SF Broncos v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 1 day ago #26654

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 146
Two grades on this afternoon.

Holden Cup Panthers v Broncos @ 5:15pm
Telstra Premiership Panthers v Broncos @ 7:40pm

These games are elimination finals.

Both games will be on Fox League (Channel 502) for those who are unable to get to Suncorp Stadium tonight.

Good luck to the boys and here's hoping to surviving another week of the finals.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

SF Broncos v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 1 day ago #26656

Go Panthers!

I believe in you boys, believe in yourself too!
The following user(s) said Thank You   Bryan

SF Broncos v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 1 day ago #26657

• Bryan
  • Thank you received: 45
Here we go.

Come on, Panthers. Kick their f*&#in' arses!

SF Broncos v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 1 day ago #26658

6-0 at half time.

Gee this is one tough game.

May out with a knee injury, good thing Cartwrights form is up.

We onened possession in the last 15 minutes, but couldn't turn it into points

Tahmou having a blinder, as is Mansour.

The game is anyone's for the taking.

SF Broncos v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 1 day ago #26659

• Bryan
Half time. 6 - 0 to the Broncs.

We started poorly & looked way off the pace. The last 20 mins we've looked much better, but either inexperience or finals pressure has cost us. The pet play of feeding Harawera-Naera has been read well by Moga, and our timing is of by enough to make us look like we're disjointed.

We're not disjointed, just not crisp.

My looks like he's gone for the night, done a knee, either a medial collateral ligament or a cruciate ligament. Carty to 5/8. If Griffin can get the timing right at half time, and we get back in the arm wrestle the way we did to finish the half, we're still well in with a chance.

One more thing: The play where Oates got concussed, we picked the ball up & would have scored if it had ben called "Play On?" The refs did EXACTLY the right thing in pulling the play up in order to get Oates attention ASAP. Their duty of care to players comes first.

Looking forward to he 2nd half.

SF Broncos v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 1 day ago #26660

As much as I am a one-eyed Panther fan I agree with the game stoppage for Oates injury.

never want to see someone hurt like that.

God Wall is tough.

SF Broncos v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 1 day ago #26661

• TalentScout
  • Thank you received: 82
We put a bomb up to Nikorima and he drops it..
And don't go there again??
Dumb..

SF Broncos v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 1 day ago #26662

• Bryan
Brisbane were too good. We weren't smart enough, we weren't creative enough & we simply weren't good enough.

We tried hard & we were brave. Brisbane were just better. No shame in that.

We had a good season, we accomplished a lot & we can take a lot out of it.

See you all next year.

SF Broncos v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 1 day ago #26663

I keep telling myself it's better to loose this game than loose the grand final, mind you that's only happened once in my life.

We played well, Broncos played better.

No shame in our effort, we actually won most of the stats, just not the one that counted on the scoreboard.

Well done guys, you may feel the pain now, but be proud of what you have accomplished and learn from this defeat next year.

SF Broncos v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 1 day ago #26664

• Panther Jack
  • It's bad luck i swear.
  • Thank you received: 108
Season ended by poor refereeing again.

Get dudded, don't say anything, get dudded, don't say anything...

Deja vu.

SF Broncos v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 1 day ago #26665

• Panther Jack
  • It's bad luck i swear.
And about the Oates stoppage, on several occasions tonight players went down from both teams, with both teams in possession at stages.The only time play stopped was when we were in possession.

I'm proven right week after week, year after year and I absolutely hate that to be the case.

The club is never going to achieve success if they choose to keep putting up with this shit.

SF Broncos v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 1 day ago #26666

• Rabbit
  • Thank you received: 60
I thought the panthers were a victim of the sport (2017). - 1.General Stoppages of play. - 2. The red zone problem.

- You really don't want to spend too much time in the red Zone. Not just in this game, every team is offside. And so many players end up in the tackle, because they know they don't have to retreat 10 yards, They get up, one step back, and their onside. There is an art to getting tangled up.

- We have been storming home because of the fatigue factor = There was an unbelievable amount of stoppages tonight. They stopped the sport for absolute everything. Ridiculous!

- With Moylan they were frantic and terrible in the red zone. Without him, they looked predictable and terrible in the red zone. This is the twentieth time I have typed this on the forum this year = Short attacking kicks behind the line. That Moga who kept racing out of the line = Kick it behind him. Shit!
The following user(s) said Thank You   Puss

SF Broncos v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 1 day ago #26667

• mutley
  • Thank you received: 205
The effort was there, but the execution wasn't. Credit to the Broncos, they defended well, but we didn't make them work too hard for it. Hopefully Hook can work on our attack in the off season

SF Broncos v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 1 day ago #26668

• Panther Jack
  • It's bad luck i swear.
Hopefully the club can grow a fucking backbone and make a stern statement about the refereeing for once.

We could have played the Harlem Globetrotters equivalent of Rugby League tonight but it wouldn't have meant shit with how long we were slowed down in the ruck for and how far off Brisbane were off their line when we were inside their ten.

The fact of the matter is, opposition clubs against us are afforded a HUGE advantage in defence.Such an advantage in which we try to replicate it on our end and we'd get murdered with penalties.

SF Broncos v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 1 day ago #26669

• TalentScout
  • Thank you received: 82
mutley wrote:
Hopefully Hook can work on our attack in the off season

I have an attacking playbook (with 62 plays in it) that's designed to pull down the pants of the opposition.
He can borrow a few...

SF Broncos v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 1 day ago #26670

• Puss
  • Thank you received: 256
"a victim of the sport" - quote rabbit

there have been numerous victims of the sport this year, least of all the referees.
Coaches always appear to be immune to criticism for rorting the rules or using
tactics not in the best interest of the game. Don't you think it's time our rules
we're redefined. Not by the coaches ... no,no,no, by an independent think tank
of interested parties inc the refs to make the sport more viewable to the public.
Fact is if the refs blew the whistle each time there was an indisretion the game
would last 120 mins not 80. The media commentary doesn't help with their
assessment on certain rulings to the point the average joe has no idea what's
going on. A simple game has gone mad.

SF Broncos v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 1 day ago #26671

well thats it for 2017

Thanks to Steve and all the folks who work on this site, allowing people like myself to post.....brilliant work.

Thanks to all the posters whose posts i enjoy immensely for their comment/point of view and even at times robust discussion, Its great to come to a site like this and be able to read and contribute with folks who are as passionate about Panthers.

I hope all the players who have injuries recover and come back able to make a major contribution next year.

I believe Storm will win the comp and deservedly so.

Good luck to all posters and readers and see you all next year.
The following user(s) said Thank You   mutley, Pomoz, Southernhillfan, Bryan

SF Broncos v Panthers - Game Day Thread 3 months 23 hours ago #26672

• shazza
  • Thank you received: 161
Would have, should have, could have, the game was there to win, but unfortunately the Achilles heel that has plagued our team all season, our inability to convert possession and field position into points (particularly in the opposition red zone), once again consigned us to the runners-up stall. We are unsurpassed in the NRL for time spent in the opposition twenty without scoring.

It would have been all too easy for Griffin (at his post-match press conference) to have done a Barrett or a Flannigan and blamed the whistleblowers for our demise (he certainly had cause) but, to his credit, he lay the blame for our loss at the feet of his players, which is exactly where it belonged. He didn’t criticize their effort, the fact that they were able to hold the Broncos to just two tries is testament to their commitment to defence, but Griffin left no doubt that he was less than impressed with his charges’ failure to capitalize on their opportunities to score tries. He may be in a fragile place right now (who knows?) but there is absolutely no doubt that had Moylan been allowed to play the result would have been a whole lot different.

Regan Campbell-Gillard with almost 50 tackles, 2 line-breaks, a try and plenty of hard fought metres, was a standout for our side with a performance that won’t have been missed by Mal Meninga. Trent Merrin’s powerhouse performance in both attack and defence was rewarded with an inexplicable amount of time on the bench, ditto Moses Leota.

Dean Whare put in another thoroughly professional performance in the centres, which will undoubtedly go pretty much unremarked and unreported. Mansour created havoc amongst the Broncos’ defence, as only Mansour can, and might also have played himself onto big Mal’s shopping list. Dylan Edwards copped a lot of punishment but to his credit kept putting his hand up for more and almost stole a match winner in the dying moments of the game.

Isiah Yeo and James Tamour worked tirelessly, as did a bruised and battered Peter Wallace. Corey Harawira-Naera had a game he’d most likely prefer to forget but to be fair to him there is a limit to the number of hospital passes you can be expected to take without developing a bit of gun-shyness. He certainly didn’t shy away from the tough stuff in defence. He’ll be all the better for the experience of a no-holds-barred final hit-out and next season I expect to see the complete package. He’s certainly got the goods. If he can be as good as his second row partner is right now, I’ll be more than happy.

Nathan Cleary did his reputation no harm whatsoever but lacked the support of another quality organizer. Hopefully Jarome Luai, the next big thing coming through the ranks, will be given an opportunity to partner him in 2018. Check him out in the reserve grade Grand Final, not to put too much pressure on him mind, but he’s a 20 year-old clone of Anthony Millford.

In some ways it was probably a good time to dip out because Brisbane aren’t all that flash and next week against a quality opponent things could have gotten really ugly.

shazza
Last Edit: 3 months 23 hours ago by shazza. Reason: typo
The following user(s) said Thank You   Pomoz

SF Broncos v Panthers - Game Day Thread 2 months 4 weeks ago #26673

• mutley
  • Thank you received: 205
Our NSW Cup team have Qualified but the Grand Final next week, after defeating the Bulldogs 16-12. We will play Wyong next Sunday @ 6.45pm, at Liechhardt Oval

SF Broncos v Panthers - Game Day Thread 2 months 4 weeks ago #26674

• Kevin
  • Panthers Hate Parra
  • Thank you received: 186
Courageous effort

SF Broncos v Panthers - Game Day Thread 2 months 4 weeks ago #26675

• Griggsy
  • Thank you received: 22
Mmmmmmmm, another Garth Brennan coached team makes it to the Grand Final. Is that 6 GFs for him now?

Must be time for him to have a crack in first grade. Unfortunately Gus will continue selling him to other clubs and never give him the opportunity at Penrith
The following user(s) said Thank You   steamboatfarmer

SF Broncos v Panthers - Game Day Thread 2 months 4 weeks ago #26676

• richo
  • Thank you received: 111
The decision to stop play and deny us from scoring in the Corey Oates incident was clearly in my opinion the incorrect call. What difference does a matter of seconds make in terms of getting medical attention for the injured player. None. It was play on. Go to the video ref to make sure of whatever and in the mean time the injured player can get attention. 6 all at half time and it's an entirely different ball game. Not blowing up about it but playing should have been allowed to go on no doubt.

Leaving that aside we had our chances. 32 tackles inside our opponents 20 metre zone and came up with the one try to RCG which was hardly as a result of structure attacking play.

Anyway we flattered to deceive for the most of 2017 and I am surprised we got as far as we did.

Still doubts surrounding whether our head coach is the right person to get the best out of our talent pool as we too often look clueless in attack.
The following user(s) said Thank You   mutley, steamboatfarmer

SF Broncos v Panthers - Game Day Thread 2 months 3 weeks ago #26677

• Puss
  • Thank you received: 256
..... 'flattered to deceive' - quote richo. Well put.

Luv to see Brennan grow and prosper with Panthers.

5/8. 1 having his head read, 1 out till early in the '18 season
The other playing for Cowboys one game away from a grand
final appearance. And we nearly ran Edwards into the ground.

Don't know 'bout Griffen, but A'la Ivan Cleary - I'm tired !!!!!
Sick and tired. :pinch:
The following user(s) said Thank You   steamboatfarmer

SF Broncos v Panthers - Game Day Thread 2 months 3 weeks ago #26679

• Panther Jack
  • It's bad luck i swear.
It's hard to set up successful structures when the defence is a good 2-3+ metres off their line when we were inside their 10.

It's hard to set up a quick play when we're held in an arm bar for 15 seconds which doesn't result in a penalty.

It's hard to get a move on when sides are allowed to kick balls away when we're trying to get out of our own end.

It's hard to build momentum when sides get play stopped when defending because of cramp or concussion but we don't when we're defending because of concussion and ACL tear.

It's hard to avoid giving up one pointers when we're pinged for opposition teams knocking on.

It's hard to win when shit like this keeps happening all because the club is too stupid to acknowledge it.The fact that decisions that have been proven to be 100% correct the prior week has got far greater publicity than any instance over recent years, let alone this season.Shows how weak and spineless this club is.

Absolute embarrassment.
Last Edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by Panther Jack.