[2024] R23 Eels v Panthers - Game Day Thread

I usually like to wait a few days after a win, then enjoy a replay on Kayo. I don’t think that I’m that much of a masochist to do that this week, unless I do a heap of fast-forwarding. Were the first 70 or so minutes the worst that our top team has played over the past 5 years? Respect for possession was little on display, and there seems to be only a passing acquaintance with the rules of the game.

Turuva is penalised for an miscued self preservation action that did not cause any injury; did he even make contact with the defender? But a few years back Oates put his spikes into Mansour’s face, with a terrible result. And the outcome was – drumroll – nothing to see here, folks.

Tango must be a coach’s nightmare, the epitome of rocks and diamonds. His rushing up and in is sometimes spot-on, but this year has more often led to a gift try and an invitation to every other NRL opponent to attack down that side.

Our forward stocks are starting to look thin, with a bunch unavailable this week. Against Melbourne, with their monsters, that could be a deciding factor. If any more go down before the finals, it will really test our depth.

And in the midst of the carnage against Parra, Yeo stood tall, yet again. Is there any characteristic of a leader that he doesn’t display, week in, week out?

Final comment ; With a bit of a reference to the gutless act on Eisenhuth (like James on RCG a few years back), there is an aspect of the third-man-in furore that is never mentioned. The media pontificate about the height and speed of the third man, but the key aspect has never been mentioned (to my knowledge). This is ‘direction’. The knees are hinge joints. A hit from in front could end a career. A hit from the side could be the same. But a hit from behind would generally fold the knee in, with little damage if any.

2 Likes

HOW GOOD !

I was with Yuk fans watching the game at the club, when Marto went off, even they said woo hoo 14 against 12…