Panther Pride

Switch to desktop Register Login

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Panthers V Bulldogs

Panthers V Bulldogs 2 months 3 weeks ago #26402

This game has plenty of twists........a short turn around for the Panthers..........trouble at Bulldogs with Reynolds under investigation for a late night incident and Hasler is facing the Bulldogs board this week in what some are saying could be a please explain and tell us why we don't sack you meeting.

Add to this drama we have Panthers who must win to be any chance with the Bulldogs also a chance but would need everything to fall their way mathematically but like the Panthers.........a win is all that matters.

Sprinkle a little selection and possible injury concerns with Panthers and all adds up to an intriguing contest.

In my view we should win this but ONLY if Moylan doesn't play.......Cleary needs to drive this team.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Panthers V Bulldogs 2 months 3 weeks ago #26407

did the coach finally get it?

Moylan out with May at 6

Panthers: 1. Dylan Edwards 2. Josh Mansour 3. Tyrone Peachey 4. Waqa Blake 5. Dallin Watene Zelezniak 6. Tyrone May 7. Nathan Cleary 8. James Tamou 9. Peter Wallace 10. Reagan Campbell-Gillard 11. Corey Harawira-Naera 12. Isaah Yeo 13. Moses Leota. Interchange: 14. Sione Katoa 15. Leilani Latu 16. Tim Browne 17. James Fisher-Harris 18. Bryce Cartwright 19. Dean Whare 20. Viliame Kikau 21. Sitaleki Akauola
Matt Moylan (hamstring) is out, replaced by Tyrone May at five-eighth. Bryce Cartwright (knee) and Dean Whare (broken jaw) are included in the reserves.
Ins: Bryce Cartwright, Dean Whare, Sitaleki Akauola, Tyrone May, Viliame Kikau

Panthers V Bulldogs 2 months 3 weeks ago #26408

• Puss
  • Thank you received: 254
Moylan is too talented a footballer to cast aside.
If fit shld be in the side @ 5/8. Sure coach needs
to work on cohesion/teamwork, 4 mine, Cleary &
Moylan are the halves, who together move this
side to the heights we crave. Their games
complement each other.

"did the coach finally get it"
He 's got it just don't put it all together consistently,
bit like the players, refs, press, commentators, NRL
and forumites !

Panthers V Bulldogs 2 months 3 weeks ago #26409

I have no issues with Moylan's talent and abilities.....that is plainly obvious.

What is not obvious its not the MOYLAN Panthers.....he is part of a larger team and i believe he just doesn't get it and some time watching the first might get his attention
And on Griffin......i don't think he has a clue...plain and simple and shouldn't be anywhere near a first grade side

But like some at Panthers..........until Gould goes, we have him.

I guess us pushing to be in the 8 is a testament to Griffin's coaching........or his failure to have any game plan.....and game management and indeed his complete inability to improve this squad.

I am keen to see May and Cleary have another hit out and see how our game changes on Thursday

I could be wildly wrong re Cleary,May and even Moylan but at least i am prepared to consider options to improve the side.

Moylan didn't think too much of Griffin by his own actions earlier this year......did he?

Panthers V Bulldogs 2 months 3 weeks ago #26410

• Panther Jack
  • It's bad luck i swear.
  • Thank you received: 108
We're getting Ben Cummins.

Moylan playing or not, we're not going to win.

Panthers V Bulldogs 2 months 3 weeks ago #26411

• mutley
  • Thank you received: 200
I spoke to Moylan after the game last week, he said he just had some hamstring tightness, so we was rested as a precaution, but was confident of playing this week. I'm guessing he was given another rest, due to the short turnaround & with this being a relatively easy game compared to what we have in the last few weeks of the regular season.

Panthers V Bulldogs 2 months 3 weeks ago #26412

• Rabbit
  • Thank you received: 60
I am as guilty as anyone at the moment of comparing Cleary to Moylan, but you can't compare last week's effort at the back end of the game to the front end of the game as the Panthers have been so poor in the first half in nearly every game. Cleary did have a great end to the game, but Moylan's second halves against Canberra and the Warriors were astonishing!
The guy (Moylan) has one us that many matches it's not funny clearly our best footballer.

Last week as per usual we gave away silly penalties and made stupid errors and this had nothing to do with Moylan, in fact he is about the only guy that never puts a foot wrong in the error department. I admit he should kick more and not move the ball laterally in the Red Zone. But if you look at last week's first half Tamou, Yeo and CHN all gave away ruck penalties and Peachey CHN and JFH all dropped balls they should have caught. We have done this all year.
If Cleary takes control at the beginning of the games I would hope it just means a lot more kicking into the goal which should cut down our errors on the last couple of tackles.
If we have a good start to the Bulldogs match I don't necessarily think that it's all about Cleary it will be because they finally pulled their heads in and cut out the stupid errors.
The following user(s) said Thank You   mutley

Panthers V Bulldogs 2 months 3 weeks ago #26417

• Puss
.... scintillating attack from the Cleary led Panthers steamboat.
I'm struggling to stay awake. 8 a piece at the break, I'd rather
watch Moylan stuff up a miracle play. :blink:

Panthers V Bulldogs 2 months 3 weeks ago #26422

Rofl

Panthers V Bulldogs 2 months 3 weeks ago #26423

i agree our attack was odd.......but Dogs have nothing and were too close all game.

What is with dying with the ball on last tackle...not once but twice?

Mid field bombs and we rolled one in goal got a repeat set and they went for short kick off and get it back......like who doesn't know that is a Doggie play?

DWZ dropped ball.....we had some penalties against us which were dubious.......in short we never got into any rhythm which would have been the Dogs plan.

The bright spots......Edwards is growing in the role every game.......May was strong and fir the first time this year Tamou had a good game but RCG is our forward leader...just awesome

Cleary was quiet and even his kicks for goal were off but they hit him with everything and might have unsettled him....he will learn from that and it was good to cop that now because if we make the 8..those teams will target him.

It was a win and a real grind at times as we ket it very tight in the forwards........and to his credit Carty was good.

What happened to JFH?

And shame about Latu with his jaw and on Moylan........there was no chaos or frantic football last night and still like to see May and Cleary go around 1 more time against Tigers
Last Edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by steamboatfarmer.

Panthers V Bulldogs 2 months 2 weeks ago #26424

• shazza
  • Thank you received: 161
Well, it was a win, that’s about the most positive thing I can say about last night’s game, although to be fair, the Bulldogs, with their season well and truly on the line, made it obvious from the get go that there’d be no prisoners taken in this do or die battle for premiership relevance. The early exchanges were brutal and Brown, against his old club and starting for the second time this season, was front and center in the battle of the big men. Tamou pounded out a power packed 183 meters and topped 30 tackles. All the forwards put in but blotted their copybooks with an alarming lack of ball security. We were an 18 point better side than Canterbury in the first half but every time we looked like building momentum, someone would have a brain explosion and drop the ball or fumble it in the play the ball. Stand-in captain Peter Wallace did well to hide his frustration at the lack of concentration and made the best of a bad situation by tackling himself (52, no misses) to another Man of the Match performance.

The fact that we’re still not playing a cohesive, well-structured, free flowing style of football yet still winning suggests we’ve definitely got the cattle to get to the rail head at the Olympic Stadium, it’s just a matter of rounding them up and getting them all heading in the same direction. Right now, no-one seems to have a clear idea where we want to go or how to get there.

DWZ, despite a smart try (and 156 meters), had the game from hell with his handling letting him down seemingly every other touch. Counterpoint to the shocker had by Dallin, Josh Mansour (6 tackle breaks) bounced back to his absolute best bullocking form with big meters, in heavy traffic, all over the field.

As expected, Cleary was targeted at every opportunity and it was a credit to him that despite the added attention he still managed to have quite a strong game. We knew before the game started that Cleary would be the center of attention, which makes the selection of another youngster in Tyrone May to partner him all the more curious. Phil Gould banged on infinitum about why Te Maire Martin wasn’t a good fit with Cleary (because of inexperience). We brought Darren Nicholls (26) down from Qld. Cup for the expressed purpose of giving us some experienced cover in the halves and yet when the circumstance arises where he could do a real job for us, the selectors choose to promote a rooky? It’s not like Nicholls isn’t performing, he’s been near Man of the Match in nearly every game he’s played in the last couple of months and in a team that’s in form and surging up the competition ladder. He’s a prolific point scorer, with a good football brain. He’s got a great passing (and running) game, he’s a tough strong defender and most importantly has a pin point accurate kicking game. There might be better ways of taking some pressure off young Cleary, than including another genuine organizer and strategic kicker in the side, but I can’t think of any.

Young Dylan Edwards continued his recent good form with another wholehearted display of aggressive running bagging an impressive 229 meters from 24 carries. His performance under the high-ball was faultless, his cleaning up at the back and his defence, was impeccable. Despite taking a few heavy knocks he continued to put himself in the thick of the action.

Waqa Blake impressed again with his aggressive running, but also had a few handling issues (no news there). Peach bounced back to something approaching his old inimitable self and capped off his return to form with a sharp try off his own kick. Regan Campbell-Gillard (who came on after 20 minutes) was probably the best forward on the ground which is high praise considering he was sharing the stage with three State of Origen players and a Pommy International.

Cartwright’s return to First Grade was positive on all fronts. His much maligned defence was put to the test by the big Bulldogs forwards and he came through the ordeal with flying colours. His front on defence was rock solid. He wasn’t given long minutes and he didn’t try to do too much but what he did was certainly encouraging and left little doubt he’ll be a force to be reckoned with in the weeks ahead. The best thing is he’s got his confidence back and actually looks like he’s enjoying himself.

West Tigers next Sunday week, that’s the last of the "easybeats", from there on in, winning gets a whole lot harder.

Shazza
Last Edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by shazza. Reason: correction

Panthers V Bulldogs 2 months 2 weeks ago #26425

• shazza
  • Thank you received: 161
My comments on Darren Nicholls was certainly not meant as a criticism of Tyrone May, he's a terrific young footballer, who had a strong game last night, but is a victim of his own versatility. I think the only position he hasn't played since he debuted with the Under 20's three or four years ago, is prop. I'm pretty sure he'll be in the Panthers system for many seasons to come but as talented as he is, he's not the 2nd best 5/8 in the club, I don't think he's even in the top three.

Potentially, the best 5/8 in the club is the reserve grade fullback, quick silver Jarome Luai, who's a wonderful talent coming through. Not overly big in stature but huge in ability, he's got all the attributes you'd want in an attacking 5/8. He's a good organizer with vision and an ability to count. He's also blessed with silky hands and a good kicking game. He's got that greatest of gifts that all players dream of but few are lucky enough to have in abundance, blinding speed. He's a beauty, keeping him is going to be the challenge.

Shazza

Panthers V Bulldogs 2 months 2 weeks ago #26426

• Puss
..... shazza, I luv your passion and belief but be very wary around these parts.
"you gonna build me up, just to tear me down" Ian Moss.

We ALL need to support whoever's selected in our colours, despite our personal
opinion & positional preferences, but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves.
Last Edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by Puss.

Panthers V Bulldogs 2 months 2 weeks ago #26427

• Rabbit
  • Thank you received: 60
I am sure everyone on Thursday were yelling = carry the ball the way you're supposed to DWZ. = I don't mind a bit of Flair, but after your first dropped ball, you're going to tuck it in!! And after making four errors he was still dangling the ball away from his body. The dogs were ready to crumble but he just kept dropping it. I don't really mind if he makes an error this weekend but if he goes out and he's dangling the ball again I'll be spewing at the coaching staff. Because he should get a rocket. If you can pull it off holding it that way fine, but he couldn't so back to the under Tens.

Anasta's, Commentating still p***ing me off, clearly going for the dogs.

I love how May pushes the forwards in the back after contact, they get way more post contact metres and they also land on their belly. It made a big difference to those hit ups.

On the Ref's - Our sport is based on, you get it for 6, we get it for 6 and so on. The amount of times in this match when the refs didn't see what happened late in the count but decided to give Canterbury a repeat set was Joke! The Blake incident in goal you couldn't tell if he touched it and it was Canterbury's last tackle, if you don't know just give it to the opposition and let them have their 6. = That happened 2 more times against Penrith where the refs had a team meeting on an incident on the last tackle, then ruled penalty against Penrith when they didn't know what actually happened, if you don't know, just let the game run it's coarse (You get it for six , we get it for six). Those penalties were after probable Bulldog errors - To get a penalty is like winning the golden ticket - Just saying, if it's the last tackle and it's a 50/50 call, rule against the team that just had their six. The refs suck - anyone catch that Tigers Match - If those tries and no tries were in a game 20 years ago the decisions all would of been reversed.

Panthers V Bulldogs 2 months 2 weeks ago #26428

• richo
  • Thank you received: 109
I agree with Shazza as mentioned above. It is amazing Darren Nichols was not brought in to replace Moylan. He has been absolutely outstanding for us in NSW Cup and fully deserved an NRL debut. Nothing against Tyrone but Nichols was more deserving to be given first shot.