Switch to desktop Register Login

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Federal election will be held September 14

Federal election will be held September 14 4 years 10 months ago #4733

• Panther1967
  • Thank you received: 142
Prime Minister Julia Gillard announced the federal election will be held on September 14.

AAP ©

Prime Minister Julia Gillard says the federal election will be held on Saturday, September 14.

Ms Gillard made the surprise announcement during an address to the National Press Club in Canberra on Wednesday.

The Labor leader said she wanted to avoid the "carry on" that usually arises from constant speculation of the likely date of the poll during an election year.

Follow our live coverage and reaction to the surprise announcement.

3.20pm: Leader of the Opposition Tony Abbott is set to make a statement regarding the election announcement at 3.40pm.

2.40pm: Some Liberals are concerned the date will fall on Yom Kippur - the most solemn and sacred day of the Jewish year.

Opposition communications spokesman Malcolm Turnbull has tweeted he is "deeply disappointed that Julia Gillard chose to hold the election on Yom Kippur - the most solemn and sacred day of the Jewish year".

Influential Liberal MP Josh Frydenberg echoed the concern, taking to Twitter to say "this disenfranchises many Jewish Australians and is incredibly sloppy work".

2.30pm: Opposition Leader Tony Abbott's office has yet to respond to the announcement.

But shadow treasurer Joe Hockey is concerned about the state of the budget which a coalition government might inherit.

"Election on Sept 14 is before the final budget outcome is revealed for the current year," he tweeted.

Mr Hockey also tweeted: "Julia Gillard is giving herself certainty about the election date but won't give Australian families certainty about `savings' impacts".

A spokeswoman for Mr Abbott says he is "in a private engagement" and his office has no further comment at this stage.

2.20pm: Independent MPs and the Greens have welcomed the surprise early announcement of the federal election date

Lower house independents Rob Oakeshott and Tony Windsor say the September 14 date is in keeping with the agreement they made for a September or October election with Ms Gillard after the 2010 election.

'Avoid petty politics'

Ms Gillard said by naming a date for September now she wanted to create an environment in which voters could be more easily focused on national issues, rather than "petty politics".

"I can act so Australia's parliament and government serves their full three-year term, so it is clear and certain when the election will be held," Ms Gillard said.

"So today I announce that I will advise the governor-general to dissolve the House of Representatives and issue the writs on Monday, August 12 for an election for the house and half the Senate to be held on Saturday, the 14th of September."

"I do so not to start the nation's longest election campaign, quite the opposite," Ms Gillard said.

"It should be clear to all which are the days of governing, and which are the days of campaigning."

Announcing the election date now would also enable individuals, businesses and investors to plan out their year with some certainty.

"It gives shape and order to the year, and enables it to be one not of fevered campaigning, but of cool and reasoned deliberation," she said.

Ms Gillard said Australians weren't interested in campaigns without content, or platitudes devoid of purpose.

"There is now clearly the time and certainty necessary for the people and parties contesting the election to lay out their fully detailed, costed plans for the timely consideration of voters," she added.

Federal NSW Independent MP Tony Windsor welcomed the announcement of the election day, saying calling it now would provide certainty.

"In the past, Australians have been frustratingly on 'election alert' for long periods of time and, in this 'hung' parliament, on the brink of an election from day one if you believe the Opposition Leader and some sections of the media," he said in a statement.

But Mr Windsor admitted the early announcement would mean the next eight months might well see both major parties in campaign mode.

Fellow Independent MP Rob Oakeshott said the poll date was in line with the agreement reached with crossbench MPs after the 2010 election.

"This parliament will run its full term and the election will be held as agreed," he said in a statement.

Parliament resumes next week and there are about nine sitting weeks before September 14.

Opposition Leader Tony Abbott was on a plane out of Melbourne when Ms Gillard named the election date.

Ms Gillard said by announcing the date so far in advance, the opposition no longer had an excuse not to provide detailed costings ahead of the poll.

"They have two things that an opposition has never had before to enable them to do that," she said.

"One, they've got the benefit of a fixed election date now with several months notice.

"Two, because of what we've done with the Parliamentary Budget Office they've got more resources available to them than an opposition has ever had before in the history of the nation to produce proper costings."

Liberal frontbencher Steve Ciobo used Twitter to respond to the announcement.

"So, the Fed Election is on Sept 14 - how much more damage can Labor do in 7 months?" he tweeted.

Ms Gillard said there were only a limited number of dates.

"I reflected on this over the summer and I thought it's not right for Australians to be forced into a guessing game and it's not right for Australians to not face this year with certainty and stability," she said.
She said she had consulted with her deputy Wayne Swan and her senior colleagues about the date.

au.news.yahoo.com/latest/a/-/latest/1602...ection-september-14/

Election date falls on the first weekend of the qualifying & elimination finals.

Plenty of absentee votes on this voting day I assume.
Last Edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Panther1967.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Federal election will be held September 14 4 years 10 months ago #4755

• Steve Tidball
This will make for an interesting 8 months ahead.

Federal election will be held September 14 4 years 10 months ago #4766

• mutley
  • Thank you received: 205
Why couldn't the red haired clown give us 3-4 weeks notice like usual? This is going to be a very long, tedious & frustrating year, constantly hearing about it. Might have to stop watching TV & buying the paper so that I can get a break.

Federal election will be held September 14 4 years 10 months ago #4767

• Jagman
  • Out of the darkness we will come!!
  • Thank you received: 150
mutley wrote:
Why couldn't the red haired clown give us 3-4 weeks notice like usual? This is going to be a very long, tedious & frustrating year, constantly hearing about it. Might have to stop watching TV & buying the paper so that I can get a break.

I think Labor will rue the fact of giving the opposition 8 months to knock down what I would have thought was a easy target. Personally don't like either leader, the only things for sure is that the Jewish community won't have a big turnout it being held on their most religious day, and that Julian Assange will most likely get my Senate vote.
Life is a lesson that some never learn.

Federal election will be held September 14 4 years 10 months ago #4768

• Steve Tidball
Jagman wrote:
mutley wrote:

I think Labor will rue the fact of giving the opposition 8 months to knock down what I would have thought was a easy target. Personally don't like either leader, the only things for sure is that the Jewish community won't have a big turnout it being held on their most religious day, and that Julian Assange will most likely get my Senate vote.

I think the main reason for it was two fold, the first was to prevent a second Rudd Challenge before the election and the sesond was to get the Liberal/Nationals to post their own policy rather then complaining about Labors policy decisions, this allows Labor to get on the front foot and some costings for what seems like unfunded programs.

On the Rudd front, the change of ledership had to of happened a while back (the Rudd challenge timing was correct), but it wasn't to be, and I am sure marginal Labor MP's will be kicking themselves come election time, I feel having Rudd as leader, while maybe not winning the election, he would have able to help retain the marginal Labor seats.

Though, a lot can happen between now and September. At least the footy will be back in a month to block out some of the political campaigning.

Federal election will be held September 14 4 years 10 months ago #4784

• Stefan
  • Thank you received: 39
very smart move by gillard. This decision actually puts the spotlight onto Abbott. The more he speaks, the closer the election will become. His lack of policy will now become the focus. brilliant strategy IMO

Federal election will be held September 14 4 years 10 months ago #4786

• Kevin
  • Panthers Hate Parra
  • Thank you received: 186
Stefan wrote:
very smart move by gillard. This decision actually puts the spotlight onto Abbott. The more he speaks, the closer the election will become. His lack of policy will now become the focus. brilliant strategy IMO

Ordinarily I don't like talking Politics, but I must say, how sad is it that we have a situation of, if wingnut shuts his mouth he's a chance of beating the Ranga who got to power through "canudling" with parties who ordinarily wouldn't get a say.

It will be interesting to hear what new policies are tabled, already o'l Tone has taken the Homer step and stated he will can everything from the regime before him....Awesome, got anything new for us Tone.

If Joe Hockey was the Leader of the Opposition, he could sleep through the Election process and turn up for swearing in Sept 15, as it stands today, who knows which Gumby will be chief in the future.

8 Months of Political Rhetoric :sick:

Federal election will be held September 14 4 years 10 months ago #4788

• Tylooper
  • Thank you received: 197
Even John Hewson would win this election for the Coalition. I wouldn't be surprised if it's called from the exit polls alone.

A new stadium for the great people of western Sydney please Mr Abbott. Make it multi-purpose and let the kiddies have the same entertainment opportunities as those closer to the city.

Federal election will be held September 14 4 years 10 months ago #4789

• Stefan
I am not a huge fan of gillard but I also think there is little alternative in Tony Abbott. Malcolm Turbull would be a much better opposition candidate for the Liberals. A consideration for many would be NSW, QLD and VIC currently have liberal governments who are slashing services left, right and centre

I think that this election will be closer than a lot of people anticipate.
Last Edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Stefan.

Federal election will be held September 14 4 years 10 months ago #4790

• Nads J
  • Thank you received: 130
Tylooper wrote:
Even John Hewson would win this election for the Coalition. I wouldn't be surprised if it's called from the exit polls alone.

A new stadium for the great people of western Sydney please Mr Abbott. Make it multi-purpose and let the kiddies have the same entertainment opportunities as those closer to the city.

We will actually be able to call the election by 10am on election day.

we are a conservative society by nature so when we are motivated for change there are queues at the polling booths from 8am till about 11am

This was the case last State Election. It will take sheer stupidity on the coalition's part to blow this chance. Having said that Big Bazza may need to be kept out of the limelight for the next 8 months.

Out in Western Sydney this issue of Radio Active Waste being transferred from Hunters Hill to Kemps Creek will cost the coalition votes already. What next?
The views expressed above are my own. If you find these views offensive please follow the complaints process. Or just skip reading what I post.

follow me @NadsJcarta

Federal election will be held September 14 4 years 10 months ago #4793

If a week is a long time in politics, eight months will be an Eternity!

B)
The following user(s) said Thank You   mutley

Federal election will be held September 14 4 years 10 months ago #4794

• mutley
Looking at the two main options we have, I can only think that if there was ever a time we needed a strong third option, now is it. Neither leader does anything for me, and there seems to be little difference between the two parties. Unless one of them comes up with something that really impresses me, I will probably be voting for one of the minor parties.

Federal election will be held September 14 4 years 10 months ago #4795

• Jagman
  • Out of the darkness we will come!!
  • Thank you received: 150
mutley wrote:
Looking at the two main options we have, I can only think that if there was ever a time we needed a strong third option, now is it. Neither leader does anything for me, and there seems to be little difference between the two parties. Unless one of them comes up with something that really impresses me, I will probably be voting for one of the minor parties.

I totally agree, but we have a 2 party mentality in this country. We had the Australian Democrats and they really had some good moderate, centered policies. The 2 major parties have both become much more mainstream and squeezed the Democrats out. Some of it was their own doing, but at their height they were getting over 10% of the popular vote.

Times have changed as people have given the Greens a fair run, but with their (sorry tree huggers) radical polices they are hard to vote for. And with the Independents holding the country to ransom I also wish we had a third moderate party...trouble is...who the hell would bother with all the heartache.

I compare it to the airline industy, where we had Compass 1 (not 2...I can't blame people the second time round), and people failed to support it, and because of that we had to wait until we had somebody with the financial backing & commitment from Richard Branson. Now we have Tiger, and while several merger talks have taken place...we still have a highly competitive market.

Both Labor and the Liberals have become policy lazy, and the honour of politics is at a low. We can only live in hope that one day we will be lucky enough to have a PM with a vision for both ends of town. When I see a party that understands the true importance of Schools, Hospitals & the essential services, and still understand big business they will get my vote.

Over the last 20-30 years this country has been stripped bare at all levels of politics buy both parties of it's 'cash cows' just to fund a reelection promise.

End Rant :)
Life is a lesson that some never learn.

Federal election will be held September 14 4 years 10 months ago #4796

• Lord Numb
  • Thank you received: 64
Those pork barrels will be even bigger than usual this time.
So many idiots; so few villages.

Federal election will be held September 14 4 years 10 months ago #4803

• Steve Tidball
mutley wrote:

The problem is, each party does have a better second option, but are not playing it. Clearly Rudd and Turnbull are better options to what we have, and may give people a reason to vote for their corresponding parties.

At the moment it's like voting for the devil you know against the devil you don't.

It kind of legitimately scares me that Tony Abbott could possibly be 7 months away from running this country.

Federal election will be held September 14 4 years 10 months ago #4813

• mutley
Steve Tidball wrote:
mutley wrote:

The problem is, each party does have a better second option, but are not playing it. Clearly Rudd and Turnbull are better options to what we have, and may give people a reason to vote for their corresponding parties.

At the moment it's like voting for the devil you know against the devil you don't.

It kind of legitimately scares me that Tony Abbott could possibly be 7 months away from running this country.
I wonder if either party would risk a leadership change over the next few months. On one hand, it could be political suicide, but on the other, it could be the masterstroke that wins them the election.
Last Edit: 4 years 10 months ago by mutley.

Federal election will be held September 14 4 years 10 months ago #4815

• Stefan
steve has hit the nail on the head once again... tony abbott as PM, scary stuff. It would be enough to make me consider options outside of this great country

Federal election will be held September 14 4 years 10 months ago #4817

• Steve Tidball
I can pretty much put my cards on the table right now. I am pretty certian I will be voting Labor for 2 primary reasons;

1. The member for Lindsay, David Bradbury, is a excellent MP and had put the people of Penrith high on his list or priorities. You only have to look at the recent 'Kemps Creek Radioactive Dump' plan, and the work that Prue Car, Chris Bowen and David Bradbury have done to prevent this from happening, of which a key promise by Barry O'Farrell in the state election was that this site would no go ahead.

2. Despite Labors shortcomings and the what I would call 'lacklustre' performance since Rudds departure, in a minority government, amazingly they have got a lot done, and on top of that the opposition have not put forward a credible alternative government. A this point I could deal with another 3 years of Gillard, but I couldn't say the same about 3 years of Abbott.
Last Edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Steve Tidball. Reason: Corrected PM term to 3 years

Federal election will be held September 14 4 years 10 months ago #4818

• Kevin
  • Panthers Hate Parra
  • Thank you received: 186
mutley wrote:
Steve Tidball wrote:
mutley wrote:
I wonder if either party would risk a leadership change over the next few months. On one hand, it could be political suicide, but on the other, it could be the masterstroke that wins them the election.

It would be a masterstroke for the opposition, and only political suicide for the Individuals, and that's what gets under my skin, they talk party this and party that, but blind freddy can see these current "Leaders" are not the best option, yet they will not giveup their pay packet and even more importantly the Title for the betterment of the Country, and that right there is the root cause of distrust....for me anyway.

I agree Steve, we need change....some kind of change, but Abbott as the face of Australia ha ha haaaaa

Just picture the next Summit and he strides out in his budgies for an early dip in the Pool :pinch:

Federal election will be held September 14 4 years 10 months ago #4849

• Lord Numb
  • Thank you received: 64
Steve Tidball wrote:

2. Despite Labors shortcomings and the what I would call 'lacklustre' performance since Rudds departure, in a minority government, amazingly they have got a lot done, and on top of that the opposition have not put forward a credible alternative government. A this point I could deal with another 4 years of Gillard, but I couldn't say the same about 4 years of Abbott.

1. I think the term is 3 years (Personally I would prefer 4 or 5).
2. I have a sneaky suspicion that come Yom Kippur the coalition might have a different leader (Possibly with the christian name of Malcolm).
So many idiots; so few villages.

Federal election will be held September 14 4 years 10 months ago #4856

• Steve Tidball
Lord Numb wrote:

Your right. For some reason I had my head stuck in state politics (probably to do with the radioactive dump issue)

Lord Numb wrote:
2. I have a sneaky suspicion that come Yom Kippur the coalition might have a different leader (Possibly with the christian name of Malcolm).

I don't see it happening, Turnbull isn't seen as 'conservative' enough to run the coalition. Many in the Liberal party seem to think he would be better suited to the Labor Party.
Last Edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Steve Tidball.

Federal election will be held September 14 4 years 10 months ago #4857

• Moparmutt
  • Thank you received: 45
Unfortunately Steve If Malcom was Liberal leader I'm postive there would be no doubt about the election winner and no even Workcover could change the outcome.

Federal election will be held September 14 4 years 10 months ago #4862

• Steve Tidball
Moparmutt wrote:
Unfortunately Steve If Malcom was Liberal leader I'm postive there would be no doubt about the election winner and no even Workcover could change the outcome.

Luckily for the Labor Party it won't happen. I feel the same about Rudd. If it came down to Rudd v Abbott, then Labor could come out a winner.

Federal election will be held September 14 4 years 10 months ago #4866

• StrawberryBlonde
  • @MrBowls @PDJRLUpdates @PanthersWeekly
  • Thank you received: 72
Personally, the genuine lack of alternative policy from the shadow cabinet worries me greatly, the Liberal party, since their displacement in 2007, have become far too adept at tearing down the Labor party's policy without creating anything tangible of their own.

As a fellow redhead, I can only hope for atleast 3 more years of our dear and venerable leader.
Member #13736 #WeOwnTheWest #PantherPride

Federal election will be held September 14 4 years 10 months ago #4872

• Moparmutt
  • Thank you received: 45
Now a Rudd Vs Turnbull election would be an interesting idea.
  • Page: