Panther Pride

Switch to desktop Register Login

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Panthers reserves v Mounties

Panthers reserves v Mounties 2 years 2 months ago #22711

• shazza
  • Thank you received: 161
It mightn’t have been exactly champagne but compared to the flat beer that was served up last night (in Darwin), yesterday’s offering at Pepper Stadium was positively vintage backs-to-the–wall, knock down drag ‘em out football. Off the back of a wealth of possession, indifferent Panthers defense and an on song Josh McCrone, the competition front-running Mounties raced to a 16-0 lead after just 10 minutes of play.

It was bloody cold in the western stand, we were staring down the gun-barrel of an absolute flogging and, in all honesty, I had to fight the urge to grab my keys and head for the car-park. Thankfully the players weren’t as chicken hearted as me because instead of heading for the nearest exit, they regrouped, rolled up their collective sleeves and set about the task of clawing their way back into the game.

After 15 minutes, a bit of ball and some slick handling, we managed to race a try in in the corner. Corey Harawira did the honors from the sideline to make the score 16-6. 10 minutes later while half the Mounties side involved themselves in a push and shove match in centre field, Sam Scarlet took advantage of the opportunity to bolt over from 25 metres out to bring us to within striking distance of the runaway leaders. Harawira again added the extras 16-12.
The introduction of Andy Saunders and young Ollie Clark’s to the field made a noticeable difference to the teams go-forward and 7 minutes from the half-time break, we finally hit the lead 18-16.

The 2nd half started exactly the same as the first, a soft try, after just 3 minutes, put us behind 18-22. That was the end of the celebrations for the Raiders feeder club though, because from then on the Panthers took control and eventually ran out winners 30-22.

Holden Cup players Brent Naden, Oliver Clark and Corey Harawira all stepped up to the higher grade and had outstanding games. I’ve never been a fan of the lanky Naden, he’s the most unlikely looking footballer I’ve seen since the “Penguin” (Graham Bradley) strutted his stuff to great effect at Penrith Park. But like Bradley, despite his ungainly action, he’s obviously a lot faster than he appears to be, he’s strong, deceptively nimble on his feet and obviously a real handful for opposition defenders.
Clark is the real deal and thankfully, unlike the work-a-hollic tyro Andy Saunders, has the size to go all the way to first grade. He relishes carrying the ball into the line, has a great offload, reads the game well and like RCG, is a technically perfect low tackler.
Corey Harawira, as I’ve mentioned before, has a very similar game to Elijah Taylor’s and like that Kiwi International, plays well above his weight. Unlike Taylor, Harawira probably still has a bit of growing to do and hopefully by the time he’s ready for first grade he will have gained the extra few kilos of bulk he’ll need to take full advantage of his obvious footballing talent.

Sam Scarlett was probably MoM and as an organizer, lost nothing in comparison with the very experienced Josh McCrone who ran the show skillfully for the opposition. Scarlett is developing into a very good half-back and apart from being an astute general with a slick passing and kicking game, he’s also a good defender and most importantly a potent attacking force when he elects to take the line on. His try was an absolute cracker.
Andy Saunders put in another one of his trademark full-blooded performance and bench player Rodney Coates (a big unit) also looked the goods with some powerful running.

Kieran Moss will be a sensation in Super-league, it’s such a pity that he’s surplus to requirements at the Panthers because he’s as talented a fullback as we’ve ever had at the club. He capped off a wonderful all-round game with one of his trademark support tries and was all class in everything he did. I hope he gets at least 1 game in first grade before the end of the season, he certainly wouldn’t be letting anyone down and it would be a fitting end to a great, if unfulfilled career at the foot of the mountain.

shazza
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Panthers reserves v Mounties 2 years 2 months ago #22712

• Panther Jack
  • It's bad luck i swear.
  • Thank you received: 108
Hope Scarlett doesn't turn out to be another Siejka.Does look very promising though.

Panthers reserves v Mounties 2 years 2 months ago #22714

• shazza
  • Thank you received: 161
I forgot to mention that Adam Docker made a welcome return to football in this game and acquitted himself very well.
He looks bigger (in a good way) than before his layoff and I don't think it's all that surprising that his his defensive style appears (for the time being at least), to be a little more Bradley Clyde and a lot less Nigel Plum. He's still getting the job done but not copping quite as much punishment in the process. He had a good solid hit out and looks very fit considering his lack of match practice.
shazza
Last Edit: 2 years 2 months ago by shazza. Reason: tautology
Moderators: #PantherFan?