing without authority, timing or confidence. His contribution was not up to first grade standard and way below what he is capable of. Against a big, mobile, aggressive pack, it beggars belief that anyone would consider Katao a better option off the bench than Moses Leota or Viliam Kikau. Considering the closeness of the final score, I’d be amazed if the inclusion of a couple of in-form forwards like Leota and Kikau didn’t make the difference between winning and losing.

I guess Griffin has left it a bit late to give Isiah Yeo a much deserved rest.

The loss of Edwards at the break certainly had a big impact on the outcome of the game. How big an impact an injury to our latest superstar has on the rest of the season is in the lap of the gods. He was in everything in the opening 40 minutes yesterday and his potential loss to the team’s go-forward and positive mind set is incalculable. If he’s out next week, depending on the fitness of Moylan, I guess DWZ to fullback, Blake to the wing and Whare back in the centres would be the least disruptive option. He’s a tough little bugger Edwards and short of breaking or tearing something absolutely crucial, I’d be surprised if he’s not wearing the number 1 jersey against Manly.

I’m predicting a big win against the overachieving Sea Eagles but not as big, I might add, as the margin I predicted against the Dragons.

R25 Panthers v Dragons - Game Day Thread 1 month 2 weeks ago #26508

• Puss
Kevin wrote:
Can anyone tell me why we are the only team who try to play the ball with our feet? It cost us big time yesterday....

sure many would be happy to reply, you likely to drop by again any time soon?

you 'n scout headed souf for the winter have ya's?
Last Edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by Puss.

R25 Panthers v Dragons - Game Day Thread 1 month 2 weeks ago #26509

• mr walker
  • Thank you received: 129
We got sucked into a slow, lacklustre game by the Dragons, who just grind away with negative tactics, slowing down the ruck & just strangling the life out of the game. They were able to achieve this with the assistance of the officials, who seemed happy for the game to just drag on, and on, and on.
Clearly the dragons game plan was to get in front and just hold-on as best they could. When we hit the front thru Sauce's try I thought we would go on and win - I couldn't see how the dragons could score again. I didn't count on a one-on-one strip being the match-winner :(

We made a lot of errors & the Edwards injury was disruptive, but we have now lost twice each against the pretty poor dragons and rabbits! Katoa on the bench is a waste of an interchange player & Carty seems to have lost his confidence, so apart from RCG & Merrin (below his best) not much impact coming off the bench & we only have RCG's impact by starting pop-gun Browne.

It all comes down to one game!

R25 Panthers v Dragons - Game Day Thread 1 month 2 weeks ago #26511

• Kevin
  • Panthers Hate Parra
Puss wrote:
Kevin wrote:

sure many would be happy to reply, you likely to drop by again any time soon?

you 'n scout headed souf for the winter have ya's?

New job with limited access / forum blocked, however I can use the company mobile which is a pain in the blurta.

P.S. I miss u too Puss now can you answer the question

R25 Panthers v Dragons - Game Day Thread 1 month 2 weeks ago #26513

• Puss
as you're well aware I'm good at putting my foot in it ....
the answer my friend is not blowin in the wind, yet it
can only be definitively answered by one who's full of
it himself, Anthony Griffen .

R25 Panthers v Dragons - Game Day Thread 1 month 2 weeks ago #26514

• Kevin
  • Panthers Hate Parra
I like the way he builds throughout the season, you don't win the comp in round 4, but it is clearly evident that we are lacking in a number of areas. The ruck has become the most pivotal area of our (rugby league) game yet the Pennies are woeful in this area. All it takes to beat us is to slow us down yet we slow ourselves down even further by taking the time to "try" and play the ball correctly.....bizarre
The following user(s) said Thank You   mutley

R25 Panthers v Dragons - Game Day Thread 1 month 2 weeks ago #26517

• Rabbit
  • Thank you received: 60
Yeah the ruck is our Achilles heal. It's not just the general management of the ruck that we are falling down. There is a couple of other things that we are bad at, in relation to the ruck.

Number 1. The refs at the beginning of the game crack down on the ruck, to speed up the game. So the stuff you could do throughout the game you won't get away with at the beginning, because they are looking for anything to penalize to get the message across. There are always two or three penalties at the beginning of the match that seem nitpicky. The Panthers are a joke and give away those first couple of penalties every week. And a big portion are attributed to Blake and Tamou. But a lot of the Panthers seem to be oblivious. Then after those initial penalties they really step back from there ruck tactics. This is the main reason we are having bad starts. === Early penalties and what that leads to.

Number 2. The Panthers seem to be oblivious to milking of penalties by the their opponents. For example the Dragons on the weekend didn't try to milk penalties, but Nth Queensland a few weeks back tried it on at any opportunity - they are a disgrace to the game (Taking Dives). Our two worst players at putting themselves in a position to get penalized is Wallace and DWZ. The smarter opponents will trap you in the ruck and put the ball on top of you, just to milk a penalty.

My Rant
That Gallen penalty on the weekend, I agree was a penalty in the current climate of how the game is reffed but Cordner put that ball down early to force the ref into a yay or nay situation. This is where the Panthers are a joke at seeing the warning signs == For example (Like the Cordner scenario) if a team has run 50 meters on a set and have arrived 10 meters inside the oppositions half on the last tackle, Some of the smarter players will try it on == there team is out of danger and they can defend an error from 60 yards out. == It is worth that player putting the ball down on an opponent's foot or tripping over just to try it on. They might get a ruling against them or they might get a penalty. They have already completed their set, so a little bit to lose but a whole lot to gain if a ruling goes there way. If you listen to the commentary, the callers are freaking out on how many last tackle penalties there are in our games. Peter Wallace is the absolute worst at putting himself in that position. Every second game he does it and those last tackle penalties are game changers. The Panther are obviously not being coached to look for the danger signs. The refs call "milking" in a match probably 30 to 40 times! Until there is a pacific penalty for it, nothing will change and the Panthers have to deal with that. The refs are just looking at the technicalities of the game to penalize. Poor sportsmanship is not looked at. Get with the current program Panthers.
The following user(s) said Thank You   Pomoz