Panther Pride

Switch to desktop Register Login

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: The case against golden point

The case against golden point 2 years 2 months ago #23099

• mutley
  • Thank you received: 205
As many of you would know, I have been a critic of golden point since it's inception. I have never been comfortable with the idea that you could lose a game with just 1 set in extra time, without any chance of being able to redeem yourself.

Last night we saw the worst possible case of losing in golden point - 1 stuff up off the kick off, then a couple of plays later a field goal is kicked, to decide a premiership.

While I was happy to see the Cowboys win last night, I really feel for the Broncos, and in particular Ben Hunt whose mistake ended up costing his side the premiership.

For such an important game, it is a lousy way to decide the result. At the very least it should be golden try, better still, revert to the old format of 10 minutes each way, giving both teams an equal chance to win the game. If still tied, then another 10 minutes each way or golden try.

The system we have now is little better than the toss of a coin, and it would've heartbreaking if we were in the position that the Broncos found themselves in last night.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You   hivnoh holova, Pomoz

The case against golden point 2 years 2 months ago #23100

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 146
I don't have a problem with it.

In the particular instance of last nights Grad Final the Broncos had lost that game with a good 20 minutes left on the clock. Attempting to defend a 4 point lead is a horrible idea. The Broncos had not scored a try at all in the second half and all they did was kick it into touch every set, trying to eat up time. That is where the Broncos lost the game, not in golden point.

Having a replay as Bennett suggested is just a cop-out, it's unfair to the 82,000+ fans to not have a conclusion. The AFL learn this a few years ago with it's Grand Final replay.

I would be open to making it a 'Golden Try' but with already fatigued sides and the fact one try was scored in the second half, as was seen last night, the game may have stretched on forever. It still requires skill to set up a field goal and thus don't accept the 'lottery' argument.

Ben Hunt knocked the ball on and the Cowboys seized their opportunity. The Broncos should have spent their last 20 minutes putting on a try and putting the game to rest rather than holding on to a razor thin lead. Sport is a harsh mistress sometimes, and you just got to take the bad with the good.
The following user(s) said Thank You   TalentScout

The case against golden point 2 years 2 months ago #23102

• mutley
Agree that the Broncos didn't do themselves any favours with negative tactics in the back end if the game. Truth be told, Cowboys blew about 3-4 chances before the try that sent it to golden point anyway.

Also agree that a replay the following week is not the way to go. We all want a result on the day. I just think that 10 minutes each way is a better option than golden point. I would even prefer golden try, as it would be harder to achieve than a field goal, thereby giving more chance for both teams. With fatigue setting in, I doubt it would take too long before someone broke through to score a try.
The following user(s) said Thank You   hivnoh holova

The case against golden point 2 years 2 months ago #23104

• panthermike
  • Thank you received: 10
Golden point for games each round but 10 minutes each way for a grand final. Besides I would have liked to see them bash the crap out of each other........

The case against golden point 2 years 2 months ago #23107

• mutley
Do we really need golden point during the regular season? Why not go back to having drawn games?

Every time I have compared how the ladder would have ended up if draws took the place of golden point results, it has ended up identical to how it does with golden point.
The following user(s) said Thank You   Kevin

The case against golden point 2 years 2 months ago #23110

• Kevin
  • Panthers Hate Parra
  • Thank you received: 186
extra time in the regular season makes for an unfair comp, some teams last season had a 5 day turn around after golden point the game prior, that extra effort drains teams.

I would be happy for draws in the regular season and only golden point in the finals. I am happy with the field goal situation, they could have just as easily kicked to the wing and scored, it's still a kick IMO.

I would however like to have a rule that, if you miss the field goal, the opposition get the ball from where you kicked it and or the 20 at the very least with zero tackle.

This IMO would nullify the "pot shots" from 40 out and you would see more attacking footy through the hands.
The following user(s) said Thank You   mutley

The case against golden point 2 years 2 months ago #23113

• Panther1967
  • Thank you received: 142
I do agree with Kev were a draw should be the norm during comp matches.

But golden point is the best way to go about in deciding the finals series.

Unless they have a kick for goal from the halfway shootout.
Last Edit: 2 years 2 months ago by Panther1967.

The case against golden point 2 years 2 months ago #23114

• TalentScout
  • Thank you received: 82
I hate draws.....
Both teams supporters leave the ground with a feeling of loss.
You pay the money and go to games for a result.
Who cares if the players have to do overtime.? Many people in their own workforce have to burn extra calories to get the job done.

Make it golden try.. At the begging of extra time, each team takes the field with a reduced number (say 11), after each team has 2 sets of possession, 2 more players drop off. If no try is scored in the next 2 sets of possession half time. We see plenty of tries in 9's..
I personally, don't mind the field goal. But, if it's done in the 1st set, the opposing team must have the right to reply.
In the GF, Brisbane had their right taken away when Hunt dropped the ball from the kick off.

Wayne Bennett calling for a replay is just outrageous.. not a bad idea back when all teams were local.
Imagine all Broncos and Cowboys fans having to travel and pay accommodation, expenses etc and not get a result on the day..

The case against golden point 2 years 2 months ago #23115

• Kevin
  • Panthers Hate Parra
Funny you say that re draws TS, when we beat Parra in Golden Point it was one of the best ever moments in my Panther supporting life, hugging strangers ;) just behind the 2 premierships, that is how much I hate Parra......BUT......the reverse is the sickest feeling in the world. Do i like them......when they work in our favor :P

Once you start fiddling with the number of players on the field, your delving into dangerous territory, our game is a 13 on 13 contest, IMO you can't change that regardless (other than illegalities)of the cause. We have too many people in our game wanting to make changes every year, if we make 1 change with the numbers on the field, well that pandoras box will be plentiful.

Replaying a GF is ludicrous, I'm sure if the result was in Benno's favor he wouldn't have even mentioned it. The fact someone made a Z grade error on their line in the GF during extra time is just tough titties.

I appreciate what your saying re OT, but it is quite possible that Penrith could in fact play 20 games of extra time and they could go for 9.59 each time, is that fair and acceptable?

I have no issue with a point each for a real battle of attrition, the worst feeling would be if Taylor continually made 60 tackles a game but lost all 20 games in golden point, I'm sure he would be happy with 20 competition points for his efforts :blink:
Last Edit: 2 years 2 months ago by Kevin.

Re:The case against golden point 2 years 2 months ago #23118

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 146
Golden Point seems to favor the Panthers. I don't have my finger on the stats, but from memory the Panthers have a pretty good strike rate with golden point games.

The case against golden point 2 years 2 months ago #23119

• TalentScout
  • Thank you received: 82
Kev, I only mentioned players dropping off because that's how we get results for drawn games at Oztag (at rep level, in the finals) and it works.

I was there when Sandow potted a field goal in ET to beat us at home.. Not a very nice feeling.. But, my feeling was, u win some, u lose some. There was a result. And nothing gets under my skin more than watching happy Parra fans leave our home ground!! :sick:

Any team would be lucky (or unlucky) to play 2 games max a season that go to ET.

It's not just about the players.. Without us supporters, they don't have a game to play. We (the supporters) spend hard earnt coin buying our teams supporter gear and countless dollars on memberships, food at the ground, DRINKS (although expensive and mid strength), travelling etc etc.. To leave the ground after a draw leaves me with a feeling of loss. Which then gives me 2 chances to lose if I go to a game.. If there's golden point, I only have 1 chance to lose. My odds of winning are better.

If Taylor made 60 tackles per game, that's a player management issue, which is the coach's role. If he loses all 20 of those ET games, we need a better player to attempt our field goals.. :P

The case against golden point 2 years 2 months ago #23120

• Kevin
  • Panthers Hate Parra
Maybe the NRL should poll every clubs top 25 players and make the necessary decision based on player input. It would be interesting to see the numbers for and against draws in the regular season.

I hear ya TS re having a result, but would referees change their mindset on 50/50 calls if a draw was acceptable?

What I mean is, from an entertainment perspective, golden point makes for great viewing, if we accepted draws in the regular season would the 50/50 stay with the momentum, or continue to be offered to the losing side in an attempt to get them back into the game.

The Rorters v Dogs clash is a prime example, their is no way a side with so much momentum early can simply "drop off" and let the opposition score 20 odd unanswered points WITHOUT referee assistance by way of 50/50's. Just My Opinion

The case against golden point 2 years 1 month ago #23169

• Pomoz
  • Thank you received: 204
If you get first use of the ball roll up the field and score a 50m field goal, the other team hasn't even got a chance to attack.A field goal kickathon is also boring. The other point is that the refs become virtual spectators afraid to penalise a team. For me, I think it is fairer for it to be 10 minutes each way. If it is still drawn, drop a player from each team. After five minutes drop another player and so on until a result is reached. Teams will still play for tries, since a field goal is not the end of the game. Better for everybody, unless you love watching kickathons.

In the regular season, no extra time applies. A draw is a draw. The different turnaround times mean a team playing golden point can be heavily disadvantaged for their next game.

The case against golden point 2 years 1 month ago #23170

• Pomoz
  • Thank you received: 204
Steve Tidball wrote:
I don't have a problem with it.

In the particular instance of last nights Grad Final the Broncos had lost that game with a good 20 minutes left on the clock. Attempting to defend a 4 point lead is a horrible idea. The Broncos had not scored a try at all in the second half and all they did was kick it into touch every set, trying to eat up time. That is where the Broncos lost the game, not in golden point.

Having a replay as Bennett suggested is just a cop-out, it's unfair to the 82,000+ fans to not have a conclusion. The AFL learn this a few years ago with it's Grand Final replay.

I would be open to making it a 'Golden Try' but with already fatigued sides and the fact one try was scored in the second half, as was seen last night, the game may have stretched on forever. It still requires skill to set up a field goal and thus don't accept the 'lottery' argument.

Ben Hunt knocked the ball on and the Cowboys seized their opportunity. The Broncos should have spent their last 20 minutes putting on a try and putting the game to rest rather than holding on to a razor thin lead. Sport is a harsh mistress sometimes, and you just got to take the bad with the good.
To be fair to Wayne Bennett, he has consistently stated that golden point was not a good way to decide a game, even after his team won a game in golden point time. It is no cop-out from him.

The case against golden point 2 years 1 month ago #23171

• mutley
Pomoz wrote:
If you get first use of the ball roll up the field and score a 50m field goal, the other team hasn't even got a chance to attack.A field goal kickathon is also boring. The other point is that the refs become virtual spectators afraid to penalise a team. For me, I think it is fairer for it to be 10 minutes each way. If it is still drawn, drop a player from each team. After five minutes drop another player and so on until a result is reached. Teams will still play for tries, since a field goal is not the end of the game. Better for everybody, unless you love watching kickathons.

In the regular season, no extra time applies. A draw is a draw. The different turnaround times mean a team playing golden point can be heavily disadvantaged for their next game.

From memory, there have only been 2 occasions where 10 minutes each way wasn't sufficient to separate the teams:

1977 Grand Final, which was then replayed
1997 Super League Tri-series final, which went to Golden point

10 each way followed by Golden try, would probably be the best option

The case against golden point 2 years 1 month ago #23195

• mutley
Golden point faces boot as Trent Robinson backs Wayne Bennett’s call
November 9, 2015 12:00am
Paul CrawleyThe Daily Telegraph

SYDNEY Roosters coach Trent Robinson has backed Wayne Bennett’s call to get rid of golden point.

Bennett created an uproar after Brisbane’s heartbreaking grand final loss to North Queensland when he suggested golden point was not a fair way to decide a rugby league season.

But as one of the two coaching appointments on the powerful NRL Competition Committee that votes on new rule changes, Robinson has declared his support for a “fixed time” in extra time to decide all finals matches.

And Robinson also said he would be happy to scrap golden point shootouts for regular NRL season matches.

The Competition Committee is scheduled to meet this month to talk over potential rule changes for next year, and that will be followed by the annual coaches conference.

Robinson agreed golden point needed to be discussed, and potentially addressed.

“My stance on it is that I think there was enough discussion during the season and every season and especially after the grand final to have a discussion about it at the Competition Committee,” Robinson said.

“It was tossed up (after the grand final) that we come back (for a ­rematch). I definitely don’t agree with that.

“I believe the attrition on that day is what we want.

“But I do believe in a fixed time (in extra time).

“I remember as a kid, someone could kick a field goal in the first minute but you could still win through a try right up until the end.

“I think it is worth a discussion.”

And as for regular-season matches, Robinson said that going back to the draw also had plenty of merit.

“I think sometimes two teams deserve to share points,” Robinson said.

“Sometimes on certain days teams don’t deserve to win or lose. That would be my opinion.

“I wouldn’t say I dislike the golden point. I am not against the golden point.

“But if I had my choice they would be the points that I discussed.”

Bennett was last week voted off the Competition Committee and South Sydney’s Michael Maguire took his spot.

NRL head of football Todd Greenberg said after the grand final that there was an opportunity to change the rule, but it was up to the Competition Committee to make the change.

Bennett has never been a fan of golden point since it was introduced in 2003 but his comments after the grand final created a backlash.

Some even labelled him a bad sport.

He has since won plenty of support from former players and ­officials.

Experts from Ken Arthurson to Ray Warren are also in favour of dumping golden point.

“I have never been in favour of golden point,” Arthurson said after the grand final.

“It really is a bloody lottery.

“I have always said I don’t see anything wrong with a draw.”

Warren added at the time: “I don’t want to take anything away from the Cowboys’ victory, (but) I believe golden point is grossly ­unfair.

“I have long felt that there has to be some adjustment to it.”

The case against golden point 2 years 2 weeks ago #23240

The GF was a reasonable game with an exciting finish. The Broncos didn't try to stamp their authourity in the second half. Like Steve said they tried to defend 4 pts. If Hunt didn't drop the ball in extras he was a chance of The Churchill medal for his controlling of the game.

Going to the game I just wanted a game not decided by the refs. When we got to Homebush it was like the Broncos fans had taken over our stadium. Qld v Qld . We discussed leaving the GF with about 8 mins to go when Kaufousi got trapped in goal I thought the game was won. Then the Cowboys scored and I couldn't help standing and cheering, jumping up and down even.

Thurston missed the goal and we go to golden field goal. The Cows had blown chances with dropped balls, the Broncs had stalled for time and now one point would win. Then the Cowboys won and we left happy. It fades fast. Golden Point is not fitting unless you are a Cowboys fan

I feel it should be Golden try in finals but it could be worse. It could be goal kicks from the sideline.

The case against golden point 1 year 5 months ago #24659

• mutley
NRL Statement: Extra time in finals matches

Extra time will be played in all Finals Series matches – including Grand Finals – in 2016 and beyond.

The recommendation for a period of extra time prior to golden point in Finals matches has been officially ratified by the ARL Commission.

Under the new rule, five minutes of extra time each way will be played in the event of a draw at the conclusion of standard time. If scores are level at the end of extra time, the game will go to golden point.

The change follows extensive consultation with the game's stakeholders, including the NRL Competition Committee, the NRL Coaches, the RLPA, the playing group, as well as supporters.

"We engaged all the relevant stakeholders and there was strong support for this change," NRL CEO Todd Greenberg said.

"The stakes are clearly high in Finals Series matches, and especially in the Grand Final, so it makes sense to have a period of extra time prior to golden point.

"There were a number of alternatives considered but the consensus by and large was that the game should introduce extra time in Finals Series matches.

"Not only will it mean a more expansive style of football in the extra time period, it will also be less likely that a team is eliminated in golden point."