Switch to desktop Register Login

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: QF Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread

QF Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 1 week ago #26626

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 146
Two grades go into finals today, both the NRL and Holden Cup team will be playing at Allianz Stadium.

The Holden Cup side are playing the Dragons at 5pm. A win can see them move only a game away from the grand final, and a loss will see them miss the week off and play in week 2 of the finals.

The NRL side are playing the Sea Eagles at 7:40pm in a Elimination Final. A win will see the Panthers play week 2 of the finals in Queensland against the Broncos. A loss will see the Panthers season come to an end.

Be sure to get out to the games today at Allianz and support the boys.
Last Edit: 3 months 1 week ago by Steve Tidball.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

QF Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 1 week ago #26627

• mutley
  • Thank you received: 205
We should see a better performance than last week. Edwards probable return will be a huge boost for us.

I posted this elsewhere, but worth repeating:

Just a quick note for anyone heading to the game (which I hope is everyone here who lives within about 3 hours of Sydney), the AFL semi final between the Bombers & Swans is on at the SCG before our game (probably finishing around 7pm), so it is going to be very busy in there. I would recommend not leaving it to the last minute to arrive as parking & traffic will be a nightmare, and public transport will also be packed.

I would recommend jumping on a club bus, or if you are travelling by car/public transport aim to get there between 5-6pm so the AFL traffic has cleared, but you beat the regular Saturday night traffic converging on the Entertainment Quarter.

QF Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 1 week ago #26628

• Bryan
  • Thank you received: 45
I work as a Massage Therapist. I would be very surprised if Edwards is 100% fit. Medial ligament injuries from sports usually occur when the knee is slightly bent and the leg is rotated - just the kind of motion that a running fullback like Edwards would do many times in a game. He had a Grade 2 tear, which is considerably more significant than a Grade 1. I hope I'm wrong but, unless the Physios at Penrith are absolute miracle workers, I can't see him being anywhere near full fitness.

I'd be keeping Luai on the bench just in case Edwards reinjures his knee - a pretty realistic possibility, IMHO. Or, Yeo can cover centre, Whare to wing & DWZ to fullback.

But, I'm a Massage guy not a Physio. So, fingers crossed...

QF Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 1 week ago #26630

• mutley
  • Thank you received: 205
I was surprised when he was announced as part of the squad and agree that he can't be 100%. It's a tough choice between risking a player who is under an injury cloud or bringing in a debutant. Hopefully Hook has made the right decision.

QF Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 1 week ago #26631

Great first half, we are overpowering them.

Everyone playing well, Cartwright having his best game of the year.

QF Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 1 week ago #26632

And get that up ya Walker :silly:
The following user(s) said Thank You   Southernhillfan

QF Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 1 week ago #26633

• Bryan
Well, I was completely wrong - as usual. Edwards got through the game with no problems.

Great win. Two Manly disallowed tries. I thought the offside call against Walker was correct & Uate should have scored the 2nd, but just dropped it cold. Good luck for us & Peachey's try - well, different camera angles gave different impressions. I'll take his word that it didn't touch his hands.

We showed a lot of guts tonight when most pundits didn't give us a chance. Wallace was a hero. So was Leota in his time on, RCG was good, so was Tamou, Fisher-Harris was a beast, ditto Mansour & special mention to Dean Whare for his defence & spending time in the middle & getting us on the front foot often in the 2nd half. Cleary was great - really, the the whole team's attitude was back to where it had been for 2 months until the last two weeks.

Having said that, it was scrappy & we will need to be much more clinical against the Broncos. But that's next week! We're still alive, the Eagles are dead and the world is a beautiful place!

You f*****in' beauty!!
The following user(s) said Thank You   Puss, steamboatfarmer

QF Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 1 week ago #26634

To say I'm stoked is an understatement.

5 points of improvement that should have other teams worried;

1) the menace - in both attack and defense we hit hard and fast. A complete contrast to last week

2) Bryce Cartwright comes back to form - his running, passing and kicking was spot on. When we needed a hit up, he hit up, when we needed an extra playmaker he stood up.2 tries and 1 try assist.

3) welcome back Edwards. Hard to believe he only had one week off for a grade 2 medial injury. While a loose pass led to a try, his defense and kick return gave us the meters we needed.

4) Whare at centre - what a world of difference compared to Blake. As far as I'm concerned, Blake should beef up in the off season an transition into the back row, as barring injury, Whare and Peachey now own the centre spots.

5) Cleary mixing his kicks up - the long range grubber, kicking long early in the tackle count.

All in all a good gutsy effort. Not perfect by any means, but with finals it doesn't matter how you win.

What a grub is walker! I wish someone could have put him on his arse.

Not that anyone would know, but is RCG the fastest prop in the NRL?

Bring on the Broncos!
The following user(s) said Thank You   mutley, Lismore Panther, steamboatfarmer

QF Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 1 week ago #26635

• Kevin
  • Panthers Hate Parra
  • Thank you received: 186
When we are playing to our strengths we go hard for the first 20 and then start the strategy I.e. Kicking to the corners and turning sides around, we are young and fit and that is a telling factor when we get it right.

I never give MOTM to a back out of principal, but Mansour was as good as anyone tonight, except RCG lol

Loved the fact Merrin got "hooked" when trying a ridiculous offload on the 2nd tackle coming out of our own half, that's a coach who won't accept mediocrity, loved it !!!

QF Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 1 week ago #26636

• richo
  • Thank you received: 111
One of those games where it was very difficult to pick a stand out. We had 17 very courageous players out there tonight. It was a real gutsy team effort.
The following user(s) said Thank You   Puss, Southernhillfan, steamboatfarmer

QF Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 1 week ago #26637

• Puss
  • Thank you received: 256
.... a gallant response to last weeks shellacking.
a little luck with crucial calls, we relaxed and almost
let them spring back after the Peachey 'hand of God'.

Well done Bryce Cartwright he didn't overplay his hand.
Whare was as solid as a rock and the forwards terrific.
Mansours contribution was enormous even with one
arm tied behind his back. If Uates chicken wing don't
get reported then I don't know what should.

Broncs are likely to provide a sterner test, we'll see !!!
The following user(s) said Thank You   Southernhillfan, steamboatfarmer

QF Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 1 week ago #26638

all have described it as it should have......a real gutsy win and the boys showed some real resolve and much to my delight played finals football and whilst we had some moments as we usually do we didn't seem to lose focus on the bigger picture........and that was to grind out a win.

All have described how well the team played but Cleary had time to weave his magic because the forwards did their thing.....bent the Manly forwards in attack and in defence we brave and strong.

Edwards is a remarkable kid..returning from his injury and whilst not 100%.....he still added something and played solid......i just hope he improves and his running game will add another dimension to our attack if he pulls up ok after last night.

Last night we played with intent and whilst we were still short of where we can be i believe there are enough signs there to show we are simply not making up the numbers......we are right in the mix in the finals and i hold no fear about going to Brisbane.

We still look a little clunky in our attack but its coming together but what was noticeable last night was the spirit and passion the boys showed...that is the whole group..the complete 17 of them

Well done boys........its onto Brisbane and if we get through them its onto to Storm .

First things first........get the rehab right this week especially on Edwards.........and then lets get ready to rumble with the Broncos.

One disappointing thing last night and perhaps all games so far.......the lousy crowds at Allianz and i believe todays game between Cronulla and Cowboys only 4000 tickets have been sold.

The NRL should be embarrassed by this......why they wouldn't give away tickets just to fill the ground is beyond me.

Swans got 46000 last night and 15408 at last nights Panthers v Manly game (which i doubt)

Enough of that.........well done boys.....you deserve all the praise for a mighty effort
The following user(s) said Thank You   Southernhillfan

QF Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 1 week ago #26639

• Bryan
The way the team played put to rest any rumours that the Moylan issue has divided the team, that Griffin has lost some of the players, etc. There is simply no way a divided team could play with the spirit & commitment the Panthers showed last night.

For me, that's one of the biggest, and most pleasing, things to take out of last night's game.
The following user(s) said Thank You   mutley, Pomoz, Southernhillfan

QF Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 6 days ago #26640

• shazza
  • Thank you received: 161
After an abysmal performance against a fired up Sea Eagles outfit last start, the Panthers were out for redemption at the Olympic Stadium last night and after a torrid 80 minutes of mostly controlled aggression, achieved their goal by doing a Manly on Manly. To put it simply, our forwards took control from the opening whistle and bashed their opponents out of the game. Every forward had a clear picture of the job to be done and did it without taking a backward step.

The most significant contributing factors to our stunning turnaround in form (a week’s a long time in football), was the belated selection of Moses Leoto, who terrorized the Manly big men with an inspired opening salvo of powerful running and take-no-prisoners defence, and Dean Whare’s elevation to the centres where he shut down the right-side turnstile from last week and injected some much needed stability into a ¾ line that can, at times, be both brilliant and completely disfunctional. Corey Harawira-Naera also made a massive contribution to the right side revival with 30 or so crunching tackles and a whole-hearted effort in attack. On the other side of the ruck, Isiah Yeo did what he’s been doing all year. He was a rock in defence and a constant metre eater in attack. Trent Merrin hasn’t been getting much positive press lately but he’s been one of our very best since his return from injury and (baring one glaring mistake) last night’s performance was no exception. He continually grafted valuable metres through the thick of the action and his no-frills defence was faultless. RCG worked tirelessly and is fast establishing himself as the best young prop in the NRL.

Mansour, despite a couple of lapses in concentration that could have proved costly, bashed, barged and ran for almost 250 metres and DWZ, awash with claret from a cut to his cheek, also put his hand up for plenty of hard carries out of our own end. In the centres, Peachey, prodded and probed the opposition defence all night and was rewarded with the deadlock breaking try which was great display of opportunism and salesmanship. I don’t know if he touched it or not but he left no doubt in the referee’s mind that his left hand didn’t get within a bull’s roar of the ball and that’s all it took to stifle the video ref from overturning the on-field decision.

Being a long suffering Panther supporter, I’m all too familiar with what the rough end of the pineapple feels like so it was a pleasant surprise to finally have some crucial 50/50 decisions go our way. The general consensus from Manly supporters after the game was either they were desperately unlucky or just plain robbed. No-one can doubt that the game was a lot closer than the final score might indicate but equally there’s little doubt, certainly by all but dyed-in-the-wool Manly supporters, that the Panthers won the battle decisively and ultimately, the war. Thankfully Cartwright’s last try took the result out of the realm of a “lucky win”.

It was great to see Cartwright back to something like his old self. Even better is the fact that he’s still playing with a degree of conservatism and not overplaying his hand.
He could still do with a lot more shoulder in his defence but you set up a try and score two yourself, you’re entitled to a good deal of slack in any critical assessment of your performance. I’m just pleased to see him back.

What can be said about Dylan Edwards? Quite simply, he’s a freak. In a performance reminiscent of ‘Search for the Holy Grail’s Black Knight, he showed absolutely no sign of having suffered a recent “season ending injury”. He tore into the fray with the same speed, courage and disdain for self-preservation that has been the hallmark of his performance since pulling on the number one jersey.
MoM, in a very even field, was probably Nathan Cleary. He bounced back from an uncharacteristic below par performance last week to completely overshadow “flavor of the month” Dally Cherry-Evans with a totally professional display of generalship.
100% off the boot was just icing on the cake.

Beating the Broncos in Brisbane is a big ask but of the teams left in the race Brisbane (I feel) is the most vulnerable. They copped a very solid working over (and lost) from the very physical Roosters side and could be well and truly ripe for the picking if we go up there with the same aggressive attitude we took to last night’s encounter.

shazza
Last Edit: 3 months 6 days ago by shazza. Reason: omission
The following user(s) said Thank You   Pomoz, Southernhillfan

QF Sea Eagles v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 6 days ago #26641

• mr walker
  • Thank you received: 129
A victory for the true believers! Well at least for those that dared to dream :-)

I has a good feeling about the game when I ran into Royce as we left the bus and headed to the gates :)

The boys did us proud, playing their backsides off & overcame a mob of d/h's who were offside for basically the whole game. Don't want to single out anyone - it was truly a team effort, a team who were playing for each other.

Made a few ordinary errors, but played the full 80 mins and left nothing in the tank.

I certain irony when 'chicken wing' Uatai fumbled the ball to give us the opportunity we needed to win the game.

The last month or so was a stark reminder of why everyone hates those a***holes from Manly - whinging, whining oxygen thieves. Barrett has always been a d/h and has raised the bar since joining the scum club.

Special callout to the fans who travelled to the game and left without a voice, but happy!!!

Proud to be a Panther. Just making arrangements for Brissie on Fri night.
The following user(s) said Thank You   Pomoz