Switch to desktop Register Login

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: WS Wanderers knock back offer from Panthers

WS Wanderers knock back offer from Panthers 4 years 1 month ago #17537

• Ross
  • Thank you received: 353
"To be a Penrith Panther is an honour. A privilege ... we don't just let any bastard in." - Dave Applebee
The administrator has disabled public write access.

WS Wanderers knock back offer from Panthers 4 years 1 month ago #17538

• Panther Jack
  • It's bad luck i swear.
  • Thank you received: 108
Wow.

WS Wanderers knock back offer from Panthers 4 years 1 month ago #17540

• Tylooper
  • Thank you received: 197
I love football but it runs a distant third to league and cricket. To me, it made sense for a business like the Panthers Group to investigate the opportunity to buy into this franchise. The talk in the Telegraph is as per usual, a load of Rothfield agenda driven crap. The A League and NRL are played in different seasons and besides a few weeks at the end of the season, they do not conflict. This has nothing to do with the Penrith Panthers having a poor marketability. This is purely a business decision and for me, it shows how financially strong the Panthers Group is. As Penrith supporters, we should all be excited about that (no secret bank accounts to be found Mr Rothfield).
I would not be surprised if the door eventually gets opened up for Warren Wilson to talk the UPS about the possible purchase. The Wanderers had a fantastic season last year and could very well do the same again this year. I don't buy into the whole 'western Sydney love' of the Wanderers anymore than a league team's supporters coming from everywhere to support their team when they are winning. Remember a bloke called Del Piero? What a fabulous player he is and when he first arrived, Sydney FC packed the joint. As the season started falling apart, the fans slowly but surely started to disappear. There will be no difference with WS. I will not be surprised if WS have an average season and the fans stop turning up that the Panthers Group will be asked if they are still interested.
Like I said, I'm just glad that our club has the cash to be able to consider the purchase (how about yours Mr Rothfield?).
Last Edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Tylooper.

WS Wanderers knock back offer from Panthers 4 years 1 month ago #17541

• Dufeyz
  • Thank you received: 44
Can't say I'm a fan of soccer, but from a pure business standpoint it would of been fantastic for the club. If the wanderers were to end up playing home games at a revamped penrith stadium it would ensure constant money going into the club, which can't be a bad thing. Being able to use the stadium all year round is a very efficient idea.

A bit of a shame that they got rejected. If u look at the crowds between the wanderers and the eels at parra stadium, there is a huge difference. Better luck next time riff'

WS Wanderers knock back offer from Panthers 4 years 1 month ago #17543

• Puss
  • Thank you received: 254
.... the trial match last night vs/ Wellington at Blacktown attracted a reasonable crowd. There were a number of Panther fans in attendance. The Wanderers should not be ignored.

One point... as much as the crowd is their strength, so too could be their undoing. It was a little unruly last night.

WS Wanderers knock back offer from Panthers 4 years 1 month ago #17547

• Ross
  • Thank you received: 353
Puss the WSW had a brilliant year last year. Undeniable. Even watching on TV you could not help being swept up in the atmosphere being generated by their supporters. Absolutely brilliant.

But ............. there were plenty of examples last year that the RBB or elements within were involved in activities that did not put the WSW club, it's supporters, the A-League and the code in a good light.

The club did come out with the usual comments - "it's only a small minority of people who are spoiling it for the rest" etc even in the face of video evidence played on TV when people were enjoying meals at a cafe in Parramatta being surrounded by chanting, spitting fans marching the Woolpack Hotel to Parramatta Stadium the response was weak kneed at best.

The good news? They were successful on the field - and that still had elements of the old hooligan/bovver boys creating havoc in and around their matches played.

If they have a mediocre 2nd season I can see these "fans" getting frustrated and increasing their anti- social activities creating a huge headache for the WSW and the code. I hope I am wrong but too many incidents last season has me watching closely this season.
"To be a Penrith Panther is an honour. A privilege ... we don't just let any bastard in." - Dave Applebee

WS Wanderers knock back offer from Panthers 4 years 1 month ago #17548

• K J
  • Thank you received: 98
Tylooper wrote:
I love football but it runs a distant third to league and cricket.

Is that only your personal opinion/preference? Because the A-League football out-rates the cricket now to be the premier summer sport of choice for Foxtel subscribers. I've changed myself and now consider the A-League to be a bigger sport than cricket these days. Three years ago I would have thought that idea to be absurd.

As for WSW's support - they have a larger base of hardcore fans - those who'll stick with the club in tough times than Sydney FC.

As for the Panthers Group's failure to become a stakeholder in the WSW - what a shame. It sounds as though FFA's decision on this is something they won't budge on, and this probably kills off and chance (however slim they were to begin with) of becoming a tender for a five-star stadia in the local precinct. On to Plan B now Mr Gould.
The following user(s) said Thank You   ScousePanther

WS Wanderers knock back offer from Panthers 4 years 1 month ago #17550

K J wrote:
Tylooper wrote:

Is that only your personal opinion/preference? Because the A-League football out-rates the cricket now to be the premier summer sport of choice for Foxtel subscribers. I've changed myself and now consider the A-League to be a bigger sport than cricket these days. Three years ago I would have thought that idea to be absurd.

KJ - It is still absurd. Soccer is not more popular than cricket. Don't believe it.

We were all told how popular soccer was going to be once the Aussie team made a world cup and to a large degree this is correct. Soccer is more popular rating on Fox sports you say. That is because Fox sports show the cricket on delay. Channel 9 show the cricket in Aust. not Fox. When cricket is o/s the Fox sports live coverage is in the late evening.

Panthers were denied the opportunity to purchase WSW so they could not get access to WSW financials and business plans, membership growth plans etc. No business willingly gives away access to the financials of business until they have no choice within a takeover situation. This is not the case here. Take pressure away from Cronulla anyone?

WS Wanderers knock back offer from Panthers 4 years 1 month ago #17553

• sullo66
  • Thank you received: 34
The knock back from Gallop would have more to do with his relationship with Gould than not having a league entity involved in soccer.

There's a precedence in Newcastle with the Knights and Jets are both owned by Tinkler Group.

WS Wanderers knock back offer from Panthers 4 years 1 month ago #17554

• K J
  • Thank you received: 98
North Shore Panther wrote:
KJ - It is still absurd. Soccer is not more popular than cricket. Don't believe it.

We were all told how popular soccer was going to be once the Aussie team made a world cup and to a large degree this is correct. Soccer is more popular rating on Fox sports you say. That is because Fox sports show the cricket on delay. Channel 9 show the cricket in Aust. not Fox. When cricket is o/s the Fox sports live coverage is in the late evening.

Panthers were denied the opportunity to purchase WSW so they could not get access to WSW financials and business plans, membership growth plans etc. No business willingly gives away access to the financials of business until they have no choice within a takeover situation. This is not the case here. Take pressure away from Cronulla anyone?

The culture of sports watchers is changing in this country. I think it's fair to say that domestic soccer is on the rise while domestic cricket is on the wane.

Thinking about it more deeply, I've realised FOX Sports have ditched the Big Bash (those rights have now gone to Channel Ten I believe) - which tells you it didn't rate enough for it to be kept by FOX Sports.

As for the ACB's summer calender - let's be honest here, the only fixtures that rates well on Channel Nine are those against England, South Africa and India. Unfortunately though South Africa play their own international cricket at home so we won't be seeing them doing the full tour here in the near future. England and India come here every three years? So every other year we see teams come here that don't garner much interest or produce much fanfare. The series last summer against Sri Lanka for example rated extremely poorly on TV, iirc, as were the crowds.

The problem with cricket in this country, and in the world, is that it has become too diluted. It is all over the place and their are too many meaningless games. By mid January I am sick to death of hearing about cricket and can't wait for it all to end and for the rugby league season to start.

And the bottom line with regards to the FFA's rejection of a sale/part-sale of the WSW is that it won't sell to a competitor - even though we aren't - the two sports are played in different seasons. But the soccer hierarchy, ironically led by a former rugby league boss, view rugby league as a competitor. That is a shame. A real shame.

WS Wanderers knock back offer from Panthers 4 years 1 month ago #17556

K J wrote:
North Shore Panther wrote:

The culture of sports watchers is changing in this country. I think it's fair to say that domestic soccer is on the rise while domestic cricket is on the wane.

I would also argue that rugby league in western sydney is also on a downward spiral. The Tigers, Panthers and Eels are basket cases for the NRL at the moment. They are repeatedly uncompetitive and support is waning badly in the region for all of these clubs. Having been a season ticket holder at Panthers for 5 years and also having gone to WSW games last season i have to say there is a world of difference not just in on-field results, but in the whole marketing of the two club's. The WSW brand makes everyone feel welcome, and i have to say in the last couple of years at Panthers i have felt extremely unvalued by the club. I do think this is not just a Panthers problem though, the NRL seriously needs to look at the path forward. Quite simply without Foxtel cash the sport would be dead and buried at professional level due to the poor crowd figures, so if Foxtel ever considers soccer to be more important with future TV contracts then god help the NRL.

Its a shame Panthers werent allowed to purchase the WSW because there is so much they could learn - but then again FFS may be concerned Panthers would drag the WSW down. Sorry for the negativity, I want Panthers to be successful - but i do fear for the future of the NRL in western sydney. Sorry if i have gone a little off topic.

PS WSW play a preseason game at Panthers in September, it will be interesting to see what size crowd attends. I certainly plan to be there.
Last Edit: 4 years 1 month ago by ScousePanther.

WS Wanderers knock back offer from Panthers 4 years 1 month ago #17558

• Jagman
  • Out of the darkness we will come!!
  • Thank you received: 150
ScousePanther wrote:
Having been a season ticket holder at Panthers for 5 years and also having gone to WSW games last season i have to say there is a world of difference not just in on-field results, but in the whole marketing of the two club's. The WSW brand makes everyone feel welcome, and i have to say in the last couple of years at Panthers i have felt extremely unvalued by the club.

Sadly I concur your thoughts, and even more worrying in my mind is the fact I'm comparing Penrith's connection with the fans against a rival club in the Bulldogs.

As I mentioned elsewhere they have rung me twice about my happiness with the club performance in a number of areas both on and off the field. It seems they want to know how the fans are feeling, where as we find ourselves ostracised to various degree's.

I actually am going to try stop myself making further comments on the matter. It's all so bloody frustrating.

Gould, I'd tweet you myself, but alas you've blocked me (Mamboth68) if you would be so kind to unblock me I'll not contact you again, I'll just read your tweets to stay better informed.
Life is a lesson that some never learn.
The following user(s) said Thank You   ScousePanther

WS Wanderers knock back offer from Panthers 4 years 1 month ago #17560

• Steve Tidball
ScousePanther wrote:
Having been a season ticket holder at Panthers for 5 years and also having gone to WSW games last season i have to say there is a world of difference not just in on-field results, but in the whole marketing of the two club's. The WSW brand makes everyone feel welcome, and i have to say in the last couple of years at Panthers i have felt extremely unvalued by the club.

Suprising the person who works with the WSW brand had worked with the fan engagment at WSW is acually former Panthers Marketing Manager Shaun Mielekamp.

The deterioration of the engagement with the Panthers fanbase IMO started with his departure from the Penrith Panthers.

The Panthers loss seems to be the Wanderers gain.

WS Wanderers knock back offer from Panthers 4 years 1 month ago #17562

• mr walker
  • Thank you received: 129
Just one word of advice for Panthers management - FOCUS.
The following user(s) said Thank You   max cowan

WS Wanderers knock back offer from Panthers 4 years 1 month ago #17567

• Tylooper
K J wrote:
Tylooper wrote:

As for WSW's support - they have a larger base of hardcore fans - those who'll stick with the club in tough times than Sydney FC.

As for the Panthers Group's failure to become a stakeholder in the WSW - what a shame. It sounds as though FFA's decision on this is something they won't budge on, and this probably kills off and chance (however slim they were to begin with) of becoming a tender for a five-star stadia in the local precinct. On to Plan B now Mr Gould.
Just my personal preference

WS Wanderers knock back offer from Panthers 4 years 1 month ago #17569

• Tylooper
mr walker wrote:
Just one word of advice for Panthers management - FOCUS.
I think you are confusing the football club management with the leagues club management. The Telegraph would have you think that it's Gould's baby when in fact, it is Warren Wilson's. Two completely different areas of the business.

WS Wanderers knock back offer from Panthers 4 years 1 month ago #17574

• mr walker
Nope. Our club has spent much of the last 20 years building empires & where has that got us?
FOCUS on the business, if you aspire to be Clive Palmer use your own money.
The following user(s) said Thank You   Puss

WS Wanderers knock back offer from Panthers 4 years 1 month ago #17577

• max cowan
  • Thank you received: 79
mr walker wrote:
Nope. Our club has spent much of the last 20 years building empires & where has that got us?
FOCUS on the business, if you aspire to be Clive Palmer use your own money.

Profitable assets that are now being sold off at low rates.

Surprising thing is that after selling arguably the most profitable (per square foot) club in the state, the proceeds would be destined for a professional sporting franchise (which rarely produce significant profits and most produces losses).

WS Wanderers knock back offer from Panthers 4 years 1 month ago #17584

• Puss
.... I agree with mr walker. Ambition overtakes common sense all too often.
Last Edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Puss.

WS Wanderers knock back offer from Panthers 4 years 1 month ago #17585

• Tylooper
I swear some of you on here must use the Bruce Springsteen song 'glory days' as the anthem of your life. It's time to move on, embrace today, not reminisce about how great the past was.

WS Wanderers knock back offer from Panthers 4 years 1 month ago #17586

• Tylooper
Puss wrote:
.... I agree with mr walker. Ambition overtakes common sense all too often.
Care to explain why you think this is too ambitious Puss?

WS Wanderers knock back offer from Panthers 4 years 1 month ago #17587

• Puss
.... I just want a successful footy club/side not a 'Vegas' Empire. Some of these mooted projects are good value for the community, others are not IMO. Buying the Wanderers at this point of their development is risky business, when you have the RBB as constituents. It's like we're trying to buy a crowd instead of attracting our own. With the RBB, we could easily get more than we bargained for.
Last Edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Puss.

WS Wanderers knock back offer from Panthers 4 years 1 month ago #17589

• Tylooper
I am all for a juggernaut Panthers Group. The stronger it is, the more secure our future is. I'm sure that we don't want to see stories on the 7.30 Report about Ivan having a secret bank account to pay for gym equipment because the Leagues Club has cut funding. Warren Wilson is a very smart man. I trust that he knows what is a good business opportunity for the group.
The following user(s) said Thank You   Steve Tidball, sullo66

WS Wanderers knock back offer from Panthers 4 years 1 month ago #17596

• mr walker
The "juggernaut Panthers group" has been buying & selling clubs, real estate etc. as part of empire building - they perhaps would call it diversification, although buying other similar type businesses, likely to be affected by similar circumstances, is not too much diversifying. Through factors that were not all of their own making (GFC, smoking laws, amended pokie laws etc), some of these did not really work out. There was then the complicated 'arrangement' with financial groups on which I must say I am Jaymie Diaz.

Our club was started as a not-for-profit organisation to fund the football club, other groups within the club, and the local community. That is our charter if you like.

How successful all the activity has been is perhaps best summed up by the apparent need for us to go cap in hand to Packer so he could secretly bail us out, as part of his agenda to have his casino project approved.

Many businesses suffer as they seek to do fun, exciting things instead of the day to day business. Academies & soccer teams are not our core business. Talk of huge stadiums etc when we are flat out attracting 10K to a game is ridiculous. The catchphrase should be FOCUS.

WS Wanderers knock back offer from Panthers 4 years 1 month ago #17608

• Stefan
  • Thank you received: 39
Long story short... Penrith needs to sort out its own back yard before looking at what the wanderers are doing
  • Page: