Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: R26 Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread

R26 Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 2 weeks ago #26542

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 146
This is the Place.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

R26 Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 2 weeks ago #26544

• mutley
  • Thank you received: 205
Just watched Gasnier all but hand the game to Manly, in a cross to the ground during half time of early game. If his track record is any thing to go by, it might be worth putting everything I own on a Panthers win :P

R26 Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 2 weeks ago #26545

• mutley
A late change:

1. Dean WHARE
2. Josh MANSOUR
3. Tyrone PEACHEY
4. Waqa BLAKE
5. Dallin WATENE-ZELEZNIAK
6. Tyrone MAY
7. Nathan CLEARY
8. James TAMOU
9. Peter WALLACE (c)
10. Reagan CAMPBELL-GILLARD
11. Corey HARAWIRA-NAERA
12. Isaah YEO
17. Trent MERRIN

13. James FISHER-HARRIS
14. Sione KATOA
15. Bryce CARTWRIGHT
16. Tim BROWNE
Last Edit: 3 months 2 weeks ago by mutley.

R26 Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 2 weeks ago #26546

Really worried about Whare at fullback. Was terrible there a couple of years ago. But hoping we flog the beagles.

LP

R26 Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 2 weeks ago #26547

16-0 at half time

Very ordinary performance to say the least. Unless we can win the forward battle in the second half, Manly will be inspired to beat us by 38.
The following user(s) said Thank You   steamboatfarmer

R26 Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 2 weeks ago #26548

I think i wrote the game plan for Manly

Kick early as early as 3rd tackle........kick deep and to the corners and throw in the odd 40/20

Indeed lets mix up what we do in attack.

What do we get from Panthers.......bomb...bomb again and if that didn't work..hell lets bomb them again.

Our forwards are playing like beaten favourites and we look devoid of any ideas at all in attack.
Lets not forget we grubber in the second half......after all that is our game plan isn't it?

R26 Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 2 weeks ago #26549

Gee I hope we move into 2nd gear soon :sick:

R26 Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 2 weeks ago #26550

we will be lucky to score.........and we are now in reverse

R26 Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 2 weeks ago #26551

Thank god for that. We looked better when DWZ went to fullback. And thankyou to Moylan and our management for bringing all this rubbish about getting a release at this time of year. Should have been worked out after our season. Everyone clearly had other things on their mind. I still don't think Griffin is our man but we are in the finals so it could be alot worse.

LP
The following user(s) said Thank You   Pomoz

R26 Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 2 weeks ago #26552

we looked better when Wallace went off and if Cartwright is one of our best 17....we are in more trouble then i thought

tonights mess wasn't Cartwrights alone.he had plenty of mates but we were simply terrible and at 28 nil how anyone can take anything out of this train wreck is beyond me and we play Manly again next week.

On the Moylan issue........well you can thank Gould and Griffin for this.

Absolute joke this of all things rears its head and our CEO says Moylan is a 50/50 chance to stay

Wish Gould and Griffin were 50/50 chances to stay.

They are both useless

R26 Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 2 weeks ago #26553

• mutley
We played that game like we were trying not to lose by 38, instead of trying to win, and it almost cost us. All that's left now is to see who we play next week, a rematch with Manly or a shot at the Sharks.
Last Edit: 3 months 2 weeks ago by mutley.

R26 Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 2 weeks ago #26554

• Rabbit
  • Thank you received: 60
Two of the Souf,s Usual suspects had poor games.

You cannot afford to have anyone have a game like that in a semifinal because obviously it's season over. They could play Manly again and would have to play Whare if that happens. Blake may of had a reasonable season but it's not like he can use excuses for that performance -- He blew it!! And he has a international waiting to take his spot. He would of racked a more missed tackles but he got burnt on more occasions than he was turnstiled.

Tamou gave away the first penalty again -- Just can't help himself. And it led to the first try. As per usual.

They were ambushed but you can turn that around - Although the Panthers haven't ambushed anyone for the 26 rounds so far.

They say Moylan has a problem with the coach - He's not the only one.

Easy solution - Keep Moylan, get rid of the coach.

Moylan could nearly be used as an interchange next week at the back end of halves.

R26 Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 2 weeks ago #26555

Griffin will never go as long as Gould is in the job....you know Gould speared Cleary to install Griffin and they will spear Moylan.

I don't know what has happened with Moylan and this coach but maybe Moylan like us poor sucker supporters knows this bloke cannot coach.

That being said.....what was dished up tonight had nothing to do with Moylan.

Our forwards have nothing outside RCG and Yeo

Who did Merrin,Carty,FH ,CHN or Tamou hurt in defence or in attack?

And what is it with these dumb bloody bombs?

Cleary can drop kick over 50 yet our kick offs do not even make it to the goal line

We do not have a single set play..not a single one

I feel sorry for Cleary...................he should be the player asking for a release and going to a club with something to offer.

God forbid if he gets hurt.......

R26 Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 2 weeks ago #26556

• Rabbit
This sport is all about momentum.

They did get the jump on us because we were out enthused.
But after that every time they threw it left they made a break.
It keeps the defense on the back foot and you get no line speed, which leads to even more momentum.
It's a recipe to keep the momentum going all in one direction.
Blake this season in different patches. has had no involvement in matches (Like three hit ups) Other matches he's made crucial errors, other times he's given away crucial penalties. He's great in open space. But...

Whare is a great Centre, He's just been injured for a long period. It's not like Blake or anyone else can complain about being dumped after that performance. If Whare has a crap performance next week -- bring back Blake -- It's not like either one is a rookie.

That's two losses in a row running into the semi's. Get rid of the Bubble gum chewing blow in!! He has no passion for the team (I never see him show any emotion)

Get rid of this "blow in" Gould. Just suck it up, you made a error bringing him hear.

R26 Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 2 weeks ago #26557

• richo
  • Thank you received: 111
Just maybe we over estimated the abilities of our playing roster. This has been a hugely disappointing season despite qualifying for the finals.

Frankly, aside from Dylan Edwards, Nathan Cleary and maybe one of two others almost our entire playing roster did not improve or perform at the same level as they did last season.

Some of our players have had very, very poor seasons for one reason or another. You don't need me to spell out who they are I am sure you can work it out for yourselves.
The following user(s) said Thank You   mutley, steamboatfarmer

R26 Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 2 weeks ago #26558

• Panther Jack
  • It's bad luck i swear.
  • Thank you received: 108
A lot of teams underperform in the last round because their finals fate has already been(virtually) secured.Manly's wasn't so they obviously had a lot more motivation to play well than us because despite all the talk, there'd be that +38 PD in our minds.

The fact is, Manly won't be able to replicate that performance again.They're drained.That was their GF.We essentially had nothing to play for(no top four, no difference to where we'd play in the finals).

Parramatta lost 37-0 against Dragons in round 26, 2009 and then beat them in the first week of the finals.This isn't uncharted territory.This is simple psychological and physiological strategies at work.Why match it with a team that's playing at semi final intensity when we don't need to?We just played two months of non stop semi final intensity matches and the fact is we needed a break.If that means we needed to lose the way we did then so be it.We'll be much better in the finals for it.

Losing is never fun but we're in the finals after 2-7 to begin the season, great turnaround Penrith.

Bring on Cronulla.
Last Edit: 3 months 2 weeks ago by Panther Jack.
The following user(s) said Thank You   mutley, Pomoz

R26 Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 2 weeks ago #26559

• Puss
  • Thank you received: 256
.... a lacklustre performance like yesterdays is NOT the perfect
preparation for semi final football nor is it the time for wholesale
changes. Hopefully this side will lift their game otherwise it's
sayonara for 2017.

On Moylan/Griffen ........ FIX IT once and for all. Cleary/Moylan
is by far our best halves pairing going forward. You let Moylan
walk, we're going backwards IMO.

Off season is time someone tapped Wallace on the shoulder.
A true club stalwart should be considering retirement. He was
literally bashed out of yesterday's contest.

Blake had a shocker ... let him think about it, on the bench.
Whare's defence come a semi appearance is preferable.
Last Edit: 3 months 2 weeks ago by Puss.
The following user(s) said Thank You   Rabbit

R26 Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 2 weeks ago #26560

that is an excellent point Richo......so the larger question would be how does someone like Bellamy bring players into his system who are either at the end of their careers or were unwanted at other clubs and gets them to perform at a new high-level?

How does Bellamy get a team who were finalists last year to perform at an even higher level the subsequent year?

One would have thought if you just made the 8 or close to the 8..improving on that would be not easier but expected.....yet Griffin has not got any improvement from anyone in the squad.

Edwards and Many were in the lower grades so their improvement came from that coach.......Cleary has developed i would suspect also from the lower grade coach plus his father.....not Griffin.

Its a great talking point why we in real terms have gone backwards as a team......save for May/Cleary and Edwards and these 3 have masked our underlying problems
Last Edit: 3 months 2 weeks ago by steamboatfarmer.
The following user(s) said Thank You   mutley

R26 Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 2 weeks ago #26561

• Pomoz
  • Thank you received: 204
steamboatfarmer wrote:
that is an excellent point Richo......so the larger question would be how does someone like Bellamy bring players into his system who are either at the end of their careers or were unwanted at other clubs and gets them to perform at a new high-level?

How does Bellamy get a team who were finalists last year to perform at an even higher level the subsequent year?

One would have thought if you just made the 8 or close to the 8..improving on that would be not easier but expected.....yet Griffin has not got any improvement from anyone in the squad.

Edwards and Many were in the lower grades so their improvement came from that coach.......Cleary has developed i would suspect also from the lower grade coach plus his father.....not Griffin.

Its a great talking point why we in real terms have gone backwards as a team......save for May/Cleary and Edwards and these 3 have masked our underlying problems
As general rule, I let you rant because I know you hate Gus and Griffin and there is nothing rational I can say to change your mind, but you are tying yourself in knots here. You say Griffin can't coach and then attribute all the development in Edwards and Cleary to "other people". Their coach was Griffin, not the other people. Fact. Their development this year is down to Griffin. You failed to mention CHN but he also debuted this year and then there is May. You will probably explain that away as their mother/Uncle a bloke at the Penrith RSL who coaches them, 'other people' any one but Griffin. The fact is their coach was Griffin and he deserves praise for bringing them on. If you can't give the coach credit for those players then you also can't blame him if its not working. Clearly the 'other people' are not doing a good job and we should get the 'other people' in a room and sack them.

Griffin is 2 for 2. No other coach has achieved that at Penrith since 2004. His win rate is better than every coach at Penrith except Willey.
Of course he doesn't compare to Bellamy who is one of the greatest coaches ever to coach in the NRL. That doesn't make Griffin a bad coach.

2 for 2. Fact. Best win percentage since Willey. Fact.

R26 Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 2 weeks ago #26562

• Griggsy
  • Thank you received: 22
Griffen is to blame for the loss. He did not have his team ready both physically and mentally. It's a big ask to go to lotto land in round 26 when everything is on the line and expect an easy win. Griffen failed with the Broncos and will fail with Penrith. Yes, his stats are the best in over 10 years but he is not a leader. He would make a better recruitment officer. If we lose Moylan it will be nobody's fault but Griffens and it is a damn shame that this issue has been raised now. Another quality player that may be scoring tries against us in 2018.

The sooner we give Brennan the job the better, and it shits me that Gould continually tells the press that Brennan is ready for first grade and should have been seriously looked at for the Knights and now the Titans. He should have the Panthers job. He has grown and raised most of the current players in first grade and the players want to win for him. The same can't be said about Griffen.

What a great player Whare is and I feel for him being put in a position he does not do well in. Only Griffen would do something like this and put a player in such a shit position.

Well done to RCG, Yeo, DWZ, Blake and Cleary. None tried harder. (Look at those names, all raised by Brennan)

R26 Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 2 weeks ago #26563

If Griffin has acheieved anything this year, at least he has breathed life back into the forum lol.

It's true we are in the finals back to back for the first time since 04, a much appreciated achievement indeed.

I do wonder if the "game plan" last night was not to get injured, and not to let them beat us by 37. It's not like it would be the first time a coach has done that going into the finals.

That said, the last time we did that was in 91, so a lot of Penrith games under the bridge since then.

I do hope we can turn this around, but there's a bit of a head versus heart battle going on within me.

Will make a run from now on, or whimper out backwoods? Only next week will tell.

And I do hope that if there is anything to this Moylen thing that it goes away before next game.

R26 Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 2 weeks ago #26564

• Puss
  • Thank you received: 256
2 for 2 eh Pomoz. Then should we sign him for life? B)

Sounds more like an Aussie cricket score to me !!! :whistle:
The following user(s) said Thank You   steamboatfarmer

R26 Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 2 weeks ago #26565

you are so king to let me rant as you say......how condescending of you.

Its called MY opinion.....at least i have one and don't replicate what you read or heard on a TV broadcast

Here is a mental test for you.......tell us all on this forum about a single set play we have?

Indeed tell us all about how Cartwright has gone from a free running second rower to a whimp and a shadow of his former self?

Then you could tell us how a great coach (in your eyes) Griffin has "discipline" issues with his Team Captain......then with TMM and Blake?

I have my opinion and its a true today as it was last year

Griffin CANNOT coach and the sooner we sack Gould the better.

They are both a liability for club who doesn't know how to build a system like Bellamy has.......and a system like Bellamy has would never be allowed under Gould.

He would be scared they would get his job!

FACT

Griffin is unable to develop/implement and get his team to have a game plan!!!!

Griffin is unable and incapable of building a team

FACT

Gould should be nowhere near this club and the sooner he is gone the better

And this years result is a major disappointment..........and we will exit the Finals after game 1 next week.

We are likely to face the Sharks and they will bash us in the forwards ala Manly last night as that is the Panthers great weakness.

Thats right Gould bought both Tamou and Griffin.......havent they been standouts for Panthers

R26 Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 2 weeks ago #26566

I can understand what your saying pomoz but I'm not a big fan of some stats. It's like a player will get alot of praise for making 50 tackles.......but what were those tackles? if they are 3rd man in and basically flopping it's considered a tackle. The same goes for our coach.

Griffin arrived at the club at the right time. All the hard work had been done by Ivan. He inherited a squad that if kept injury free would challenge for a title. We were even favourites this year. Apart from a few brilliant individual displays we have played very mediocre as a team. He failed at the cappless Broncos and alot players have actually regressed since he has arrived. We are the 2nd worst in missed tackles and our attack is predictable and at times clueless.

Sure we made the finals and thats great but with the squad and depth available it's definitely under achieved.
Last Edit: 3 months 2 weeks ago by Lismore Panther.
The following user(s) said Thank You   Puss, Southernhillfan

R26 Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 2 weeks ago #26567

• Rabbit
Even if we win this year, I'll never forgive Griffin for not preparing the Panthers for that Canberra semi final last year. Everybody in the rugby league universe knows it is slippery when played at night. What a missed opportunity. They were on fire last year, way slicker than this year -- this is why we were installed as favorites, because of our form at the back end of last year. They lost purely on preparation. That's his job. He lost me there and then.

-- He also doesn't discipline players when they have bad form.

-- He shows no passion - he is a cold fish. He just doesn't seem like he cares when we lose.

-- I can't stand him!!
  • Page: