Nominations - Greatest Panthers Hooker never to play in a Grand Final

My first choice would be Peter Wallace, but with him already selected at Halfback, I’m going to have to think a bit harder to come up with an answer…

Pommy Mike Stephenson ???

2 Likes

Hookers (Not played a Grand Final and >20 matches)

Player Apperances
Mike Stephenson 69
Danny Farrar 68
Brett Boyd 56
Jamie Jones 36
James Segeyaro 33
Mitchell Kenny 25
Sione Utia-Katoa 25
Paul Aiton 24
George Longhurst 21

Hookers (Ineligible. Played in a Grand Final)

Player Apperances Reason Ineligible
Royce Simmons 217 Penrith (1990, 1991)
Luke Priddis 160 Penrith (2003)
Kevin Kingston 101 Parramatta (2009)
Craig Gower 57 Penrith (2003)
Peter Wallace 53 Already Selected (Halfback)
Apisai Koroisau 46 Penrith (2020, 2021) South Sydney (2014)
Brad Drew 30 Parramatta (2001)
1 Like

Just a mention of one of the early stalwarts for the Panthers. Ron Workman played 93 games at hooker 67-72. Again like so many of the era, he was tough & gave 100% every game.

1 Like

Surprised Ron Workman isn’t on the list. He played in our first ever game & was around from late 60’s to early 70’s.

Good, honest player & tough. He & Geary made a good fist of the ftont row in a time when scrums were actual contests.

Other than that, Mick Stephenson would have to be up there. He was a real good player & gave a lot to the club after he came out from England.
He was even captain/coach at one point, if I’m not mistaken Sadly, I don’t think the club really backed him 100%, whether that’s because he wasn’t a local or not, I don’t know.

But, seeing as Workman isn’t on the list, probably Stephenson, although others like Farrar & Boyd had their moments.

1 Like

I’ll add Workman to the list when we vote. His favoured position was hooker, and he played enough games to suggest that he would make the cutoff, even though the stats aren’t available for his era.

3 Likes

Workman doesn’t have well kept records from where I collect those records.

1 Like

yes, as we saw with some earlier players, there are some issues with records prior to early 70’s. The ‘master’ list of players in number order has scant details eg no positions or scoring stats etc. just years played & number of games. There are some records on the RL project & mighty panthers sites but nothing I’ve found with the complete records. Anyway, it’s fun thinking back to the old days - I’m starting to sound like my Dad :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This was the reason I wanted to do a nominations week for each position. We have turned up a few players where there haven’t been sufficient records. I wouldn’t be surprised if we find a few more before we are finished.

2 Likes

I’ll vote for Stephenson, Mitch Kenny needs a couple more years under his belt (mind you he will probably win a gf with us).

Wall has already secured number 7, if he had missed out he would of got my vote.

If we allowed players to be nominated I. Positions other than what they played in a gf, Gower would probably top the list, but rules are rules so no cigar.

1 Like

Maybe a possibility for a future series

1 Like
A Recycled Pixel website.
DISCLAIMER

The opinions expressed on Panther Pride are not necessarilly those of the sites owners.
Panther Pirde or Recycled Pixel accept no responsibility for articles presented, their ownership or implications of ownership.
Panther Pride accepts no responsibility for inadvertant copyright breaches. This website does not have any affiliation with the National Rugby League (NRL). or the Penrith Panthers Rugby League Football Club, nor business connection and has not been endorsed by the National Rugby League or Penrith Panthers.
ROLL CALL