Anthony Griffin Released

according to radio reports this morning, appears Bennett will join the tiges, who may release IC to come to us early. Whether that is for '19 or '20 was not stated.

So pretty much in line with predicted earlier.

So, we didn’t sign IC to get NC (according to Gould) but we will have both. I am not sure that all our eggs in the 1 basket is our best bet, as I’m not convinced that IC is who Gould thinks he is, or at least that he hasn’t changed that much in 3 years since he sacked him??

yeah but he’s not tired, we are, of this whole drawn out saga. :confused:

2 Likes

I don’t think IC has really been given a chance with a team that is ready for a premiership shot.

From the Warriors to the Panthers to the Tigers, he has been given “fixer-uppers”. He built each team up only to then move on, I can only imagine how fatiguing that would be.

Maybe IC returning to Penrith is him wanting to enjoy the fruits of his labour so to speak.

Time will tell.

Yes maybe right Steve. Maybe if we did not have that terrible 2015 where injuries ripped us apart, IC would not have been deemed tired & Griffin may not have seemed such a great solution to a perceived problem - he must have knocked Gould’s socks off on that visit to Red Hill :grin: Note: he was still knocking his socks off a year ago now when he extended his contract, before someone else grabbed him :wink:

Having made the playoffs the seasons before, even a slightly better '15 would have seen IC kept on, & maybe we could have secured a title in '16, '17 or '18 under him - we’ll never know now. As Gould said, maybe he made a mistake when he sacked him, but it doesn’t matter now!

I hope now that the tiges do release IC for '19, so both clubs can get on with life. Two years with an interim coach like CC is not ideal for on-going success.

Michael Magurie is set to ink a 3 year deal with the Tigers, allowing Ivan Cleary to move to the Panthers for 2019.

1 Like

Well, that came out of left field didn’t it?

…who pays Cleary’s contract out ??? :thinking:

Does anybody pay out Ivan’s contract? Wests have a new coach coming in and they can release Ivan now and not have to continue having them on the books, or keep him on out of spite and keep shelling out coin for Ivan to stay.

Wests are not a rich club, they can ill afford to keep Cleary on, and keeping him hostage will hurt them more than it hurts us.

I would assume Wests will just release Ivan and cut their losses on this one. It’s a no win situation for them.

Seems like a seamless changeover to me although Wests Tigers may ask for, and be refused, compensation.
What I am more interested in is the on-going relationship with Cleary Snr and one Augustus Gould.

Gus is looking tired, maybe he’ll go this time around. :wink:

1 Like

The Tigers have announced Ivan’s release, and the signing of Michael Maguire. Only a matter of time now before Penrith announce Ivan, I expect.

Now that would be ironic because, if I remember correctly, tiredness was Gus’ excuse to get rid of Ivan last time.

All’s well that ends well! You guys can argue the moral high and low ground of this coaching negotiations, but for mine, we have played them like a fiddle. We end up with both the Cleary’s! Of which my many Tiger friend conversations I have had, they were sure they (Cleary’s) were both going to be in black and gold a few months ago.

I don’t mind Ivan and was disappointed when he left Panthers.
Having said that, I’m not so sure pairing father & son is the best move.
What if Nathan’s form drops off, will dad flick him in the best interests
of the team? Just sayin. It may not be the perfect pairing people think.
Geez I had some real dust ups with my ole man at home, I was too
much like him. I couldn’t imagine working with him as well ! :slightly_smiling_face:

and another thing,
Maloney won’t be there for 5 years to take some of the heat !!!
Nathan’s got a lot of growing up to do, hope he makes it.

I think the issue will be, who is going to dominate the ‘coaching’ I sincerely doubt Ivan will have a game plan akin to the Gus mindset, I.e. “this is the brand of football we want to play” rather he will want to build his own unique vision on how to achieve the best results. Watch this space as they say, but either way, let’s hope if their is an issue, Gus finally realises HE may be the issue!

Gus needs to just stand back and let the coaching staff coach. His intervention has ruined the first coaching stint of Ivan Cleary, and then subsequently ruined the coaching stint of Anthony Griffin.

I can only imagine that part of Ivan’s condition of return involved Gus taking a back seat. I can only hope that Gus does so for the sake of the team.

I’ll believe that when I see it, or when hell freezes over, which ever happens first. Anyway, seems we have got to where we wanted to be, so no excuses now. The 5 year plan resets and we are off & running :-):grin:

100% mrwalker, the bullshit stops right now.

I haven’t been very keen in the past few years, but I’m getting a good feeling about our group. One key factor will be the CC debate, what is his role now, does he still have a ‘1st grade’ desire?

Bring on 2019!!!

Now that the Griffin issues is well over, and the coaching situation going forward has now been clarified, I think it’s time to put this one to bed.

This thread is now closed. To continue discussion regarding the new coaching direction please go to the Ivan Cleary signing thread.

1 Like