Josh Mansour [source]

CONTRACT EXPIRES END OF SEASON 2022

Dean Whare [source]

DEPARTED

Andrew Heffernan (Hull Kingston Rovers)
Zach Dockar-Clay (Hull Kingston Rovers)
Malakai Watene-Zelezniak (Wests Tigers)
Peta Hiku (Warrington Wolves)
Te Maire Martin (North Queensland Cowboys)
Samisoni Langi (Released)
Michael Oldfield (Canberra Raiders)

[Last Updated 02/07/2017]
Last Edit: 3 months 2 weeks ago by Steve Tidball.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Panthers Contract Thread 1 year 11 months ago #23198

• mutley
  • Thank you received: 200
DWZ extends to end of 2017
Nathan Cleary extends to end of 2018

Panthers Contract Thread 1 year 11 months ago #23202

• shazza
  • Thank you received: 161
That's great news regarding young Cleary, he's the best halfback prospect in the club. Does the extension include a "get-out clause" if Ivan goes to another club?
Shazza

Panthers Contract Thread 1 year 11 months ago #23205

• mutley
Apparently he wanted to stay because Ivan was shafted. He wants to carve out his own career without the pressure of being "the coach's son".

Panthers Contract Thread 1 year 11 months ago #23211

• shazza
I assume you meant despite, not "because"? It'd be a bit weird if he wanted to stay "because" his old man got shafted.
I absolutely take your point though, playing under and making your own way with your father at the helm can't be easy and good on him for sticking loyal to the club despite the ructions in the coaching ranks.

Shazza

I'm not disagreeing with you though Mutley, I'm ever mindful of that ax.

Panthers Contract Thread 1 year 11 months ago #23212

• Kevin
  • Panthers Hate Parra
  • Thank you received: 183
The boy is becoming a man!

Panthers Contract Thread 1 year 11 months ago #23217

• mutley
Because, not despite. He was apparently already looking elsewhere before the coaching saga.

Panthers Contract Thread 1 year 11 months ago #23218

• BUDAH
  • Thank you received: 39
t.co/sqCW43Df5H
Tyrone May was a major reason for the success of the Holden Cup team this year,often under hyped but his numbers prove to differ.
He led the team in both attack and defence,equal 1st in try's,1st in try assists,1st in tackles made by more than 300 to 2nd best tackler,1st in line breaks,1st in line break assists,1st in support play & 1st in decoys.
And having played at 1,4,6,9,12 & 13.
A complete player who has dominated in both attack & defence.Not sure how long he is contracted but he is definitely one to secure long term,great to see him get some recognition.

Panthers Contract Thread 1 year 11 months ago #23219

• shazza
I note at the top of the page that neither Tyrone May or Corey Harawirra appear in the contracted players column? Is this just an oversight or a scary reality? The two players a pretty much interchangeable and both are outstanding prospects. The biggest problem will be finding a spot for them, both are, to certain extent, the victim of their own versatility. I'm a big fan of both.

Shazza

Panthers Contract Thread 1 year 11 months ago #23220

• shazza
Who'd like to put their hand up to select 10 forwards, to kick off the season, out of this lot.
I'm beginning to think the hardest job next year is going to be selector.
There are going to be a lot of disappointed aspirants.

Hookers:
James Segeyaro
Soni Luke
Sione Katoa (20’s G.F.)
Zac Docker-Jones (Junior Kiwi’s captain)

Props:
Sam McKendry
Regan Campbell-Gillard
Jeremy Latimore
Leilani Latu
Moses Leota (19)
Sauia Matagi
Viliame Kikay (21)
Oliver Clark (19)

Second Row:
Chris Grevsmuhl
Bryce Cartwright
Isiah Yeo
Ben Garcia
Tyrone Peachey
Trent Merrin
Chris Smith

Lock:
Elijah Taylor
Tyrone May (19)
Corey Harrawira

Shazza

Panthers Contract Thread 1 year 11 months ago #23221

• Kevin
  • Panthers Hate Parra
To start the year, you have to think the proven would be selected first. In saying that, pre season may have a massive bearing on selections.

Also, will Merrin play in the middle or on an edge?

Chiko
Big Mac
RCG / Merrin
Merrin / Latu
Carty
Taylor

Latu / RCG
Latimore
Peachey
take your pick with Yeo probably getting the nod if he's not in the centres :blink:

Panthers Contract Thread 1 year 10 months ago #23222

• shazza
For those struggling to put a list together, you can scratch Viliame Kikay from your prospective team , he's in a moon-boot recovering from an ankle operation and I'd say very unlikely to be ready for the first round. He's a massive unit and the fact that he was named 20's Player of the Year suggests he will be a great pickup despite an interrupted start to the season. Sauia Matagi appears to be a very likely customer. He looks as hard as nails and is built like the proverbial brick outhouse. If he plays as enthusiastically as he trains, he'll definitely be putting his hand up for a first grade spot. Cartwright, Moylan and Wallace all look healthy and ready to go back to work.

Shazza
The following user(s) said Thank You   mutley, Pomoz

Panthers Contract Thread 1 year 10 months ago #23223

• ACTPanthers
  • Thank you received: 93
shazza wrote:
Who'd like to put their hand up to select 10 forwards, to kick off the season, out of this lot.
I'm beginning to think the hardest job next year is going to be selector.
There are going to be a lot of disappointed aspirants.

Hookers:
James Segeyaro
Soni Luke
Sione Katoa (20’s G.F.)
Zac Docker-Jones (Junior Kiwi’s captain)

Props:
Sam McKendry
Regan Campbell-Gillard
Jeremy Latimore
Leilani Latu
Moses Leota (19)
Sauia Matagi
Viliame Kikay (21)
Oliver Clark (19)

Second Row:
Chris Grevsmuhl
Bryce Cartwright
Isiah Yeo
Ben Garcia
Tyrone Peachey
Trent Merrin
Chris Smith

Lock:
Elijah Taylor
Tyrone May (19)
Corey Harrawira

Shazza

Grevsmuhl doesn't get here until 2017 right?
ACT Penrith Panthers Fans Group
Twitter - @ACTPanthers
FaceBook - ACT Penrith Panthers Fans
And, if you would like to contact me directly please email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Panthers Contract Thread 1 year 10 months ago #23224

• mutley
At this stage Grevsmuhl won't be here until 2017, but apparently Gus is trying to get him here a year early.

Panthers Contract Thread 1 year 10 months ago #23225

• shazza
I saw the 2017 starting date for Grevsmuhl and just assumed it was a typo. Who signs 2 years out and expects to get a first-grade run in the meantime? I guess Grevsmuhl does. Does this mean the Rabitohs salary cap problems, the only reason he was shown the door, only cut in year after next? If this ridiculous hype about us making a play for Hayne has any legs, we might have salary cap issues of our own to negotiate. Hopefully that's all it is, hype!

shazza

Panthers Contract Thread 1 year 10 months ago #23241

• shazza
What is it with Phil Gould's mania for imported product. It seems just about every time a competent player comes on the market Panthers put their hand up as a contender for his services. Hayne, Grevsmuhl, whoever Easts is letting go this week, McQueen, the list goes on.
Now we are apparently in the race for Bulldogs centre Tim Lafai. ENOUGH!!!

We have finished at or near the top of both feeder competitions in the past two seasons, we have the greatest number and the strongest depth of juniors in the NRL and yet we have this mania for looking everywhere but our own backyard for the next generation of first graders.

DWZ, Will Smith, both Jennings boys and Waqa Blake are training their rings out and fighting tooth and nail for a crack at partnering Dean Whare in the centres next season, what goes through their mind when they pick up the morning paper and read "Panthers ready to grab Lafai".?

I know what I'd be thinking, "I'm outta here".

Shazza

Panthers Contract Thread 1 year 10 months ago #23242

• ACTPanthers
shazza wrote:
What is it with Phil Gould's mania for imported product. It seems just about every time a competent player comes on the market Panthers put their hand up as a contender for his services. Hayne, Grevsmuhl, whoever Easts is letting go this week, McQueen, the list goes on.
Now we are apparently in the race for Bulldogs centre Tim Lafai. ENOUGH!!!

We have finished at or near the top of both feeder competitions in the past two seasons, we have the greatest number and the strongest depth of juniors in the NRL and yet we have this mania for looking everywhere but our own backyard for the next generation of first graders.

DWZ, Will Smith, both Jennings boys and Waqa Blake are training their rings out and fighting tooth and nail for a crack at partnering Dean Whare in the centres next season, what goes through their mind when they pick up the morning paper and read "Panthers ready to grab Lafai".?

I know what I'd be thinking, "I'm outta here".

Shazza

I'd hope it was along the lines of "Well, I guess we'll have to play ridiculously good to EARN my spot"

My guess would be that staff think some of these guys might not be quite ready for a full time FG spot
Twitter - @ACTPanthers
And, if you would like to contact me directly please email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Panthers Contract Thread 1 year 10 months ago #23243

• Panther Jack
  • It's bad luck i swear.
  • Thank you received: 108
While the Panthers are also keen on former Canterbury centre turned free-agent Tim Lafai, foxsports.com.au can reveal the Panthers have tabled Hiku a three-year-deal which would tie him to the foot of the mountains until the end of 2018.

www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership...m_source=twitterfeed

Another centre being linked with us, the staff obviously wants a more completed team in the hopes of winning a premiership now, rather than continue with the trend of constant re-building.

Like ACTPanthers, if said players are upset with this, there's one solution to this.Play better in first grade.

If not, we'll get a better player and a better team because of it.We're not going to play you just because you were developed here and you have a 'bright future'.

Potentially Hiku, and Grevsmuhl granted Souths let us get him a year early, coming to the team for 2016.

Bring it.

Panthers Contract Thread 1 year 10 months ago #23244

• Kevin
  • Panthers Hate Parra
Is it "here say" or "he say" :huh:

Panthers Contract Thread 1 year 10 months ago #23245

• ACTPanthers
Hiku isn't good enough to push out a youngster who is pushing hard for a spot so I'd be ok with that - What I wouldn't want is for him to hold back a younger guy just because he has more experience in the top grade - Hiku is solid, not a world beater and won't win games from brilliance.
Twitter - @ACTPanthers

Panthers Contract Thread 1 year 10 months ago #23246

• Darren
  • Thank you received: 13
Gus should be trying to sign Lafai not Hiku.Tim Lafai has much more of the dark side in him. :lol:
Good....Good let the butthurt flow through you.
Last Edit: 1 year 10 months ago by Darren.

Panthers Contract Thread 1 year 10 months ago #23247

• ACTPanthers
Darren wrote:
Gus should be trying to sign Lafai not Hiku.Tim Lafai has much more of the dark side in him. :lol:

Reports all over twitter at the moment that we have offered Hiku $1.3M over 3 years and a car
Twitter - @ACTPanthers
Last Edit: 1 year 10 months ago by ACTPanthers.

Panthers Contract Thread 1 year 10 months ago #23248

• Dufeyz
  • Thank you received: 44
Are you serious? I'm not sure he's worth that much. And I also don't think a 3 year deal is good for us. With Blake and Rennings coming through it's very possible that we would either have to pay Hiku to play somewhere else, or let Blake or Rennings or both go.

Panthers Contract Thread 1 year 10 months ago #23249

• Rabbit
  • Thank you received: 60
James Roberts just got out of his contract with the Titans 3 years $900,000. Apparently he pulled the pin because he wants to be back in Sydney. And obviously he can get more money after being named center of the year.
His performances for us weren't all that inspiring - he kept dropping the ball. He had no timing - I bagged him on this forum at the time.
I watched most of the Titans games last year and without Roberts they definitely would of got the wooden spoon, I mean %100. He pulled that many games out of the fire on his own, no back line plays to get him in space. He just shredded the defenses. Better in the centers than on the wing.
Of course we have Gus. And he doesn't suffer trouble makers, but we did take Idris who was always going to be a handful. From what I read when we released him - he wasn't a trouble maker within the club, he just had nightclub issues, like Carney. And remember at the time Gus being sympathetic, unlike when we released Jennings and Lewis.
Personally I think he is worth the risk but that is just me, we need a center. Moylan to Roberts - Yeah Baby.

Panthers Contract Thread 1 year 10 months ago #23250

• shazza
Gould said at the meet and greet the other day that the only position we were a bit light on, going into next season, is in the front row. Can someone remind me how many props we've expressed interest in in recent days?
DWZ played virtually all his junior football in the centres and made a great fist of the position when given the opportunity to play there this season. He'd be more than happy to make the position his own. If anyone thinks there's a better prospect being shown the door by another club, I'd like to here about him.

$1.3M would top up a lot of contracts at the end of 2016 and believe me there are going to be a lot of contracts needing an upgrade.

Shazza
Last Edit: 1 year 10 months ago by shazza. Reason: spelling