Panther Pride

Switch to desktop Register Login

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Panthers vs Sharks

Panthers vs Sharks 2 years 7 months ago #21865

• shazza
  • Thank you received: 161
The Panthers young guns had an impressive win over the lowly placed Sharks outfit in Sunday's curtain raiser.
The win, unlike most wins in this competition, was highlighted by rock solid defence. There is plenty of attacking flare in this side but at its heart, on Sunday at least, was a powerful and obvious resolve to keep Cronulla's point-scoring to an absolute minimum. Competitions are won on defence, even Holden Cup competitions, and hopefully this seasons assault on another premiership has started in earnest.

There are some very promising players in this side and I'd be surprised if there are not at least 4 or 5 genuine first graders in the ranks. Ollie Clark, the best front-row prospect in the club, according to Phil Gould, is playing lock for some unknown reason but he's such a talented footballer he'd shine anywhere. He was eased into the 20's last year when he was probably only 17 or so and at times, not surprisingly, looked a little bit out of his depth but this year, with another year under his belt, it's a whole different ball-game and he's absolutely reveling in it.

Mr. Versatile, Corey Harawira was playing fullback for most of last year and I mentioned him then as a player of the future. He's been bumped up to the back-row this season and hasn't missed a beat in his new position. I'm pretty sure he comes from the same NZ club that produced Elijah Taylor, which might explain the similarities in their playing style. Harawira isn't very big, but what he lacks in size he more than makes up for with hard work, a great passing and running game and rock-like defence. He's also a more than handy goal kicker.

Soni Hala the junior rep bookend with Ollie Clark has taken a little bit longer to hit his straps but, after a slow start, is coming along in leaps an bounds. He's big and strong and does exactly what a good prop is supposed to do, he runs hard (and often) and tackles even harder. He'd save the opposition a lot of pain if he had a sign painted on his chest (no way through here). Paea Pua is a player I know nothing about but like Hala, he's developing into a one man wrecking machine.

Hooker, Tyrone May is, I think, another convert from the backs. He has a great passing game and a better than average running game to go with it. He's got what can't be taught, football smarts, and while he's obviously no Cameron Smith (a converted halfback) at this stage, he seems to have all the attributes needed to develop into exactly that type of player.

Stanton Albert, while nowhere near as big as older brother Wellington, is probably only 18 or so and has all the hallmarks of a very good ball-playing front-row forward. He's tough, he's hardworking and has a great offload. In short, he's a very good footballer. His ability hasn't gone unnoticed either, he's also just been named in the PnG National side.

Half-back Soni Luke is a work in progress but is developing into a very accomplished footballer. He's got the number one attribute needed to be a successful half, confidence, and as he has all the other skills required, in varying degrees, experience against quality opposition is all he needs to move to the next level.

I'm not suggesting these are the only players in the team capable of playing in the NRL they're simply the ones that have caught my eye in recent games.

Shazza
Last Edit: 2 years 7 months ago by shazza. Reason: correction
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You   Pomoz

Panthers vs Sharks 2 years 7 months ago #21873

• TalentScout
  • Thank you received: 82
The 1st 20 minutes of this game was the closest I have seen to perfection (by the panthers) for any game (including NRL) this season..
It set up the victory.
The play the balls were fast, the defensive line was being bent, the 5th tackle options (kicking) were outstanding and the structure was spot on. We turned them around, and before they could get players behind the ball it was the 3rd or 4th tackle.
I'm pretty sure Cronulla only had 3-4 sets in that 1st 20.. If we didn't score, we rolled it into the ingoal and got a repeat set.
They were spent after doing so much defence. Which left them with no energy to attack.

They did give away a few sillys (penalties, dropped ball), it gave the Sharks a breather after that opening 20. Which could've invited them back in. But, the damage had already been done.

I would use that video before every game (the 1st 20mins only) to show what needs to be done, and ask them to see if they could do it for longer. :dry:

Well done..
The administrator has disabled public write access.