Switch to desktop Register Login

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: NRL history books beckon for Nathan Cleary

NRL history books beckon for Nathan Cleary 2 months 4 weeks ago #26386

• mutley
  • Thank you received: 200
NRL history books beckon for Penrith's Nathan Cleary

Steaming towards 200 individual points in his first full season in the NRL, Panthers prodigy Nathan Cleary is poised for several history-making achievements in the run to the finals.

The 19-year-old halfback, who surged to the top of the season’s point scoring list last weekend following his 22-point haul against the Warriors, will become the youngest player in 104 years to finish as the season’s leading scorer if he maintains his lead.

And Cleary is also on track to become the youngest player in the history of the premiership to score 200 points in a season. With seven games to play before the finals, Cleary sits on 156 points, leaving him with little more than six points per game to reach the landmark total.

The record for the youngest player to score 200 points is currently held by former Manly fullback Graham Eadie, who was 20 when he compiled 216 points for the Sea Eagles in 1974.

If the talented halfback finishes as the NRL’s leading point scorer he will be the youngest to do so since legendary winger Harold Horder in 1913. That year Horder, who was also 19, led the field with the modest tally of 65 points (13 tries and 13 goals) from 12 games for South Sydney.

Cleary shot to a 22-point lead at the top of the point scorers list last weekend when previous co-leaders Clint Gutherson (Parramatta) and Michael Gordon (Sydney Roosters) had byes.

Gordon, who suffered a pectoral muscle injury in the Roosters’ Round 18 win over South Sydney, appears out of the running for top scorer honours, leaving Parramatta’s Gutherson (134), Brisbane’s Jordan Kahu (128) and St George Illawarra’s Gareth Widdop (127) as Cleary’s major challengers.

Touted as a long-term New South Wales No. 7, Cleary already has several rare achievements on his resume. Last year he became the first Penrith player to score 100 points in his debut season and the first player to reach a century of points at NRL and NYC levels in the same calendar year.

Cleary is in exceptional form as a goalkicker, achieving a strike rate of 91 per cent this season. He has succeeded with 22 of his past 23 attempts at goal.

Apart from the point scoring possibilities, another significant challenge looms for the young Panther in two weeks when he will line up against the Wests Tigers, coached by his father Ivan. It will be an occasion that shapes as another first at premiership level; the first time an individual has played against a team coached by his father.

At his current rate of progress, it won’t be the last ‘first’ that young Cleary will chalk up in his burgeoning career.

Read more at wwos.nine.com.au/2017/07/18/12/10/nrl-na...#lYmdr7WOGpWlljuB.99
Last Edit: 2 months 4 weeks ago by mutley.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

NRL history books beckon for Nathan Cleary 2 months 3 weeks ago #26404

If i was the person in charge at Panthers of negotiating contracts....i would offer Cleary a 10 year contract.

I would even allow for more upside for him if certain benchmarks were achieved but wouldn't hesitate to make him the first 10 year contract for a Panther player......and i would offer him $1m a season over 10 years.

A world class halfback doesn't come along everyday and Panthers need to lock this kid up ala the Tamalolou deal Cowboys gave him.

And the KPI's would also include criteria which would mean he has to achieve certain benchmarks to get the $1m plus extra incentives if we win a comp etc.

The clear objective is to lock him up........a 10 year deal takes him to 30........one can only salivate at the future for this kid in Panthers colours........i believe he will go onto SOO and Country honours.

NRL history books beckon for Nathan Cleary 2 months 3 weeks ago #26415

• Puss
  • Thank you received: 254
10 years is a hell of a long time in the life of a professional athlete
let alone rugby league. It's a hell of a long time in the life of a fan,
especially a Panther fan. Bloody hell that's 2 five year plans.

Maybe that's why we don't see too many (10 yr contracts)if any.
Let's debate this a little later sbf, what say 10 or so years. I'll be
sure to pass on the contact details of my nursing home. ;)
Last Edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by Puss.

NRL history books beckon for Nathan Cleary 2 months 2 weeks ago #26433

its funny Gould is warming to the task of signing this kid to a long term deal and imo i wouldn't hesitate but i might have been a little too hard simply talking about him as a player.

I believe Panthers should break new ground with this kid........he is 19 and sure the upside is unlimited if his growth as a player continues but i would argue for him to build in some commitment from the club to be educated in say Business Management/Communications or what other professional pursuit he might prefer so there is something there after football.

All to often we see players who gave it their all for respective clubs fall on hard times ro find it difficult to succeed in the real world once their career is over.

Panthers have an opportunity with Cleary to set a framework not only for Cleary but other talented young kids who might and will play for Panthers.

We have a centre for excellence which turns out clones of super fit kids.....what about a centre of excellence at Panthers which turns out highly educated individuals for a career after football.

Lastly on Cleary.......the 10 year plan suits Gould fine......this 5 year plan nonsense all happens too quickly and he is found out......imagine having the luxury of avoiding scrutiny for 10 years?

NRL history books beckon for Nathan Cleary 2 months 5 days ago #26464

• Ross
  • Thank you received: 353
The obvious response would be to highlight that all Panthers Holden Cup players are bound by the rule - if you don't work and or continue to study then you don't play.

As for Nathan Cleary he is currently studying for his Bachelor of Arts degree (Secondary Teaching).
"To be a Penrith Panther is an honour. A privilege ... we don't just let any bastard in." - Dave Applebee
The following user(s) said Thank You   Puss