[2021] R14 Sharks v Panthers - Game Day Thread

This team reminds me of when we were coached by Griffen.

2 Likes

I think we are playing better than last week, but not much. Our attack is still rudderless. Maybe Koroisau or Kenny into the halves - May is offering nothing.

As per usual, there have been some interesting decisions from Klein.

1 Like

May is topping the try assists.

Seriously we need to make some changes or this will get ugly

1 Like

Good second half, probably unlucky to lose in the end. Burton easily our best, but a number of other contributors.

1 Like

A much improved second half.

Burton was magic, but big thanks to Martin backing up from Origin, Kenny in the middle and Tago added some spark that Momo lacks.

Bad luck to loose, but hopefully that’s our last loss till origin 2022

1 Like

:mega: Panther Pride Man of the Match voting is now open here.

https://bit.ly/35aExMN

The usual suspects have been very quiet tonight. I guess they realise how close they came to losing against half a side, who only played half a game
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

5 out has proven to be too big a step for Panthers. Mind you with our firsts front row intact I expected a more spirited performance from the team as a whole. Our depth is lacking and team spirit is on pause.

This is going to be a long, long season. What we do know now is that certain players have not quite transitioned to the level of others in the squad. Still, an improvement on our last outing. We need to refresh and pickup where we left off last month.

1 Like

the learning from these last 2 losses is we simply have no one to steer the side around if we lose Cleary and that is deeply troubling.

The worst case scenario for us would be to lose Cleary and Luai for an extended period or at worst the season.

May is patently not up to the task and is in my view not up to the NRL standard and we need to look elsewhere in our squad to bring through another option from the bench

It was touched on in another thread we may be light on forward depth and that is now also plain to see with ones i believed would begin to shine are not transitioning as hoped.

We have played 2 very ordinary teams over the last 2 weeks and have failed. I understand we are missing many good players but wasn’t Cleary (Ivan) championing our systems and processes?

The losses may come to serve us well and i hope they do but remain very cautious now and its how we respond as a group in the coming weeks which is key.

I’m hearing API has a tripping charge to face.

yet … Munster can kick out at a Panther (SOO) player already on the ground and get a slap on the wrist. This game of football is quite unique isn’t it. Make the rules up as we go !!!

2 Likes

Does Staines need some tackling practice?
Does Jennings need catching practice?
Is Leniu on the nose with IC?
Is there a place for Tago in the full-strength team?
With Cronulla having a virtual error-free round, is this another example of a team lifting for the Penrith game?
How good is Martin? He shows that attitude is as important as supposed talent.

2 Likes

OK, we may have lost the two games and the streak is but a memory, but the season begins again next Fri night.
As I wrote last week, I am confident that IC knows a lot more about our squad today than he did two weeks ago. And, there are reasons that the best players in the game mostly get paid much more than others players.
I am pretty sure that taking Yeo, NC & Luai out of any team would make it difficult for them to win & the game management we lose is principally the difference. Players just try to do things that are not in their job description & so the execution is lost and in some ways they don’t even do what they normally do.
A missed tackle, Jennings failing to even contest a bomb & we’ re 2 tries behind. Not holding Tracey (a midget) up & taking into touch led to the 3rd try. Add in a few strange Klieny’s & we’re 18-0 behind.
May 0 kicks for 0m left it all to Burton who came up with some kicks that I could have done better with my slippers on.
A bit of possession and suddenly the frailties of the gummies became apparent. Suddenly we have the momentum & we could have, probably should have, won a game that we were out of at the break.
Lines through May, Momorovski, Jennings for the games ahead, and a rocket up Charlie that he needs to turn and chase & hopefully make a tackle.
Burton got us in a position to win the game, but no-one played better then Edwards who tried his heart out all game, including being the chaser on the FG.
Lack of game awareness was apparent when, close to the end we had a chance to work for a FG, or at least field position. & Burto on the last went down the short side & passed to Critter who threw a no-looker to the touchie as Jennnings was down injured back downfield having been injured early in the set.
For me this was deja vu from 2018 final - the game was almost identical & the gummies won that with just as ugly a FG.
We can win this damn thing come Oct & it would be perfect to beat the $torm in the GF. Keep the faith.

3 Likes

My take on our weakness and failure;

We struggled coming out of our own 20 on multiple occasions; missing To’o and some lazy forward efforts (excluding JFH, Martin and Leota).

Our attacking structure is built upon a middle extra ball player; missing Yeo. It was obvious the difference in having a ball playing Kenny at lock in the second half. Hopgood is young and inexperienced, Eisenhuth is a plodder.

We certainly missed Capewell as while Sorensen played a lot better than last week, he still strikes me as more a centre than second rower, and a bench player at that.

We struggled to get the ball to Staines outside a last ditch pass on the line. Not sure it’s coaching or just Momo being Momo. Tago played quite good when he came on, looks a lot more comfortable at centre than 2nd row. I can excuse him for not fitting into the back line movements as he is new, no such excuse for Momo.

Jennings was ok, but is clearly a backup only and not at first grade level.

Finally to the elephant in the room, May looks fat and unfit. He lacks any kind of speed and his dummy passes fool nobody. With his form at the moment I wouldn’t even have him on the bench, even if he can play any position on the field. To me this game proves Kenny will be more valuable on the bench.

2 Likes

Momo does not seem to like passing left to right or he’s not able to for some reason. It was evident earlier in the season but I figured he might have a minor injury that’s hampering his action. So, our fastest man becomes a spectator, not ideal eh?

I feel a bit hit to the side (maybe more than NC And JL being out) was the absence of Yeo and Capewell.

The work rate and the low amount of errors really take a sizeable chunk off the load of the forwards. Without them, over the last two weeks, the forwards have been handling the weight of that extra work and it showed.

You will see the difference this week with their return.

1 Like

I think everyone has pretty much covered my sentiments on the game.

I would like to point out that, whilst watching the replay (I was away for the w/end) knowing the score, it painted a very grim refereeing picture. The 6 again’s were that one sided it was borderline cheating.

For mine, it appears there may be an edict or maybe just some convo at refs training that we need to see closer contests, the blow out scores from a few weeks ago seem to have somewhat disappeared, I didn’t watch any games and i know there are a couple of 40’s in there, but the opposition are also getting across the stripe even though they are being dominated. Case in point, Bulldogs v Panthers a few weeks back (where i think it started) they were “allowed” to lay over us and dominate the ruck, yet we were pinged regularly, kept them in it till half time at which point we were being refereed equally…

In the gummies game, Aaron Woods (the fat heap should have been belted with 15 seconds to go :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:) had a moment where there was a slight momentum change to them, Klein yells out ‘off him’ just as he hits the ground, yet when we had them F@#$ed in the 2nd half, they had 3 tackles were floppers got away with it…Grrrrrrrrrr end rant

1 Like