Switch to desktop Register Login

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: NRL Conspiracy Theory?

NRL Conspiracy Theory? 4 years 11 months ago #2515

• mutley
  • Thank you received: 200
This is too funny not to share :P

Ran into an old bloke I know earlier tonight & as usual started talking footy. This old bloke is a die-hard Souths supporter & like he normally does when we start talking footy, he tried to convince me that the NRL favours Super League teams & does everything they can to get Super League teams to win almost every year. I laughed it off, like I normally do, saying that Super League was 15 years ago & he should get over it. So he decided to prove his theory to me:

1998 - Broncos v Bulldogs - 2 super league team (OK 1 point to him)
1999 - Storm v Dragons - Storm are Super League & win on a dodgy penalty (I'll give him half a point for that seeing some people still debate it)
2000 - Broncos v Roosters - Super League win again
2001 - Knights v Eels - NRL tried to cover their tracks by having 2 ARL sides in the Grand Final!!!
2002 - Roosters v Warriors - Roosters are owned by the Packers, who have the TV rights, and are therefore a Super League Club (WTF???)
2003 - Panthers v Roosters - Super League win (what about his theory concerning the previous year?)
2004 - Bulldogs v Roosters - Super League win (see above)
2005 (this is good) - Tigers v Cowboys - Wests & Balmain were ARL sides, but they were forced to merge by Super League (WTF???)
2006 - Broncos v Storm - Super League win
2007 - Storm v Manly - Super League win
2008 - Manly v Storm - covering their tracks again!!!
2009 - Storm v Eels - Super League win
2010 - Dragons v Rooster - St George & Illawarra were ARL teams, but were forced to merge by Super League!!!
2011 - Manly v Warriors - covering their tracks again!!!
2012 - Storm v Bulldogs - Super League

Is anyone else convinced by this indisputable evidence? :P
Last Edit: 4 years 11 months ago by mutley.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

NRL Conspiracy Theory? 4 years 11 months ago #2516

• hivnoh holova
  • Celebrating 40 Years as a Penrith tragic !
  • Thank you received: 114
I don't think the NRL is that competent ! Maybe those ARL wins were just mistakes and your friend is right. Souths supporters are entitled to have a grudge after being kicked out.

NRL Conspiracy Theory? 4 years 11 months ago #2517

• mutley
I was surprised he didn't draw a long bow with Manly, saying that they were forced to merge & even though that merger has disolved, they are still Super League!!! (and no I will not be suggesting that to him)
The following user(s) said Thank You   LShunter

NRL Conspiracy Theory? 4 years 10 months ago #2521

• Panther1967
  • Thank you received: 142
For me,I'd love to know in what happened in that long meeting between Penrith and the Super League as I think both the ARL and the Super League didn't want a bar of us.

Maybe Max can enlighten us.

NRL Conspiracy Theory? 4 years 10 months ago #2545

• max cowan
  • Thank you received: 79
Panther1967 wrote:
For me,I'd love to know in what happened in that long meeting between Penrith and the Super League as I think both the ARL and the Super League didn't want a bar of us.

Which long meeting do you want to know about ... there were plenty of them.

It wasn't that they didn't want a bar of us ... but we were just not considered important to either sides plans. We basically prepared a case as to why we are important and decided to sell that story to Super League.

The conspiracy theory described by that Souths guy shows something about the relative strengths - the ARL was Sydney focused and Super League was more national but still had a very strong Sydney base.
The following user(s) said Thank You   mutley

NRL Conspiracy Theory? 4 years 10 months ago #2556

• Puss
  • Thank you received: 254
....."but we were just not considered important to either sides plans" quote

Well how times have changed eh, (GWS). Maybe a better deal this time around?

NRL Conspiracy Theory? 4 years 10 months ago #2571

• max cowan
Don't worry Puss, there were many who thought we were important back then too.

The evidence that I can see suggests that there is about the same support and consumption of the Panthers now as there was in the years leading up to that particular event.

NRL Conspiracy Theory? 4 years 10 months ago #2602

• Nick
  • Thank you received: 8
So essentially the ARL can only win if Souths, Titans, Newcastle or Parramatta win, seeing as St George, Tigers were merged by Super League and the Roosters/Packers thing. Maybe the Titans are Super League because the Chargers were kicked out with full intentions to bring them back as another entity...OMG.
Can we have images in our signature?

NRL Conspiracy Theory? 4 years 10 months ago #2613

• mutley
Souths, Manly, Eels & Knights. It helps that his theory puts 12/16 teams in the Super League category, when in reality only 7 Super League teams are still around.

NRL Conspiracy Theory? 4 years 10 months ago #2615

• Panther1967
max cowan wrote:
Panther1967 wrote:

It wasn't that they didn't want a bar of us ... but we were just not considered important to either sides plans. We basically prepared a case as to why we are important and decided to sell that story to Super League.

The conspiracy theory described by that Souths guy shows something about the relative strengths - the ARL was Sydney focused and Super League was more national but still had a very strong Sydney base.

I read on Wikipedia that about a week after the Super League teams had been signed sealed and delivered,it was about a week later that Penrith had a meeting.

EDIT:
Just found this on Wikipedia:

"...7 Clubs signed to Super League on 20 April: Auckland, Brisbane, Canberra, Canterbury-Bankstown, Cronulla-Sutherland, North Queensland and the Western Reds. Penrith signed on 3 May."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_League_war

Penrith signed just under 2 weeks after the other clubs.

What really bothers me is what you said that we were not important enough to be considered.

I'd like to know in what context.

I mean,Penrith obviously talked turkey with Super League,but how far did we get with the ARL?

NRL Conspiracy Theory? 4 years 10 months ago #2616

• Puss
  • Thank you received: 254
....interesting question Max. Wasn't Gould an AFL aficionado? I bet he tells it different.

NRL Conspiracy Theory? 4 years 10 months ago #2618

• max cowan
Panther1967 wrote:
max cowan wrote:
Panther1967 wrote:

I read on Wikipedia that about a week after the Super League teams had been signed sealed and delivered,it was about a week later that Penrith had a meeting.

EDIT:
Just found this on Wikipedia:

"...7 Clubs signed to Super League on 20 April: Auckland, Brisbane, Canberra, Canterbury-Bankstown, Cronulla-Sutherland, North Queensland and the Western Reds. Penrith signed on 3 May."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_League_war

Penrith signed just under 2 weeks after the other clubs.

What really bothers me is what you said that we were not important enough to be considered.

I'd like to know in what context.

I mean,Penrith obviously talked turkey with Super League,but how far did we get with the ARL?

The context was this ... both sides had their plans, neither side had approached us.

We carefully examined everything we knew about both sides and everything we could find out from them ... we then selected where we thought we would have the best chance of survival and then presented our case to them.

Puss, Gus was a fighter for the ARL. I don't know what he would or could tell differently about the perceptions we had and the decisions we made. He may well say the ARL was interested in Penrith but neither they nor Super League demonstrated that ... until we presented our case.
Last Edit: 4 years 10 months ago by max cowan.
The following user(s) said Thank You   Steve Tidball

NRL Conspiracy Theory? 4 years 10 months ago #2650

• Panther1967
Thank-you Max...

Re:NRL Conspiracy Theory? 3 years 1 month ago #20506

• FanSince1995
  • Thank you received: 13
Well that was very enlightening

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re:NRL Conspiracy Theory? 2 years 3 months ago #22434

• mutley
Just heard from my old mate's son (my former basketball teammate). He's had a mild heart attack on Thursday night, but is doing OK. I'm hoping to visit him over the weekend, although will try not to let him get too worked up about the footy (especially seeing we were the last team to beat his beloved Bunnies :P )

Re:NRL Conspiracy Theory? 1 year 2 months ago #25096

• mutley
Old mate isn't doing too well these days, but it seems he has passed the baton on to a common friend of me & his son, a Sharks supporter this time!!!

According to the Sharkies conspiracy theorist, the NRL wants Hayne to play in the finals, so they engineered a way for him to kick the winning field goal against the Tigers!!! They also don't want Sharks to win, so the Dragons were gifted that game last night too!!!

Now where did I leave my tin foil hat :D

Re:NRL Conspiracy Theory? 2 months 3 weeks ago #26405

• mutley
Vale the original NRL Conspiracy Theorist.

I will miss our often entertaining discussions/arguments over the game.

Re:NRL Conspiracy Theory? 2 months 3 weeks ago #26406

Perhaps Max could enlighten us about Rogers plan for us to merge with the Eels........i was led to believe deal was all but done when he was there. Indeed i am led to believe he didn't want the footy team at all and even considered a basketball franchise to be funded by the club.

On the larger conspiracy theory.......you will note the teams who have had the most success are 1 town teams.......Broncos/Storm/Cowboys and the Roosters have basically continued success through its benefactor Politis.

Re:NRL Conspiracy Theory? 2 months 3 weeks ago #26413

steamboatfarmer wrote:
.....and even considered a basketball franchise to be funded by the club.

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't we own the Sydney Kings for a while? Around the time of Rodney "East side, West side, Family Hill" O or maybe later?