Switch to desktop Register Login

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Missing mods

Missing mods 2 years 5 months ago #22297

• Puss
  • Thank you received: 256
...... Not much happening so don't need the tribe? Couldn't you at least reward reg's like Kev, NSP, Panther Jack, Mr Walker, Tylooper, Pomoz, Shazza even souf with the honours. At least they contribute to the site with posts. If they were to pull up stakes it'd be a drab place indeed. Then again they might invigorate the site with some new ideas.

It's disappointing to have lost the support of those who once graced this site with their presence.
Last Edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Puss.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Missing mods 2 years 5 months ago #22304

• Panther mike
  • Thank you received: 8
Why need new Mods when no one comes on here?

It is disappointing given the amount of Panther fans on LU, that post in there...
Whadddup 

Missing mods 2 years 5 months ago #22305

• Puss
...... Yeah you'd probably right Mike. Wonder what happened to them?

Missing mods 2 years 5 months ago #22306

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 146
I don't see the need for more mods. The active mods on here (mostly mutley and myself) can handle the flow of traffic on here as is. If more traffic comes along, then yes, we will look at the mod situation.

As for the number of people on here, I'm at a loss on why people are not here. What is it that stops people from coming here, I'm more than happy to discuss this. Since the closure of the club forum people went their seperate ways. I addressed the problems people had with the old club forum;

People said the forum was over moderated.... FIXED. Very rarely is something removed from the forum now.
People said that opoions were suppressed..... FIXED. With no club oversight people are free to express their opinions.

Is the site not promoted enough? Maybe, but the site runs on a shoestring budget and runs losses every year, so we can't afford to advertise.
Do people care about forums anymore? Maybe not. I think most prefer Facebook and Twitter these days, but I stand to be corrected.

If you want people to come on here to discuss, there is no harm in telling people about this place.

I do miss the days where servers could barely handle the load of a game day discussion, and 30 to 40 page threads talking and debating about the team, but we don't have the time or resources we once had when the club was bankrolling this venture.

Sponsorship for the site is cheap too.... your not going to find a more focused demographic for $5 a month to advertise. Alas businesses are hard to seperate with even the smallest of funds.

I been doing this since 2005. This will be the 10th year I have been looking over this place, and looking at the traffic and costs of this place, I'm not sure there will be a 2016 for this site to be frankly honest. Participation rates are at it's lowest.

I have decided on not pushing the forum personally on facebook and LU as I wouldn't appreciate it being done on this forum trying to steal traffic (it's been done before).

But I pose this to you.... what do we do? If you have an idea on how to drum up mroe traffic don't keep it to yourself, I'm happy to hear from you all in reagrd to this.

Missing mods 2 years 5 months ago #22307

• Puss
..... Sure there was a time this site was heavily moderated. However the club was only partially responsible for many knee jerk re actions. There were a few heavy handed moderators that made it difficult for some posters that were simply trying to express themselves. Foul language could of been edited, instead whole posts disappeared into cyberspace.

You want people back and sure there's a whole raft of familiar names at LU. Let them express themselves. I can't fathom why they wouldn't support this site, which is one of the few team specific forums in existence, to nest somewhere that caters for all NRL tastes. Jesus we'll even accept their 'dual citizenship' claims.

I still see familiar names logging in, Ross/Bathurst Tom/StrawberryBlonde but they appear muted. Maybe they're sick to death of ole farts like me. Well that's easily fixed!

And those that may have earn't the ire of one S Tidball, their times up. A moratorium, let them back unconditionally.

We still have something they don't ......... souf. There's only one of him and this is where he belongs. Make sure he's got a place to call home.

You need sponsorship @ $5.00 per month/ for 12 months? If that's what it takes to keep the joint firing for 2016, you got it, where do I send it?

...... and since we've been asked, how about you forumites put the thinking cap on and contribute some suggestions that might just generate a revival we'd all like to see, on and off the field.

Missing mods 2 years 5 months ago #22308

• mutley
  • Thank you received: 205
It is sad to see that participation in the forum has fallen so dramatically in recent years. Probably the biggest factor would be that we no longer have the direct access to club staff, and members first announcements that we had prior to separating from the club. Most of this is done on Twitter & Facebook these days, and the discussions that used to happen on the forum are now taking place on those sites.

In the lead up to us separating from the club, I made several attempts to redirect conversations to the forum, with little, if any impact being made. Maybe people don't want to discuss things in more than one location, or maybe they would rather the un-moderated "discussions" that happen on Facebook. I'd only be guessing at the answer there.

I think that realistically, unless we can offer something that Facebook can't, we are going to struggle to get traffic back here again. As Steve said, we have relaxed the moderation of the forum, but without traffic, there is little need for moderation anyway. Outside that, I'm short of ideas at the moment.

As for missing mods... I know that most of the mods I talk to away from the forum visit here regularly & keep an eye on things, even if they don't post. With little moderation (other than removing spammers) needed lately, there hasn't been a lot for them to do anyway.

Missing mods 2 years 5 months ago #22309

• Puss
.... as for the missing mods you speak to Mutley. Herin lies part of the problem. Forget about moderation, they could at least contribute to discussion on this site. If you and Steve can't talk one time entrusted guardians around, we've got little hope of attracting outsiders.

Missing mods 2 years 5 months ago #22311

• panthermike
  • Thank you received: 10
my ignorance but what is LU ?

Re:Missing mods 2 years 5 months ago #22312

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
panthermike wrote:
my ignorance but what is LU ?

League Unlimited forums.

Missing mods 2 years 5 months ago #22313

• panthermike
  • Thank you received: 10
Thanks Steve....I think there are less 'posters' [but not less viewers] because there is so much choice.

Missing mods 2 years 5 months ago #22317

• BathurstTom
  • Thank you received: 35
Maybe another problem that you are not aware of Steve, is that I am getting logged out constantly. If my login lasts for a week it is unusual. I am sometimes logged more than once a day. I know it annoys me, how many others have experienced this problem and just given up?

Tom.
The following user(s) said Thank You   Puss

Missing mods 2 years 5 months ago #22338

• Dufeyz
  • Thank you received: 44
Thanks for the love Puss. :(

Haha, I'm joking. Personally I don't know how to make this place have more traffic. I've been using Reddit recently and that's really good. The sub is /r/NRL. There is a panthers sub reddit but that is even more dead than this site. To be honest, you could just start your own 'pantherpride' sub reddit. That way you won't have any operating costs, no login issues and a platform that is very easy to use.

I don't want to spread the gospel, but it's basically league unlimited without the dickheads, and /r/NRL could definitely use more Panthers supporters.

Missing mods 2 years 5 months ago #22339

In general we seem to have lost some serious posts from the likes of Panther Daz, Big Mick, Panther Pete, Gong Panther, Umina Panther etc. Loved the extra knowledge of the younger guys and differing opinions.

I enjoy this forum as all here do. I considered joining the other forum about a year ago when we had some serious IT issues. i am in no way as smart as Steve and had nothing but issues trying to login but there was possibly a loss of people when the forum went down. That issue aside I think the club has had success on the field and we seem to be more professionally run now and our satisfaction has reflected in posts reducing.

eg A few years ago we had the sacking and subsequent lies spread about Lewis and Jennings. Everyone had an opinion. People were divided between 2 camps the "in Gus we Trust" and he's a liar who will leave Panthers for the 3rd time who speaks with a forked tongue. Simply put Gus has delivered. I will never agree that we needed to recruit Newton, Ciraldo and Armit.. Gus does and believes it gave us respect to recruit Manu, Brown and Taylor. Can anyone imagine people coming here because Ciraldo chose us. Most likely not the challenge but the cash. Who cares Gus has delivered

in 2014 when we finished 4th with a busted team, won the NSW Cup and in 2013 we won U/20's. The future looked so bright and still does. This year despite everyone in first grade being injured at some time (except DWZ) this year Reggies and U/20's are very competitive and first grade is hanging in.. All this satisfaction means less to launch into print about

Missing mods 2 years 5 months ago #22343

I haven't been able to log on for months. I kept trying but it wouldn't do it and didn't know how to contact people to let them know. I tried starting another account but it wouldn't let me. Its only recently its come good so maybe other users have had that problem'

LP

Missing mods 2 years 5 months ago #22344

• TalentScout
  • Thank you received: 82
Lismore Panther wrote:
I tried starting another account but it wouldn't let me.
LP

I've told fellow Panther fans about this forum as well and they too have said they couldn't register??

Missing mods 2 years 5 months ago #22345

• Puss
....... Hmmm a glitch !

Must admit I regularly get the ole '503 Service Unavailable, server is temporarily busy, try again later'.

Can it be there are members out there that can't make contact????

Missing mods 2 years 5 months ago #22346

• BathurstTom
  • Thank you received: 35
Yep, I 've been logged out twice since yesterday...

Tom.

Missing mods 2 years 5 months ago #22347

• Puss
..... anyone tried This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. ? Or how about a pm to Steve ?

Missing mods 2 years 5 months ago #22350

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
BathurstTom wrote:
Yep, I 've been logged out twice since yesterday...

Tom.

Is this after a period of inactivity?

The server is set to log out users who have been inactive for 15 minutes. This is mostly to free up resources on a fairly lean server.

I can set it higher (I will set it to 120 minutes) but could you let me know if these instances stop Tom.

Missing mods 2 years 5 months ago #22351

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
Puss wrote:
....... Hmmm a glitch !

Must admit I regularly get the ole '503 Service Unavailable, server is temporarily busy, try again later'.

Can it be there are members out there that can't make contact????

A 503 Error is usually associated with server downtime. Over the last month the website suffered 118 outages for a total of 4h 57m.

You must be pretty good at picking these up.

Missing mods 2 years 5 months ago #22353

• TalentScout
  • Thank you received: 82
TalentScout wrote:
Lismore Panther wrote:
I tried starting another account but it wouldn't let me.
LP

I've told fellow Panther fans about this forum as well and they too have said they couldn't register??

I asked 1 of the guys who tried, to find out the problem.. He said it wasn't giving him a "captcha".. So I checked it out myself and the captcha part is weird..
It took me a few turns to work it out. I didn't think it was appearing so I refreshed the page a few times.. :dry:
You have to check a box for it to appear.
Simple I know, but, some get easily frustrated and impatient when it comes to technology. :whistle:

Missing mods 2 years 5 months ago #22355

• Kevin
  • Panthers Hate Parra
  • Thank you received: 186
My circumstances changed recently, made redundant on the 22nd, probably the last time I posted :( but I will not be lost to this place, albeit minimal activity until I find a new job and ensure I can "work from work" again :whistle:

Anyway, to the point at hand Steve, weren't you going to message every contact you have in the directory to advise them of the new "open" forum?

I have also had issues logging in, the 503 error IMO appears when someone else is posting at the same time, can this be a possibility Steve? Quite often (I used to post alot ha haaa) I would get booted only to log back in to find a new post in the thread before mine, i.e. my post should have been after say Puss but now Mutley has a post that I hadn't read, but has been posted before mine......... :blink: I know right.

I agree about the oldies still coming on here, 1 thing I used to check when I logged on was to see who was also logged on, I would also do this just before logging off. Plenty of people being on the site who don't post for whatever reason. Also, logging off maybe the reason I didn't get the continuous errors, but I worked out that when I haven't logged in for a few days, maybe a week, I would have to resign in, it's a pain but not the most inconvenient thing I have ever done.

Good to see some positive chat though, in saying that you must admit Steve, even you have been very quiet on here. I personally think some people cannot cope with a varied opinion, you get alot of angst when someone doesn't agree with a comment, I consider it good banter, others simply take it personally and that is bad. I think that is why SAP is so important around this place, his 1 liners although posted against a comment are generalized and create conversation, funny prick if you ask me :P

Anyway, people don't like reading a mountain of content so I will end this post here :pinch:

Edit : Logged in right now - choc soldier, Rangatang, box571 & fieldsy10 - can you guys explain why you don't post?
Last Edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Kevin.

Missing mods 2 years 5 months ago #22359

• Panther mike
  • Thank you received: 8
I agree if this forum was swamped with traffic and opinion, it would be a breath of fresh air compared to the old forum. It was so over moderated it became painful. Plus i spent more time suspended than being able to post :whistle:

I do believe social media has killed the likes of this forum, back in the day Panthers were one of the only clubs with a fan/club run forum. Now forums are popping up all over the place as well as social media groups on facebook.

I don't see any harm in promoting the forum on facebook or twitter etc.
Whadddup 

Missing mods 2 years 5 months ago #22364

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
Kevin wrote:
Anyway, to the point at hand Steve, weren't you going to message every contact you have in the directory to advise them of the new "open" forum?

Yes I did say that, and I did do that.

Inactivity emails do go out, but many people don't read them, they go to junk, or the email address doesn't exist any more.

Kevin wrote:
Good to see some positive chat though, in saying that you must admit Steve, even you have been very quiet on here.

Much like you Kev, my situation has changed as well, not in the same way as you, but in a way that does prevent me being as active as I once were. That being said, I do come on here at least 3 times a week to update the site and put up the new Game Day material, so I am still around.

Missing mods 2 years 5 months ago #22366

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
TalentScout wrote:
I asked 1 of the guys who tried, to find out the problem.. He said it wasn't giving him a "captcha".. So I checked it out myself and the captcha part is weird..

It took me a few turns to work it out. I didn't think it was appearing so I refreshed the page a few times.. :dry:
You have to check a box for it to appear.

Simple I know, but, some get easily frustrated and impatient when it comes to technology. :whistle:

Yeah, I know how you feel, CAPTCHAs annoy me too. I have many a time got one wrong only to have to enter it 4 or 6 times.

Sadly it is a neccessary evil, as it does a reasonable job of keeping spam accounts from flooding the site.

Recently I had noticed it wasn't showing up at all, this was due to the reCAPTCHA platfrom changing without notice, I have updated it and now instead of reciting a bunch of garbled letters, it is a simple checkbox to continue. Hopefully this should make the registration process easier.

If you are a robot though... please don't tick the box. ;)
  • Page: