Panther Pride

Switch to desktop Register Login

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: BOO

BOO 2 years 4 months ago #22597

• Puss
  • Thank you received: 256
..... I used to boo Wally Lewis. I still boo Panther opposition. And now I boo the NRL. Since when must we mirror AFL issues?

No not this racism crap again. Australian - a person born or living in Australia / indigenous- originating in and typical of a particular area. So what's the bloody difference? Why can't we live under the one umbrella - Aussie.

We Panther supporters have had a lousy year and now we have to put up with Inglis and co performing some Aboriginal Haka.
The NRL should step in and nip this shit in the bud. perhaps they should afford the White Man equal time with the National Anthem. They do? Isn't that sufficient for us all?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

BOO 2 years 4 months ago #22598

• Kevin
  • Panthers Hate Parra
  • Thank you received: 186
"Politically correct" = do what the minority says or your labelled.

"Politically correct" = let the minority do as they please without retribution or your labelled.

"Politically correct" = Accept all others in a way you would not accept yourself or your labelled.

I was watching Sesame Street (with my 3yr old) the other day, they were singing about the color of skin, no white people within cooee of the screen, but they were singing about how color doesn't matter, and to have color means that your extra special, a tad contradictory I know, I was thinking that at the time.

I'm not shitting you, my daughter says "what color am I Dad" I said "what color do you think you are", she says, I'm white, I said very good, she says "but white is a color, why didn't they sing about me". hmmmmmm that was from a 3 yr old. All I could respond with was "I don't know, maybe they have a different song for white people".

Now who's wrong there, me for the poor off the cuff answer, or the show for the poor attempt at "acceptance".

I'm no expert, but white is a color and IMO having color means absolutely nothing to me, your just another human trying to live life as we all are. Isn't that what the whole racism thing is about, being considered equals....... :huh:
The following user(s) said Thank You   mutley

BOO 2 years 4 months ago #22600

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 146
The Adam Goodes story seems to be a polarizing subject. I'm not really up on AFL, but I think I have heard enough about this situation from both sides to come to an opinion.

This is how I see it....

Are they booing due to racism? Yeah probably partially.
Are they booing because of the 'pointing out' to a young girls inapproprate insult? Yeah, it would play a factor.
Are they booing because of comments Goodes has made? Yeah, To a degree probably.
Are they booing because of his playing style? Yeah, It may play a factor in it
Are they booing because others are booing? Yeah, I would say that would have something to do with it

Are they booing because of just one of these reasons? No.

Unless you went out and asked every single person why they are booing, it would be wrong to paint every person with the same brush.

The racist element pushed by some commentators is based solely on assumptions. I don't support racism in every form, but I think there is more involved than racism in this situation, and it brand it soley as such is just lazy journalism and arrogant.

As a professional athelete, your going to get booed. You need to accept some people are going to love you, and some are not going to love you.

I'm not going to pretend I have a solution to this issue, mainly because I don't fully underatnd the motivation for the booing, those who say they fully understand this situation in my opinion don't.
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Steve Tidball.
The following user(s) said Thank You   mutley

BOO 2 years 4 months ago #22602

• mutley
  • Thank you received: 205
The only time I boo a player (or group of players) is when they do something wrong on the field, against the team I support. It has nothing to do with race, who they are or who they play for, only the incident that has just occurred on the field. After the game, it is over.

That is not to say that there are players I have disliked over the years. Mitchell Pearce & Billy Slater are 2 current players that I love to hate, in the past there have been players such as Todd Carney, Anthony Mundine, Wally Lewis, Geoff Toovey, Gordon Tallis, just to name a few. I'll boo what they do louder than I boo others, but again, once the game is over, it's over, no need to carry on with it, or give these players extra attention. I don't see the need to boo these players, just because they are on the field or touch the ball, they still need to do something wrong (ie high tackle, offside), before I will boo them.

As for some of our Aborignal players wanting to do a war dance before games, I'm all for it. It's a bit more fun at the games. I've often wondered over the years, why we don't do an Aboriginal war dance before international matches? It would be great to see the Aussies doing an Aborignal war dance at one end of the field, while the Kiwi's are doing a Haka at the other. Imagine the atmosphere that would create!!!
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by mutley.

BOO 2 years 4 months ago #22603

• Puss
..... then we can stage an Irish jig, a Scottish reel, maybe a hula, a Whirling for any Turks, kathak for our Indian contingent, a yankgo for the Chinese, a belly dance and then a lapdance for any Laplanders. :whistle:

...... Panthers tried African drums years ago but it didn't go over too well, not enough boos. :S
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Puss.

BOO 2 years 4 months ago #22604

• panthermike
  • Thank you received: 10
I boo certain players because they are grubs , I also boo players from most other clubs when they are playing the Panthers but I don,t look to see what 'colour' they are first. Players in every sport get booed only because they are good or grubs.

BOO 2 years 4 months ago #22605

• Puss
...... fair enough panther mike and you know, it's sometimes hard to know exactly who is indigenous. I mean it can be difficult to judge solely by the colour of their skin eh. It helps when they pretend to throw spears at you though, don't it? :dry:

BOO 2 years 4 months ago #22639

• Kevin
  • Panthers Hate Parra
If the Boos were simply racism, why wouldn't Nik Natenui?? get pumped each week, his nick name would have to be midnight he is that dark, but I think the fans love him, he has a go without all the pretentious crap.

Brandy hit the nail on the head, the day he pointed out that girl who sledged him, said to every fan of there game, that this bloke is effected by the crowd. What do you think would be the next response from any opposition crowd, pump one of there main men and put him off his game.........and it works.

If JT bowed to that do you think the NRL opposition fans would let him play free of voice.....NO BLOODY WAY.

Goodes response, insight a reaction by aiming a "war dance" at the very crowd who are putting him off his game.....GAME ON.

Some of our (Aussie) sport stars are simply too precious for fan roughage. No co-incidence though that he is on his last legs, make the retirement book more interesting.

BOO 2 years 4 months ago #22667

• Pomoz
  • Thank you received: 204
Kevin wrote:
If the Boos were simply racism, why wouldn't Nik Natenui?? get pumped each week, his nick name would have to be midnight he is that dark, but I think the fans love him, he has a go without all the pretentious crap.

Brandy hit the nail on the head, the day he pointed out that girl who sledged him, said to every fan of there game, that this bloke is effected by the crowd. What do you think would be the next response from any opposition crowd, pump one of there main men and put him off his game.........and it works.

If JT bowed to that do you think the NRL opposition fans would let him play free of voice.....NO BLOODY WAY.

Goodes response, insight a reaction by aiming a "war dance" at the very crowd who are putting him off his game.....GAME ON.

Some of our (Aussie) sport stars are simply too precious for fan roughage. No co-incidence though that he is on his last legs, make the retirement book more interesting.
Kevin, I think you are way off the mark here. He was called an ape. He has been told to get back to the zoo. He was told he could get a part in King Kong. That is not precious, that is offensive, racist and derogatory.

The idea that Goodes ca't handle booing is laughable. He has won premierships and Brownlow medals. He will have been booed at various times his whole career. He probably doesn't give a stuff about the booing. In fact, by performing the war dance he would have known that it might have caused a reaction including booing. He wasn't expecting to be told to get back to the zoo and to be singled out in such spectacular fashion to sustained booing. No player ever cops that sort of booing.

Brandy is white, as am I. We have no idea what it is like to be vilified for the colour of our skin. This is way beyond the normal sports banter. This just ain't right. We must look like redneck halfwits to the rest of the world.
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Pomoz.

BOO 2 years 4 months ago #22673

• Kevin
  • Panthers Hate Parra
So your saying these "supporters" are selectively racist?

If we get down to the nitty gritty Pomoz, he was actually playing the game when the sledging occurred, I am not condoning what was said, no way, and the girls parents need to be taken to account, but the fact remains, he stopped playing the game to point out a 13yr old girl who has sledged him.

The continued booing is not about racism from the Booers perspective, maybe the Collingwood fans have a different agenda but I will put my left one on the fact all other games are simply to get a reaction and put a quality player of his game and it is working, it is however about racism from Goodes and everyone else on that bandwagon. In my opinion, Goodes is just being a sook.

I was at the cricket years ago when the West Indies were in town, I nearly got thrown out at 11am on the first day of the test for shouting to a mate of mine that it was his shout. His nickname is Sando having a last name Sanderson, 3 cops had my arm up my back before I could explain the story. Eventually he had to show his drivers license to prove his last name. :ohmy:

They thought I was saying "Hey SAMBO, your shout"............ :huh:

Is this "agenda" so volatile that all and sundry are on a knife's edge?

BOO 2 years 4 months ago #22676

• Goonji
  • Thank you received: 33
I think it's good that people are talking about racism. Everyone has an opinion and are free in this country to discuss racism rationally and logically. However if we haven't experienced racism personally we are not qualified to say what is and what isn't racism.

I also think it is very sad that a tv show like Sesame Street needs to reassure children that it is okay to look different. What does that say about society? Martin Luther King Jr once said " “I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.”
The following user(s) said Thank You   Steve Tidball, mutley, Kevin

BOO 2 years 4 months ago #22678

• Pomoz
  • Thank you received: 204
Kevin, Adam Goodes is being a sook? Are you serious? He was called an ape. Get back to the zoo!!! You think that is ok? The fact the girl in the original ape comment was 13 was irrelevant and he couldn't possibly have known that. You know what? At 13 she knows the difference from right and wrong and being called out on it was the right thing. Keeping her out of the media afterwards due to her age, was also the right thing.

I am in Singapore at the moment and there was an article in the Singapore Straits about this issue with the headline "Booing of Aboriginal player a test for Australia". The article then uses words about "xenophobia" and "shameful episodes". The word "sook" didn't seem to feature. A full page article in a prominent Asian paper. This issue is big news. I don't think people realise how badly the rest of the world views this. As an Australian I am ashamed that people like Eddie Maguire can make jokes about King Kong, that personalities like Alan Jones can dismiss Goodes as "playing the victim". I am ashamed of how this has been dealt with. The young girls parents should have been held to account. What sort of daughter are they raising? Is this the world we want for kids? Tell the black bloke to toughen up and stop being a sook, its only a monkey joke.......

I know that everybody is not booing because he is black, but that doesn't matter. He is no more a dirty player than a hundred others. The booing started because of the whole "racist" saga. Those who jump on the bandwagon, by their actions condone the racist comments that were made that started this whole sorry saga.

BOO 2 years 4 months ago #22687

• Puss
Xenophobia - big word for an Asian rag. But you're right, the issue has been dealt with poorly. Do they know what AFL is in Singapore? Are they xenophobic in Singapore? Are they multicultural in Singapore? Then tell me, what's their solution to racism?

The sooner we wake up to ourselves and push the same barrow 'aussie' irrespective of the colour of your skin the better. And that goes for Mr Goodes. A mock spear throwing therefore is probably as contentious as the bloody booing that is purported to be behing this whole sad affair.We should all take shelter under the one umbrella 'Australian'.

If you can't cop that, then we really are in strife.

BOO 2 years 4 months ago #22727

• Kevin
  • Panthers Hate Parra
For a start, I don't consider Aboriginal as foreign, I see Aboriginal as Australian, end of story.

I will stand my dig on the "sook" theory, I appreciate your take on the matter, and what was said isn't acceptable, but to have that issue become what it is today tells me their is an agenda and it's not all one sided.

Can I just say that growing up in Bidwill, I was very goods friends with a lot of Aboriginal folk, my nickname was White C@#$, did I argue the call no, did I know what racism was when I was a kid no, do I believe my friends were contrite, no I don't.

Do I believe now, that they were being racist, not on your life.

I appreciate what Goonji is saying about talking about racism, I'm not a racist and take all people on face value, I am however Australian and agree with Puss, the sooner we as Australians take the one banner, the better we will all be.

It can be a very touchy subject and like politics and religion, one I usually bi pass because for me, it is about opinion, more often than not from people other than the affected.

BOO 2 years 4 months ago #22734

• Steve Tidball
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 146
Kevin wrote:
It can be a very touchy subject and like politics and religion, one I usually bi pass because for me, it is about opinion, more often than not from people other than the affected.

I have moved this subject to the 'Big Tent' as while the thread is about a specific incident in sport, it is hard to seperate that from a broader debate about racism, of which introduces people to debates about politics, race and religion.

The 'Big Tent' board was created so people know what they 'were getting into' and could choose not to participate. This way this thread does nort need to be edited/seperated.
The following user(s) said Thank You   Puss, Kevin