Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: SOO 2015

SOO 2015 2 years 4 months ago #22019

• Kevin
  • Panthers Hate Parra
  • Thank you received: 183
I'm not confident of a Blues win, just don't have that gut feel :(

The Qld side looks pretty settled and has been together a long time which is our only hope, the longevity of Dad's army might be coming to an end........we hope.

I am really concerned about our backline, everyone is talking up the pack and the bench, but scoring points comes from the backs, Hopper has been awful for Parra, Morris is coming off a lengthy spell with injury and hasn't "produced" since returning, Jenko's form isn't anything to write home about and Hodkinson......well all and sundry knows how bad he has been playing.

Dugan is a plus, I'm happy Moylan's not there from a selfish Panther view point, and Tupou probably deserves to be on one wing and will probably be the go to point when we can't score through the hands.

Pearce will be the QLD target for sure, he better measure up this game or his SOO days may be numbered, regardless of how his club form is, this is a different beast and he will have the majority of traffic coming his way.

I hope Klemmer & Fafita go ballistic and show that poonce Woods what being a front rower in SOO is all about :woohoo:

Not confident but hoping NSW 7 - QLD 6

Edit : Just realised the index defaults to Game Day even though I created the New Thread in Representative, can a mod fix please. ;)
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Kevin.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You   Pomoz

SOO 2015 2 years 4 months ago #22021

• TalentScout
  • Thank you received: 82
Yeah.. This is a tough one.

QLD (Meninga) loves 2nd phase footy.. As long as the metre eaters are doing their jobs, the back row and backline have a license to thrill.. (And unfortunately they normally do).. Wrapping up the ball is crucial.

For NSW, running 1 out on slow play the balls means getting smashed. The fringes are the areas to exploit. Hoffman was man of the series last year, by running the fringes. They went away from that in game 3 and got owned.
Work JT and Cronk over and momentum follows..
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by TalentScout.

SOO 2015 2 years 4 months ago #22026

• Kevin
  • Panthers Hate Parra
I hope Fafita backs up his comments, we will be a chance if he has a real go.

Brandy showed some good points last night, the QLD left side is dominant, we need to aim up on that right side defence, hopper is on that side isn't he :whistle:

SOO 2015 2 years 4 months ago #22030

• TalentScout
Fifita should have a heavily tattooed shadow on Wednesday night.. :P

Didn't see the Brandy thing you're talking about, but, when their wheels are in motion, communication needs to be at its highest level.
I just hope it doesn't come down to a kimmorley or Hodgson type of decision that hands them the game.. :sick:

SOO 2015 2 years 4 months ago #22037

• Kevin
  • Panthers Hate Parra
TalentScout wrote:
Fifita should have a heavily tattooed shadow on Wednesday night.. :P

He will have a few to pick from then, we should have quite a few players running off him if tattoos are the criteria for backing up :lol:

SOO 2015 2 years 4 months ago #22039

• Pomoz
  • Thank you received: 204
Kevin, I can but agree regarding Woods. I have yet to see him deliver at rep level. I think he ran 30m in his first SOO. Tim Grant delivered 100m plus in his first game and I am no TG fan. He has a good motor, just like Gallen, but he doesn't do the tough yards. Let's hope he is a different player. Between him and Tamou, I think we might be a bit soft in the front row.

As for scoring, we have Farah and Pearce who are creative. Hodgkinson is very average and Dugan will only pass the ball after he has scored a try. I'm just not sure where the ball movement is to create space.

SOO 2015 2 years 4 months ago #22042

• Kevin
  • Panthers Hate Parra
I give Woods a caning in the other thread re stats as well.

Good to hear your not completely focussed on someone's numbers representing their ability ;)

I agree.....the more I look at that backline the more I believe it's out of balance somehow, just doesn't look right.

SOO 2015 2 years 4 months ago #22046

• mutley
  • Thank you received: 200

SOO 2015 2 years 4 months ago #22073

• Kevin
  • Panthers Hate Parra
Pomoz wrote:
Kevin, I can but agree regarding Woods. I have yet to see him deliver at rep level.

Did you hear he has made the Statement he wants the first hit up :blink: He must have money on QLD, because that is a sure fire way to give them the ascendancy early, question is, how far will they drive him back :lol:

Just on that Stat, :P

Imagine if they only took the furthest point as metres run, then had another stat for metres lost dependant on how far you get pushed back, be interesting to see who produces - metres run ;)

What about how many defensive players used to complete a tackle, i.e. Big Sam, 11 hit ups, 110m gained, 7m lost, 2 off loads and 40 defensive players needed in 11 hit ups, now that would be a Stat to take note of.

A. Woods, 15 Hit Ups 180m run, 12 hit ups on 4th tackle in opposition half for 167m run, 27m lost, 0 off loads and 26 defensive players needed for 15 hit ups :woohoo:
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Kevin.

SOO 2015 2 years 4 months ago #22075

• TalentScout
Might put a 10'er on Woods to be 1st try scorer... :P

SOO 2015 2 years 4 months ago #22079

Went to the game. Had excellent seats in Row 8 which at ANZ is 5 rows back between the 40 mt and 30 mt lines.

I thought NSW lost due to errors made and not getting the rub in the penalties. Ben Cummings marked the ten when NSW had the ball, Ben let everything go including Qld never on side, Smith doing his grubby best at the ruck etc Gerrard Sutton seemed to be more in charge of the NSW line and had no issue giving penalties away, including the ist tackle one after 55mins hat Qld scored off to lock the game up

For most of the second half we didn't have the ball so most likely were lucky to hold them out. Why did NSW lose ? I can't watch a replay just yet. In the car Daley who completely F....d his interchange bench again said Pearce and Hodkinson will play in Melbourne. In the 74 min we used interchange 8 and 9, Klemmer and a 1 another. So for 73 mins we only used 7 changes. Merrin barely got on the field ?????

SOO 2015 2 years 4 months ago #22080

• TalentScout
Wow!! So much to talk about during and after that game...

The main points I noticed,
QLD won the ruck all game and their experience at this level shone through.

The Blues could've got away with it, if they didn't make crucial mistakes at important times.
They should be proud of their defence.. It kept them in the game.

NSW execution was very poor. Hodkinson made some poor decisions and rushed the set plays (they tried them on slow play the balls) he should've demanded his pack get him a quicker play the ball, then put it through the hands.. If it's a slow one, delay the set play until you've got them back peddling..
Dugan lingered around the ruck once and picked up an offload from Tamou which lead to a try.. Ok, don't do that again?? :blink:
The fringes?? You went there a few times and were gaining ground and even created chances.. Better go back to the middle and run 1 out...??
Farah, did u mean to go to Duges for the field goal attempt?? Why did you throw it above his left shoulder?? He's right footed..

MEH!! Not typing any more.. This could be an essay!!!
Going to bed with the shits!! :angry:

SOO 2015 2 years 4 months ago #22082

• Kevin
  • Panthers Hate Parra
I'm with you NSP - I am blaming Daley for this loss, his use of the bench was diabolical at best :evil:

Woods, who I believe played the best game I've seen him play just doesn't have any agro with his runs, both Tamou and Klemmer left him for dead with effort. In saying that, 15m from fulltime, both Woods and Tamou went to a tackle, put there hands on the play and toddled off, they were out on there feet and DOPEY leaves them on for a further 10 minutes :evil:

Fafita, I think he might need to lose a few kegs to be Origin material, he was left wanting after 10 minutes, they say he has a big motor, it was out of petrol last night.

The Refs are killing the game, 4-5 minutes in QLD coming out of the 20 and they blow a penalty for....wait for it......

A FLOP :blink: - Watch how many flops go unpunished this weekend, I've seen a 100 of em already this year :evil:

Sooooo frustrated, my 3 yr old getting up out of bed 3 times during the game probably saved me a couple of k, I was ready to kick the TV in :evil:

Hodkinson.......WHAT THE.......A kick for touch in your own 10 and you kick it 20m straight to QLD.

Our wingers were TOOPOO.......

I felt sorry for Beau Scott, he left his arse on the grass and we had blokes who could run laps at the end of the game, Laurie Daley TAKE A BOW........So I can kick your arse hard :evil:

SOO 2015 2 years 4 months ago #22085

• Pomoz
Woods deserves a pat on the back, that was huge improvement over his last SOO performance. He had a go and so did Tamou.
Didn't think either Jackson or Cordner were that good and Luke Lewis should get a personal apology from Daley for missing out so either of these two could play. We really could of done with somebody like him who can break the line, make good angled runs and also pass the ball. Admittedly, passing is not in the NSW playbook so that part of his game is superfluous.

When you get down to it, we are a dumb, uncreative football team. Our game management is awful and the lack of ball movement makes watching the Blues a stupefying experience. The only way a centre got the ball was through an offload or when they run from dummy half. If they did get it, they had the entire assembled might of QLD in front of them, marking them closer than a tribal tattoo. Contrast this with QLD, who continually moved the ball and changed the point of attack. To our credit, our defence blunted their attack, but at least they showed some neat moves.

I agree with everybody here who thought Daley's use of the bench was bordering on stupid. WTF he was doing only giving Merrin 20 minutes of game time will remain a mystery. You do realise Lozza (probably not, there's not a lot going on upstairs is there?) that for you to use "the big bodies" you used as your excuse to drop Lewis, they do actually have to be on the field? Fifita and Merrin can't actually influence anything whilst sat on the bench pressing their large behinds into the pine. Perhaps you thought their large bulk would act as a gravitational pull that would slow down the QLD players?

Paul McGregor and shane Flanagan will buy Lozza a beer for giving their boys a nice light training run to keep up their condition.

SOO 2015 2 years 4 months ago #22087

• Puss
  • Thank you received: 254
..... result aside, I thought the game was a dour bore. It'd be more fun watching a replay of last weeks news. Both sides lacked imagination in offence and whilst the defence was admirable, who wants to see Cameron Smith's umpteen flops. Highlight for me was the final whistle. :blink:

Remember the days jack Gibson used to put dark patches under players eyes to cut the glare. Duggan needs two more tattoos under his eyes coz then he might be able to see where the goalposts are. Don't care who they trot out next game I'll tune in to judge Judy at least she's prepared to make a decision unlike our NRL refs. :S

If that's the games showpiece event then Rugby league's in strife. :pinch:

SOO 2015 2 years 4 months ago #22089

• Puss
........ Although someone putting their fist thru Justin Hodges melon might just draw me back to the 'concept' game. :whistle:

SOO 2015 2 years 4 months ago #22090

• panthermike
  • Thank you received: 10
No wonder the Panthers let michael Jennings go ,he promises so much but does not deliver. Morris and Dugan went okay but where was the rest of our back line? We lost that game...................and isn,t justin hodges a grub..

SOO 2015 2 years 4 months ago #22091

• Kevin
  • Panthers Hate Parra
I tend to agree Puss, years gone by, I would hardly sit down, I got out of my seat once Wed night and that was when I saw Morris flying after that kick to score.

I am also glad people are finally talking about the tactics of Cameron Smith, I spoke to Tim Mannah a few years ago, and he said without question the grubbiest team is Melbourne, in particular Smith who will not tackle you without doing something to you. At the very least in every tackle he will pinch you under the arms or squeeze your hammy's etc etc. I guess that's the modern game !

If the "spectacle" is to remain, we need to allow these elite players to be men, who are in a battle, who need to play on the edge to overcome adversity. When a tough man in our game today is Aaron Woods, we have a problem, Dallas Donnelly would vomit his toenails up. :P

Wouldn't it be great to see Hodges announce his last game and whoever is playing them take ownership of punching port holes in him.

SOO 2015 2 years 4 months ago #22095

• Puss
...... Commentators regularly wax lyrical on Cronk, Thurston, Slater etc and their value to the Qld side. Smiths the link. Bend that SOB there's no service to the aforementioned. There's no go forward, less time to mind the 10 metres etc etc etc. Smiths the man. Someone needs to shorten him up every time he touches the ball. The Qlders regularly move off the mark interfering with the NSW marker allowing that bloke Smith to skip forward to the line and release their forwards. Stop Smith you halt the Qld back lines momentum.

...... And one more thing NSW. You gonna let them push you in the back, drive their forearms into the side of your head, grab chasers shirt sleeves, pat you on the head, sledge at every opportunity. etc etc Get niggly, get even, get Smith.

SOO 2015 2 years 4 months ago #22096

• Kevin
  • Panthers Hate Parra
BRING BACK THE BIFF :woohoo:

SOO 2015 2 years 4 months ago #22097

• Pomoz
Smith has been the best player in the game for a number of years. If he is in your team, your chances of winning go up substantially. Built like an accountant, yet nobody ever seems to run over the top of him. He seems to have some sort of "ninja" power to bring down big guys without getting trampled.

Beats me how he does it. I reckon my missus could bench press more than him and she's no Xena warrior princess. I still have to open the jam when it's new (if she could do this, I reckon I'd be gone).

His leadership sets him apart from other players and on top of that his passing game from dummy half is smoother than Hugh Jackman in a tuxedo. I think it was Paul Kent who said that when Smith enters the room other people gravitate to him, he is charismatic and a born leader. Tallis said the same.

No Smith and Manly thumped the Storm in the GF. He really is that good.

He is irritating though. If he tackled him in a game, he could make the Dalai Lama cuss and denounce his buddhist peace ideals, just long enough to twat him. At least I hope he would.

Daily Telegraph Headline
"Dalai Lama Sent Off After Punching Smith Shock".
"He choked me and clogged my chakras" said Lama
"Coach Bellamy Says "Cameron is not that sort of player. Lama is a thug"".
The following user(s) said Thank You   Kevin

SOO 2015 2 years 4 months ago #22103

• Puss
..... Smith is normally 2nd or third man in to enact the wrestle and hold the play the ball up. It's rare to see him take a hit up and actually be hit, he offloads regularly. Hit him, smack him, bend him, give him something to think about. Pull his chest hair that'll get his attention. Go after his goal kicking left leg. 'Nike' just do it. We're so preoccupied with 1,6 & 7 the nine gets away with murder. Make him work, make him ache, make him irrelevant. This bloke an immortal as some would suggest? No way.

SOO 2015 2 years 4 months ago #22227

• Kevin
  • Panthers Hate Parra
Gotta say, I'm not overly enthusiastic about Wed night, years gone by I would be getting pumped up by now but honestly, I wouldn't care if I didn't watch it.

I will of course, but the passion isn't there, maybe it's the team, maybe it's because the game is in Melbourne, where's the hype?

Apparently NSW are going to employ the QLD grubby tactics......yawn

QLD are the masters of gang tackles, in your face tactics etc etc and get away with it.

Be interested to see how the Refs "play" this game. The series is on the line for NSW, the revenue in QLD will be enormous if we go there at 1-1, if the 3rd game is QLD 2-0 that will cost the game way too much money.

My Tip - NSW Win on the back of poor refereeing decisions, all the 50/50's going to NSW. Early in the game QLD will be up in the penalties, then NSW will get a swathe of em until they hit the front..........who's a sceptic :whistle:

SOO 2015 2 years 4 months ago #22228

• Puss
...... Big night Wednesday. Judge Judy, the Weather report, latest news. Maybe Pawn Stars or Storage wars. Hey there might be a UFC replay, Americas Cup preview or even one of those cooking shows. Say what ......... What about the footy??

More aggression in a channel nine arm wrestle than you'll get here.
Enjoy yourselves forumites, I hope the game lives up to the hype for you.
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Puss.

SOO 2015 2 years 4 months ago #22231

• Kevin
  • Panthers Hate Parra
I heard on MMM this morning that throwing a punch is not only 10 in the bin but 3 weeks suspension......is that right?

Every real footy fan knows the game itself is hard, but the SOO spectacle has gone soft, Rabs summed it up with the Woods 1st hit up in the first game, "well that was uninspiring" :(

The fact he ran to the edge and basically hit the deck when someone touched him, they only had 2 in the tackle anyway, says it all.

I don't want to see the return of thuggery, but I do want to see a man in a physical contact environment be able to defend his honour when someone like Justin Hodges is trying to push them around.

I remember early last year, the turning point of all forward battles was when Woods "dominated" the Souths pack, the fact he was able to grab jersey's while smiling without any chance to be taken apart by the Burgess boys in particular Sam, was the bitter end of the "forward battle" early in a game, the "softening up period" has been done by the NRL aficionado not the "men" in the middle of the park........AND THAT IS SAD :angry:
  • Page: