Switch to desktop Register Login

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Luke Lewis

Luke Lewis 4 years 8 months ago #4679

• Panther Dave
  • Thank you received: 73
In todays Telegraph it talks about Luke Lewis saying moving to the Sharks was the best thing he has done in his life. He also seems, to me, to take a shot at Penrith, whilst not directly saying so, he mentioned Michael Jennings and saying that he would flourish now.

When Petero came here, he didn't rubbish the Broncos, and whilst Luke is not doing it, I got the feeling that he was indirectly (if that makes sense)

If someone could find the link to the article, that would be great. Otherwise I will try and find it when I get time.

EDIT: Here's the link (Shunter)

www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/luke...frexnr-1226563745015
Last Edit: 4 years 8 months ago by LShunter.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Luke Lewis 4 years 8 months ago #4681

• Sportz_man1
  • Thank you received: 6
Bloody oath his directing this straight to Penrith. He had no righ to mention MJ. MJ actually loved Penrith more than that muppet Lewis. He does not deserve to live on the same street as Punter.
@ThunderPanthers

Luke Lewis 4 years 8 months ago #4682

• Jagman
  • Out of the darkness we will come!!
  • Thank you received: 150
I think you might being a tad harsh.

"Although he's not keen to reflect on the pain of losing the Panthers captaincy last May...."

"....refuses to look back upon the disappointment of losing Penrith's captaincy to Kevin Kingston."

"I don't really want to talk about it. I'm over it."

He's a professional, and he's moved on, as has Jennings, as should we. Lewis & Jennings were as thick as thieves and both are in "better places now" << oh how I hate that saying, but so are we. If Lewis and Jennings were dissenting voices to the change that Cleary was imposing then they needed to go because we needed change.

I was one of those that waiting to say goodbye to Lewis as the sun set at Centrebet and he let nobody down. He cared for the fans and fought mighty hard for Penrith. It was a marriage that went bad, and because I will never really understand what happened behind closed doors I can only judge him on the field. And he gets a pass on that count.

When players depart we at Penrith seem to have a great ability of forgetting all the good they did at the club. Lewis was not motivated to leave for money, yet most of us live in the hope we can grab JT. Lewis left because he was unhappy here, and he's happy now...so I say good on him.
Life is a lesson that some never learn.
The following user(s) said Thank You   LShunter, Pomoz

Luke Lewis 4 years 8 months ago #4683

• Tylooper
  • Thank you received: 197
Time to move on guys. Luke was a great player for our club but he's just another oppostiion player now. I couldn't give a flying rats backside what is and isn't said.

For the record, Luke has been in the news plenty of times in the past talking about the start of the season and how tight the guys are and how much they are going to play for one another etc. Today's article isn't much different.

Luke Lewis 4 years 8 months ago #4684

• Jagman
  • Out of the darkness we will come!!
  • Thank you received: 150
Sportz_man1 wrote:
MJ actually loved Penrith more than that muppet Lewis.

That statement would make for a interesting poll. I'd be surprised if that was the general consensus.
Life is a lesson that some never learn.

Luke Lewis 4 years 8 months ago #4686

• mutley
  • Thank you received: 200
Sportz_man1 wrote:
Bloody oath his directing this straight to Penrith. He had no righ to mention MJ. MJ actually loved Penrith more than that muppet Lewis. He does not deserve to live on the same street as Punter.
He doesn't deserve to live in the same shire as me :P (He's actually assimilating quite well if he's trashing the western suburbs already :x )

Luke Lewis 4 years 8 months ago #4688

I am glad someone posted that article, because for a player who had EVERYTHING provided to him by the club that fostered his talent, watched him grow from a young buck into a club legend turn his back because he couldn't handle being a leader of men, Luke Lewis has some hide.

What a pathetic snide article to let it further be displayed just how much disdain Luke Lewis actually has for the club and region that gave him EVERYTHING he has in life.

By the time he was 20 he had an Australian Jersey, a NSW Jersey and an NRL premiership all thanks to Penrith and the region and it's support.

Well Luke Lewis, let it forever be known, I was GUTTED when you announced you wanted a release, NOW I can't wait for your first game against Penrith, when you look up into the Black Hole, those were once your fans that thought you were a legend. Now they know you are just misguided and pathetic, as your comments prove.

Luke Lewis 4 years 8 months ago #4689

• Nads J
  • Thank you received: 130
Pantherman1204 wrote:
Well Luke Lewis, let it forever be known, I was GUTTED when you announced you wanted a release, NOW I can't wait for your first game against Penrith, when you look up into the Black Hole, those were once your fans that thought you were a legend. Now they know you are just misguided and pathetic, as your comments prove.

With all due respect Luke did NOT ask for a release, he was Sacked. However it was necessary to present a different story to the public for the sake of club harmony.

I know people will forever accuse me of a variety of things regarding the clown in the manager's chair but the truth is the truth.

we do have to move on but I will not stand by and allow false accusations against our former players stand when it is just not true.

Luke has vowed to return to the club in a non-playing role to pay back for the opportunities he was given. Once Gould is gone of course
The views expressed above are my own. If you find these views offensive please follow the complaints process. Or just skip reading what I post.

follow me @NadsJcarta

Luke Lewis 4 years 8 months ago #4690

I bet that Luke received more than thirty pieces of silver for going to the Shire.

B)

Luke Lewis 4 years 8 months ago #4692

• Puss
  • Thank you received: 254
Pantherman1204 wrote:
I am glad someone posted that article, because for a player who had EVERYTHING provided to him by the club that fostered his talent, watched him grow from a young buck into a club legend turn his back because he couldn't handle being a leader of men, Luke Lewis has some hide.

What a pathetic snide article to let it further be displayed just how much disdain Luke Lewis actually has for the club and region that gave him EVERYTHING he has in life.

By the time he was 20 he had an Australian Jersey, a NSW Jersey and an NRL premiership all thanks to Penrith and the region and it's support.

.....there's a certaim amount of 'tribalism' amongst sporting fans and generally it is in good spirit. The above post dissappoints me no end as there is little appreciation of the efforts Luke put in, the blood spilt, injuries endured etc. I too was gutted upon his release but I ain't gonna grind a genuine club legend into the ground. I'll reserve that for others who have never represented our club and there's plenty of them to go around.

Luke Lewis 4 years 8 months ago #4693

• K J
  • Thank you received: 98
Nads J wrote:
Luke has vowed to return to the club in a non-playing role to pay back for the opportunities he was given. Once Gould is gone of course

Beautiful. Let's hope it's not for 5-10 years then at least, unless of course Gus has laid the foundations much earlier for the next lot of administration to come in and carry on with what he is trying to do.

No one person is bigger than the club. No one.

Luke Lewis 4 years 8 months ago #4694

• Puss
  • Thank you received: 254
.....like Lewis, Gus Gould left the club for like twenty years. Don't see anyone pulling his chain. But then again not even Gus is bigger than the club, is he KJ?

Luke Lewis 4 years 8 months ago #4695

• K J
  • Thank you received: 98
Puss wrote:
.....like Lewis, Gus Gould left the club for like twenty years. Don't see anyone pulling his chain. But then again not even Gus is bigger than the club, is he KJ?

All that has happened in the past is water under the bridge for me, personally. So it doesn't affect me nearly as much as you or those who feel the same way as you do. Did I feel a sense of abandonment when Gus left to join the Roosters? Of course yes, especially being an emotional teenager at the time.

But we move on. Well I have anyway. And the changes brought about by Phil Gould this time round I can make sense of. Absolutely and unequivocally.

And yes, Gus is not bigger than the club. Though you (and others) will argue that he is given his power, but for the first time in a bloody long time this club is moving in a positive direction because he is allowed that power. The irony of it all. Go the Panthers!

Luke Lewis 4 years 8 months ago #4696

• LShunter
  • Thank you received: 73
I'm disappointed that he left, but I know that we haven't got all the facts in this story. I don't hate Luke Lewis, and I'm still grateful for everything he's done for Penrith, it's just shit how our association ended. That being said, I hope we belt our old mates Flash, Lewy and Wade when we hit Shark Park later this year. A couple of Sika/Mose/Plummy specials, PLEASE!
Last Edit: 4 years 8 months ago by LShunter.
The following user(s) said Thank You   mutley, Tylooper

Luke Lewis 4 years 8 months ago #4697

• Sportz_man1
  • Thank you received: 6
Your telling us that Luke will come back to Penrith because he vowed. Are we talking about the same Luke Lewis that vowed to stay at Penrith?
@ThunderPanthers
Last Edit: 4 years 8 months ago by Sportz_man1.

Luke Lewis 4 years 8 months ago #4698

• Tylooper
Nads J wrote:
Pantherman1204 wrote:

With all due respect Luke did NOT ask for a release, he was Sacked. However it was necessary to present a different story to the public for the sake of club harmony.

I know people will forever accuse me of a variety of things regarding the clown in the manager's chair but the truth is the truth.

we do have to move on but I will not stand by and allow false accusations against our former players stand when it is just not true.

I don't think there is a need to accuse you of anything Nads. You have made it abundantly clear that you don't like Gould.

As a person who has sacked a fair few people in my time, I don't ever recall firing anyone without good reason. If that is the case with Luke, perhaps there is a reason that even you aren't privy to. These decisions aren't normally made on the spur of the moment and there is generally just cause.

Anyway, Luke is a Shark and life goes on.

Luke Lewis 4 years 8 months ago #4700

• Panther1967
  • Thank you received: 142
I hope Lewis Gorden,and Jennings all the best at their new clubs and I'll be cheering them on.

I'm not one to hold a grudge...life is far too short.
Last Edit: 4 years 8 months ago by Panther1967.

Luke Lewis 4 years 8 months ago #4701

• Tylooper
Puss wrote:

Puss, I was only 18-19 when the club was in turmoil prior to and after Ben's death but even I heard all the terrible rumours about Gould from those associated with people in the club at the time. I don't blame Gould for one minute in leaving when he did and even for having a level of resentment for a period of time. What I do like is, many fractured relationships with key players that led to Gould leaving have been mended. If Gould and the others can move on with life, I'm sure us fans can too.
The following user(s) said Thank You   Puss

Luke Lewis 4 years 8 months ago #4702

Is it just me missing the point or am I reading too far between the lines - just read the following and judge for yourself -

"So far it's the best thing I've done in my life," Lewis said.

Although he's not keen to reflect on the pain of losing the Panthers captaincy last May, Lewis now feels he's been given a "new lease of life".

"The biggest thing is that I don't want to let anyone here down - my coach, my teammates or the fans."

And remember, Regardless of someone wants to maintain the insider knowledge that Lewis was sacked (for which would be THE BIGGEST STORY in Rugby league in the last 12 months - Club Captain SACKED, which was strangely not reported) Luke Lewis was the appointed CLUB captain last year. Was a premiership winning player and everything he achieved in his career came from the place that HE turned his back on.

Luke Lewis 4 years 8 months ago #4705

The Panthers gave Luke an opportunity, his talent was nurtured. He repaid that talent many times every year until he made Rep teams. The fact is Luke is a tried and tested R/L Test and SOO performer. He has been selected at the rep levels by coaches that know what they are doing eg Bennett, Sheens, Bellamy, Stuart etc. No doubt he toed the line.

"So far it's the best thing I've done in my life," Lewis said. Why is this offensive?

People aspire to change. Change can be good. I moved out of the Golden West when i was young, moved back because i missed the west and my family, moved out again 8 years ago to give my kids better schooling ops. Sydney is a big place, if anyone moved to the beaches and away from the mountains i dare say the change would be stark. If anyone thinks Luke is wrong, to move to what could be deemed a better lifestyle try it yourself for a few weeks especially when it is hot. Just joking, however look at Brandy, Girdler, Freddy. and Carty all Penrith Juniors all living by a beach somewhere else.
Last Edit: 4 years 8 months ago by North Shore Panther.

Luke Lewis 4 years 8 months ago #4732

• Nigel Highley
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 12
Nads J wrote:
Pantherman1204 wrote:

Maybe Nadim can clarify the offence that Luke Lewis committed to get sacked? Then maybe giving his financial expertise explain how the club has spent so much in the recruitment of players for the 2013 season whilst having to pay Luke Lewis close to a million dollars for the final two years of his contract given Nadims truthful scenario.

Had Luke of been sacked it would have been a much bigger media issue. There was always going to be an article like this at some stage this year given the circumstances, you know best move ever made etc and there will be one this year at some stage about Michael Jennings. And I dont believe that Luke will ever return given the lure of the beach.

Maybe Nadim can also provide the source of his truthful scenario as I doubt that he was present for the discussions. But seriously Nadims deep seated dislike of Phil Gould just clouds his judgement.

Luke Lewis 4 years 8 months ago #4739

folks...its time to let it go.
The following user(s) said Thank You   LShunter, roofromoz, Year of the Panther

Luke Lewis 4 years 8 months ago #4774

• roofromoz
  • Camden Panther
  • Thank you received: 30
To me, saying it's the best thing he has done doesn't mean he now dislikes Penrith. He's speaking from his heart and a lot of us have started new jobs, moved somewhere else, etc. and felt exactly the same way.

Anyway, he's moved on, so has the club, and we should too.

If there comes a day where he wants to return to Penrith, either to play out his career (unlikely) or in a non-playing capacity, I for one will bear no grudges whatsoever.
From chocolate soldiers to black magic: www.themightypanthers.com/

Last Edit: 4 years 8 months ago by roofromoz.
The following user(s) said Thank You   LShunter

Luke Lewis 4 years 8 months ago #4778

I thought we already had a farewell for this?Like SAP said everyone should let it go.I'm sure someone with lewis' high profile status will eventually come through the ranks here.It's not the end of the world.The sooner you guys get over it the better for not just you but for everyone.

Luke Lewis 4 years 8 months ago #4791

• Panther1967
  • Thank you received: 142
When Panther fans Sarah Brightman & Andrea Bocelli heard that Lewis was leaving Penrith,they came to Panthers Leagues Club to sing this for Lewie and the others that were leaving.

• Page: